ADVERTISEMENT

Will there be High School FB this fall?

Your statement conveyed in a very succinct way that you disagree with the governor. Stating that you disagree with a politician is by its definition a political statement.
Pointedly voicing your opinion about a someone disagreeing with the governor is a political statement. Most interesting is how many have rolled over and accepted their fate of staying home and out of work at the political discretion of "public servants". If that impacts sports, including football, I have no problem discussing it here unless it is against the guidelines. Is it?

Israeli's ma
Your statement conveyed in a very succinct way that you disagree with the governor. Stating that you disagree with a politician is by its definition a political statement.
Please. You are the one making assumptions and a political statement. It is a statement that this governor is conservative in his approach and would say the same if the governor was in another party. I didn't even state whether I agree or disagreed with his approach and just stated facts (e.g., what he stated earlier and the fact that one of the criteria is a therapeutic needs to be around) that will impact getting back to normal. It is you in a very succinct way that is making a political statement. Just because George Papadopolous follows my twitter feed doesn't mean I disagree or agree with my fellow Bronco alumnus policies and steps related to the pandemic.

And by the way, I have attended fundraisers and contributed to more than one Congress members that I know personally for years that belong to the other party I don't belong to. I've also helped and funded a competitor to my son's mom who is a state assembly member in my party and running again now. The point is my political views have nothing to do with the point I made on this thread related to the Governor's policies or steps.

Last edited:
Not to belittle anybody's POV. I do have to take issue with "rolling over" at the discretion of public servants. I am staying at home whether or not by government mandate and would do so simply based on personal experience.
Just before Thanksgiving I suffered an ischemic stroke which caused a power outage to the entire left side of my body. I woke up in the ER a one legged butt kicker with my left arm as useless as tits on a bull and my face drooping down towards my chin like a candle left too close to the campfire. For someone who had never spent a day in a hospital since his original day of birth this was a nightmare....eating, cleanliness and basic body functions all attended by others.....total strangers. Finall after intensive attention/care by hospital nurses and therapists I was paroled from Acute Recovery on Valentine's Day and wheeled home to my family.
The personal experience of this rant is that one of the primary nurses who spent a lot of time with me, convincing me that the half of my body that was still firing far outweighed the half that had went on a shutdown wildcat strike, she had recently died from Covoid -19. Furthermore a couple other nurses were now testing positive for the Virus.
Unrelated to my hospital sabbatical, Mrs. Concrete, a school teacher, learned that the parent of one of her 4th grade students, a mechanic here in the East Bay is in a hospital ICU having tested positive.
I fully believe there is a respiratory airborne killer lurking among us that strikes when the opportunity presents itself. AND UNTIL full testing, a vaccine and a medicinal cure are finally, readily available I will continue to support a shelter in place and wear a respitory mask as a precaution.

Suicides and non-recoverable economy (?), I have strong faith that the people and the system will prevail. Maybe my stroke made me deaf to the handwringings of those on the Left and the Right. As to the effect it has on our kids I don't see it as the total collapse of HS sports. Fires, hurricanes and massive floods have wiped out communities and their respective schools/programs and they persevered into the next season. Because of the 'swelter in place' I haven't been able to return to my attending hospital, doctors or see any physiacl therapists for almost a month now but still I drag my concrete like body out of my wheel chair and push to working out to get my leg , arm and speech back in gear.

There...I just hung my gimp buttocks out the window take your shots. After the past 5 months I think I'm ready.
Stay smart Stay Healthy

peglegCrete17

Last edited:
Pointedly voicing your opinion about a someone disagreeing with the governor is a political statement. Most interesting is how many have rolled over and accepted their fate of staying home and out of work at the political discretion of "public servants". If that impacts sports, including football, I have no problem discussing it here unless it is against the guidelines. Is it?

Like, ....thumbs up

Reactions: Kickingtee18
Not to belittle anybody's POV. I do have to take issue with "rolling over" at the discretion of public servants. I am staying at home whether or not by government mandate and would do so simply based on personal experience.
Just before Thanksgiving I suffered an ischemic stroke which caused a power outage to the entire left side of my body. I woke up in the ER a one legged butt kicker with my left arm as useless as tits on a bull and my face drooping down towards my chin like a candle left too close to the campfire. For someone who had never spent a day in a hospital since his original day of birth this was a nightmare....eating, cleanliness and basic body functions all attended by others.....total strangers. Finall after intensive attention/care by hospital nurses and therapists I was paroled from Acute Recovery on Valentine's Day and wheeled home to my family.
The personal experience of this rant is that one of the primary nurses who spent a lot of time with me, convincing me that the half of my body that was still firing far outweighed the half that had went on a shutdown wildcat strike, she had recently died from Covoid -19. Furthermore a couple other nurses were now testing positive for the Virus.
Unrelated to my hospital sabbatical, Mrs. Concrete, a school teacher, learned that the parent of one of her 4th grade students, a mechanic here in the East Bay is in a hospital ICU having tested positive.
I fully believe there is a respiratory airborne killer lurking among us that strikes when the opportunity presents itself. AND UNTIL full testing, a vaccine and a medicinal cure are finally, readily available I will continue to support a shelter in place and wear a respitory mask as a precaution.

Suicides and non-recoverable economy (?), I have strong faith that the people and the system will prevail. Maybe my stroke made me deaf to the handwringings of those on the Left and the Right. As to the effect it has on our kids I don't see it as the total collapse of HS sports. Fires, hurricanes and massive floods have wiped out communities and their school systems/programs and they persevered into the next season. Because of the 'swelter in place' I haven't been able to return to my attending hospital, doctors or see any physiacl therapists for almost a month now but still I drag my concrete like body out of my wheel chair and push to working out to get my leg , arm and speech back in gear.

There...I just hung my gimp buttocks out the window take your shots. After the past 5 months I think I'm ready.
Stay smart Stay Healthy

peglegCrete17

Hang in there Crete!

Suicides and non-recoverable economy (?), I have strong faith that the people and the system will prevail. Maybe my stroke made me deaf to the handwringings of those on the Left and the Right. As to the effect it has on our kids I don't see it as the total collapse of HS sports. Fires, hurricanes and massive floods have wiped out communities and their school systems/programs and they persevered into the next season. Because of the 'swelter in place' I haven't been able to return to my attending hospital, doctors or see any physiacl therapists for almost a month now but still I drag my concrete like body out of my wheel chair and push to working out to get my leg , arm and speech back in gear.

Stay smart Stay Healthy

peglegCrete17
I hear you. Sorry for your heath issue. My wife and I are both at risk. She recovering Quad (now incomplete) and I on chemo for last few months (fortunately early stage and treatable cancer) having to have surgical procedure early next month. However, I think this can be managed by having those at risk, including myself, being protected by taking more of the precautions. Of course everyone has their part. Suspending all civil liberties and shutting down the economy for more than another month will have devastating impact on getting out of this which can take 5 years. People are losing everything right now. This virus has most likely 0.5% to 2% mortality. That is high but destroying the economy isn't the answer. Something like this will happen again and at some point we all will bite the bullet. I'm all for being reasonable in reducing the risk, but at some point the greater need of the many out ways the few. It is a hard fact if ultimately the solution destroys more than the original problem. In my capacity in my company and I get all the global economic data, if things don't change and people get back soon this will be even more tragic. Processes and change in behaviors need to be in place, but at some point things need to start up and there always may be some incidences happening until there is a viable vaccine but that could take over a year. This country isn't going to stop for a year.

Suicides and non-recoverable economy (?), I have strong faith that the people and the system will prevail. Maybe my stroke made me deaf to the handwringings of those on the Left and the Right. As to the effect it has on our kids I don't see it as the total collapse of HS sports. Fires, hurricanes and massive floods have wiped out communities and their respective schools/programs and they persevered into the next season. Because of the 'swelter in place' I haven't been able to return to my attending hospital, doctors or see any physiacl therapists for almost a month now but still I drag my concrete like body out of my wheel chair and push to working out to get my leg , arm and speech back in gear.

Stay smart Stay Healthy

peglegCrete17
Wishing continued progression with your physical condition/rehab Concrete! Stay strong!

Israeli's ma

Please. You are the one making assumptions and a political statement. It is a statement that this governor is conservative in his approach and would say the same if the governor was in another party. I didn't even state whether I agree or disagreed with his approach and just stated facts (e.g., what he stated earlier and the fact that one of the criteria is a therapeutic needs to be around) that will impact getting back to normal. It is you in a very succinct way that is making a political statement. Just because George Papadopolous follows my twitter feed doesn't mean I disagree or agree with my fellow Bronco alumnus policies and steps related to the pandemic.

And by the way, I have attended fundraisers and contributed to more than one Congress members that I know personally for years that belong to the other party I don't belong to. I've also helped and funded a competitor to my son's mom who is a state assembly member in my party and running again now. The point is my political views have nothing to do with the point I made on this thread related to the Governor's policies or steps.
Good post! It always amazes me how folks on here assume that others don’t have prominent acquaintances, relationships or interactions or direct knowledge, relationships, or interactions with the people involved with what we post about. There’s a reason why there’s aliases! None of us know who each of us knows!

I hear you. Sorry for your heath issue. My wife and I are both at risk. She recovering Quad (now incomplete) and I on chemo for last few months (fortunately early stage and treatable cancer) having to have surgical procedure early next month. However, I think this can be managed by having those at risk, including myself, being protected by taking more of the precautions. Of course everyone has their part. Suspending all civil liberties and shutting down the economy for more than another month will have devastating impact on getting out of this which can take 5 years. People are losing everything right now. This virus has most likely 0.5% to 2% mortality. That is high but destroying the economy isn't the answer. Something like this will happen again and at some point we all will bite the bullet. I'm all for being reasonable in reducing the risk, but at some point the greater need of the many out ways the few. It is a hard fact if ultimately the solution destroys more than the original problem. In my capacity in my company and I get all the global economic data, if things don't change and people get back soon this will be even more tragic. Processes and change in behaviors need to be in place, but at some point things need to start up and there always may be some incidences happening until there is a viable vaccine but that could take over a year. This country isn't going to stop for a year.

Sincere warm wishes to you both. Socially we are pretty isolated,....thanks for this portal... But this is a household of working individuals. Mrs Crete conducts classes and tutoring on line for her students, Crete 2.0 works for large engineering firm and has been working on line with a Kaiser hospital project in Hawaii and another project in Maryland and yours truly continues to generate & oversee Public Works "essential work" in the form of sidewalk & street repair with more work coming across my desk. From where I sit I see the patient still has a pulse and a heartbeat.
Stay smart, Stay healthy.

ironsidesCrete17

Sincere warm wishes to you both. Socially we are pretty isolated,....thanks for this portal... But this is a household of working individuals. Mrs Crete conducts classes and tutoring on line for her students, Crete 2.0 works for large engineering firm and has been working on line with a Kaiser hospital project in Hawaii and another project in Maryland and yours truly continues to generate & oversee Public Works "essential work" in the form of sidewalk & street repair with more work coming across my desk. From where I sit I see the patient still has a pulse and a heartbeat.
Stay smart, Stay healthy.

ironsidesCrete17
Thank you. Warm wishes to you and your wife as well. On another topic - this pandemic has seemed to have impacted newspapers including sports writers. I know of a prominent reporter that was furloughed due to the impact and lack of high school sports. Another reason things need to get back to some level of normalcy.

Stay smart Stay Healthy

peglegCrete17

Very best of good fortune and health going forward. Regards, The Colonel.

Here is the latest data on virus deaths on a Bay Area county-wide basis (presented in a form that highlights the actual risk of dying thus far in the pandemic) provided by the state of California and the counties themselves.

Alameda, one death per 72,478 people.
Contra Costa, one death per 104,545 people.
Marin, one death per 26,000 people.
San Francisco, one death per 58,866 people.
San Mateo, one death per 36,666 people.
Santa Clara, one death per 32,300 people.

Those numbers are calculated by dividing a county's total population by the number of current deaths due to the virus. As you can see, at least for now, Contra Costa County is by far the safest (or, if you prefer, the least affected) county in the Bay Area.

Last edited:
There is still time, but I don't see it happening.

Best case scenario is they allow some exhibition games in the spring.

There is talk of the sections (CCS) trying to preserve league games if this gets started late. Nonleague early season games would be first to go and they may do away with the regional and state games if the football season starts late and they move the season start back. This makes sense. Hopefully it doesn't come down to this but having at least league games and section playoffs wouldn't be the worst scenario and may be best scenario at this point.

Reactions: Bnavarra
The better question we should be asking is there a NorCalpreps without “preps” that play.

Games make it easier to find things to talk about, but as anyone who has been around for awhile knows, there are a few of us who don't run out of things to banter about :)

Maybe this break will allow us to find out the unanswerable question of who wins in 2014: Folsom vs. De La Salle

Games make it easier to find things to talk about, but as anyone who has been around for awhile knows, there are a few of us who don't run out of things to banter about :)

Maybe this break will allow us to find out the unanswerable question of who wins in 2014: Folsom vs. De La Salle

Hahjah. True. I hate politics so would rather talk sports any day. Just really hope we can weigh risk as we move forward. I hate to see kids get penalized.

Your point is being broached quite a lot lately. But just about everyone is being greatly harmed by either the virus itself or the quarantine-caused economic fallout, sometimes both. Teens are just part of a much bigger puzzle. The medical folks on the front lines (and workers in essential jobs dealing with the public) are the ones truly at physical risk on a daily basis. In some important ways, kids, athletes or not, are not being penalized any more than anyone else. In fact, they are being saved from potential serious harm whether they appreciate it or not. But I do get your point. It is risk vs. reward right now. When do we carefully begin to lift restrictions? Decision-makers are in a tough no-win spot. If they ease the new rules and the virus surges back and people die, there will be serious and loud recriminations. If they continue to allow the economy to implode, the results will be horrendous and criticism will grow. During World War II, college sports, in many cases, took a back seat to the fighting in Europe, Africa and the Pacific Theater. Programs, games, post-season events and other aspects were called off. College athletes, like their peers throughout the country, went off to war. So did some high school athletes. Thousands of these young men, many in their teens, perished. What's happening now is probably the closest thing we've experienced since those grim days and nights in the 1940s. It's not a shooting war per se. But it's a national emergency of the first order.

Last edited:
Probably in the minority but I think our reaction is way overblown. I really think crippling our country will far outweigh the virus impact. My opinion from when this started.

Not in the minority in my opinion I feel the same way. Not sure why people keep bringing up a vaccine as being the magic savior. That’s realistically 12 months away. And even if a vaccine is available many many people won’t get it. And they have a legal right not to, remember “my body my right” applies to everybody. We are already seeing people protest being locked down this won’t last.

It seems all this time off from school, many players are working hard on strength and conditioning. It may showing a magnified way in the season with those working on it and those taking time off with the pandemic.

Here is the latest data on virus deaths on a Bay Area county-wide basis (presented in a form that highlights the actual risk of dying thus far in the pandemic) provided by the state of California and the counties themselves.

Those numbers are calculated by dividing a county's total population by the number of current deaths due to the virus. As you can see, at least for now, Contra Costa County is by far the safest (or, if you prefer, the least affected) county in the Bay Area.

I live in Contra Costa County now and we just got word that the shelter in home will now extend until June. Then they will evaluate if the shelter home/place needs to be extended yet again here.

There are people that are losing their homes and apartments. A fair number of businesses that will never open again.

In my humble opinion the cure is worse than the disease.

I live in Contra Costa County now and we just got word that the shelter in home will now extend until June. Then they will evaluate if the shelter home/place needs to be extended yet again here.

There are people that are losing their homes and apartments. A fair number of businesses that will never open again.

Biggest overreaction of all time and now looks to be more politically motivated as it gets extended. I’ve had the same opinion since day 1. You have to live. You can’t hide forever. And if this is nature’s cleansing than that is part of life and has been for thousands of years.

It’s looking more and more like HS Football will Not be happening. The mental health toll alone will be worse than the disease.

Biggest overreaction of all time and now looks to be more politically motivated as it gets extended. I’ve had the same opinion since day 1. You have to live. You can’t hide forever. And if this is nature’s cleansing than that is part of life and has been for thousands of years.

It’s looking more and more like HS Football will Not be happening. The mental health toll alone will be worse than the disease.
You need help and it ain't even corona related.

Wait..what.,didn’t DLS beat Folsom in 2014.

Don’t agree with you often if ever but I find this assessment to be spot on. Don’t want to dive into the politics of it I know folks wouldn’t be able to handle it here.

The fact is that everyone is not dying from COVID 19 and it is a huge overreaction when compared to many other causes of death for which we have not shutdown an economy.
You and I havent died so correct everyone is not dying. However we have been forced to take precautions. If we werent who knows what would have happened. That is the problem. The who knows isnt worth it. There are plenty of smarter people than you and I making these decisions so I will trust them. I too thought it was just a flu. I definitely have changed that though.

You and I havent died so correct everyone is not dying. However we have been forced to take precautions. If we werent who knows what would have happened. That is the problem. The who knows isnt worth it. There are plenty of smarter people than you and I making these decisions so I will trust them. I too thought it was just a flu. I definitely have changed that though.
Actually almost everyone hasn't died, which was your statement 'everyone dying". Death is horrible whether its the flu, cancer, car accident, etc. The data is out there. Two separate studies have placed the mortality rate at that of the flu and vaccination for the flu currently exists. Posthumous COVID 19 has shown evidence that the disease has been around well before shelter in place. Unfortunately, a politician is not the one you would seek out as the smartest person in the room.

Actually almost everyone hasn't died, which was your statement 'everyone dying". Death is horrible whether its the flu, cancer, car accident, etc. The data is out there. Two separate studies have placed the mortality rate at that of the flu and vaccination for the flu currently exists. Posthumous COVID 19 has shown evidence that the disease has been around well before shelter in place. Unfortunately, a politician is not the one you would seek out as the smartest person in the room.

norbayfb....please provide link/ source s for 2 studies of comparative mortality rates

Thanks- C

I had it before it was a thing as well as people within my circle. So I agree it has been around. everyone dying went towards the conversation which was covid.
*lots of people dying of covid.

Not picking sides here because it's too early for me to make an education decision on if the orders were warranted or an over reaction. Better judgement tells me to air on caution, esp when kids are involved. Only in hindsight will we really understand all of this stuff. I'll assume That's when the real debate will occur. In the meantime we all can speculate. Which is fine unless our moderator feels otherwise. I personally enjoy the discussion and hope it continues. I find it interesting to hear the opinions, perspectives, and theories others may have( government take over, UFO'S, etc). I may not always agree but those opinions are always welcome. With that said maybe we can continue the conversation minus the name calling, please? I don't want things to go back to how things were a couple of years ago on this site. Keep the energy good

Reactions: northbayfb
Not picking sides here because it's too early for me to make an education decision on if the orders were warranted or an over reaction. Better judgement tells me to air on caution, esp when kids are involved. Only in hindsight will we really understand all of this stuff. I'll assume That's when the real debate will occur. In the meantime we all can speculate. Which is fine unless our moderator feels otherwise. I personally enjoy the discussion and hope it continues. I find it interesting to hear the opinions, perspectives, and theories others may have( government take over, UFO'S, etc). I may not always agree but those opinions are always welcome. With that said maybe we can continue the conversation minus the name calling, please? I don't want things to go back to how things were a couple of years ago on this site. Keep the energy good
yea cuz i am emotionally scared now.

Reactions: Sacchiefs

If shelter at homes extends through May without opening up businesses, you will see mass protests. They are already happening in SoCal at the beaches and with the closing in SoCal and not in NorCal, I would expect people will just not follow it and show up in mass.Things will be phased in and I heard even heard some golf courses in Alameda country may start to open in a week or two as long as they practice social distancing. With other states opening up, it will become more and more politically a problem to keep things on lockdown. Already I see HS athletes working out together at beaches and trails. At some point, a modified strategy will need to take place because the destruction of businesses and peoples livelihoods will out weigh the risk. I predict we are maybe 4 weeks away from more wider openning (with some modifications) and it will start phasing in in CA soon by fact that masses will not follow the laws. there is growing evidence for opening up the economy in other countries. Yes should be state by state basis, but after this quarters financial disaster when companies report - March was a disaster - the big corps and the growing masses of unemployed won't allow for another couple months of a shutdown economy.

Reactions: Sacchiefs
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT