ADVERTISEMENT

2018 WCAL Basketball: Top Ranked CCS Teams & How WCAL Rates

Still shaking my head at how bad Mitty looked tonight but give the Irish credit for protecting their home court. Surprised that Serra took VC to the woodshed on the road no less....

Why? Serra just beat Heritage and University without McDonald, not surprised at all. Im Surprised Riordan got rolled by 17

Reactions: Scott2138
Interesting looking at NCP's rankings SF #9. Bells #13, Serra #14 & Riordan #16 and undefeated VC nowhere to be found.
Are both S.I. and SHC not ranking worthy looking at 17-20?
Guessing Mitty was omitted strictly based upon record not taking into consideration teams they've played.

SHC was definitely in the running. SOS is lacking which left them out, but they have a case for being in. VC just hasn't played anyone and needs to show it can beat quality teams. Mitty has played a daunting schedule, but hasn't looked good doing it. Like I said on another thread, wouldn't be surprised if Mitty makes a run because of their talent and coaching, but it isn't showing right now.

I went to the game. Parity to the max. I can honestly say I’ve been to about 15-20 Mitty-SH matchups since Mitty became the juggernaut and have not witness one SH win.... until tonight. SH benefited from a very one-sided called game by the refs. Benefited from really inconsistent play by a usually well-coached Mitty team. I guess you will have a long night when the refs call virtually every foul on you. I am not complaining. Very happy with the win.

Some tidbits.

This team feeds on EJ’s defense (another two drawn charges). That end of the 3rd step back 3 was HUGE!

Mike Mitchell is young. He has a ways to go. I was not impressed, but as a freshman, you can only go up.

Not sure how Bryce Monroe will last the season without injuring himself from so many falls while attacking the basket.

SH needs more plays. They cannot count on iso clearout for Monroe all game long. Not many easy transition baskets as we don’t press since we don’t have size.

Oscar Cheng is not going to help. The kid looked lost, winded and awkward at times as if he still is growing into his tall frame. I wont have that much expectations other than seeing on the roster that there’s a kid that is 6’8”.

Reactions: SHgradSIdad
I went to the game. Parity to the max. I can honestly say I’ve been to about 15-20 Mitty-SH matchups since Mitty became the juggernaut and have not witness one SH win.... until tonight. SH benefited from a very one-sided called game by the refs. Benefited from really inconsistent play by a usually well-coached Mitty team. I guess you will have a long night when the refs call virtually every foul on you. I am not complaining. Very happy with the win.

Some tidbits.

This team feeds on EJ’s defense (another two drawn charges). That end of the 3rd step back 3 was HUGE!

Mike Mitchell is young. He has a ways to go. I was not impressed, but as a freshman, you can only go up.

Not sure how Bryce Monroe will last the season without injuring himself from so many falls while attacking the basket.

SH needs more plays. They cannot count on iso clearout for Monroe all game long. Not many easy transition baskets as we don’t press since we don’t have size.

Oscar Cheng is not going to help. The kid looked lost, winded and awkward at times as if he still is growing into his tall frame. I wont have that much expectations other than seeing on the roster that there’s a kid that is 6’8”.

SHC split with Mitty last year...and btw won at Mitty. It does appear that this Mitty team is not playing with any cohesion. Bryce Monroe is a tough dude, I have said all along he is a great running back..I wouldn't really worry about his style. Oscar Cheng seemed a little awkward but is still a project and is still growing. I agree Neal is the real deal and SHC should have a few more plays as the season progresses, but at this stage, just keep winning...is what they say.

After watching the Irish play, I will say they play hard and are very intense on the defensive side. They are a bit limited on Offense but have some playmakers when they needed them last night (not a recipe for success in the WCAL). I will take an ugly win over a pretty loss any day!!

This team will compete, win some games they should lose and lose some games they should win...it's part of the growth evolution and I expect exciting things down the road.

The big kid is a project but by osmosis.....should improve, just being around the team battling in practice and taking some lumps in league play

Reactions: m4success
SHC split with Mitty last year...and btw won at Mitty. It does appear that this Mitty team is not playing with any cohesion. Bryce Monroe is a tough dude, I have said all along he is a great running back..I wouldn't really worry about his style. Oscar Cheng seemed a little awkward but is still a project and is still growing. I agree Neal is the real deal and SHC should have a few more plays as the season progresses, but at this stage, just keep winning...is what they say.

Scott, realized they won @AM last year. Shouldve specified it was games I've attended. This is very much a MacKay-like team. Undersized, grind-it-out, and tough. His style is definitely different than Barbour. One incident in particular that I noticed was EJ had an errant offensive possession after checking back in. Immediately on a dead ball, he took him out and let him know that possession was terrible. Even your best players should know responsibilities and consequences. I really liked this technique. The figure-it-out method wore thin when you didnt have the players that were selfless enough to understand.

Lastly, I think Cheng would be better served getting major minutes on the JV level rather than the one segment in the 3rd quarter he got. I watched the JV game in the 3rd quarter and SH does not have a center. In fact the JV team is just a bunch of 3 point shooters.

Great win for the Irish. This was there first league game. Lots of gitters, as there was an unusual crowd on Ellis Street last night that also included College and Upper Level AAU Scouts. So much upside with this team. The 6'8 Kid did something last night that SHC will need down the stretch. Oscar altered shots, even in the limited minutes he received. Project is a true statement. He altered Mitty's shots. He didn't get the rebound, but his presence in the middle was enough and those SHC Vets will take that as they didn't even have that and we're still competitive in the pre-season. I say absolutely no to Oscar playing JV's as he will get increased minutes as he 'gets it' this season. Mind you this was the young man's first game as an Irish. Job well done as far as I'm concerned. Bellarmine at Bells Friday and the Bruce Mahoney Game at USF on the 9th. I can't wait as SHC won the Football Game so a SHC win on Tuesday will bring the trophy back to Ellis St. Not sure when was the last time SHC had the trophy.

Some tidbits.

When Emmett Neal, late in the 3rd Quarter, took 2 Charges in a row, set the House on fire and then ended the 3rd Quarter with a 3, that was a true monentum shift. Mitty became irritated and frustrated. SHC knows that many people don't really give them a chance in League, CCS or NorCals. This gives those kids a drive to make doubters believe. It's almost like I'm watching Hoosiers the original one lol

Why? Serra just beat Heritage and University without McDonald, not surprised at all. Im Surprised Riordan got rolled by 17

I guess that I was surprised that all of VC's hyped height didn't bother Serra more than it did. I guess having Coach Rapp back does make a HUGE difference. Serra's bigs play bigger than they are.... As far as Riordan their shooting is inconsistent - they'll live and die last night with their 3 point shooting unless Jelani is repeatedly slashing into the lane. Plus injuries to two of their bigs will really hurt them in league play.

I love watching EJ play. He has alot of Herman Pratt / Nate Gartrell in him.

I sat on the Mitty side. I get it. The refs gave you no calls. Nothing like sitting next to entitled fans.

Honestly, as I am aware of the foul discrepancy between the two teams. I was surprised by the fouls Mitty committed. Hey, where I come from, a dang FOUL is a FOUL period, it doesn't matter what team you're rooting for. Mitty did not play the usual non-foul defense that I'm really use to seeing them play. Just an honest observation.

Looking at Mr. Al Grigsby takes me way back to the 90's when he played along side Jason Kidd at Cal. If his Son, Riley, was as tall and had that drive like his dad had, SHC may not have had a chance last night and I mean that.

Honestly, as I am aware of the foul discrepancy between the two teams. I was surprised by the fouls Mitty committed. Hey, where I come from, a dang FOUL is a FOUL period, it doesn't matter what team you're rooting for. Mitty did not play the usual non-foul defense that I'm really use to seeing them play. Just an honest observation.

Looking at Mr. Al Grigsby takes me way back to the 90's when he played along side Jason Kidd at Cal. If his Son, Riley, was as tall and had that drive like his dad had, SHC may not have had a chance last night and I mean that.

m4, I dont think thats exactly fair your take on Riley. Al, listed at 6'9 was more 6'7 and was as immovable as a huge boulder. Riley is 6'5-6'6 and lanky has more offensive skills than his dad. They are different players. As poorly as AM played, it was Grigsby and Vaughn that kept them in the game and only lost by 4. AM did not do much damage on the perimeter. Most of their baskets were by Grigsby and Vaughn on drives or posts. I actually have Grigsby as POY in league. Im sure Wojcik, Johnson, Stubblefield, Trammell, will have their hats in that ring as well.

m4, I dont think thats exactly fair your take on Riley. Al, listed at 6'9 was more 6'7 and was as immovable as a huge boulder. Riley is 6'5-6'6 and lanky has more offensive skills than his dad. They are different players. As poorly as AM played, it was Grigsby and Vaughn that kept them in the game and only lost by 4. AM did not do much damage on the perimeter. Most of their baskets were by Grigsby and Vaughn on drives or posts. I actually have Grigsby as POY in league. Im sure Wojcik, Johnson, Stubblefield, Trammell, will have their hats in that ring as well.
iagb,

You are totally right. I was not fair in assessing and comparing Al and his Son. Let me be clear that my comments really was meant to pay homage to Al and not to minimize the outstanding abilities of young Riley, as he is a great player in his own right. Me, being a Bay Area Product from the 80’s and 90’s, when I see a Father/Son display I tend to draw unfair comparisons.

Vaughn had some horrific misses as well and Grigsby picked up three of the most ticky tack offensive fouls that I have ever seen...... I am sure that Mitty had an off night shooting wise but the majority of their 3's weren't very close. Sapp looked especially rusty and Mitchell didn't really give them anything last night either.

Bellarmine 72-66 in OT. The shine is off the Cats. Now you got to figure the clock is ticking on them. As for clocks, Riordan's clock struck 12 tonight, but St. Francis is always a tough place to get a W. WCAL defenders have a way of making shooters look bad.

As uncreative SHC is on offense, the Monarchs are too. Watched the Irish game on cube. I can only imagine the SHC coach's strategy while scribbling on his board.."ok kids, get the ball to Monroe, go one on one if shot not there kick to O'Neil, OK? Break!" At least Monroe is aggressive to paint. It took
I guess that I was surprised that all of VC's hyped height didn't bother Serra more than it did. I guess having Coach Rapp back does make a HUGE difference. Serra's bigs play bigger than they are.... As far as Riordan their shooting is inconsistent - they'll live and die last night with their 3 point shooting unless Jelani is repeatedly slashing into the lane. Plus injuries to two of their bigs will really hurt them in league play.

Did Riordan 5th year senior transfer play? how did he look?

Mitty 3 qtrs to have secondary defender take offensive charge against Monroe. Can I get a back-door cut, please? They do run. Can you imagine a Mission Zelaya coaching this group? Again,absolutely no one in middle for Irish. The young 6'8" transfer looks promising, but tentative right now. He should be O.K (given being a sophomore).
Vaughn had some horrific misses as well and Grigsby picked up three of the most ticky tack offensive fouls that I have ever seen...... I am sure that Mitty had an off night shooting wise but the majority of their 3's weren't very close. Sapp looked especially rusty and Mitchell didn't really give them anything last night either.

I am sure the SHC Vs. Mitty part 2 later this month will be a great game in San Jose.

How did the 5th year senior transfer from Riordan do Mikey?

iagb,

You are totally right. I was not fair in assessing and comparing Al and his Son. Let me be clear that my comments really was meant to pay homage to Al and not to minimize the outstanding abilities of young Riley, as he is a great player in his own right. Me, being a Bay Area Product from the 80’s and 90’s, when I see a Father/Son display I tend to draw unfair comparisons.

I am from your same era and was an excited Cal fan when Kidd picked the Golden Bears. Al Grigsby with my young mind was supposed to be Larry Johnson. Same body/physique/intimidation.

As far as Riordan their shooting is inconsistent - they'll live and die last night with their 3 point shooting unless Jelani is repeatedly slashing into the lane. Plus injuries to two of their bigs will really hurt them in league play.
SF played a very stout zone defense for most of the game negating Jelani's slashes to the hoop. It was when SF went to man D, that Jelani went to work and scored most of his points and the Crusaders cut the lead to single digits. Chun was ice cold and the entire team was tentative in their play. Coach Curtin and his staff need to work the team too properly execute against the zone as this will be the blueprint for all the teams on how to defend Riordan - daring them to beat them from the outside.
I did notice the soph big man, Lil Ugbaja and the now eligible transfer MIA last night. Any word on these players?
It's kind of like the Irish's key senior players this season and last - oh wait!!!! ;)

. I actually have Grigsby as POY in league. Im sure Wojcik, Johnson, Stubblefield, Trammell, will have their hats in that ring as well.
Logan Johnson is my POY favorite this year. He's got all the tools and makes his team better IMO.

Great win for the Irish. This was there first league game. Lots of gitters, as there was an unusual crowd on Ellis Street last night that also included College and Upper Level AAU Scouts. So much upside with this team. The 6'8 Kid did something last night that SHC will need down the stretch. Oscar altered shots, even in the limited minutes he received. Project is a true statement. He altered Mitty's shots. He didn't get the rebound, but his presence in the middle was enough and those SHC Vets will take that as they didn't even have that and we're still competitive in the pre-season. I say absolutely no to Oscar playing JV's as he will get increased minutes as he 'gets it' this season. Mind you this was the young man's first game as an Irish. Job well done as far as I'm concerned. Bellarmine at Bells Friday and the Bruce Mahoney Game at USF on the 9th. I can't wait as SHC won the Football Game so a SHC win on Tuesday will bring the trophy back to Ellis St. Not sure when was the last time SHC had the trophy.

If anything move the freshman kid haynes to jv's

I am from your same era and was an excited Cal fan when Kidd picked the Golden Bears. Al Grigsby with my young mind was supposed to be Larry Johnson. Same body/physique/intimidation.
I remember when Al got injured and was lost for a season, of course well after Kidd left and he was granted another year. No telling what Al's future could have been if he hadn't sustained that injury.

Those Maxpreps rankings are completely wack! Mitty is a good team that has played a high level of competition and will benefit from it once the WCAL season starts.

I still stand by my assertion that SHC's schedule is soft - Fairview is a very average team from CO, St Joes especially w/o Ba is a shadow of their recent teams. I do give them major props for a solid win vs James Logan though. The other teams on their preseason schedule are complete garbage.

I guess we'll find out on Jan 2nd when SHC hosts Mitty.....

The WCAL bottom feeders can't schedule too hard in the preseason though in case they go 0-14 in league play as they need a minimum number of wins to be eligible for post season play.

Logic on this board is Wack!
Mitty will man handle Riordan.

Logic on this board is Wack!
Mitty will man handle Riordan.
How does your logic come up with Mitty manhandling Riordan?
Sounds like Mitty is going to play a paint touch game against Riordan. And Riordan will be looking for slashing and 3pt shooting. If Riordan hits shots, they will be in the game and possibly win. If not Mitty by single digits.

SI plays Mitty at Mitty tonight.
SHC plays Bellarmine at Bellarmine tonight.
Should be two nice games.

SI and SHC are gearing up for the annual Bruce Mahoney Game on Tuesday the 9th at 7:30pm at the University of San Francisco.

VC-Riordan live stream from the Crusader Forum!

Watch the live stream of tonight's varsity basketball game vs. @VCHSAthletics here - baosn.tv
Tip-off set for 7:30pm.

VC-Riordan live stream from the Crusader Forum!

Watch the live stream of tonight's varsity basketball game vs. @VCHSAthletics here - baosn.tv
Tip-off set for 7:30pm.

Thanks jordan for posting, I usually check NFHSnetwork [have subscription], but forgot about BAOSN who BTW has the best streaming picture out there currently. Very curious to see VC with the tallest line-up in WCAL.

Reactions: jordan24
Watida is injured - not sure when he's due back. Last time that I saw him before Christmas he was on crutches....
He's off the boot, not sure his eta for return. Soph Gage Cross was in a car accident over the Holidays and hurt his hand. Not sure how severe. Chimae has been with his family the past few weeks.

St. Francis is looking really good now that their football players are back Mo Wilmer looks to be an impact player for the Lancers.

St. Francis is looking really good now that their football players are back Mo Wilmer looks to be an impact player for the Lancers.

Roy Yuan is the Best Shooter in the WCAL!?

Please supply some facts to back up your statement that Roy Yuan is the best shooter in the WCAL?

Do teams game plan a defensive strategy against him?

Did he make all his 3 point attempts on Friday?

How many 3pt shots has he made on the season?

How many 3pt shots has he attempted on the season?

Does he have any school records for 3pt shots made?

Last edited:
2011-12 is when SHC had the trophy last. Irish won in football 38-14 and basketball 45-37.

MaxPreps CCS Top Ranked Teams and Where WCAL Teams Rank:

1 - Menlo 9-1
2 - Bells 10-2
3 - SF 10-2

4- Paly 9-2
5 - Riordan 9-2
6 - Serra 9-3

7 - Piedmont Hills 11-1
8 - Sequoia 8-4
9 - HMB 8-3
10 - Los Gatos 11-3
11 - Alisal 13-1
12 - Valley Christian 9-2
13 - St. Ignatius 7-4

14 - Santa Cruz 9-3
15 - M-A 6-4
16 - SHC 10-2
17 - Los Altos 9-5
18 - Mills 9-3
19 - Monterey 8-5
20 - San Mateo 7-4

52 - Mitty 2-9

Adjustments or any shuffling needed here ?

Please supply some facts to back up your statement that Roy Yuan is the best shooter in the WCAL?

Do teams game plan a defensive strategy against him?

Did he make all his 3 point attempts on Friday?

How many 3pt shots has he made on the season?

How many 3pt shots has he attempted on the season?

Does he have any school records for 3pt shots made?

Im curious, do you keep stats for the soccer team or do you save yourself the effort of paying attention and just put a "0"?

Its obvious SimplyBBall is making a subjective comment or did really you took him seriously?

Reactions: SimplyBBall
The statement by SimplyBBall I took as more of as a question as the sentence ended in "!?", so the poster was saying perhaps Roy Yuan is the best shooter [or maybe?].
Just depends how you read some of these posts.

I guess the bigger question is if Yuan isn't the best then who is?

Reactions: SimplyBBall
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT