ADVERTISEMENT

2019-20 WCAL Hoops Wrap Up/2020-21 Outlook

Archdiocese of San Francisco schools closing after student diagnosed with coronavirus

ktvu.com/news/archdiocese-of-san-francisco-schools-closing-after-student-diagnosed-with-coronavirus

Same for me with the Dog-ears. This lifetime Giants fan would root for the Dog-ears ONLY if a win by them would help the Giants in the standings by beating a division opponent, getting us closer to the front of the standings or further in the lead. And I'd hope very, very quietly.

Otherwise, if Hitler came to life and started up a team and they were playing the Dog-ears, I'd be all for the Hitlers.

But this is pro sports. High school is different for me. Back when O'Dowd was in the top-division final, I rooted for them against SoCal even though the Dragons were rivals of my own favorites.
I'm a Giants fan in baseball, so I'm feeling your sentiments 1000%. As for O'Dowd, I'm also an old C.A.L. alum from a rival school but my dislike for them is in good fun, but serious. Still don't like them to this very day

Not to mention they will get some Mercy Girls....their team was competitive this year. Don't you ever count out the Riordan Crusaderettes!
If anything, players will choose SHC. Riordan doesn't have much of a history with girls hoops. Can't wait to see the Irish clobber the New Skippers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott2138
Just watched the DeLaSalle-Campolindo game. I'm not going to lie, I've been pretty critical of Riordan...
The way Riordan had finally put things together, they would have handled the Spartans last Saturday, setting up an epic rematch with Campo.
Pretty tough pill to swallow for Riordan, but they have a solid core coming back. Congratulations Campo!

Reactions: kiddman32
Just watched the DeLaSalle-Campolindo game. I'm not going to lie, I've been pretty critical of Riordan...
The way Riordan had finally put things together, they would have handled the Spartans last Saturday, setting up an epic rematch with Campo.
Pretty tough pill to swallow for Riordan, but they have a solid core coming back. Congratulations Campo!

Solid Core coming back? Not to be negative but they are losing Jelani and Bryce...Riny..Dom..Nagot....Riordan has a long rebuild ahead of them, and that is if Mor stays and doesn't get scooped up this summer on the AAU circuit by a prep school.

This was Riordan's best shot....and with the way schools like Mitty and Bellarmine are re-stocking or keeping their talent....it's going to be really hard for Riordan to duplicate the season they had this year.

Solid Core coming back? Not to be negative but they are losing Jelani and Bryce...Riny..Dom..Nagot....Riordan has a long rebuild ahead of them, and that is if Mor stays and doesn't get scooped up this summer on the AAU circuit by a prep school.

This was Riordan's best shot....and with the way schools like Mitty and Bellarmine are re-stocking or keeping their talent....it's going to be really hard for Riordan to duplicate the season they had this year.
I do not disagree that this was Riordan's best shot in years for a State Title. The Crusaders were talented and deep! JeLani and Bryce come along once in a generation and will be hard to replace. I don't go off of hearsay and rumors, but looking at how this roster currently stands, Riordan returns 3 players who started most if not all its games - 7-1 Seck, 6-7 Vaihola and 6-1 Hubbard. Quanico came off the bench. 3 juniors, 2 sophs and one frosh returns (Barer, Avalos and Arenas) who were listed on the post season varsity roster. If I am not mistaken, it was posted that Riordan's A's went undefeated for the entire year. The Frosh B's took the WCAL title, too. The JV record was not too good, but chalk that up to having a 7 ft soph on the varsity. Other Riordan supporters have also said the future is bright. Other than Mitty and St. Francis, who has more than 3 varsity players returning that made an impact? Mitty, Riordan, St. Francis, Bellarmine will once again be in the mix next year. SI and possibly VC could also be making a run...

Reactions: superle
Before I close out this thread for the season, I thought I would post final standings/records and a snapshot of returning players and league projection for the 2020-21 year. I welcome everyone's "passionate" input. Lol! I am assuming rosters stay as is - meaning no transfers. I'll chime in after the Summer as well as Fall. It's been a great year for the WCAL and hope Coach Monroe keeps us posted on Bryce's college career. All the best to the Seniors as they continue their journey! Be well everyone!

Final WCAL Standings/Records
1. Bellarmine 11-3; 23-5
WCAL Tri-Champ; CCS Open Runner-up; NorCal Open Quarter-finalist​
1. Archbishop Mitty 11-3; 23-5
WCAL Tri-Champ; CCS Open Champ; NorCal Open Semi-finalist​
1. Archbishop Riordan 11-3; 23-5
WCAL Tri-Champ; CCS Open Qtr-final; NorCal D1 Semi (Withdrew)​
4. Junipero Serra 9-5; 18-9
CCS Open Qtr-final; NorCal DI First Rd​
5. Saint Francis 6-8; 15-12
CCS Open Semi-finalist; NorCal D2 First Rd​
6. Sacred Heart Cathedral 4-10; 12-17
CCS DIII Runner-up; NorCal DIII Qtr-finalist​
7. Saint Ignatius 3-11; 12-17
CCS DIII Champs; NorCal DIII Qtr-finalist​
8. Valley Christian 1-13; 9-16
CCS DII Quarter-finalist​

2020 Lower Level WCAL Champions
(League; Overall Records)

• Junior Varsity - Bellarmine Bells (14-0; 22-1)
  • Frosh A's - Archbishop Riordan Crusaders (14-0; 21-0 !)
  • Frosh B's - Archbishop Riordan Crusaders (12-2; 19-2)
2020-2021 At a Glance/Projections
  • Mitty - 7 Returning - starters 6-9 Bhandal, 6-6 Burris, 6-2 Mitchell
  • Riordan - 7 returning - starters 7-1 Seck; 6-7 Vaihola, 6-1 Hubbard
  • Bellarmine - 10 returning - starters 6-9 Kiachian; 6-4 Wolf-Bloom
  • St. Francis - 9 returning - starters 6-1 Banks; 6-2 Kerr
  • St. Ignatius - 8 returning - starters 6-1 Wilhite; 6-6 Jew
  • Serra - 8 returning - starters - 5-8 Koustosgeorgas
  • SHC - 8 returning - starters 6-1 Spears; 6-2 Crawford, 5-9 McPherson
  • Valley Christian - 12 returning - starters 5-10 Paran, 6-2 Dickey; 6-9 Cheng

Last edited:
Reactions: superle
Before I close out this thread for the season, I thought I would post final standings/records and a snapshot of returning players and league projection for the 2020-21 year. I welcome everyone's "passionate" input. Lol! I am assuming rosters stay as is - meaning no transfers. I'll chime in after the Summer as well as Fall. It's been a great year for the WCAL and hope Coach Monroe keeps us posted on Bryce's college career. All the best to the Seniors as they continue their journey! Be well everyone!

1. Bellarmine 11-3; 23-5

What exactly is “CCS Open Qtr-final”? Is that a euphemism for having lost in the first round? Could just say Open participant.

I do not disagree that this was Riordan's best shot in years for a State Title. The Crusaders were talented and deep! JeLani and Bryce come along once in a generation and will be hard to replace. I don't go off of hearsay and rumors, but looking at how this roster currently stands, Riordan returns 3 players who started most if not all its games - 7-1 Seck, 6-7 Vaihola and 6-1 Hubbard. Quanico came off the bench. 3 juniors, 2 sophs and one frosh returns (Barer, Avalos and Arenas) who were listed on the post season varsity roster. If I am not mistaken, it was posted that Riordan's A's went undefeated for the entire year. The Frosh B's took the WCAL title, too. The JV record was not too good, but chalk that up to having a 7 ft soph on the varsity. Other Riordan supporters have also said the future is bright. Other than Mitty and St. Francis, who has more than 3 varsity players returning that made an impact? Mitty, Riordan, St. Francis, Bellarmine will once again be in the mix next year. SI and possibly VC could also be making a run...

1. Bellarmine 11-3; 23-5

Don't forget Valley has a 6" 11" kid who sat out last year and has offers from a lot of big schools

Nice thread throughout the WCAL basketball season Jordan24!

Great job & thanks for your effort, time and insight along the way - I hope the other posters appreciate as well.

Best Wishes Friend - Rmbr26

jordan24Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Thanks Rmbr! I certainly appreciate the detail and effort you provide on the football forum and try to provide insight (albeit from a WCAL/Riordan slant). This season has certainly been exciting and unprecedented given the current situation we are in today. Be well and look forward to your Football thread this Fall!

Thanks Rmbr! I certainly appreciate the detail and effort you provide on the football forum and try to provide insight (albeit from a WCAL/Riordan slant). This season has certainly been exciting and unprecedented given the current situation we are in today. Be well and look forward to your Football thread this Fall!

Definitely both of you would be nominees for Norcal preps POY's (posters of the year).Now go and cash in your 113 trophy points........o_O
Thanks Primos

Reactions: Rmbr26 and jordan24
I can honestly say, I was reluctant to watch this Riordan mix-tape (ie old). However, I cannot think of a better mix of youth and tradition. The fact that this is also the LAST year of Riordan as an all-boy school highlights an end of era (with wishes for a promising new era). An unbelievable keepsake for a memorable season.

To be fair, there are some programs like girls basketball at SHC that are having a down year but their are definitely programs like baseball and soccer that are booming.
True. I saw the WCAL soccer championship game against Bellarmine. That was probably the best they've ever played. (Plus, another great win Cal-Hi Sports couldn't be bothered with).

Last edited:

...assuming we have football in the fall...

...assuming we have football in the fall...

I sure hope so...I really do think we will. Just for the state govt to take all our civil liberties away by that long just can't happen. I read the book "Animal Farm" in high school just like many of you probably did I see parallels to this. No one should let the govt take all your freedoms away for that long without a cost analysis and what it is doing to our economy, There simply has to be a better comparison with other countries and better grasp of the virus by then than just blindly shutting everything down indefinitely and staying indoors, the world won't stop and can't forever.

I sure hope so...I really do think we will. Just for the state govt to take all our civil liberties away by that long just can't happen. I read the book "Animal Farm" in high school just like many of you probably did I see parallels to this. No one should let the govt take all your freedoms away for that long without a cost analysis and what it is doing to our economy, There simply has to be a better comparison with other countries and better grasp of the virus by then than just blindly shutting everything down indefinitely and staying indoors, the world won't stop and can't forever.
You are kidding, right?!? People are dying around the world and there is no cure! We are not under martial law. If you want to go out, you won’t get arrested. There are not enough hospital beds, personnel and equipment, if we do not stay home while you exercise your civil liberties. Open your eyes!

Reactions: ankleassassin
You are kidding, right?!? People are dying around the world and there is no cure! We are not under martial law. If you want to go out, you won’t get arrested. There are not enough hospital beds, personnel and equipment, if we do not stay home while you exercise your civil liberties. Open your eyes!

Im not talking about now sir, I agree with what is happening currently...Im talking about the future, hopefully it will be sorted out with better comparisons and more history to make decisions, such as how South Korea handled it....Its the uncertainty that makes people worry but Im pretty sure no one agrees that restaurants and bakeries should be closed for 3 months if it turns out the common flu or TB has more deaths than Covid 19...All I am saying, is time will tell us soon enough. I worked under this Governor before and I wish I could say better things than just to have "blind loyalty" and not question any leader on what they say. Our town mayor said Cannibus clubs can stay open but bakeries can't?? Does that make sense??

Last edited:
I’ve been separated from my wife for the past 10 days. She’s an attending MD at UCSF and she does not want to expose herself to our kids and me. She tells me the next 14-30 days will be critical. The decision to impose stay at home was a threat model that was gathered by infectious disease experts. This was not a political decision, but how this state can properly treat its people.

I’ve been separated from my wife for the past 10 days. She’s an attending MD at UCSF and she does not want to expose herself to our kids and me. She tells me the next 14-30 days will be critical. The decision to impose stay at home was a threat model that was gathered by infectious disease experts. This was not a political decision, but how this state can properly treat its people.

Yes I understand all of that and I agree its critical for now and a day by day event. All Im saying are questions need to be asked and weighed out. If the scenario last as long as no football then hundreds of thousands would be dead, that didn't even happen in China or Asia. (sure hope not here, that is why the flattening of the curve is important) The entire shut down of everything needs to be continually asked for the vitality of our way of life toward this invisible enemy, our state economy and nation depends on it too, thats all I am trying to say.

Last edited:
I didn't comment last night on this board but I jabbed a little bit on twitter. I woke up this morning still upset and disappointed with Mitty. Very happy for the coaching staff of Riordan and it's players for silencing the critics for atleast a few days.
It's a two hour drive from the city up to Mitty in the traffic and weather conditions at the minimum you can be hospitable. I was one of those parents that had a lengthy conversation with Mitty staff about seating and treatment. I attended the Freshman game, JV game and sat in the first seat in the gym and continued to sit in that seat for the Varsity game before being approached. Very disappointing interaction. I was then approached by the school police and then Riordan staff( no names) approached me saying " I am trying to help you, I don't want you to get kicked out" my question is , Kicked out for what? Wearing a Riordan hoodie and supporting the kids? I sat in the same seats for two previous games. So Bryce has trained with Mike Willians for a while with Will Power, they also have played Pop Warner against one another for years. So what your saying if Mike Senior and I want to talk and hang out we can't do it at your facility during a game?
Secondly very disappointed that Bryce came over during halftime of the JV game stating Mitty trainer wouldn't tape him up for the game, really?
Third , Mitty Varsity players shot around at halftime of the JV game while the teams were in the Locker room but you kicked our Varsity team off the floor?
Fourth, if you want to Segregate the bleachers then you better have handicap accessibility to your bleachers of Mt.Davis that you provide.

Great win for Riordan and they were missing Rob and didn't play their best. Mark of a good team is when you don't play well and find a way for you to pull it out. Got a few text messages about Lani dancing at the end of the game, he knows better but at times his impulsivenes kicks in. I will definitely talk with him, he has won big games before and should act accordingly. They really wanted to end that streak for many reasons no excuses but in my mind I was dancing as well.

Suddenly, the actions of the Mitty staff to you all makes sense...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT