ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Open Division seeding????

northbay,
I'm glad to see you back posting again as you obviously have an extreme amount of knowledge. With St Mary's having Oliver back and now beating Heritage in their rematch game, my thinking has changed. The loss to Carondelet isn't a bad loss (especially after last night's win vs. Pinewood). SMS has a bunch of tough games left though, so hard to predict how they will finish. But IMO, they would get the nod over Heritage for Open. It will be interesting how Heritage finishes, but I have a feeling they will lose possibly 2 of 3 between McClatchy, Sac High, and Antelope. And I don't think they will be able to upset Carondelet in D1. So my prediction now is for Heritage to be highly ranked in D1 Norcal playoffs. If they sweep or win 2 of 3 from McClatchy, Sac and Antelope, then maybe they can get an 8 seed in Open.
I agree with you totally that MM is an Open team. They have some high quality wins, and even the close loss to Carondelet looks better now. IMO, I don't think they will lose any more games this season. Of course if they lose to Folsom, this could add a monkey wrench and work towards Clay's suggestions about SJS D1 runner up getting the nod over MM. But I don't think they will lose this Saturday, especially having home court advantage. If they win Saturday and win D2, I would think they are a lock for Open.
BOD will still play a factor in all of this. They are banged up but come Feb/March they will make a run.

Pinewood's loss shakes things up a little, as it could mean they are more vulnerable than expected and could get upset in the CCS Open semis, which would present a dilemma to the committee if that's the only other Pinewood loss.

My sense is that the committee will reward section champs, and thus, as northbayguru says, it will be the three NCS section winners -- and if that holds, then probably SJS D-1 and D-2 winners. That's five, plus two from CCS (assuming Pinewood and Mitty meet in the Open finals).

So one runner-up, or a semi loser from CCS, goes Open.

Reactions: northbaybbguru
Pinewood's loss shakes things up a little, as it could mean they are more vulnerable than expected and could get upset in the CCS Open semis, which would present a dilemma to the committee if that's the only other Pinewood loss.

My sense is that the committee will reward section champs, and thus, as northbayguru says, it will be the three NCS section winners -- and if that holds, then probably SJS D-1 and D-2 winners. That's five, plus two from CCS (assuming Pinewood and Mitty meet in the Open finals).

So one runner-up, or a semi loser from CCS, goes Open.

What's the rationale for CCS having so few NorCal Open slots?

[QUOTE="ClayK, post: 224550, member:

Or does the committee only take section champs (aside from Pinewood/Mitty) and relegate the loser of Carondelet/Heritage (presumably) and whoever the SJS D-1 loser is to Open D-1, taking both D-2 winners into the Open?[/QUOTE]
Clay,
I think you need to pump the brakes on penciling Heritage in the D1 title game. Have you seen SRV? They are every bit as good and much deeper. Also Cal Hi is young and come playoff time I would put them even on paper with Heritage.

I get what your trying to say BUT EDISON BEAT McClatchy on a Neutral site last year. They deserved to have to come on the road to edison. And Edison Beat them AGAIN. So i wouldnt call it an upset.

The SJS sectional playoffs for D1 and D2 could come down to seedings. We still have a long way to go, but if McClatchy is able to beat Heritage this Saturday, they could end up with the #1 seed in D1. Same with Antelope for D2. You want to have a #1 or #2 seed because the semi-finals is no longer played at neutral site. It seems every year the SJS section always makes some mistakes for seeding in Sectionals. In D1, I'm sure between McClatchy, St Marys and Folsom, they do not want to be on the same side of the bracket as the other two. None of these 3 will want to play the other at their home gym. Last year, McClatchy got a low seed and had to play at Edison and got upset. Same thing in D2 this year. Between Antelope, Bear Creek and Sac High, 2 of these teams will be on same side and will have to travel and play at the opponent's home gym. Last year Sac got low seed and lost playing at Del Oro. Most likely the winners of the Section this year could be pulled into the Open this year. St Mary's is not the overwhelming favorite they have been in the past in D1, so could be interesting. Will be fun to see what happens. Good luck to all the SJS teams and hoping every team stays healthy and St Mary's is able to get their injured back on the court by the end of the year.

Reactions: basketba11
I get what your trying to say BUT EDISON BEAT McClatchy on a Neutral site last year. They deserved to have to come on the road to edison. And Edison Beat them AGAIN. So i wouldnt call it an upset.
You are right Coach and you have the ultimate final say in SCOREBOARD! In my opinion, head to head is obviously very important in seeding teams. BUT there is many more things to be taken into consideration. I think strength of schedule is a big factor, need to look at quality wins, also from what I understand league champion is supposed to be taken into consideration by the Committee. I thought McClatchy should have been a 3 seed ahead of Cosumnes Oaks and Edison in regards to the other considerations. But the committee obviously thought head to head was more important, and obviously you agreed. You might have some bias in there as well, LOL. But as I said, you have SCOREBOARD on your side!

Basketball11 you’ve been bias often towards players and coaches. So don’t discredit Edison’s wins over Ckm in your polite fashion. Wins are wins losses are losses. Yes it’s time for you to get called out.

[QUOTE="ClayK, post: 224550, member:

Or does the committee only take section champs (aside from Pinewood/Mitty) and relegate the loser of Carondelet/Heritage (presumably) and whoever the SJS D-1 loser is to Open D-1, taking both D-2 winners into the Open?
Clay,
I think you need to pump the brakes on penciling Heritage in the D1 title game. Have you seen SRV? They are every bit as good and much deeper. Also Cal Hi is young and come playoff time I would put them even on paper with Heritage.[/QUOTE]

That is like playing Madden and think you can actually go on the field and play for real. SRV needs to quit hiding if they want to be taken serious. For any SRV fan to tell someone to pump the brakes is comical. Heritage plays teams. Heritage beats teams. SRV quality win this year? 11th highest SOS in NCS Division 1 out of 24 teams. Heritage is playing McClatchy this weekend, who is SRV playing. Heritage beat Cardinal Newman at Cardinal Newman, who has SRV beat. Heritage beat SHC who has SRV beat. Heritage won the an elite bracket at the WCJ what has SRV won? Heritage still has non league games against Eastside, Antelope and Sac High. What non league games does SRV have left?

Pump the brakes? It only makes it worse if SRV was able to beat Heritage, the soft schedule becomes even more magnified. Teams that hide have no idea what these elite programs go through as far as their schedule. Everyone is critical of their losses. Even Mitty losing at the TOC to what we call "average" national teams. Those national teams would be SRV by 50 without blinking yet Mitty is now suspect because of a loss. That is why I am hard on them for their excuses. No need for excuses those are legitimate national level high school teams with pros on them.

Last edited:
Clay,
I think you need to pump the brakes on penciling Heritage in the D1 title game. Have you seen SRV? They are every bit as good and much deeper. Also Cal Hi is young and come playoff time I would put them even on paper with Heritage.

That is like playing Madden and think you can actually go on the field and play for real. SRV needs to quit hiding if they want to be taken serious. For any SRV fan to tell someone to pump the brakes is comical. Heritage plays teams. Heritage beats teams. SRV quality win this year? 11th highest SOS in NCS Division 1 out of 24 teams. Heritage is playing McClatchy this weekend, who is SRV playing. Heritage beat Cardinal Newman at Cardinal Newman, who has SRV beat. Heritage beat SHC who has SRV beat. Heritage won the an elite bracket at the WCJ what has SRV won? Heritage still has non league games against Eastside, Antelope and Sac High. What non league games does SRV have left?

Pump the brakes? It only makes it worse if SRV was able to beat Heritage, the soft schedule becomes even more magnified. Teams that hide have no idea what these elite programs go through as far as their schedule. Everyone is critical of their losses. Even Mitty losing at the TOC to what we call "average" national teams. Those national teams would be SRV by 50 without blinking yet Mitty is now suspect because of a loss. That is why I am hard on them for their excuses. No need for excuses those are legitimate national level high school teams with pros on them.[/QUOTE]

Did I ever strike a nerve. Chill out. Nowhere did I say SRV, or Cal for that matter, had a strong SOS. I was only making the point having seen all 3 teams both SRV and Cal are as good as Herritage and one cannot simply pencil in Clet vs Hertiage in the D1 final. Clet is double digits better than all 3. However, the gap between the next 3 is very marginal. Your SOS argument belongs on another topic and I won't disagree with you.

To late...BOD going Division 1 and may be the best thing for them. Division 1 will be competitive with CN, SHC, ESP, BOD, St. Francis, SI and a few more I'm sure.

Yeah BOD with a healthy Jada Holland is a different team. Just not the same this season without her. Too bad we've seen the number of injuries we've had in local prep girls basketball. Hopefully teams can get through the rest of the season without anymore major injuries. And a fast and full recovery goes out to all who have been injured.

CityBoy415,

Do you think Dublin has a chance to slide in there and become a bit of a factor come March? Or was the upset over CN the milestone they will reach this season?

Clay,

Pump the brakes? It only makes it worse if SRV was able to beat Heritage, the soft schedule becomes even more magnified. Teams that hide have no idea what these elite programs go through as far as their schedule. Everyone is critical of their losses. Even Mitty losing at the TOC to what we call "average" national teams. Those national teams would be SRV by 50 without blinking yet Mitty is now suspect because of a loss. That is why I am hard on them for their excuses. No need for excuses those are legitimate national level high school teams with pros on them.[/QUOTE]

I think SRV is doing fine. No where have I read or heard that their players or coaches are saying they belong in the same class as elite programs like Pinewood, Mitty, C let , Heritage etc. They are a hard working group with 5 freshman playing significant minutes. I know for a fact they have come a long way from just a few years ago. I think he was just saying that Heritage is not a lock to beat them or Cal High. I don't think anyone on here or within the program considers SRV to be an elite. Heritage has been an elite program now for almost 10 years of course they are going to play tough teams every year. They have Division 1 basketball players on their team. So does Dublin, so does C LET(2), so does Cardinal Newman, so does Sac High (2). Don't think anyone is arguing that their schedule has been tough.

To late...BOD going Division 1 and may be the best thing for them. Division 1 will be competitive with CN, SHC, ESP, BOD, St. Francis, SI and a few more I'm sure.

don't count on that...they just had trouble with Alameda and still have to play Piedmont (returns everyone), Mt. Eden, and Berkeley. At first I thought they'd run the table but after I saw the Alameda score, much different.

I respect everyone's opinion on these boards. So i understand what you mean but if you do a little more research Edison SOS drops Dramatically at the end of the year due to league. Something that Some teams have no control over. McClatchy was and still is a very good basketball team and im sure it may seem an upset to some but you dont beat a team then grant them a higher seed then call it a upset when they beat them twice.

You are right Coach and you have the ultimate final say in SCOREBOARD! In my opinion, head to head is obviously very important in seeding teams. BUT there is many more things to be taken into consideration. I think strength of schedule is a big factor, need to look at quality wins, also from what I understand league champion is supposed to be taken into consideration by the Committee. I thought McClatchy should have been a 3 seed ahead of Cosumnes Oaks and Edison in regards to the other considerations. But the committee obviously thought head to head was more important, and obviously you agreed. You might have some bias in there as well, LOL. But as I said, you have SCOREBOARD on your side!

I respect everyone's opinion on these boards. So i understand what you mean but if you do a little more research Edison SOS drops Dramatically at the end of the year due to league. Something that Some teams have no control over. McClatchy was and still is a very good basketball team and im sure it may seem an upset to some but you dont beat a team then grant them a higher seed then call it a upset when they beat them twice.
You got me there Coach. With your win, you definitely validated the Committee's choice to seed you ahead of them. SCOREBOARD!

Well thanks. Might be kinda hard to see how hard we work at edison to turn this program around in the recent years. Maybe I should've put my team in a low tier bracket in the west coast jamboree and go 3-0 so i can have 17 wins early january but thats not my style. We have schedule vs the best and dont run from anyone. win or lose we gonna play anyone.

You got me there Coach. With your win, you definitely validated the Committee's choice to seed you ahead of them. SCOREBOARD!

Couple points:

*BOD will be Division II for the next two seasons, I believe. Miramonte will move to Division I next year barring a collapse in postseason (though our point guard, Amerika de los Santos, tore her ACL Saturday in a win over Chaminade).

*San Ramon Valley has lots of talent, from what I hear, but has played one team that's ranked in Northern California, Bear Valley. They lost by 31.

Couple points:

*BOD will be Division II for the next two seasons, I believe. Miramonte will move to Division I next year barring a collapse in postseason (though our point guard, Amerika de los Santos, tore her ACL Saturday in a win over Chaminade).

*San Ramon Valley has lots of talent, from what I hear, but has played one team that's ranked in Northern California, Bear Valley. They lost by 31.
Oh geez, another ACL injury in girls basketball. She is a huge loss to MM, sorry to hear about that Clay.

Couple points:

Clay,

That is sad news to hear about America de los Santos. These injuries are disturbing and very unfortunate. I wish her a fast and full recovery. I think you meant to say Bear Creek, not Bear Valley.

The America de Los Santos loss is huge. And under many coaching staffs I would say stick a fork in em or pull MM out the oven they're done. But they have very good coaching. A staff that year after year does more with less than most. So I'm sure they will adjust. My heart goes out to the De Los Santos family. I've been impressed watching America for years before she reached high school. I know she comes from a background that loves to compete.

Last edited:
Reactions: TigerStancil
knowing more about ACLs than I'd like, my heart goes out to Amerika. she has developed into a fine point guard with fearless penetration. she missed her freshman year with an injury, so she is only part way into her second playing season, but is definitely the stick that stirs the drink. get well, girl, take as much time as you need, and no need to hurry. you'll be back next season. the hard work will be worth it.

Reactions: Paytc
First off I love the spirited discussions here I'm learning a lot about some programs that I wasn't very familiar with. I may be in the minority with my thinking but I think the Sacramento teams (Folsom, Sac High, McClatchy and Antelope) are a bit underestimated on the boards with McClatchy being more of an after thought in most discussions and some reliving games from last season as if that has any bearing on where we are today. We have a TOUGH game tomorrow vs Heritage and rematch against Folsom on January 23rd and I think we'll have to revisit some of these discussions but I think this team has a shot of making a run at it.

hateful comments in 3,2,.......

First off I love the spirited discussions here I'm learning a lot about some programs that I wasn't very familiar with. I may be in the minority with my thinking but I think the Sacramento teams (Folsom, Sac High, McClatchy and Antelope) are a bit underestimated on the boards with McClatchy being more of an after thought in most discussions and some reliving games from last season as if that has any bearing on where we are today. We have a TOUGH game tomorrow vs Heritage and rematch against Folsom on January 23rd and I think we'll have to revisit some of these discussions but I think this team has a shot of making a run at it.

McClatchy is solid and will have a huge say in things in SJS and the Open. My issue is always strength of schedule and not having excuses. McClatchy never offers excuses and always plays tough teams.

Pump the brakes? It only makes it worse if SRV was able to beat Heritage, the soft schedule becomes even more magnified. Teams that hide have no idea what these elite programs go through as far as their schedule. Everyone is critical of their losses. Even Mitty losing at the TOC to what we call "average" national teams. Those national teams would be SRV by 50 without blinking yet Mitty is now suspect because of a loss. That is why I am hard on them for their excuses. No need for excuses those are legitimate national level high school teams with pros on them.

I think SRV is doing fine. No where have I read or heard that their players or coaches are saying they belong in the same class as elite programs like Pinewood, Mitty, C let , Heritage etc. They are a hard working group with 5 freshman playing significant minutes. I know for a fact they have come a long way from just a few years ago. I think he was just saying that Heritage is not a lock to beat them or Cal High. I don't think anyone on here or within the program considers SRV to be an elite. Heritage has been an elite program now for almost 10 years of course they are going to play tough teams every year. They have Division 1 basketball players on their team. So does Dublin, so does C LET(2), so does Cardinal Newman, so does Sac High (2). Don't think anyone is arguing that their schedule has been tough.[/QUOTE]

I think SRV is doing fine also. In my opinion before you can say you're equal or better than the proven teams you need to either beat those teams or have a similar resume. Heritage is far from a huge favorite but a favorite nonetheless. For someone to come on and make some observation they have seen both play and that they are equal or close is biased. I have not seen SRV play but I have seen Heritage play three times this season at different showcase events and tournaments. I will get to see Heritage and McClatchy play tomorrow. I would say McClatchy is the slight favorite.

Tiger--about two weeks ago I did see on Folsom's MaxPreps schedule a rematch game against McClatchy, at Folsom on 1/23. But last week and right now that game is NOT listed on the schedule. Is there still a rematch game?

I think SRV is doing fine. No where have I read or heard that their players or coaches are saying they belong in the same class as elite programs like Pinewood, Mitty, C let , Heritage etc. They are a hard working group with 5 freshman playing significant minutes. I know for a fact they have come a long way from just a few years ago. I think he was just saying that Heritage is not a lock to beat them or Cal High. I don't think anyone on here or within the program considers SRV to be an elite. Heritage has been an elite program now for almost 10 years of course they are going to play tough teams every year. They have Division 1 basketball players on their team. So does Dublin, so does C LET(2), so does Cardinal Newman, so does Sac High (2). Don't think anyone is arguing that their schedule has been tough.

I think SRV is doing fine also. In my opinion before you can say you're equal or better than the proven teams you need to either beat those teams or have a similar resume. Heritage is far from a huge favorite but a favorite nonetheless. For someone to come on and make some observation they have seen both play and that they are equal or close is biased. I have not seen SRV play but I have seen Heritage play three times this season at different showcase events and tournaments. I will get to see Heritage and McClatchy play tomorrow. I would say McClatchy is the slight favorite.[/QUOTE]
You are delusional. It's my opinion they are about equal. No bias. Can I not state my opinion. Who made you the board monitor? Good god. Go back to your hole.

I knew straightline50 was going to create some enemies on here. :) Quick to hop on different bandwagons. Coaches/teams even players will get compliments & bashing at the same time from you. You confused bud?

I think SRV is doing fine also. In my opinion before you can say you're equal or better than the proven teams you need to either beat those teams or have a similar resume. Heritage is far from a huge favorite but a favorite nonetheless. For someone to come on and make some observation they have seen both play and that they are equal or close is biased. I have not seen SRV play but I have seen Heritage play three times this season at different showcase events and tournaments. I will get to see Heritage and McClatchy play tomorrow. I would say McClatchy is the slight favorite.
You are delusional. It's my opinion they are about equal. No bias. Can I not state my opinion. Who made you the board monitor? Good god. Go back to your hole.[/QUOTE]
Heritage will be or should be very disciplined as well as Ckm in their matchup tomorrow. Ota better have his coaching hat on.

Not a hateful comment. I do think McClatchy has had top tier talent for the past few years. I also believe that MCK underachieves every year. Last year was suppose to be a OPEN team but couldnt even make it out of the quarterfinals in SJS and lost in 1st rd of State. This year they have a real chance at winning SJS D1. But it cant be all on Lowery shoulders. Hall doesnt look like she has got any better since last year, and the youngsters arent quite ready to play at the high caliber level just yet. SMS just got oliver back so thats a HUGE bonus. it should be really interesting to see how it plays out as the best team in the SJS..

SMS
Antelope
Bear Creek
Sac Hi
MCK
Folsom

don't count on that...they just had trouble with Alameda and still have to play Piedmont (returns everyone), Mt. Eden, and Berkeley. At first I thought they'd run the table but after I saw the Alameda score, much different.
16 teams in D1. They will be one of them

Yeah BOD with a healthy Jada Holland is a different team. Just not the same this season without her. Too bad we've seen the number of injuries we've had in local prep girls basketball. Hopefully teams can get through the rest of the season without anymore major injuries. And a fast and full recovery goes out to all who have been injured.

CityBoy415,

Do you think Dublin has a chance to slide in there and become a bit of a factor come March? Or was the upset over CN the milestone they will reach this season?

All depends on if the coach can rally them. They have been losing a lot lately but if they can can put together a string of wins and make the playoffs everyone has a chance

Last edited:
So do the games this weekend change anyone's thoughts on seedings/teams for Open Division? Congrats to Miramonte for putting on a top notch day of games! (surprised no one mentioned all the Cal Stars girls playing for each of the teams) There were definitely some interesting matchups throughout the day that should have implications in future seedings whether it be Open or D1. SHCP did look flat and a bit tired against BOD after a tough loss at Saint Francis the night before. Too bad this game was played early, think it could have benefited SHCP to play this game later afternoon. SHCP made a couple runs, but didn't appear to have the energy.
MM and CLET didn't play their best games Saturday, but still was good enough to come out with close wins. Obviously without Gallegos, Folsom not the same team-give them credit for making it a tough game for MM. Maybe CLET had little bit of let down after big win against Pinewood? Or maybe need to give SJND much more credit that they are getting. With Duckett, Mastora and Lepolo, great guard play can keep them in games. I am interested to see how they do coming up against Bishop's and Bear Creek, will be good tests for them to see where they truly stand.
Biggest impressive performances have to be Mitty and Heritage!! Both of them put on a clinic that don't think anyone expected to happen in either game. Mitty jumped on Salesian early and played an amazing first half in leading 40-16 at the break. If anyone does not think Mitty has what it takes this season to win a State Championship, they must be misguided.
Lastly, I think Heritage might have opened a lot of people's eyes as well. If they play the way they did against McClatchy, they have a change to winning the D1 NCS this year against Carondelet. Can we all give credit to point guard Jordan Sweeney? She doesn't seem to get a lot of recognition, but Idaho State has signed a true point guard for their future. She dominated McClatchy and played the entire game. She controlled the tempo, handled any pressure, made every right decision, was a 2nd coach on the floor. Whatever shot Heritage wanted to get whether in transition, working the offense, working the shot clock down, inside to Muse, hitting outside 3's. McClatchy had no shot to win this game even if the 2 missing players were there. Very impressive performance.

Last edited:
Not a hateful comment. I do think McClatchy has had top tier talent for the past few years. I also believe that MCK underachieves every year. Last year was suppose to be a OPEN team but couldnt even make it out of the quarterfinals in SJS and lost in 1st rd of State. This year they have a real chance at winning SJS D1. But it cant be all on Lowery shoulders. Hall doesnt look like she has got any better since last year, and the youngsters arent quite ready to play at the high caliber level just yet. SMS just got oliver back so thats a HUGE bonus. it should be really interesting to see how it plays out as the best team in the SJS..

SMS
Antelope
Bear Creek
Sac Hi
MCK
Folsom
Under achieve

SMS
Antelope
Bear Creek
Sac Hi
MCK
Folsom

So winning the D1 title in '15 and runner up in '17 is an underachieving public school? Tough crowd.

No one doing it on their own. Hall has grown over the last year and a half, the Little's are getting better everyday and on that note if anyone has seen White(turned 14 in November) play and not come away impressed let's talk.

I like the 6 schools you picked and wouldn't be shocked to 3 of the 6 make a real run at a state title with SMS in the Open, CKM D1, Antelope winning D2.

So do the games this weekend change anyone's thoughts on seedings/teams for Open Division? Congrats to Miramonte for putting on a top notch day of games! (surprised no one mentioned all the Cal Stars girls playing for each of the teams) There were definitely some interesting matchups throughout the day that should have implications in future seedings whether it be Open or D1. SHCP did look flat and a bit tired against BOD after a tough loss at Saint Francis the night before. Too bad this game was played early, think it could have benefited SHCP to play this game later afternoon. SHCP made a couple runs, but didn't appear to have the energy.
MM and CLET didn't play their best games Saturday, but still was good enough to come out with close wins. Obviously without Gallegos, Folsom not the same team-give them credit for making it a tough game for MM. Maybe CLET had little bit of let down after big win against Pinewood? Or maybe need to give SJND much more credit that they are getting. With Duckett, Mastora and Lepolo, great guard play can keep them in games. I am interested to see how they do coming up against Bishop's and Bear Creek, will be good tests for them to see where they truly stand.
Biggest impressive performances have to be Mitty and Heritage!! Both of them put on a clinic that don't think anyone expected to happen in either game. Mitty jumped on Salesian early and played an amazing first half in leading 40-16 at the break. If anyone does not think Mitty has what it takes this season to win a State Championship, they must be misguided.
Lastly, I think Heritage might have opened a lot of people's eyes as well. If they play the way they did against McClatchy, they have a change to winning the D2 NCS this year against Carondelet. Can we all give credit to point guard Jordan Sweeney? She doesn't seem to get a lot of recognition, but Idaho State has signed a true point guard for their future. She dominated McClatchy and played the entire game. She controlled the tempo, handled any pressure, made every right decision, was a 2nd coach on the floor. Whatever shot Heritage wanted to get whether in transition, working the offense, working the shot clock down, inside to Muse, hitting outside 3's. McClatchy had no shot to win this game even if the 2 missing players were there. Very impressive performance.

Tough week for SHC. Emotional rivalry game early in the week against SI, tough one on the road against St Francis then back for an early one against BOD. I don't think they are an open team anyway though so that loss doesn't effect them much. I think the toughest part of the OPEN will be seeding. Everyone will return to their regular leagues after the MLK games and everyone besides Mitty will have a cake walk through league. All the teams are pretty much even and can beat each other on any given night but I think playing at home or on the road will mean a lot come Nor Cal. Also, figuring out that 5th- 8th seed is going to be a toss up. I think unless Pinewood beats Mitty in the OPEN CCS Mitty will get the #1 seed bearing any upsets. Then who gets 2? You have Pinewood, Heritage, C-Let, Salesian to decide from but who ever ends up with the 5 seed has to go on the road! How does 6-8 come together? BOD, MM, St. Joes, Cardinal Newman, McClatchy, Folsom. I think the NCS championship games will have some say so but it's going to be tough.

Tough week for SHC. Emotional rivalry game early in the week against SI, tough one on the road against St Francis then back for an early one against BOD. I don't think they are an open team anyway though so that loss doesn't effect them much. I think the toughest part of the OPEN will be seeding. Everyone will return to their regular leagues after the MLK games and everyone besides Mitty will have a cake walk through league. All the teams are pretty much even and can beat each other on any given night but I think playing at home or on the road will mean a lot come Nor Cal. Also, figuring out that 5th- 8th seed is going to be a toss up. I think unless Pinewood beats Mitty in the OPEN CCS Mitty will get the #1 seed bearing any upsets. Then who gets 2? You have Pinewood, Heritage, C-Let, Salesian to decide from but who ever ends up with the 5 seed has to go on the road! How does 6-8 come together? BOD, MM, St. Joes, Cardinal Newman, McClatchy, Folsom. I think the NCS championship games will have some say so but it's going to be tough.
Yes, I agree CityBoy about SHC. These losses could affect their D1 NorCal seedings because don't think they will be selected into Open. You are correct, many of the top teams can beat each other on any given night and home court could provide a big advantage in Norcals. With these losses to SF and BOD, their seeding for D1 will most likely drop.
With the seedings for Open, there are still several games left on the schedule that will be an impact. Mitty has games left at Carondelet and at SJND along with their tough league schedule. Salesian and Pinewood will face off on 1/26, and Salesian also scheduled to play St Mary's Stockton and BOD. Heritage has games left against SJS D2 teams Sac High and Antelope. Miramonte's toughest contest will be against Bishop Gorman of Las Vegas, and are scheduled to play against SHC also.
Most likely 2 of the SJS teams will probably be seeded 6-8 somewhere in the Open and will get road games, probably the D1 and D2 Section champions.

Yes, I agree CityBoy about SHC. These losses could affect their D1 NorCal seedings because don't think they will be selected into Open. You are correct, many of the top teams can beat each other on any given night and home court could provide a big advantage in Norcals. With these losses to SF and BOD, their seeding for D1 will most likely drop.
With the seedings for Open, there are still several games left on the schedule that will be an impact. Mitty has games left at Carondelet and at SJND along with their tough league schedule. Salesian and Pinewood will face off on 1/26, and Salesian also scheduled to play St Mary's Stockton and BOD. Heritage has games left against SJS D2 teams Sac High and Antelope. Miramonte's toughest contest will be against Bishop Gorman of Las Vegas, and are scheduled to play against SHC also.
Most likely 2 of the SJS teams will probably be seeded 6-8 somewhere in the Open and will get road games, probably the D1 and D2 Section champions.

I wouldn't look at the D1 seeding just yet and I do still think they have a chance to still get a #1 D1 seed. You have to keep in mind that unlike other schools being in the WCAL allows you to make up some ground if you fall behind. If they win out and only drop 2 to Mitty or come in 2nd in league and only lose to Pinewood or Mitty in CCS they will get a #1 D1 seed. That win against Cardinal Newman will carry some weight also especially if they win their section. The way it's looking I think the SJS will only get one team in if any at all. None have had good showings. Unless SMS can beat Salesian I don't think any get in. They might be the only contender from SJS and losing big to Heritage and Salesian might be what keeps them at that last slot. Interestingly Joes and MM have played a competitive schedule but you can look at it with a side eye when it comes to throwing them in the open. Neither one of those teams has any signature wins that give them the nod but their record and and winning the division might put them in.

MM , except for its game w/Clet, has certainly stood outside the ongoing round-robin brawl between Mitty, Clet, Pwood, and Salesian. it will perhaps improve their record, but will cost them SOS and clear head-to-head advantages. how the black box weighs this is anyone's guess.

they have played a greater number of solid opponents than usual, but few elite crews. Highlands Ranch and Clet, both losses, as high as they've reached (get ready for 2nd pun). appropriate considering their shortcomings.

Last edited:
MM , except for its game w/Clet, has certainly stood outside the ongoing round-robin brawl between Mitty, Clet, Pwood, and Salesian. it will perhaps improve their record, but will cost them SOS and clear head-to-head advantages. how the black box weighs this is anyone's guess.

they have played a greater number of solid opponents than usual, but few if any elite crews.
Highlands Ranch and Clet, both losses, as high as they've reached (get ready for 2nd pun). appropriate considering their shortcomings.
He seems to have the master plan for scheduling to still win but stay out of the open. I'd like to think either MM or Joes will get that last slot. This year will be the most interesting seeding ever.

The way it's looking I think the SJS will only get one team in if any at all. None have had good showings. Unless SMS can beat Salesian I don't think any get in.

If the SJS only gets one or no teams in the Open, then who are the 3 or 4 CCS teams that will make it? No section can have more than 4 teams. Mitty & Pinewood are locks, but who are the other 2? That loss to BOD should ensure that BOD has a higher seed than SHC.

There's still a long way to go, and injuries could play a big role. If a key player goes down for any of the contenders, it really changes the equation.

Still, barring an upset in CCS, it looks like

CCS: Mitty and Pinewood

NCS: D1 and D3 winner (assuming it's Salesian)

SJS: D1 and D2 winners

plus two. One of those is likely the NCS D2 winner, but if O'Dowd is the champ, will the number of losses keep them in NorCal D1?

I just can't imagine SJS not getting at least two Open bids, deserved or not. And Bear Valley, Antelope and SMS are all legit candidates, as are Miramonte, Heritage, and maybe even St. Joseph Notre Dame and Cardinal Newman (though it would be an injustice if CN got pushed into the Open again).

The advantage of the CCS Open playoffs is that they settle things on the court. In SJS, for example, it's hard to figure out whether the D1 runnerup or D2 runnerup is more deserving of serious consideration.

Lastly, I think Heritage might have opened a lot of people's eyes as well. If they play the way they did against McClatchy, they have a change to winning the D1 NCS this year against Carondelet. Can we all give credit to point guard Jordan Sweeney? She doesn't seem to get a lot of recognition, but Idaho State has signed a true point guard for their future. She dominated McClatchy and played the entire game. She controlled the tempo, handled any pressure, made every right decision, was a 2nd coach on the floor. Whatever shot Heritage wanted to get whether in transition, working the offense, working the shot clock down, inside to Muse, hitting outside 3's. McClatchy had no shot to win this game even if the 2 missing players were there. Very impressive performance.

I think you and I knew Heritage was a good team. I'm sure McClatchy is too. Even good teams can have an off night or two. I've even seen that in the NBA. Funny how some forget to remember these are not professionals. So none are even close to that level IMO. The point you make about Sweeney is one that Clet will need to address should they run into one another in the NCS. CLet was able to contain Jordan the last two seasons. A few things have happened since then. So obviously that will be an area of concern should Heritage and Clet meet. I know the players are certainly all familiar with one another. Clet has new coaches that may not be as familiar. But the staff seems to be making enough of the right adjustments to keep the team succeeding and continuing to improve. So I'm pretty sure they will make the attempt to address the need if and when it is necessary. CLet against Mitty should be up to this point the game of the season. So I think Clet should be locking their thoughts around Haley Jones and not Jordan Sweeney quite yet. Actually Clet has Etiwanda two days before Mitty which after losing to Sacramento, I'm sure Etiwanda will be better prepared for Norcal teams. CLet's tough schedule will have pros and cons on them going into the Mitty game. Not a lot of rest between Etiwanda and Mitty two very tough match ups.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT