ADVERTISEMENT

DLS-Riordan postponed, not cancelled (per CIF)

IMHO CIF needs to cancel the remaining games. What's the use of continuing to run a tournament with 50% of the teams dropping out? It would take the onus off the school districts making the impossible choice of whether to play / host a game or not. Even if they continue there will be a HUGE * next to the winners so I think it's a lose - lose proposition in continuing onward.

80% of the teams are already eliminated, and there are only 2 games left. It sucks that circumstances beyond the basketball teams’ control prevented them from advancing (really sucks), but the teams still in have also sacrificed years for this and won a lot of huge games to get to this point. There may be asterisks assigned, but I bet there’d still be wild celebrations on the court that those kids will never forget. I hope they don’t screw this up for every team just because of the circumstances of a few.

Last edited:
Reactions: Byersk
IMHO CIF needs to cancel the remaining games. What's the use of continuing to run a tournament with 50% of the teams dropping out? It would take the onus off the school districts making the impossible choice of whether to play / host a game or not. Even if they continue there will be a HUGE * next to the winners so I think it's a lose - lose proposition in continuing onward.

As long as it is safe. why should kids who are not affected be punished? First and foremost, this about kids playing basketball, not about titles with or without *, or whatever. Let them play if their school is in session.

Just heard on 95.7 the game. Riordan Coach Joey Curtain has texted the Chronicle and their season is over. There will be no game played tonight.

Lincoln has also ended their season due to Coronavirus and Brookside Christian will advance to the State finals.

Just so sad
Even more sad if a elderly member of one of the players got the virus. Especially after the virus was spread from a player on the team or student. Somethings are more precious than a game. And I am the ultimate ball player I was ball is life before the internet made that hip.
The legal ramifications that this bears is far too much to risk. Kids will get over it. I lost my last high school game and never thought I'd get over it. I did. They will too. Even the warriors came back after blowing a 3-1 lead. This too shall pass. Hey how about this. Gather the fellas and go to the local blacktop and finish the season there.

As long as it is safe. why should kids who are not affected be punished? First and foremost, this about kids playing basketball, not about titles with or without *, or whatever. Let them play if their school is in session.
Because you just dont know if they are safe.

Because you just dont know if they are safe.

Sure but if the school is in session, I presume that officials have made an informed decision that it is safe. If the school is closed, IMHO the team should not play. If it is open, they should be allowed. Or course, families have always the option to not send their kids to school or games.

Sure but if the school is in session, I presume that officials have made an informed decision that it is safe. If the school is closed, IMHO the team should not play. If it is open, they should be allowed. Or course, families have always the option to not send their kids to school or games.
In Riordan's case, they closed the school for today, and possibly longer now that a student tested positive.

Ok a student tested positive. Why can't they test the team make sure no one is infected and play the game at De La tomorrow....or in some empty gym where it is broadcast on youtube so we all know the outcomes?

Reactions: cherylbaustin
Ok a student tested positive. Why can't they test the team make sure no one is infected and play the game at De La tomorrow....or in some empty gym where it is broadcast on youtube so we all know the outcomes?
Go ask your local congressman

Or the mayor

Basketball is important but I think the school has their hands full in responding to the overall situation and making sure ALL students are safe.

Basketball is important but I think the school has their hands full in responding to the overall situation and making sure ALL students are safe.

Of course the safety of the students is paramount. But if one has it, don't you think their going to test the entire school anyway? Why not let the basketball team be first!

Where did you see this???

No gatherings allowed of 50 people or more for the next 2 weeks per mayor. Only way it's played is if they move to gym outside the city or play in a gym with no fans.

Parents from the team posting on twitter/ig: SAVE LINCOLNS SEASON.

Ayalar, the Mayor's pronouncement does not affect public schools. The public schools of San Francisco are NOT governed by the Mayor or Board of Supervisors. The Mayor has NO say so over the schools.

Last edited:
As of now, it looks like just Riordan’s season is done. Lincoln-SF is in wait and see

No gatherings allowed of 50 people or more for the next 2 weeks per mayor. Only way it's played is if they move to gym outside the city or play in a gym with no fans.

Parents from the team posting on twitter/ig: SAVE LINCOLNS SEASON.

Can you provide a link? I'm not finding that feed..

I just got word from the CIF referee assignor that there's not been any notification that Brookside Christian-Lincoln has been cancelled.

Reactions: TurtleLoveCA
KEZAR PAVILION IS NOT AFFECTED BY CITY ORDER OF HEALTH OFFICER

City and County of San Francisco
Department of Public Health
Order of the Health Officer

https://www.sfdph.org/dph/alerts/fi...City-OwnedLocations-Order-C19-02-03072020.pdf

4. For purposes of this Order, the term “City-Owned Facility” means only the following buildings that are owned by the City:
a. City Hall (1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place, San Francisco 94102);
b. Moscone Center (747 Howard St, San Francisco, CA 94103) and all associated buildings;
c. Bill Graham Civic Auditorium (99 Grove Street, San Francisco 94102); d. New Conservatory Theatre (25 Van Ness Avenue, Basement suite, San Francisco 94102);
e. War Memorial & Performing Arts Center (Davies Hall, Opera House, and Veterans Building; 201 - 401 Van Ness Avenue, San Francisco 94102);
f. The Palace of Fine Arts Theatre (3601 Lyon St, San Francisco, CA 94123) (only the main theatre at this time);
g. The San Francisco Public Library (100 Larkin St, San Francisco, CA 94102); h. Pier 27 (The Embarcadero, San Francisco, CA); and

I wasn’t given an opinion, I was just reiterating facts about the City? Class system opinion? That’s one of the dumbest things I’ve read on here and the bar is pretty low congrats.
bella123 I love your profile photo, do you really look like that or are you an unfortunate WOMAN trapped in a mans body?

Just Sayin

Ayalar, the Mayor's pronouncement does not affect public schools. The public schools of San Francisco are NOT governed by the Mayor or Board of Supervisors. The Mayor has NO say so over the schools.
Turtle I guess we would have to truly understand what this statement fully covers.

Also, under this order, public events at city-owned venues may resume come March 20th — but that date is malleable; an extension to the said order is likely. Starting tomorrow, SFDPH will post an aggregation of confirmed cases and updates on them, a list that'll be refreshed daily.

Is a high school gym classified as a venue, and it is indeed owned by the city. Hard one to call in my book.

KEZAR PAVILION IS NOT AFFECTED BY CITY ORDER OF HEALTH OFFICER

City and County of San Francisco
Department of Public Health
Order of the Health Officer

https://www.sfdph.org/dph/alerts/fi...City-OwnedLocations-Order-C19-02-03072020.pdf

4. For purposes of this Order, the term “City-Owned Facility” means only the following buildings that are owned by the City:
a. City Hall (1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place, San Francisco 94102);
b. Moscone Center (747 Howard St, San Francisco, CA 94103) and all associated buildings;
c. Bill Graham Civic Auditorium (99 Grove Street, San Francisco 94102); d. New Conservatory Theatre (25 Van Ness Avenue, Basement suite, San Francisco 94102);
e. War Memorial & Performing Arts Center (Davies Hall, Opera House, and Veterans Building; 201 - 401 Van Ness Avenue, San Francisco 94102);
f. The Palace of Fine Arts Theatre (3601 Lyon St, San Francisco, CA 94123) (only the main theatre at this time);
g. The San Francisco Public Library (100 Larkin St, San Francisco, CA 94102); h. Pier 27 (The Embarcadero, San Francisco, CA); and
Turtle thanks for posting this and the link. I actually read the whole thing. Shoots down my comment above.

The San Francisco Unified School District owns the schools, not the City and County of San Francisco;

Thank you for your correction.

Current test kits take about 2 weeks for results. And there is a shortage. I know cause i'm working on a Coronavirus test kit development project. My team has been working 24/7 for the past week to get validation results to the FDA. Test labs also have to ramp up to be able to test the samples. There are only so many instruments and resources once the samples get to a test lab.

Reactions: TurtleLoveCA
Current test kits take about 2 weeks for results. And there is a shortage. I know cause i'm working on a Coronavirus test kit development project. My team has been working 24/7 for the past week to get validation results to the FDA. Test labs also have to ramp up to be able to test the samples. There are only so many instruments and resources once the samples get to a test lab.
I appreciate your post but that is confusing to this situation for Riordan then. Family was reportedly tested on Friday. Game canceled on Saturday, results came back Sunday evening.

I cant comment on that specific case because I dont know the details...what test kit was used, which lab did the testing, for a SARS kit or a true covid19 kit. But I would assume they receive a presumptive positive result. The process is for those test results to be reviewed by the CDC to be considered a confirmed case. I highly doubt that has been done in such a short amount of time.

Reactions: Renard Monroe
I cant comment on that specific case because I dont know the details...what test kit was used, which lab did the testing, for a SARS kit or a true covid19 kit. But I would assume they receive a presumptive positive result. The process is for those test results to be reviewed by the CDC to be considered a confirmed case. I highly doubt that has been done in such a short amount of time.
Riordan is a boarding school, where will those kids be now since school is shut down?

Good question. Quarantined in their dorms? Do they get tested?

Imagine coming from Africa to America, no family, new friends, trying to learn the language and the vernacular that the youngsters use. Then when you finally get up to speed on all of that and on top of the hoops, your year gets ended because of a pandemic.

Now where do you live?

Dam.....

Imagine coming from Africa to America, no family, new friends, trying to learn the language and the vernacular that the youngsters use. Then when you finally get up to speed on all of that and on top of the hoops, your year gets ended because of a pandemic.

Now where do you live?

Dam.....
This kind of happened already.

If the games can't be played due to exposure. De la Salle was at Riordan Saturday afternoon warming up. Why hasn't any other faculty or students been mandated for testing.
It's more of the potential exposure. Liability would be crazy. The school and church can't risk that.

It's more of the potential exposure. Liability would be crazy. The school and church can't risk that.
I get that but you can't say one had potential exposure and the other didn't. I have two cousins at De La Salle. One actually attended the game vs Vanden. Its disappointing the season ended the way it did but to say one team can play and another cant is absurd.

Reactions: ARHS92
I get that but you can't say one had potential exposure and the other didn't. I have two cousins at De La Salle. One actually attended the game vs Vanden. Its disappointing the season ended the way it did but to say one team can play and another cant is absurd.
I guess it would cautious to exclude them too since they were in a possible affected area. I feel you.

I think that's the problem in the US with this epidemic. Seems like the Gov't is letting the cities, counties and states put band aid precautions as virus confirmations arise. No real harmonized protocol or plan. Just wing it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT