ADVERTISEMENT

DLS Serra game

WCAL75

Hall of Famer
Sep 24, 2010
I heard that it was going to be televised on ESPNU, I checked for Friday and Saturday and could not find it. What is the date they were supposed to play. Thanks guys.

Great... we get to see the vaunted Veer offense on TV again. Please Serra beat these guys. We don't want anymore of that veer and undersized lineman.

Last edited:
De La Salle will handle Serra relatively easily. They seem to always do... The better game is going to be Serra vs Folsom. I believe Folsom wins this game too.

De La Salle will handle Serra relatively easily. They seem to always do... The better game is going to be Serra vs Folsom. I believe Folsom wins this game too.
If Folsom wins, Serra must be way down from last year because Folsom is not nearly as good as I expected. Serra needs to run the ball behind that massive o line.

I think both Serra and DLS will beat Folsom, since some observers say Folsom down a bit this year, and the very unfortunate loss of their star tight end won't help.

Great... we get to see the vaunted Veer offense on TV again. Please Serra beat these guys. We don't want anymore of that veer and undersized lineman.

I find the “undersized lineman” notion to be pretty funny. As if someone just HAS to be a certain size to play the positon — especially in HS.

Either the player(s) have technique and can block or they can’t.

In DLS’s case over the decades, usually they CAN. Ask 2001 LBP who didn’t have an “undersized line”. Lmao.

If Folsom wins, Serra must be way down from last year because Folsom is not nearly as good as I expected. Serra needs to run the ball behind that massive o line.

I think both Serra and DLS will beat Folsom, since some observers say Folsom down a bit this year, and the very unfortunate loss of their star tight end won't help.

We thought Folsom was down last season too. Especially after blow out losses to DLS and Rocklin then again after a double-digit loss to Granite Bay.

But then they went on a run to win Section and NorCal to appear in State. Getting revenge on both DLS and Rocklin in the process.

I think it might be wise to see how things play out over the course of the long season before casting final judgement on whether they’re down, up or sideways….

Last edited:
I find the “undersized lineman” notion to be pretty funny. As if someone just HAS to be a certain size to play the positon — especially in HS.

In DLS’s case over the decades, usually they CAN. Ask 2001 LBP who didn’t have an “undersized line”. Lmao.

We thought Folsom was down last season too. Especially after blow out losses to DLS and Rocklin then again after a double-digit loss to Granite Bay.

But then they went on a run to win Section and NorCal to appear in State. Getting revenge on both DLS and Rocklin in the process.

I think it might be wise to see how things play out over the course of the long season before casting final judgement on whether they’re down, up or sideways….
to be fair... that was their last flash in the state pan... those undersized linemen have been dominated by so cal comp since then.

Reactions: QPRTrinity

With regards to Folsom All I’m saying is I don’t see that fine tuned machine after watching them. Their line play concerns me and that was an area that I give props to Folsom for investing in over the past years. But also keep in mind they snuck by Jesuit by 1 after beating them 56-7 earlier in season (I was at that game and Jesuit should have never lost it!) and then got DLS on an off night. Impressive win no doubt given on the road and the history of never beating them. But then they go and get handled pretty easily by Cathedral Catholic. I don’t know.. 11-4, 2nd place in league, nice win for section against rocklin who absolutely put up a dud by scoring 3pts.
i loved how they scheduled up so let’s see. I just think if they go into league 3-2 that would be big but 2-3 is not out of question.

Wasn’t DLS down 1 after it scored a TD with virtually no time remaining against Folsom last year? DLS went for the 2Pt conversion and for the win rather than tie it up with a PAT? Nevertheless, that was a great finish to a HS NorCal title game.

Reactions: THEOC89
to be fair... that was their last flash in the state pan... those undersized linemen have been dominated by so cal comp since then.
That was 2001...... DLS has won several state titles after that. I'd say around the 2012 and onwards the SoCal schools began to close the line gap

That was 2001...... DLS has won several state titles after that. I'd say around the 2012 and onwards the SoCal schools began to close the line gap
In all fairness, at the open and d1 level, if you aren’t 6”2-6-4” 250+ on the line it’s going to be a tough night when you play the top tier teams. The Marin Catholics, Newman’s, etc at the Lower levels can still have those 6”0-6”1 210 kids that are effective.

Reactions: RidgeRider
In all fairness, at the open and d1 level, if you aren’t 6”2-6-4” 250+ on the line it’s going to be a tough night when you play the top tier teams. The Marin Catholics, Newman’s, etc at the Lower levels can still have those 6”0-6”1 210 kids that are effective.
Oh I agree, just saying DLS continued to have success well after 2001. They won Open Division I can remember in 2009,2010,2011 and several other years.

Oh I agree, just saying DLS continued to have success well after 2001. They won Open Division I can remember in 2009,2010,2011 and several other years.
i was being lazy and didnt want to look it up. but i knew eventually the train stopped and the linemen are still small.

Heard DLS looked bad in their last game. Lets see how they play against Serra and Coach Walsh. If they lose, DLS admin need to revamp the program and get a new coach that wants to compete and can recruit. Maybe build a new stadium or practice facility to attract recruits.

Heard DLS looked bad in their last game. Lets see how they play against Serra and Coach Walsh. If they lose, DLS admin need to revamp the program and get a new coach that wants to compete and can recruit. Maybe build a new stadium or practice facility to attract recruits.
Not a DLS fan but you are a hater and sound crazy, yea they have issue attracting recruits and the program needs to be revamped… is anybody else hearing this??? DLS is the top program in Northern California a loss to a Serra or St Francis or Folsom every now and then doesn’t change that. I hate you got me on here defending DLS

• Haha
Let’s give Monterey Trail some credit. This is an excellent team that is going to win a lot of games. They happen to have an incredibly tough preseason.

I expect a slugfest. 21-14 type game at most. Look for DLS to play better. I would not be surprised to see Serra go 2-0 after what I witnessed.

Doesn’t sound like DLS is interested in running their program like MD or SJB.

Nevertheless, they are still winning section championships.

Yes, DLS needs to fire their Coach….🤣

Maybe JSerra Should fire their Coach after Blowing a 21 point Lead to Chaminade…. Nice Showing for The Trinity League…. 🤣🤣

I think this will be a really fun game and might even give Serra a slight edge going into it.

In terms of the DLS game, the Spartans didn't look like their normal self. A lot of reasons for that. Maybe this is the new normal. Monterey Trail had played a game before, are physical and athletic and are really well coached. Charles Greer didn't play in the first half.

I think this will be a really fun game and might even give Serra a slight edge going into it.

In terms of the DLS game, the Spartans didn't look like their normal self. A lot of reasons for that. Maybe this is the new normal. Monterey Trail had played a game before, are physical and athletic and are really well coached. Charles Greer didn't play in the first half.
Greer was a dominant player at the end of the game. He didn't play in the first half, was not on the field much in the 3rd quarter because MT held the ball for so much of it, but was fresh and explosive when he was let loose in the 4th quarter.

MT was also without their top running back for most of the game. Ali Collier took an awkward blow to the helmet on his only carry in the first quarter and the coaches kept him out in an abundance of caution. However, the next set of running backs, Jervin Navarro (17c/85y)and Daelin Ellis (17c/98y), are both quality players who logged many carries in last season's playoff run. The three backs will be a pretty formidable battery in future games. It will be tough to key on one player.

Looking at last year, this may be the beginning of the new normal. DLS doesn't seem to be prioritizing football talent anymore. One D1 prospect last year, this year a kid to ND, a couple linemen in the non P5 D1 category. No big time OOS National Power in the schedule per usual. The writing is on the wall from what I can see

I am just curious do you show as much passion during the basketball season as you do football. Personally I am a basketball nut since I spent time with many kids over the years at practice, and Mater Dei has many overrated teams. I mean losing to public schools like Oak Ridge and the other school with a bunch of Silicon Valley parents, the same school that Devonte Adam’s went to, didn’t impress us. How many other state titles does the Trinity own outside of Mater Dei, who won most in Division 2, before the open became a factor, I will gladly wait to hear back. And as a note Klay Thompson is the best out of the Trinity period. He has actually made a huge career. Outside of that, yeah your public schools produced James Harden, Trevor Ariza, and non Trinity schools pumping out the Holiday brothers. Oh and Aaron Affalo and his crew, great players, one a big time D1 football player who went to Oakland, them practices I was at, was a WCAL school that knocked them off. So overall let’s pump the brakes some on the Trinity being the God private league of the state. They are on a run now, but De La Salle ran the table for years, to show disrespect to them is pathetic if you’re truly a high school fan. And you’re no different than a few public schools guys up north. But those of us who have been around private schools for years, you truly make the Trinity league look bad with some stupid comments. Nobody with a brain up here has said Serra could beat MD or St B. Which by the way do you have a team. Did you actually graduate from the Trinity league. Alot of us WCAL folks actually graduated from the WCAL.

Last edited:
Doesn’t sound like DLS is interested in running their program like MD or SJB.

Nevertheless, they are still winning section championships.
Nope, nor have they been. Not taking anything away from MD or SJB, just a choice by a school's Administration. To each their own

3 teams from the Trinity League use Public Stadiums to play their home games. Katy, Texas has 70-million-dollar stadium for their team. Why hasn't this prestige of envy not been duplicated in Orange County? Merced spent 7-million on their team from The Central Valley. Where is the support? We currently have under 100 students and have a wonderful Football field. where is the Alumni money from the Trinity League? Chuckie Hayes never forgot us!!

3 teams from the Trinity League use Public Stadiums to play their home games. Katy, Texas has 70-million-dollar stadium for their team. Why hasn't this prestige of envy not been duplicated in Orange County? Merced spent 7-million on their team from The Central Valley. Where is the support? We currently have under 100 students and have a wonderful Football field. where is the Alumni money from the Trinity League? Chuckie Hayes never forgot us!!
The year Chuck played with Midgley in he state game, we had won earlier against Centennial Compton. We can back in, Arco had to open the upper deck. I was shocked. Good times back then. Modesto came out in full force attendance wise

Reactions: M.C. fan
They simply don't have that kind of support. No one really cares in the community about those teams. They're only supporters are usually board trolls and other alumni who haven't moved on. They don't generally have local kids. Most of the fan base isn't affiliated with the program(s) whatsoever.

I don't see DLS beating Serra, based on what I saw against MT. DLS was super sloppy, especially on the lines. I think they get slowly choked out at their own game. I'm calling it.

The TE for DLS is SUPER overrated, based on what I saw. Lyons from Folsom is much better.

Nope, nor have they been. Not taking anything away from MD or SJB, just a choice by a school's Administration. To each their own
Yeah, the schools administration plays a huge part in the direction of a program. Well sounds like there will be greater parity in NorCal!

I think De La Salle’s demise is here. Looking at Serra’s roster, it now feature former DLS 2-way stud Marley Alapati. I’ve know him and his family for a white and they are from the San Francisco area. What rings a bell for me is that he’s now left DLS for the program which was closer to home to begin with. Never would that have happened during Lad and Eidson’s time.

Did I see where DLS program is "down" and having "trouble" recruiting players? Looking at MaxPreps their latest varsity roster shows 108 players - Huh? Is that posibly correct? If so if dwarf's any WCAL team and gives little or no competitive chance to pub's in most programs. I find it interesting the score of the DLS & Folsom games vs same opponent MT [tho MT did have an actual game under its belt going into DLS game]. Both DLS & Serra should show marked inprovement going into their 2nd game, though the Serra passing game possibly does pose a concern in inconsistency and playmakers - it was off the mark Friday night from previous years' - OR is Folsom D just THAT good? We'll find out next Friday night as Serra QB will need to step his game up a notch vs Spartacus.

I don't see DLS beating Serra, based on what I saw against MT. DLS was super sloppy, especially on the lines. I think they get slowly choked out at their own game. I'm calling it.

The TE for DLS is SUPER overrated, based on what I saw. Lyons from Folsom is much better.
I think both the tight ends are quality. The DLS TE caught a beautiful 45 yd td pass and is a good blocker. No reason to run one of these players down.

Did I see where DLS program is "down" and having "trouble" recruiting players? Looking at MaxPreps their latest varsity roster shows 108 players - Huh? Is that posibly correct? If so if dwarf's any WCAL team and gives little or no competitive chance to pub's in most programs. I find it interesting the score of the DLS & Folsom games vs same opponent MT [tho MT did have an actual game under its belt going into DLS game]. Both DLS & Serra should show marked inprovement going into their 2nd game, though the Serra passing game possibly does pose a concern in inconsistency and playmakers - it was off the mark Friday night from previous years' - OR is Folsom D just THAT good? We'll find out next Friday night as Serra QB will need to step his game up a notch vs Spartacus.
Welcome back @Rmbr26 !

They simply don't have that kind of support. No one really cares in the community about those teams. They're only supporters are usually board trolls and other alumni who haven't moved on. They don't generally have local kids. Most of the fan base isn't affiliated with the program(s) whatsoever.
You clearly haven’t been to a Meter Dei home game. The Santa Ana Bowl holds about 10,000 fans. The Mater Dei side is sold out for every home game. Season tickets sell out in minutes. Most that attend the games are alumni and locals. St. John Bosco has a new $7.2 million stadium packed for home games. Anyhow, I get you hate So Cal football, but you have no clue what you’re talking about with respect to the local communities of these schools and their support for their local programs.

All this support debate aside, take a look at the DLS campus. No matter how much support money they were to get, they would have to MOVE or drop track and baseball if they wanted to build a big stadium. Every inch of the campus is full, including the parking areas.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT