ADVERTISEMENT

CCS public school rankings

colhenrylives

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2009
Dec. 8:

It's back. And we know you've been counting the days. Yes, it's a preview version of the 2018-19 CCS public school rankings, an exercise designed to highlight promising non-private/parochial units that toil in the very large Open Division shadow of the likes of Pinewood, Mitty, SI, SHC, St. Francis, SHP, Presentation, Eastside Prep, etc. who tend to suck the air out of any CCS girls' hoops conversation. At this point, we're going to toss out a few CCS public schools which appear to be on the rise. The preliminary list is not definitive (or yet in any order _ but Wilcox does seem formidable early). Here goes:

Wilcox
Aptos
Live Oak
Leland
North Salinas
Palo Alto
Aragon
Sequoia
Soquel
Los Altos
Scotts Valley
Menlo-Atherton

Last edited:
Thanks for putting this list together. There’s a Sac-Joaquin public school team who I think is really good, Colfax. They start four sophomores and one junior at a school of under 600 kids and may match up with Sequoia in the Jamboree. Any thoughts on Sequoia’s program? Just curios because i May attend the tourney.

This list is for CCS only. It's provided as a minor antidote to the overwhelming and stifling presence of the WBAL and WCAL which tend to obscure reasonably competitive public school female outfits. No other NorCal section has private/parochial leagues like those two behemoths. In the entire history of CCS, only one public school girls' team has won a state championship; the other 30 or so have been captured by you-know-who.

I hear you. I was just interested in Sequoia since might be playing them

This list is for CCS only. It's provided as a minor antidote to the overwhelming and stifling presence of the WBAL and WCAL which tend to obscure reasonably competitive public school female outfits. No other NorCal section has private/parochial leagues like those two behemoths. In the entire history of CCS, only one public school girls' team has won a state championship; the other 30 or so have been captured by you-know-who.

is there any sport that the WCAL girls teams arent great in? It seems as though EVERY year some team from that league is nationally ranked

Dec. 9:

1. Wilcox, 5-0
2. Aptos, 4-1
3. Los Altos, 5-0
4. Aragon, 4-2 (5-1 on the court)
5. Leland, 6-2
6. Soquel, 4-2
7. Palo Alto, 2-2
8. Independence, 4-2
9. North Salinas, 3-0
10. Sequoia, 4-2

Please feel free to submit further input. This is not written in stone. Or even mulch.

Last edited:
Here are some early comparisons between the CCS publics and the members of the WCAL and WBAL (both equity divisions):

WCAL is 6-0 vs. CCS publics.
WBAL upper division is 11-5, with ND-San Jose at 2-3 (best public wins are Aragon over SHP and Aptos over Woodside Priory)
WBAL lower division is 2-11.

Not sure who Wilcox has beat. I think Aptos with SS will be highest ranked, When all is said and done will have played Mitty, St Francis, Presentation, SI, Woodside Priory and Edison.

Big win for Soquel over Sequoia this weekend too.

Not sure who Wilcox has beat. I think Aptos with SS will be highest ranked, When all is said and done will have played Mitty, St Francis, Presentation, SI, Woodside Priory and Edison.

Big win for Soquel over Sequoia this weekend too.

You may be correct about Aptos. One more W vs. the privates would be helpful.

Apparently Aragon thought a player was eligible when she really wasn't. Once they found out her actual status, they had to forfeit.

That's a tough one ...

care to share a different story?

personally, I'll wait til letsski comments
That is pretty accurate. The player attends middle college and they are on a different grading schedule, Her grades weren't forwarded nor posted in time so she was technically ineligible for the first game.

Reactions: OnBall8
Four results this week that could have a bearing on the rankings: Aptos over Edison of Stockton, Presentation over Aragon, Carlmont over Notre Dame-Belmont and Menlo School over SSF.

mills lost to Sequoia and St Francis by almost exact scores... too bad SF and Seq. didnt get to play

mills lost to Sequoia and St Francis by almost exact scores... too bad SF and Seq. didnt get to play
I agree with Colhenry. SFHS would have had their way with Sequoia. SFHS beat Aragon by 24 last night. I don't think Sequoia would have fared much better.

fair enough.. you guys know the public schools better than myself. I guess SF's only out of league test will be Pinewood. Disappointing scheduling for a team that has a chance to batter for 2nd in the WCAL

fair enough.. you guys know the public schools better than myself. I guess SF's only out of league test will be Pinewood. Disappointing scheduling for a team that has a chance to batter for 2nd in the WCAL
I believe they play Priory this Saturday, although younger Augmon is still not eligible, so I would be surprised to see Priory come close. They will play Leland and possibly Aptos. I think we aren't giving SFHS enough credit. I saw them play against Mills and they have a pretty athletic, deep team this year. Probably the best one they've had in a while. However, they will go only as far as Paige Uyehara and Mia Grizelj can take them.

Reactions: OnBall8
I believe they play Priory this Saturday, although younger Augmon is still not eligible, so I would be surprised to see Priory come close. They will play Leland and possibly Aptos. I think we aren't giving SFHS enough credit. I saw them play against Mills and they have a pretty athletic, deep team this year. Probably the best one they've had in a while. However, they will go only as far as Paige Uyehara and Mia Grizelj can take them.
Saint francis is legit. I didn't know Augmon transferred. Silver creek sisters split up?

There's good PAL teams that will make noise in the playoffs. I wouldn't just look at records look at the body of work and see who's playing who.

Paly, Aptos and N Salinas they go out and play good teams year in year out

Others? not so much

teams like Aragon, MA, Sequoia, Mills, Carlmont I love how they represent our league

SSF (young) and TN (Young) schedules has been tough and it will help down the stretch

HMB & Capuchino might surprise people

Westmoor when transfer clear we be much improved

what more can I say I love the PAL

Coach Summerville

There's good PAL teams that will make noise in the playoffs. I wouldn't just look at records look at the body of work and see who's playing who.

Paly, Aptos and N Salinas they go out and play good teams year in year out

Others? not so much

teams like Aragon, MA, Sequoia, Mills, Carlmont I love how they represent our league

SSF (young) and TN (Young) schedules has been tough and it will help down the stretch

HMB & Capuchino might surprise people

Westmoor when transfer clear we be much improved

what more can I say I love the PAL

Coach Summerville

Will there be a PAL team in the CCS Open Division in 2019?

Maybe a public school CCS Open Division watch should be implemented. Right now, there may be a couple: Aptos and Los Altos come to mind immediately. Aptos in particular. Any others?

As of now no PAL team will be consider for the Open this year most team graduated there top players from last season..

Aptos might be the only public school team that will be considered at this point of the season based on head to head and opponents played ( CCS Open )

As of now no PAL team will be consider for the Open this year most team graduated there top players from last season..

Aptos might be the only public school team that will be considered at this point of the season based on head to head and opponents played ( CCS Open )

Thanks for the input. It is much appreciated. Keep up the good work in Pacifica.

Aptos lost to St. Ignatius by 21, plays Mitty tonight and Presentation next Friday. I would think a win over Presentation would be a necessity, and probably a good showing against Mitty.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT