ADVERTISEMENT

Where does Serra go from here?

Both Serra and Riordan had a strong freshman class. Serra with its overall depth in roster numbers kept almost all of them on its freshman team and took the Frosh title. Riordan had 5 freshman starters and/or saw significant minutes on varsity and the others played JVs. Finishing with only 2 losses.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Irish_Cheers
First of all Yes. MD and Bosco are dominant teams. Let's not hide from that fact, definite powerhouses.
However, it's not just and only that. DeLsalle folks have it correct and are right when they say EXECUTION is a major factor. To say Serra executed a game plan at a high level is incorrect. Blocked punts and several special teams miscues. Fumbles everywhere especially on regular snap exchanges. Blown coverages where receivers broke straight down the middle of the field for bombs. Even DeLasalle would say beat our team short, but you ain't gonna beat us deep. For Mater Dei, short, medium as well as Long was wide open all night.
Serra had Zero points. ZERO. DeLasalle scored points and were competitive, why? Their EXECUTION.
DeLasalle has played a national schedule before in the past. So does MD and Bosco. Serra I don't think plays a tough preseason schedule.
So for sure a tough title game for Serra, but one cannot say definite reason was dominance. Serra execution and preparedness was sorely lacking
If DLS is so good at executing, why didn’t they score against Serra?

If DLS is so good at executing, why didn’t they score against Serra?
They were running that Hybrid Veer nonsense that they could not execute ….

And remember, the first time MD and SJB played this year MD lost 28-0…..

MD had the opportunity to play SJB a second time and won 35-7….. Maybe if DLS got a Second shot at Serra this year they beat Serra….

I think there should be a separation of publics and privates, but there will still be dominant teams. No matter how you split it, there will always be teams that control the titles. I think the advantages that most private schools have is what bothers people the most
What about the "Open Enrollment " publics? They've got the same advantage the private schools have in terms of getting players who aren't necessarily local kids. Do you lump them in with the privates?

What about the "Open Enrollment " publics? They've got the same advantage the private schools have in terms of getting players who aren't necessarily local kids. Do you lump them in with the privates?
I think there is a difference between Serra/De La Salle and Folsom. But you are correct that there are publics that have advantages that other publics don't in terms of open enrollment. And while a separation of competing is needed, it is almost impossible to draw lines.

Reactions: NCS707
I like the Private and Public separation. There should also be an option for any public school to opt up with the Privates. My $.02

Reactions: RidgeRider
I think there is a difference between Serra/De La Salle and Folsom. But you are correct that there are publics that have advantages that other publics don't in terms of open enrollment. And while a separation of competing is needed, it is almost impossible to draw lines.
Why can't there be a classification for open enrollment publics? It's just as unfair to the boundary public schools. Its easier than the private schools. The Serras and DLS's are tuition based. Every student has to be accountable for that $ amount. Whether its full scholarship, part scholarship (parents working partly to pay some costs at the school) there is a financial accounting for that student's presence. Open enrollment public's dont have to concern themselves with any of that red tape. At most, its just a matter of using an address. So Id advocate for 1 Privates, 2 Open Enrollment Publics3 Boundary Publics. That is, if the goal is equitable competition

Why can't there be a classification for open enrollment publics? It's just as unfair to the boundary public schools. Its easier than the private schools. The Serras and DLS's are tuition based. Every student has to be accountable for that $ amount. Whether its full scholarship, part scholarship (parents working partly to pay some costs at the school) there is a financial accounting for that student's presence. Open enrollment public's dont have to concern themselves with any of that red tape. At most, its just a matter of using an address. So Id advocate for 1 Privates, 2 Open Enrollment Publics3 Boundary Publics. That is, if the goal is equitable competition
not all privates are equal... they dont want to play where they arent able to compete.

not all privates are equal... they dont want to play where they arent able to compete.
That's true, Those high end privates can compete among themselves. They are a small number compared to the majority of private schools.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT