ADVERTISEMENT

Alumnae Watch

Boise State beat UNLV 85-59

Abby Muse (Heritage) had two points, three rebounds, two assists and two blocks in getting the start for Boise State

Nia Johnson (West Campus) had 12 points for UNLV. Anna Blount (St. Mary's) had seven points, five rebounds and two blocks in 13 minutes off the bench.

Reactions: GBBall4L
Puget Sound has a pair of NorCal natives in the starting lineup with freshmen Sophie Nilsson (St. Joseph) and Paige Gerhart (San Ramon Valley).

In a 93-92 loss to Whitworth on Saturday, Nilsson had 16 points, three assists and three steals. Gerhart had eight points, four assists and three steals.

Puget Sound has had a long line of East Bay players, going back to All-American Claire Ely (Northgate, now coaching at Carondelet), Kristin Miller (Miramonte), Amanda Forshay (Campolindo) and others.

For the right player, Division III is a wonderful experience, even if the talent level suggests the girl could play D-II or D-1.

Arizona beat Washington 75-53

Aari McDonald (Brooskide Christian) had 20 points and eight assists in the win on Senior Day.

For Washington, Haley Van Dyke (Campolindo) had 12 points, four rebounds, three assists and two steals.

Azusa Pacific is 6-3 with a pair of NorCal players in the starting lineup

Paige Uyehara (St. Francis) is averaging 11 pionts, three rebounds and almost four assists per game.

Kelly Heimburger (Presentation) is at 11 points, seven rebounds and has a team high nine blocks in nine games.

Idaho State improved to 18-2 with a 69-59 win over Montana State.

Delaney Moore (Monte Vista Christian) had four points and three rebounds.

Jordan Sweeney (Heritage) had three points in five minutes off the bench.

UC San Diego beat UC Riverside 74-67

Brianna Claros (Pinewood) had seven points and Layla Ybarra-Harvey (St. Mary's) had eight points off the bench for UCSD.

For Riverside, Jada Holland (Bishop O'Dowd) had 21 points, six rebounds, six assists and three steals.

Stanford beat Arizona 62-48.

Haley Jones (Mitty) had 13 points, eight rebounds, two assists and two steals.

Aari McDonald (Brookside Christian) had 20 points, five rebounds, four assists and three steals

Neither of them played that well, really. Jones had some bad turnovers, and McDonald struggled to shoot, especially from distance.

That said, of course, they're both outstanding players and McDonald will be a top ten pick in the WNBA draft.

Neither of them played that well, really. Jones had some bad turnovers, and McDonald struggled to shoot, especially from distance.

That said, of course, they're both outstanding players and McDonald will be a top ten pick in the WNBA draft.

If jones were to come out, you think she'd be a top 10?

Mikayla Edwards (Salesian) is now at Jacksonville. She started and had nine points and eight rebounds in a loss to Florida Gulf Coast.

She signed with Hawaii out of High School

Haley Jones is an interesting case. She's really a good player but she's 5-11 or so and doesn't shoot threes at all. In fact, she's hesitant to take mid-range jumpers, and from what I've seen, scores primarily on drives to her right.

This profile does not translate well to the WNBA, as she will have a lot more trouble scoring around the rim in the W, and if she doesn't develop a perimeter game, will be too easy to guard.

Lacking a way to score, she would need to remake herself into a point guard to have a lot of value, so she has work to do to make a place for her in the WNBA. She will get drafted, of course, and in the first round, but she really needs to be able to make three-pointers to become a solid starter in the league. (And again, she's a really good basketball player, but the WNBA is a 12-team league (rather than 30 like the NBA) and a lot of outstanding college players struggle to find a home.)

Reactions: Norcal_Fan
Ilmar'I Thomas (Sacred Heart Cathedral) had a school record 51 points to go with 12 rebounds in a win over East Carolina.

Since it was brought up with Haley Jones, what is the pro potential for Thomas?

Haley Jones is an interesting case. She's really a good player but she's 5-11 or so and doesn't shoot threes at all. In fact, she's hesitant to take mid-range jumpers, and from what I've seen, scores primarily on drives to her right.

This profile does not translate well to the WNBA, as she will have a lot more trouble scoring around the rim in the W, and if she doesn't develop a perimeter game, will be too easy to guard.

Lacking a way to score, she would need to remake herself into a point guard to have a lot of value, so she has work to do to make a place for her in the WNBA. She will get drafted, of course, and in the first round, but she really needs to be able to make three-pointers to become a solid starter in the league. (And again, she's a really good basketball player, but the WNBA is a 12-team league (rather than 30 like the NBA) and a lot of outstanding college players struggle to find a home.)
great scouting. i wondered about her size and not a clear post or perimeter game.

I would be surprised if she were 6-1 -- but 6-0 seems reasonable. Regardless, at the WNBA level, that's a small forward. (Even some point guards are 6-0.)

Zakiya Mahoney (Bishop O'Dowd) had 20 points (3-for-14 shooting from the field and 12-for-13 from the line) with 7 rebounds in Mississippi Valley State's win over Prairie View A&M.

I've stood next to Haley Jones before. She is definitely taller than 5'11 lol. What she does may not look flashy but she's a great basketball player with great instinct. I wouldn't count her out.

Reactions: TheHillZ
Haley is a wonderful player, no doubt. She's a big part of Stanford's success this year.

UC Davis beat Cal Poly 63-47 on Friday

For Cal Poly, KIrsty Brown (Amador Valley) had 12 points and 13 rebounds.

For Davis, Bria Shine (Christian Brothers) had three rebounds in six minutes off the bench

Pacific beat St. Mary's 73-54 on Saturday

For Pacific, Lianna Tillman (Lincoln) had 12 points and three assists. Kaylin Randhawa (Pitman) had 14 points and five rebounds off the bench. Erica Adams (California) started and scored two points in 26 minutes.

For St. Mary's, Madeline Holland (Mitty) had seven points, three rebounds and two assists.

Ilmar'I Thomas (Sacred Heart Cathedral) had a school record 51 points to go with 12 rebounds in a win over East Carolina.

Since it was brought up with Haley Jones, what is the pro potential for Thomas?

I'm not really sure if I'Imari Thomas matches the criteria for pro "On Paper" but she seems to always figure it out on the court. The girl can flat out play.

Doris Jones (KIPP King/Diablo Valley College) had 35 points and 10 rebounds in UC Santa Barbara's 83-76 win over UC Riverside.

Pac-12 Honors

Player of Year/Co-Defensive Player of the Year: Aari McDonald (Brookside Christian) Fresno State

All Pac-12

Haley Jones (Mitty) Stanford
Aari McDonald Arizona

Honorable Mention

Haley Van Dyke (Campolindo) Washington

All-Freshman Honorable Mention

Amaya Oliver (St. Mary's) USC

Azusa Pacific won the Pac West Southern California pod championsihp with a pair of wins over Point Loma. Kelly Heimburger (Presentation) had 22 points and Paige Uyehara (St. Francis) had 19 points in the clinching game last week.

WCC Honors

Second Team

Myah Pace San Diego (Bishop O'Dowd)
Ariel Johnson Loyola Marymount (St. Mary's Stockton)

Honorable Mention

Madeline Holland St. Mary's (Mitty)
Lianna Tillman Pacific (Lincoln-Stockton)

All-Freshman

Erica Adams Pacific (California)
Ashley Hiraki Santa Clara (Mitty)

Idaho State beat Eastern Washington 86-51

Delaney Moore (Monte Vista Christian) had 18 points and six rebounds for Idaho State.

Erin Tarasow (Miramonte 19; Seattle): As a freshman, listed at 5-9 (in her dreams), 14 games, 6.1 mpg, 1.6 ppg, 1.2 rpg, 28% from three.

Hailey Vice-Neat (Cardinal Newman (17?); Seattle): Redshirt junior, 6-3 (I believe that), 21 games, 7 starts, 3.8 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 21 blocks.

Clair Steele (Miramonte 18; Lehigh): Sophomore, 5-5 (close), 13 games, 13 starts, 7.0 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 55/30 A/TO, 39.1% from three, 20 steals. So happy for Clair -- a lot of people looked past her because of the eye test, and I confess I didn't think she'd be the starting point guard as a sophomore, but she just continues to excel. Lehigh was 8-5, by the way.

Stanford beat UCLA 75-55 in the Pac-12 championship game.

Haley Jones (Mitty) had 10 points, 13 rebounds and three steals.

Avery Cargill (Cardinal Newman) is averaging eight points and three rebounds in 28 minutes per game off the bench for Hawaii Pacific.

Hawaii Pacific has won 38 games dating back to last season

UC Irvine beat UC Santa Barbara 92-90 in the Big West Quarterfinals

Dani Guglielmo (Mitty) had 10 points, three assists and two blocks for UCI

Doris Jones (KIPP King/Diablo Valley Collge) had 15 points, six rebounds and five assists for UCSB

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT