ADVERTISEMENT

DLS-Riordan postponed, not cancelled (per CIF)

I think that's the problem in the US with this epidemic. Seems like the Gov't is letting the cities, counties and states put band aid precautions as virus confirmations arise. No real harmonized protocol or plan. Just wing it.
Campolindo just posted the game vs De la Salle is at 7pm and game tickets are almost sold out, I guess no one in that population is afraid of this menacing virus. I am glad Riordan canceled the game on Saturday, I was super happy the game had been moved to De la Salle, reason being I thought they were handling it with the attention it deserved. Proper steps were taken until today. If any games are played then Riordan should be playing as well. Just my opinion.

In other parts of the world, Italian rime Minister now has WHOLE COUNTRY on lockdown. On February 27th, Italy had 600 people infected with coronavirus. Today, it has 10,000 cases. That was *11 DAYS AGO.* Guess how many the US has right now: 600. All professional sports have been suspended in Italy.

This virus doesnt care what nationality you are, what sports you play, it especially can be fatal for people older than 60.

Campolindo just posted the game vs De la Salle is at 7pm and game tickets are almost sold out, I guess no one in that population is afraid of this menacing virus. I am glad Riordan canceled the game on Saturday, I was super happy the game had been moved to De la Salle, reason being I thought they were handling it with the attention it deserved. Proper steps were taken until today. If any games are played then Riordan should be playing as well. Just my opinion.
Damn they sold out that fast!

Reactions: Renard Monroe

Contra Costa County has at least 5 confirmed cases. Not sure why DLS is playing this off.

I get that but you can't say one had potential exposure and the other didn't. I have two cousins at De La Salle. One actually attended the game vs Vanden. Its disappointing the season ended the way it did but to say one team can play and another cant is absurd.

Funny how you keep saying this. You do realize Riordan is the one who cancelled school and all school activities? Not DLS. That's why one team is playing and one team is not.

What if Riordan team showed up to the game. Wonder if they would be let in.
Lol...here is fun fact for you. My last high school game was played against De La Salle at the Oakland Coliseum. We were 26-0 heading into that Norcal semifinal game. We lost to De La Salle. Kevin Groves for De la Salle shot 30 free throws, we lost by 6 points. One player shot 3p freethrow! I guess we didn't adjust to the way the game was being called. All I will say is ...when I see my old teammates from Mcclymonds high this usually comes up, our last high school game. When I see people that I attended school with or just alumni in the community our last game becomes at topic. This occurred in 1993. Now my son in 2020 scheduled last game was De la Salle and no matter what anyone says, he will remember this forever and so will everyone else. This situation sucks but only for Riordan. De la Salle and Campo get to play.

Funny how you keep saying this. You do realize Riordan is the one who cancelled school and all school activities? Not DLS. That's why one team is playing and one team is not.
Your missing the point. It's not funny at all. I guess De la Salle isn't taking the coronavirus seriously then. They warmed up at Riordan on Saturday. Arrived two hours before game time, video Is out there.

Reactions: ARHS92
It's a mute point anyway. De la Salle plays Campolindo tomorrow. Riordan beat Campolindo in the Gridley tournament by double digits. That's Riordan's consolation prize. Great Season Riordan. We were defeated by the Coronavirus.

Your missing the point. It's not funny at all. I guess De la Salle isn't taking the coronavirus seriously then. They warmed up at Riordan on Saturday. Arrived two hours before game time, video Is out there.

I fail to see a point. You're saying that all schools and school districts that aren't cancelling school and forfeiting games are not taking coronavirus seriously? So, you're saying Riordan is making the correct decision then, right?

I fail to see a point. You're saying that all schools and school districts that aren't cancelling school and forfeiting games are not taking coronavirus seriously? So, you're saying Riordan is making the correct decision then, right?
I clearly stated I understood why the game was canceled on Saturday, I understand rescheduling the game and even moving the game. I don't agree with forfeiting the game if other teams are playing. If it is bad for Riordan to play, Lincoln to play etc. .but other teams play. Let's be honest, if one person has been exposed to this virus there is more. You don't agree?

I clearly stated I understood why the game was canceled on Saturday, I understand rescheduling the game and even moving the game. I don't agree with forfeiting the game if other teams are playing. If it is bad for Riordan to play, Lincoln to play etc. .but other teams play. Let's be honest, if one person has been exposed to this virus there is more. You don't agree?

Yes, there is more. But, it is up to the school and/or school district to make that decision. Not many schools or school districts are going to cancel games/school if they don't have a direct link to the coronavirus. Unfortunately, your school does and your administration made this decision. Seems silly to then demand that all other schools forfeit games simply because your school already did. "If we can't play, then I don't want anybody else to play" is essentially your argument.

Yes, there is more. But, it is up to the school and/or school district to make that decision. Not many schools or school districts are going to cancel games/school if they don't have a direct link to the coronavirus. Unfortunately, your school does and your administration made this decision. Seems silly to then demand that all other schools forfeit games simply because your school already did. "If we can't play, then I don't want anybody else to play" is essentially your argument.
No need to go back and forth. I would agree with your point if the game was canceled for something the players/coaches did or the school. Games, events have been canceled for a World Wide virus. If its unsafe for Riordan how is it safe for De la Salle and other teams?

No need to go back and forth. I would agree with your point if the game was canceled for something the players/coaches did or the school. Games, events have been canceled for a World Wide virus. If its unsafe for Riordan how is it safe for De la Salle and other teams?

Ask the Riordan administration. Have you done that? I imagine it's unsafe for Riordan because infected parents of a Riordan student came forward. That apparently hasn't happened at other schools.

Lol...here is fun fact for you. My last high school game was played against De La Salle at the Oakland Coliseum. We were 26-0 heading into that Norcal semifinal game. We lost to De La Salle. Kevin Groves for De la Salle shot 30 free throws, we lost by 6 points. One player shot 3p freethrow! I guess we didn't adjust to the way the game was being called. All I will say is ...when I see my old teammates from Mcclymonds high this usually comes up, our last high school game. When I see people that I attended school with or just alumni in the community our last game becomes at topic. This occurred in 1993. Now my son in 2020 scheduled last game was De la Salle and no matter what anyone says, he will remember this forever and so will everyone else. This situation sucks but only for Riordan. De la Salle and Campo get to play.

I know we had “disagreements” and maybe (on my part inappropriate post) different points of view.

But I want to send out my sincerest thoughts and condolences to your son, teammates and your family.

Senior year is very special and have been in locker rooms after final season games tough losses. This seems so unfair cause the boys can’t even battle.

I heard that the HC and AD tried to present many alternatives, but when faced with the realities of a fellow student actually Dx positive. The health & Safety is a priority for both schools and young men and families.

For the Seniors moving on, good luck and remember you are a Crusader.

For the players moving up and graduating to Varsity, your future looks bright!!!

I know we had “disagreements” and maybe (on my part inappropriate post) different points of view.

But I want to send out my sincerest thoughts and condolences to your son, teammates and your family.

Senior year is very special and have been in locker rooms after final season games tough losses. This seems so unfair cause the boys can’t even battle.

I heard that the HC and AD tried to present many alternatives, but when faced with the realities of a fellow student actually Dx positive. The health & Safety is a priority for both schools and young men and families.

For the Seniors moving on, good luck and remember you are a Crusader.

For the players moving up and graduating to Varsity, your future looks bright!!!
Thank you. Lincoln High School Season just ended as well. This stuff is crazy!

Reactions: SFcityfan
I agree with SF_Mikey. At this point everything should be cancelled. As far as I am concerned if they don't, any winner will always have an *.

I agree with SF_Mikey. At this point everything should be cancelled. As far as I am concerned if they don't, any winner will always have an *.

As long as it is safe. why should kids who are not affected be punished? First and foremost, this about kids playing basketball, not about titles with or without *, or whatever. Let them play if their school is in session.

Reactions: NorCalHSFan
It really is terrible that Riordan, Sheldon and Lincoln have had to end their seasons due to this Coronavirus scare. They did nothing to cause this situation and deserve to have their chance to play towards NorCal or state titles. But neither did DLS, Campo, Dublin, BOD or Brookside (or all of the SoCal teams), and they deserve their chance to play on.

It's the flu. In three months everyone is going to thinks its even more ridiculous that they canceled the games for this then they already do now.....

Sucks for all the seniors that will always look back on this and and tell the tale of their high school career ending on a fake crisis.

Reactions: NorCalHSFan
I saw a player on De La Salle (not going to name who), was kind of rubbing Riordan's noses in this situation. I hope someone sits that Sophomore down and explains to him that he should put himself in the Riordan kids shoes, and maybe keep his mouth shut.

All the posts i've been seeing all day from Riordan supporters, players, family members....it's so sad that something like this is happening. Trust me I understand the phrase, "abundance of caution," but I feel at this point its more of an over-reaction than the phrase above.

Reactions: DonniePeckerwood
Here is something to lighten mood as who we are as a society. Geno Auriemma stated in his post game speech..."Corona beer sales have dropped" this stuff is too much...lol....really appreciate the kind words . As for Bryce...all I will say is he tweeted out his raw emotions today, some good and some bad. He is utterly disappointed and hurt. It's been a tough week on us as a family already and basketball and being with his teammates was his outlet and now that has been cut short. What can you do? Pick yourself up and try and find some type of positive in all this.
Ayalar we saw the tweet from the De La player, it was great! DE LA advances to meet Campo. That's it that's all.

Reactions: jordan24
Very unfortunate happenings at riordan and Lincoln high school's as those students have put in alot of season and off season work to put themselves in position to compete on
The biggest stage but the riordan coach should not be saying that any teams left
Advancing should have an asterisk next
To it the teams that are left competing
Don't have actual cases on there campus.

This just hit home. My office is closed now because someone came in with coronavirus.

im out in paternity leave but apparently an employee came in contact with an coronavirus patient who is their neighbor and I guess when I get off leave I will be working from home for the foreseeable future......crazy situation out here

I saw a player on De La Salle (not going to name who), was kind of rubbing Riordan's noses in this situation. I hope someone sits that Sophomore down and explains to him that he should put himself in the Riordan kids shoes, and maybe keep his mouth shut.

All the posts i've been seeing all day from Riordan supporters, players, family members....it's so sad that something like this is happening. Trust me I understand the phrase, "abundance of caution," but I feel at this point its more of an over-reaction than the phrase above.
Dry snitching

Reactions: ayalar09
Per Darren Sabedra's twitter account: Santa Clara County banning gatherings of more than 1K starting Wednesday. @CIFState NorCal Open girls final between @SJNDathletics & @mitty_wbb at Gunn High is Tuesday.

HS kids can say a lot of regrettable things. To provide context, however, it was in response to the Riordan player saying "de la would get smacked as would campo"

Reactions: Tammy1029
HS kids can say a lot of regrettable things. To provide context, however, it was in response to the Riordan player saying "de la would get smacked as would campo"
Bryce text that they would get smacked after a text from from a De la player he trains with, with Will Power. In actuality Riordan already beat Campo by double digits. So there has been some things in response as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT