ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Open Division seeding????

If the SJS only gets one or no teams in the Open, then who are the 3 or 4 CCS teams that will make it? No section can have more than 4 teams. Mitty & Pinewood are locks, but who are the other 2? That loss to BOD should ensure that BOD has a higher seed than SHC.

I think this year the NCS should have 4 teams in. If that's the case then a SJS team is doomed with that last slot and and NCS team will make D1 very competitive. Right now it looks as if the NCS has 5 quality teams that should be placed in NCS, CCS 2, NCS 1. If ODowd wins the championship then MM goes D1. Problem solved.

If BOD wins NCS D2 all bets are off and its a complete mess on seeding as runnerups in D1 and D3 could potentially go ahead of BOD (as D2 champ)

If MM wins D2 its a slam dunk MM will be in.

The main question is who is the 8th team? a 3rd team out of the CCS? or a 2nd team out of the SJS?

to me it HAS TO BE a 2nd team from the SJS

Reactions: basketba11
That game is a toss up. Both teams are young and if BOD get their PG back by then I'd give them the nod. 3rd team out of the CCS would be SHC or St. Francis and I don't see either of them competing in the OPEN, BUT I do think they would be better than the 3rd team in the SJS which would be who? McClatchy? I don't keep up with the SJS as much but from what I know (which isn't much at all) it looks like SMS, Sac High, and McClatchy? Odd as it might be the best fit would be to send 4 teams from NCS, 2 CCS, 2 SJS. Someone is getting shafted this year for sure lol

That game is a toss up. Both teams are young and if BOD get their PG back by then I'd give them the nod. 3rd team out of the CCS would be SHC or St. Francis and I don't see either of them competing in the OPEN, BUT I do think they would be better than the 3rd team in the SJS which would be who? McClatchy? I don't keep up with the SJS as much but from what I know (which isn't much at all) it looks like SMS, Sac High, and McClatchy? Odd as it might be the best fit would be to send 4 teams from NCS, 2 CCS, 2 SJS. Someone is getting shafted this year for sure lol

Are we talking about norcal open? You really think shc or sf have a chance? I guess if they both win out (except for mitty) and play another tough game against each other it may happen. Would probably help if they win one game in ccs opening round as well. Pinewood and Mitty are a lock.

Odd as it might be the best fit would be to send 4 teams from NCS, 2 CCS, 2 SJS. Someone is getting shafted this year for sure lol

Getting shafted by having a chance to play for the true state championship in the top bracket? Better to not be seen as one of the top 8 programs in NorCal, and shoot for the NIT trophy? I know, it’s a big state and it’s called a state championship even when it’s teams 17-48, 49-80, etc. slugging it out. CIF needs to do something to reward all the teams selected for the Open division in order to get teams to strive to win and be the best rather than hope to win a lower division. And it’s by no means one poster or school that feels that way, but the way the Open was introduced that makes teams hope to be ranked lower.

Reactions: OnBall8 and ClayK
Getting shafted by having a chance to play for the true state championship in the top bracket? Better to not be seen as one of the top 8 programs in NorCal, and shoot for the NIT trophy? I know, it’s a big state and it’s called a state championship even when it’s teams 17-48, 49-80, etc. slugging it out. CIF needs to do something to reward all the teams selected for the Open division in order to get teams to strive to win and be the best rather than hope to win a lower division. And it’s by no means one poster or school that feels that way, but the way the Open was introduced that makes teams hope to be ranked lower.

No, the team out of the SJS that gets thrown in the OPEN but really deserves to be playing in D1 is the team that will get the short end of the stick. The NCS team that won't get in because they only take 4 from a section is the team that wins the lottery this year. Even still D1 will be VERY competitive this year and I wouldn't consider that a NIT bid at all. Depending on the match up I think some D1 teams could give the bottom half of the OPEN teams a run for their money.

Are we talking about norcal open? You really think shc or sf have a chance? I guess if they both win out (except for mitty) and play another tough game against each other it may happen. Would probably help if they win one game in ccs opening round as well. Pinewood and Mitty are a lock.

No, not the Nor Cal OPEN the CCS open. The CCS OPEN will be Mitty, Pinewood, SHC, St Francis, S.I., and throw in 3 more. Who ever get's that 3rd seed if they win out league besides losing to Mitty and wins the opening round of the CCS OPEN will get the D1 top seed.

I would throw MM or BOD in the mix too depending on what they do the rest of the season. The only thing in the WCAL schools favor is that every win for any team will be over a ranked opponent.

No, not the Nor Cal OPEN the CCS open. The CCS OPEN will be Mitty, Pinewood, SHC, St Francis, S.I., and throw in 3 more. Who ever get's that 3rd seed if they win out league besides losing to Mitty and wins the opening round of the CCS OPEN will get the D1 top seed.

I would throw MM or BOD in the mix too depending on what they do the rest of the season. The only thing in the WCAL schools favor is that every win for any team will be over a ranked opponent.

Are Miramonte and O'Dowd now residing in the Central Coast Section? That would be very large news indeed.

Are Miramonte and O'Dowd now residing in the Central Coast Section? That would be very large news indeed.

Sorry your jumping into the thread of a conversation I was having with someone else about the last spot in the OPEN. Scroll up to read the full conversation

Even if D1 is competitive is still NIT at best. Open is the true state championship. D1 is decent but no where close to open. The accomplishment will be in beating the So Cal D1 champ because that team will likely be better than the #7/8 Nor Cal open team.

for me, high school girls' basketball is about way more than who's #1. in fact, that's a footnote, not the headline. the current playoff structure in Norcal gives 7 groups of 8 teams a chance to finish their Norcal season with up to 3 challenging games. only 2 in each group will play 3, but for most kids, in an up and down season, it's an opportunity, win or lose, to finish against a closely matched opponent.

of course there will be blowouts, but it's a best effort to give 56 teams a chance to celebrate their season and their love of the sport. to celebrate high school girls' basketball. at whatever level of expertise those particular girls play.

Even if D1 is competitive is still NIT at best. Open is the true state championship. D1 is decent but no where close to open. The accomplishment will be in beating the So Cal D1 champ because that team will likely be better than the #7/8 Nor Cal open team.

That is so frustrating and degrading to all the D1-5 teams that have worked hard all year. It's an accomplishment to get to a state final in ANY division. It's true that the open is for the TOP teams in the state but to say that a team like Heritage, SHC, SJND or any bubble team that won a D1 championship isn't a true state champ is just plain dumb. There are great teams D1-5 and just because they're not in the "open" doesn't minimize their accomplishments one bit. Sheesh, I'd hate to be your kid...

Another possible kicker: If one of the WCAL schools upsets Mitty or Pinewood in the semis of the CCS Open, then presumably three teams go from CCS.

And what if Heritage beats Carondelet in NCS D1? Carondelet has wins over Pinewood and Miramonte, plus a tough schedule, and it's hard to see them not in the Open.

I would think the NCS D-2 winner is going Open, but with the D-1 winner and D-3 winner (assuming it's Salesian) probably going Open too, any upset (Salesian or Carondelet) changes the equation dramatically.

And what if Bear Creek and Antelope play a close game in the SJS D-2 final -- would one of those two get considered? Or if somehow SMS loses in the SJS D-1 final, would it get considered?

All that said, I'm thinking:

CCS: 2
NCS: 3
SJS: 2

plus one wildcard.

Hey CityBoy is Sacred Hearts schedule correct on MaxPreps? Are they missing games?

MaxPreps only has SHC listed with 20 games.

I ask because with 5 games left against some good competition were do u seriously see you landing in sections and norcals?

If SHC loses to MM and Mitty the best SHC can do is 10-10. Is SHC even a CCS OPEN team at 10-10? And if they are CCS OPEN where do they get seeded? If its a 7 or 8 seed then they open vs PW or Mitty. Now you are looking at 10-11 potentially. If that happens are they Norcal D2 because under .500 and D1 seems a stretch to me.

*** and Im not trying to be a jerk..I'm seriously asking cause your remaining schedule is not easy and it occurs to me all my observations above are within reason.

basically how do u see this playing out?

Last edited:
That is so frustrating and degrading to all the D1-5 teams that have worked hard all year. It's an accomplishment to get to a state final in ANY division. It's true that the open is for the TOP teams in the state but to say that a team like Heritage, SHC, SJND or any bubble team that won a D1 championship isn't a true state champ is just plain dumb. There are great teams D1-5 and just because they're not in the "open" doesn't minimize their accomplishments one bit. Sheesh, I'd hate to be your kid...
Because you are not in the open and win another division absolutely minimizes the accomplishment. It's exactly what it does. Now, if you are Heritage a public school that has never sniffed a state title, no it would be a good thing. Are you really going to tell me if Mitty was upset in the first round of section (Upsets happen) and they were placed in D1 and won the state title you would not think it would be minimized? Do you think Mitty's national title was minimized last year due to the fact they did not even make a state championship game?

How about in the Southern Section. The SS has 7-8 teams that would be a top 4-5 seed in the north yet 3-4 of these teams are going to play D1 if they limit to 4 per section. So, now you have teams who are legitimately open caliber competing for a d1 title because of an administrative/arbitrary cap. Odds are one of those teams previously beat one or two of the teams going open. Do you think that diminishes their state title? I do.

This is not harsh or make me a bad father it is reality. Especially with private programs that have had a history of success and championships, anything less than making open is minimized. Perhaps I should have clarified that.

Hey CityBoy is Sacred Hearts schedule correct on MaxPreps? Are they missing games?

MaxPreps only has SHC listed with 20 games.

I ask because with 5 games left against some good competition were do u seriously see you landing in sections and norcals?

If SHC loses to MM and Mitty the best SHC can do is 10-10. Is SHC even a CCS OPEN team at 10-10? And if they are CCS OPEN where do they get seeded? If its a 7 or 8 seed then they open vs PW or Mitty. Now you are looking at 10-11 potentially. If that happens are they Norcal D2 because under .500 and D1 seems a stretch to me.

*** and Im not trying to be a jerk..I'm seriously asking cause your remaining schedule is not easy and it occurs to me all my observations above are within reason.

basically how do u see this playing out?

They are missing games on the schedule for multiple teams in the WCAL for some reason. There's a home game tonight not listed.

No matter what SHC will be a CCS OPEN team. The CCS takes the top 4 teams from our league. I think that will be Mitty, SHC, St. Francis and SI. Depending on how 2-4 land will determine that first round CCS match up. By then Milan Tuttle will be back and they should look a lot different then they have pushing everyone back to their correct positions and giving them more depth.

The CCS rule is that you either have to go .500 in the pre-season or .500 in regular season. Last years team did not go .500 in pre-season, went .500 in league and finished 3rd. Got bounced out the first round of CCS and I think got a 3 seed in D1. Based on their schedule alone and history i can't see them getting a D1 seed.

After the top 8 Nor Cal OPEN teams they are somewhere in the field of the next 16 teams for sure.

Reactions: northbaybbguru
Because you are not in the open and win another division absolutely minimizes the accomplishment. It's exactly what it does. Now, if you are Heritage a public school that has never sniffed a state title, no it would be a good thing. Are you really going to tell me if Mitty was upset in the first round of section (Upsets happen) and they were placed in D1 and won the state title you would not think it would be minimized? Do you think Mitty's national title was minimized last year due to the fact they did not even make a state championship game?

How about in the Southern Section. The SS has 7-8 teams that would be a top 4-5 seed in the north yet 3-4 of these teams are going to play D1 if they limit to 4 per section. So, now you have teams who are legitimately open caliber competing for a d1 title because of an administrative/arbitrary cap. Odds are one of those teams previously beat one or two of the teams going open. Do you think that diminishes their state title? I do.

This is not harsh or make me a bad father it is reality. Especially with private programs that have had a history of success and championships, anything less than making open is minimized. Perhaps I should have clarified that.

If Mitty lost in CCS OPEN they would still go Nor Cal OPEN. The committee isn't that bad. I don't think it minimizes the accomplishment. Otherwise we'd be saying that all of the state championships prior to the OPEN were meaningless. The competition level is still good and there are some college level players in those divisions.

The CCS takes the top 4 teams from our league. I think that will be Mitty, SHC, St. Francis and SI. Depending on how 2-4 land will determine that first round CCS match up
A few years ago, the CCS changed the rule and they could take more than 4 teams from a league, but no more than 3 from the same division. Again the key word is could but they don't have to. Just an interesting aspect with all the teams after Mitty looking fairly equal

I think the Open Division should be all private and charter schools that has a legacy of success. Lets us public school fight among ourselves.
I agree too, although I think there would need to be a loophole in case there is a REALLY strong public school (like Miramonte a couple years ago or Oak Ridge with Sara James or Piedmont with the Paris twins).

I disagree with that assessment, Oak Ridge being a public school will have some years when they are really good and some years are going to be above average due to the fluctuation of talent coming into the public schools and our restrictions to our boundaries. Charter schools and private schools do not play under the same rules.

They should have a opportunity to have a chance to win a section and state championship at their student enrollment.

Reactions: colhenrylives

They are missing games on the schedule for multiple teams in the WCAL for some reason. There's a home game tonight not listed.

No matter what SHC will be a CCS OPEN team. The CCS takes the top 4 teams from our league. I think that will be Mitty, SHC, St. Francis and SI. Depending on how 2-4 land will determine that first round CCS match up. By then Milan Tuttle will be back and they should look a lot different then they have pushing everyone back to their correct positions and giving them more depth.

The CCS rule is that you either have to go .500 in the pre-season or .500 in regular season. Last years team did not go .500 in pre-season, went .500 in league and finished 3rd. Got bounced out the first round of CCS and I think got a 3 seed in D1. Based on their schedule alone and history i can't see them getting a D1 seed.

After the top 8 Nor Cal OPEN teams they are somewhere in the field of the next 16 teams for sure.

ok..that explains alot....I thought it was strange that LyRyan would not schedule the full amount of games. Yea they will be fine.

thanks

Big weekend of games !

So from what I am seeing several key games played on 1/26/19 will pretty much wrap up a lot of the Open discussion until regional Tournament time. Sure I see a couple less challenging and less meaningful games the first week of February.

So I'll wait till sometime after 1/26/19 to update my SOS poll.

A few years ago, the CCS changed the rule and they could take more than 4 teams from a league, but no more than 3 from the same division. Again the key word is could but they don't have to. Just an interesting aspect with all the teams after Mitty looking fairly equal

Wcal had 5 teams in open last year. Vc was left out. I see the same happening this year maybe even 6. Pinewood ans Menlo get in as well.

Yea 2 years ago they did away with the 4 team cap from a single league. But there is still a cap of no more than 3 from a single enrollment div so SF, AM, VC, and Pres are all DII by enrollment and therefore cannot all go into CCS open. So in that regards, the WCAL is maxed out at 5 teams (SI and SHC are both DIII)

Curious to see everyone's open predictions as of today. Is SMS in?Folsom? Salesian? Heritage? Sac High? Antelope? McClatchy?

Clearly in:
CLET
Pinewood
Mitty

Agreed?

What if Carondelet loses to Heritage or SRV or Cal in the NCS D-1 final?

What if Carondelet loses to Heritage or SRV or Cal in the NCS D-1 final?

With all due respect SRV has a SoS of 10.4 which is the 2nd lowest of any of the Top 75 teams in the State and though stranger things have happened I don't think these teams are fishing in the same waters.

Heritage is tough so i could see both teams getting in.

Reactions: stepslide
Here's an update to my latest predictions:
1. CCS: Mitty
2. CCS: Pinewood
3. SJS: D1 winner Folsom (barring upset by St.Marys/McClatchy/Bear Creek)
4. NCS: D2 winner MM (barring upset from BOD)
5. SJS: D2 winner Antelope (barring upset by Sac High)
6. NCS: D1 winner Carondelet
7. NCS: D3 winner Salesian (barring upset by CN/SJND)
8. NCS: D1 runner up Heritage

OR if Folsom and Antelope lose, could look like this:
3. NCS: D2 winner MM
4. NCS: D1 winner Carondelet
5. NCS: D3 winner Salesian
6. NCS: D1 runner up Heritage
7. SJS: D2 winner Sac High
8. SJS: D1 winner St Marys/McClatchy/Bear Creek

Reactions: northbaybbguru
Here's an update to my latest predictions:
3. SJS: D1 winner Folsom (barring upset by St.Marys/McClatchy/Bear Creek)
4. NCS: D2 winner MM (barring upset from BOD)
5. SJS: D2 winner Antelope (barring upset by Sac High)
6. NCS: D1 winner Carondelet
7. NCS: D3 winner Salesian (barring upset by CN/SJND)
8. NCS: D1 runner up Heritage

OR if Folsom and Antelope lose, could look like this:
3. NCS: D2 winner MM
4. NCS: D1 winner Carondelet
5. NCS: D3 winner Salesian
6. NCS: D1 runner up Heritage
7. SJS: D2 winner Sac High
8. SJS: D1 winner St Marys/McClatchy/Bear Creek
This is very good and I can tell you follow closely. I don't think Sac High beating Antelope would be an upset. Don't they have 2 Division 1 players? Having a D1 player on your team or 2 is an absolute game changer. Mitty, Pinewood, Salesian, C let all have multiple Division 1 players and at the end of the day that seperates them from the remainder of norcal. It's so hard to beat teams like that unless you are one of them.

I would consider Antelope the underdogs, if we are lucky enough to make it to the D2 finals against Sac High. Both teams will have to win against tough competitions just to make it to the finals.

Sac High plays all 7 of their seniors on the team. Avent and Walters are both D1 college players and Brown is committed to a D2 college program. All Sac High players are battle tested and are very well coached.

Antelope has one senior, Arianna Spann who plays significant minutes and been out half the season due to a stress fracture. Ari is still not in game shape.

Last edited:
A couple notes:

Carondelet beat Miramonte, so if both are section winners, Carondelet should get the nod.

Miramonte beat Folsom, so if both are section winners, Miramonte should be seeded higher.

Folsom beat Carondelet, however, so if all three are section winners I don't know what you do.

With all due respect SRV has a SoS of 10.4 which is the 2nd lowest of any of the Top 75 teams in the State and though stranger things have happened I don't think these teams are fishing in the same waters.

Heritage is tough so i could see both teams getting in.
But when I wrote that I was a hater. fishing in different waters is a good one, I like it.

Reactions: TigerStancil
Yea 2 years ago they did away with the 4 team cap from a single league. But there is still a cap of no more than 3 from a single enrollment div so SF, AM, VC, and Pres are all DII by enrollment and therefore cannot all go into CCS open. So in that regards, the WCAL is maxed out at 5 teams (SI and SHC are both DIII)

Not true, I believe CCS did away with that bylaw this past year or at least according to their published bylaws on their website. Now all 6 WCAL teams can be put in open regardless of enrollment division.

CCS is allowing more teams to go Norcals now. They used to only allow 4 max per division go, so if (Mitty, SF, VC) all were in open, only 1 more D2 team could go Norcal. Not so any more, both champion and runner up in D2 would now go to norcal from CCS. Other sections were sending semi-final losers and CCS finally got with the program and are rewarding at least champions and runner ups with norcal bids.

I would consider Antelope the underdogs, if we are lucky enough to make it to the D2 finals against Sac High. Both teams will have to win against tough competitions just to make it to the finals.

Sac High plays all 7 of their seniors on the team. Avent and Walters are both D1 college players and Brown is committed to a D2 college program. All Sac High players are battle tested and are very well coached.

Antelope has one senior, Arianna Spann who plays significant minutes and been out half the season due to a stress fracture. Ari is still not in game shape.
1. Underdogs? According to Max Preps you would be the favorite.
2. Battle tested? Yes, Sac High is battle tested.
3. Game shape should happen by February.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT