ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Open Division seeding????

A couple notes:

Carondelet beat Miramonte, so if both are section winners, Carondelet should get the nod.

Miramonte beat Folsom, so if both are section winners, Miramonte should be seeded higher.

Folsom beat Carondelet, however, so if all three are section winners I don't know what you do.
And Carondelet beat Pinewood so that should trump that as well.

Not true, I believe CCS did away with that bylaw this past year or at least according to their published bylaws on their website. Now all 6 WCAL teams can be put in open regardless of enrollment division.

CCS is allowing more teams to go Norcals now. They used to only allow 4 max per division go, so if (Mitty, SF, VC) all were in open, only 1 more D2 team could go Norcal. Not so any more, both champion and runner up in D2 would now go to norcal from CCS. Other sections were sending semi-final losers and CCS finally got with the program and are rewarding at least champions and runner ups with norcal bids.
thats good to know! good info. A year too late for aragon unfortunately..

I would consider Antelope the underdogs, if we are lucky enough to make it to the D2 finals against Sac High. Both teams will have to win against tough competitions just to make it to the finals.

Sac High plays all 7 of their seniors on the team. Avent and Walters are both D1 college players and Brown is committed to a D2 college program. All Sac High players are battle tested and are very well coached.

Antelope has one senior, Arianna Spann who plays significant minutes and been out half the season due to a stress fracture. Ari is still not in game shape.
That is what I was trying to say but you said it much better.

I would consider Antelope the underdogs, if we are lucky enough to make it to the D2 finals against Sac High. Both teams will have to win against tough competitions just to make it to the finals.

Sac High plays all 7 of their seniors on the team. Avent and Walters are both D1 college players and Brown is committed to a D2 college program. All Sac High players are battle tested and are very well coached.

Antelope has one senior, Arianna Spann who plays significant minutes and been out half the season due to a stress fracture. Ari is still not in game shape.
That would be an amazing Section finals this year if Sac and Antelope are able to make it to Championship of D2 SJS! Antelope should be the 1 seed and Sac High should be the 2 seed so I don't think you can call yourself an underdog coach. But if Sac High were to beat Antelope, I will agree that it would not be an upset. These 2 teams are very evenly matched and could definitely go either way. Both teams will need to be ready to play, will need to be able to handle the pressure; there are lots of 3 point shooters on both teams, so might come down to who has better shot selection and in turn has a higher percentage from 3. I would give Spann the edge inside, but if Avent and Walters are on, watch out because they can beat anyone (ask Etiwanda). Battle tested is an understatement!! Their schedule is for real this year-losses to Mitty, Carondelet, Pinewood, Centennial and 3 in Nike TOC.

Reactions: jstblev
A couple notes:

Carondelet beat Miramonte, so if both are section winners, Carondelet should get the nod.

Miramonte beat Folsom, so if both are section winners, Miramonte should be seeded higher.

Folsom beat Carondelet, however, so if all three are section winners I don't know what you do.
I agree Clay, the seedings this year could be difficult because many of them have all played each other with different results. The reason I put Folsom ahead of MM in my prediction is because when they played, Folsom was missing Gallegos. And put MM ahead of Carondelet, because their loss to them was early in season. But heck, there is still couple weeks left for changes to this!! And playoffs could tell a lot as well. Big games coming up between Bear Creek and Folsom and Antelope and Heritage this weekend! Should be fun.

Reactions: northbaybbguru
Have you seen any of the ebal teams play this year

I wouldn’t say SRV (or Cal or Dublin) is supposed to be as good as Heritage (not sure why or who said that?), but they are a decent young team and very capable of knocking off Heritage if the shots are falling and the Pats don’t bring their A game. Coach Rob knows this and won’t be complacent if and when they match up.

Just a note on Folsom playing without Charity Gallegos, their excellent point guard, against Miramonte: That was Miramonte's first game without its starting point guard, Amerika de los Santos, who is out for the year with an ACL.

It's fair to say that Gallegos is more important to Folsom than de los Santos was to Miramonte, but Amerika was the starting point guard from day one this year, and her loss is significant.

Which leads to another question: How much should the committee consider injuries/transfers/missing players/sick players, etc.?

When I do rankings, I don't consider them because I don't know enough -- that is, because I know about Miramonte/Folsom, I can make adjustments, but was Whitney, for example, completely healthy when it lost to Montgomery? And did any girls have the flu when Cardinal Newman lost to Dublin? I don't know, and couldn't possibly know every such factor in every game that might reflect on seeding.

Reactions: basketba11
Just a note on Folsom playing without Charity Gallegos, their excellent point guard, against Miramonte: That was Miramonte's first game without its starting point guard, Amerika de los Santos, who is out for the year with an ACL.

It's fair to say that Gallegos is more important to Folsom than de los Santos was to Miramonte, but Amerika was the starting point guard from day one this year, and her loss is significant.

Which leads to another question: How much should the committee consider injuries/transfers/missing players/sick players, etc.?

When I do rankings, I don't consider them because I don't know enough -- that is, because I know about Miramonte/Folsom, I can make adjustments, but was Whitney, for example, completely healthy when it lost to Montgomery? And did any girls have the flu when Cardinal Newman lost to Dublin? I don't know, and couldn't possibly know every such factor in every game that might reflect on seeding.
Good point about de los Santos! Your question "How much should the committee consider injuries/transfers/missing players/sick players, etc.?"
is a great question Clay. In regards to seedings for the playoffs, I'm sure your examples are hard to consider for the Committees of each Section. We don't know how well the Committees knows each team, and I'm pretty positive not even close to the level that many of us on this Blog know the teams. But as I have stated before, thanks to all these showcase events every weekend, all the top teams are playing each other and have a bunch of common opponents as well. When it comes to the case where Folsom beat Carondelet, Carondelet beat MM, and MM beat Folsom, there has to be some other considerations if the Committee trying to seed these 3 teams in Open (if they all make it to Open obviously). So IMO, I definitely think the Committee should be able to use things such as injuries, transfers, etc. I would think the more information, the better! We all want what is right and fair for these teams. But we have come to expect that the Committee doesnt always get it right unfortunately.

Reactions: TigerStancil
When it comes to the case where Folsom beat Carondelet, Carondelet beat MM, and MM beat Folsom, there has to be some other considerations if the Committee trying to seed these 3 teams in Open (if they all make it to Open obviously)

And Carondelet beat Pinewood so that should trump that as well.

basketba11... straightline already answered that question.

keep trying to stay out of the open Clay... keep trying...

Two things:

1) If Miramonte wins NCS D-2, Miramonte is Open. We've already told the girls that we are aiming for as high a seed in the Open as possible, assuming we can get past Bishop O'Dowd (which we haven't done recently) and everyone else in NCS D-2.

2) The CIF committee could care less what's said on this board.

I would think if Clay was trying to stay out of the open they would just stop winning games.
haha I was being facetious. I wanted to beat the guru to the punch. I'm not a tanking conspiracy theorist like him and jazz.. just busting some basketballs

If MM wins D2 I think they have a legit claim for the 2 or 3 seed in the OPEN...

If MM only loss the rest of the season is in the finals of D2 I think they STILL have a claim for a 7 or 8 seed....

Their SOS and rankings (in every ranking service) is just too high. They have beaten too many quality teams (injuries, sickness or not).

If they win out....they should make the case for the 2 seed and make their run this year and if they get beat it should prep them for NEXT season where I think they have a chance for the #1 seed overall.

As I have stated a few times on NCP...they are too good not to be in.

If MM wins D2 I think they have a legit claim for the 2 or 3 seed in the OPEN...

2 or 3 seed in the Open?

How do they get past Pinewood and Carondelet (who they lost to)?

They could make the claim if they are that bold, but how legit it would be is another story.

Oops, forgot about Carondelet beating Pinewood. Their loss to Folsom messes up all the seedings, LOL! How about this then, might work?

1. CCS: Mitty
2. NCS: D1 winner Carondelet
3. CCS: Pinewood
4. NCS: D2 winner MM
5. SJS: D2 winner (Antelope/Sac High)
6. SJS: D1 winner (Folsom/St Marys/McClatchy/Bear Creek)
7. NCS: D3 winner (Salesian/CN/SJND)
8. NCS: D1 runner up Heritage

matchups
CLET/Salesian rubber match
possible MM/Antelope rematch from last year
possible Pinewood/SMS rematch from last year
Mitty/Heritage (sorry Heritage)

MM 3-point production thrived and grew in the last 6 years thanks to Ionescu and Steele. they both had an excellent skill set on dribble penetration (kick out, dish underneath, draw contact and/or score). no coincidence that the pair are #1 and #2 on MM all time list for free throws made. de los Santos had donned that mantle and was growing into it. many of her skills have been filled by committee, but dribble penetration, a valuable compliment to the 3, remains a struggle. until an individual or group steps up, de los Santos' absence will be a serious loss.

if MM wins out, they're Open for sure. if they lose to BOD, what happens in other Sections, NCS and SJS, will help determine their fate. BOD has a freebie here--even if they win, they won't go Open and will gain seeding stature in DI.

if MM wins out, they're Open for sure. if they lose to BOD, what happens in other Sections, NCS and SJS, will help determine their fate. BOD has a freebie here--even if they win, they won't go Open and will gain seeding stature in DI.

I agree BOD may not have the record needed for the Open. If BOD wins out and takes D2, that would leave a lot of things in limbo.
Would they get in over a runner up in D1 or D3? CN beat BOD head to head earlier. Would MM get in if BOD wins D2 and doesn't get in?
BOD plays SMS again next week, and another loss would dampen their record further while a win would bolster their Open chances should they take D2.

Oops, forgot about Carondelet beating Pinewood. Their loss to Folsom messes up all the seedings, LOL! How about this then, might work?

matchups

I might switch 6 and 7... but definitely solid.

matchups

Remember that the committee will not match teams from the same section in the first round ...

And remember that the NCS contingent managed to get four teams in the Open last year -- and got them seeded 5, 6, 7, and 8. And in D-1, the seeds were 3 (SJND) and 4 (Miramonte).

Negotiating skills matter in situations like this ...

Remember that the committee will not match teams from the same section in the first round ...

And remember that the NCS contingent managed to get four teams in the Open last year -- and got them seeded 5, 6, 7, and 8. And in D-1, the seeds were 3 (SJND) and 4 (Miramonte).

Negotiating skills matter in situations like this ...
So I guess as northbay suggested, switch 6 and 7.
6. NCS: D3 winner (Salesian/CN/SJND)
7. SJS: D1 winner (Folsom/St Marys/McClatchy/Bear Creek)

Reactions: northbaybbguru
So I guess as northbay suggested, switch 6 and 7.
6. NCS: D3 winner (Salesian/CN/SJND)
7. SJS: D1 winner (Folsom/St Marys/McClatchy/Bear Creek)

we will see how the sections play out....but this OPEN 8 could very well be the exact way it pans out...and throw in the sections not playing each other in 1st round and its perfect. The #8 spot will most likely be an NCS runner-up so it doesn't necessarily have to be Heritage. But at this point the D1 runner-up is probably the most likely.

Of course there's one more possibility: Throwing Clovis West into the North ...

That would make it easy because then you'd have the two CCS schools and section champs for the other six spots.

But my guess is that things won't play out as expected, and at least one team we're penciling in as a section winner won't be ... and then it gets even more complicated.

The other issues is that the committee, given its time constraints, is very likely to just use the ordered lists supplied by the sections to determine placement. So if NCS, say, lists its section winners one through three, regardless of upsets, and then its section runnerups by division as well (D-1 would be fourth, presumably, ahead of the D-4 champ, but you never know, and then the D-2 runner up, etc.), that's how the committee will likely seed. So if Salesian were to lose to St. Joseph Notre Dame, say, it's possible the NCS list would look like:

D-1 winner: Carondelet
D-2 winner: Miramonte (I'm hoping here)
D-3 winner: SJND
D-1 runner up: Heritage
D-2 runner up: Bishop O'Dowd
D-3 runner up: Salesian

Or the D-4 champ, St. Patrick St. Vincent, say, could get in there somewhere.

If the commissioner of any section believes strongly that his or her section championships should be the sole determinant of NorCal seeding, then that's how the list will look. And it's unlikely that the committee will take the time to overrule that section by digging deeply into the various wins and losses.

This is very good and I can tell you follow closely. I don't think Sac High beating Antelope would be an upset. Don't they have 2 Division 1 players? Having a D1 player on your team or 2 is an absolute game changer. Mitty, Pinewood, Salesian, C let all have multiple Division 1 players and at the end of the day that seperates them from the remainder of norcal. It's so hard to beat teams like that unless you are one of them.

McClathcy has 2 D1(a 3rd who is out after knee surgery) players and Kamryn Hall who is headed to play at West Point. Add them to that list amigo.

My money is on Antelope. Y'all got them shooters.

McClathcy has 2 D1(a 3rd who is out after knee surgery) players and Kamryn Hall who is headed to play at West Point. Add them to that list amigo.
Absolutely. Forgot about McClatchy. That's a talented team right there.

John Swett is not bad, as it lost its first three games and has been solid since. But still ...

I just wanna know what’s the hype about antelope? Who have they played? Let’s be serious. Yes they have some ballers. That’s Facts. No one on here speaks about Sac high an they done played the best of the best.

Reactions: TigerStancil
I just wanna know what’s the hype about antelope? Who have they played? Let’s be serious. Yes they have some ballers. That’s Facts. No one on here speaks about Sac high an they done played the best of the best.

I think its been pretty much agreed on that the SJS D2 championship will come down to Sac vs Antelope with the winner going OPEN. (that's assuming Bear Creek is in D1)

Both teams have gotten plenty of love.

---------------------------------------------------------
BOD plays SMS again next week, and another loss would dampen their record further while a win would bolster their Open chances should they take D2.
That game at SMS on Feb 2, while still listed on the Max Preps site is no longer listed on their schedule on the SM athletic site. It was listed on it before but now has been removed.

I remember BO canceling a game late in the season a few years ago as well. So the game might not be happening.

I think Sac High gets its do love on these boards especially after upsetting Etiwanda. Antelope gets love because they have talented players. There's a reason Stanford coaches attend their games. They are nasty and they got SHOOTERS.

Reactions: MrAvent0042
Hopefully Sac and Antelope can figure out who is better this year in Section championship! Sac High losing five 4-year varsity girls this year, so this is their best chance at a big run! Avent and Walters are difference makers. If they are hitting their outside shots, they can beat anyone. Shot selection though is key for this group.

Reactions: MrAvent0042
Hopefully Sac and Antelope can figure out who is better this year in Section championship! Sac High losing five 4-year varsity girls this year, so this is their best chance at a big run! Avent and Walters are difference makers. If they are hitting their outside shots, they can beat anyone. Shot selection though is key for this group.
Agree! Sac High is unbeatable when their shots are falling, and when they take good quality, open shots. Their shot selection is critical. They can look awful when these two elements are not working. Interestingly, McClatchy this season is also like Sac High. McClatchy shot around 24% in its awful lost to Heritage--a tribute to Heritage's defense, but also McClatchy couldn't make even open looks that day. They are not as consistent this year.
And yes, Sac High will be losing all their key starters after this season, and 6 of 14 are Seniors. This is their year to win a section title, at a minimum.

Agree! Sac High is unbeatable when their shots are falling, and when they take good quality, open shots. Their shot selection is critical. They can look awful when these two elements are not working. Interestingly, McClatchy this season is also like Sac High. McClatchy shot around 24% in its awful lost to Heritage--a tribute to Heritage's defense, but also McClatchy couldn't make even open looks that day. They are not as consistent this year.
And yes, Sac High will be losing all their key starters after this season, and 6 of 14 are Seniors. This is their year to win a section title, at a minimum.

Not consistent? How Sway?

20-3
1 pt loss to Clovis West
2 pt loss to Folsom
both top 20 teams in California
awful game vs Heritage -- no excuses.

No one else has stayed within 20 all year.

Pretty damn consistent in my book.

Not consistent? How Sway?

20-3
1 pt loss to Clovis West
2 pt loss to Folsom
both top 20 teams in California
awful game vs Heritage -- no excuses.

No one else has stayed within 20 all year.

Pretty damn consistent in my book.

New to board as poster. Hi all. I watch girls ball alot and usually just read on here. But see Tiger always trying to promote McClatchy. So Im asking Tiger who has McClatchy beaten? You put close losses but 1 point or 50 points its a loss. Who significant has McClatchy Beaten? Name 4 best wins.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT