3. South San Francisco, 15-3

4. Gunderson, 15-2

5. Carlmont, 16-3

6. Aragon, 15-4

7. Saratoga, 14-4

8. Seaside, 14-3

9. Palo Alto, 12-5

10. Evergreen Valley, 14-4

One more side note re Mitty's 2017-18 No.1 national status: The program's three teams (varsity, JV and frosh-soph) are a combined 47-0 currently. Perhaps the WCAL this year is, in fact, a power league after all. It's Mitty and everyone else at every level.

Reactions: WOW Freddy
closest publics in recent memory from CCS to reach a state title shot.
1994 Monta Vista made a norcal final
1999 Homestead made a norcal final.
1990, 2013 Lynbrook made a norcal final
1992 Westmont norcal final

Updated CCS public school girls' rankings as of Jan. 28:

1. Menlo-Atherton, 13-6

2. Aptos, 17-3

3. South San Francisco, 15-3

4. Gunderson, 15-2

5. Carlmont, 16-3

6. Aragon, 15-4

7. Saratoga, 14-4

8. Seaside, 14-3

9. Palo Alto, 12-5

10. Evergreen Valley, 14-4

I would say switch Aragon and Gunderson

One more side note re Mitty's 2017-18 No.1 national status: The program's three teams (varsity, JV and frosh-soph) are a combined 47-0 currently. Perhaps the WCAL this year is, in fact, a power league after all. It's Mitty and everyone else at every level.

No joke, I believe the AM JV teams of the last 2 years (undefeated last year) and the SHC JV teams of a few years ago (couple undefeated seasons in a row) could challenge for ccs division title in the open era... I haven't caught as many WCAL JV games this year, but in years past, the battles of the top programs were every bit as much fun to watch as any public school varsity game. Just my .02 cents

Here are revised (subjective, of course) CCS public school hoops rankings as of Feb. 4:

1. Menlo-Atherton, 15-6.
2. Aptos, 20-3.
3. South SF, 17-3.
4. Aragon, 17-4.
5. Carlmont, 17-4.
6. Saratoga, 17-4.
7. Gunderson, 17-3.
8. Seaside, 17-3.
9. North Salinas, 14-7.
10. Palo Alto, 14-5.

Hey Colhenry now that MA went down, where does Sequoia fit in that public school top ten. GO CHEROKEE!'n

The victory by Sequoia over Menlo Atherton on Wednesday night stopped a 42 game league winning streak. The Bears are 44-2 in PAL South league play the last 4 years.

SHC has played the fourth toughest schedule in the state, according to MaxPreps, so I think that's way above "solid."

Presentation's MaxPreps strength of schedule is 15.7, fifth best in the state in Division II. Obviously not the 23.2 of SHC, but that fits my definition of "solid." (Clovis West is at 13.9, Cardinal Newman at 15.2.)

Look at it another way ...

Here are the quality teams (in my estimation) Presentation has beaten:

SPSV 46-35, Aptos 61-38, South San Francisco 58-39, Del Oro 52-41, Eureka 62-26, Brookside Christian 54-48, Newark 65-43

Here are the quality teams SHC has beaten:

Sacramento 66-65

So this raises an interesting question -- does losing close to high-level opponents (though five of those losses were by 10 or more points) mean a team is better is than another team that plays a good but not great schedule and never loses?

In this case, we'll find out Jan. 31 when they play, but oftentimes teams like this don't play. Would you opt for the team that wins against decent opposition or the team that occasionally plays better opposition close?

Looks like a similar point I was makin about the top 25 rankings but you didn’t seem to agree when I made these points lol

The victory by Sequoia over Menlo Atherton on Wednesday night stopped a 42 game league winning streak. The Bears are 44-2 in PAL South league play the last 4 years.
Hey Colhenry now that MA went down, where does Sequoia fit in that public school top ten. GO CHEROKEE!'n

Sequoia faces Carlmont Friday night. Another upset W would be huge. Gunderson also lost earlier in the week.

It's one thing to play good teams; it's another to beat them. Yes, SHC has played a tougher schedule than Presentation (26 to 20 according to the computer), but that same computer has Presentation ranked much higher due to games won.

Again, what's SHC's best win? They have not beaten a team that's ranked right now, and though that's a good team I would not want to face in postseason, rankings generally are based on the body of work as opposed to how rankers feel about a team. A feeling about how good a team is right now is generally not enough to get a team placed ahead of a team with a better body of work.

So, with the MA loss to Sequoia and the VC loss to Pres, that might begin to clear up the CCS Open teams debate. Here's what I think will happen, no particular order...

CCS OPEN DIVISION
Mitty
SHCP
SI
St. Francis
Presentation
Pinewood
ESCP
Aptos?

Thoughts...

Another thought, if St Francis loses their next 3 to Pres, AM, and SI (all who they have already lost to) and finish 2-8 in the WCAL, do they still make the open?

So, with the MA loss to Sequoia and the VC loss to Pres, that might begin to clear up the CCS Open teams debate. Here's what I think will happen, no particular order...

CCS OPEN DIVISION
Mitty
SHCP
SI
St. Francis
Presentation
Pinewood
ESCP
Aptos?

Thoughts...
The PAL runs a post regular season tournament. M-A will still have a chance to possibly play SSF, Aragon, Carlmont or Half Moon Bay. If they win the tournament I would think they would still be a contender for the Open.

CCS OPEN DIVISION
Mitty
SHCP
SI
St. Francis
Presentation
Pinewood
ESCP
Aptos?

Thoughts...

Does Aptos have a true quality win?

The PAL runs a post regular season tournament. M-A will still have a chance to possibly play SSF, Aragon, Carlmont or Half Moon Bay. If they win the tournament I would think they would still be a contender for the Open.

Sounds reasonable. Some public school probably will be chosen as a private/parochial designated victim to fill out the Open bracket _ one of the points of this public school thread. At this point, maybe Sequoia ought to be in the PAL tourney discussion. The Cherokees, more than likely, will face SSF in the opener next Thursday. That should be interesting. Contrasting styles for sure. Highly doubtful that SSF will score 80 in that one.

Be careful what you wish for. Sequoia is a dangerous team right now. Just ask MA. At times the Cherokee play 3 freshmen, all 3 have contributed to a surprising season for Sequoia. As one observer so eloquently put it the Tribe is system and structure. The match up zone is a grind to play against. They focus on your main scorers and shut them down. They are a factor going forward!!!

Be careful what you wish for. Sequoia is a dangerous team right now. Just ask MA. At times the Cherokee play 3 freshmen, all 3 have contributed to a surprising season for Sequoia. As one observer so eloquently put it the Tribe is system and structure. The match up zone is a grind to play against. They focus on your main scorers and shut them down. They are a factor going forward!!!

...and they most certainly will be a factor next season if all of the key people return for further duty in a system that is the precise opposite of any sort of freelance, loosey-goosey, let's-just-have-fun-and-scrimmage situation...yes, system and structure are the keys...

Sequoia 36, Carlmont 31. Final. And it was not an upset. Sequoia is a different team than the one we saw during the pre-season and early PAL campaign. The Cherokees, with their halfcourt style and tough defense/rebounding focus should now finish third in the PAL South with the league tournament awaiting next week.

The Cherokee held Carlmont to 2 points in the 3rd quarter and 10 total for the second half . The match up zone was played to perfection. Carlmont scored 69 points on Wednesday and got 31 tonite. Sequoia is a bigger factor than expected.

It certainly helps to have a pair of 6-1 posts available since early January. Those two are finally integrated into the scheme of things and the recent results have been eye-popping.

Last edited:
CCS Public Schools Ratings Update as of Feb. 11:

OK, what now? It was a rough week for several of the top CCS public schools. And it was a break-through week for Sequoia.
The gritty Cherokees, forcing a halfcourt style as is their preferred habit, defeated Menlo-Atherton (ending a 42-game league winning streak for the Bears) and Carlmont, both members of the competitive PAL-South (arguably the toughest public school circuit in CCS). Losses also were experienced by South San Francisco (to Lincoln-SF) and Gunderson (to Silver Creek). As a result of all this, Aptos will be moved to No.1 in the latest (subjective, non-scientific) CCS public school ratings and there will be more shuffling as the strengths and weaknesses of teams (and leagues) become clear. Menlo-Atherton still has the best strength-of-schedule but Aptos, to its credit, has two early wins over Palo Alto, along with a victory over Seaside, plus close losses to St. Francis-MV and Dublin. The revised and debatable rankings follow. Here goes:

1. Aptos, 21-3
2. Menlo-Atherton, 16-7
3. South S.F., 20-4
4. Aragon, 19-4
5. Palo Alto, 16-5
6. Sequoia, 17-6
7. Carlmont, 18-5
8. Seaside, 19-3
9. Saratoga, 18-5
10. Gunderson, 18-4

Last edited:
Now the question becomes: Will any public school be chosen for the CCS Open Division bracket next weekend? It would seem entirely possible to have an all-private/parochial Open setup when the CCS seedings are announced.

I don't see a public school team fitting in that open bracket. If we are talking about competitive balance, then put all the privates/parochials in the open bracket. It will make for better tournaments in all divisions. Just my opinion.

I don't see a public school team fitting in that open bracket. If we are talking about competitive balance, then put all the privates/parochials in the open bracket. It will make for better tournaments in all divisions. Just my opinion.

Your opinion makes pretty good sense at this point in 2017-18. An all-private/parochial Open bracket might not be politically correct (sorry, all teams and programs are not created equal) but it certainly merits strong consideration.

If we know that the following 7 are in who would be the 8th spot.
1. Mitty
2. Pinewood
3. SHCP
4. Eastside Prep
5. Presentation
6. SI
7. Either SF or VC

Menlo lost to MA. Woodside Priory to SSF. Who is left from privates that has the resume?

Will Valley Christian qualify? They won't be .500 in league, and they're two games below .500 overall with Mitty one of their two remaining games.

St. Francis, though, has a win over Aptos and will have a good enough overall record.

They went 500 in non league so yes they qualify but probably cannot make open as they only allow 3 from one division and Mitty Pres and SF look like the 3 from D2.

VC qualifies and they will go D2 CCS and win pretty easy. They are a way better than average team. Look at their schedule non league!! They beat Fairfax and Oakridge
Lost to Clovis West, Clovis North, Pinewood, Cardinal Newman, St. Joe's, Miramonte and 8 WCAL games.
They blew out every public school they played.

Maybe overscheduled in preseason? They just qualified for postseason with 8-6 preseason record.
Losing the tough games in preseason didn't help them win games in WCAL.
BUT
They are battle tested though and will be a tough out come playoff time.

Aragon will give Valley Christian all they won't . Let's not crown VC the D2 CCS Champion just yet. The PAL South was a pretty good league this year.

Your way off line!! VC is just a below to average WCAL Team. I don't see them beating Aragon by 25. Remember Aragon gave Presenystion a game, VC is not as good as Prez!!!

OnBall8, why did Pres lose to VC first time by 20 and beat them 2nd time by 20?
ha.. i wish I had all the answers..

I was not there btw... but a lot of factors probably went into it, more than just simply the home vs away factor. Valley's 3 biggest scorers (dexheimer, starks, and willis) each had 15+ the first time they played. The second time dexheimer had 21, but starks and willis had 9 points combined. That, combined with the fact that valley shot only 9 ft's the second time compared to 21 the first time, suggests that Pres may have changed defenses, or executed a specific game plan different than the first game. Maybe Willis was in foul trouble, she only took 6 shots, or maybe it was the defense... not sure. Maybe Pres' confidence was lacking the first time, they were coming off getting smoked by AM for their first loss of the season. And by the second time they played, they had a few league wins under their belt (against teams that had beaten valley), so maybe they went into the game confident they could hang, and then some.

again, this is all speculation from looking at the box score, of which only valley's stats are available. But I know that wade would be one that would make adjustments and do something different.. not as confident in mcswain making adjustments from what I have seen

Or no Ava Williams 1st game and there the 2nd. Also not there vs Aragon. I think she is behind only Mitty’s big 3 in WCAL.

To answer your question about Pres vs VC and the difference... it is whether or not Ava Williams is there. She makes a huge difference for that Pres team.

Having seen Aragon and Valley Christian play this year I'll put in my two cents. Aragon has an amazing cast of returners from last year Semi Final team, with an amazing Soph PG and solid big players that can push other teams around.

Valley Christian, despite struggling in the WCAL, would still beat this team by 20.

Reactions: alwayslearning
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT