ADVERTISEMENT

Final: Serra 28-0 over DLS

Rmbr26

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2004
Padres defense dominant in shut-out over Spartans. Spartans had plenty of chances with good field position in first 1/2, but unable to find the end zone. The Spartans missed 2 FG's
and were stopped at 4th and goal from the 3 in the 2nd 1/2. Both QB's had 2 Int's and Serra had a punt blocked and another punt go 15 -yards. Serra had a pick-6 towards end of game when DLS was in desparation mode. Serra's D looked good through-out and looks tocarry the team going forward. Serra's TE Cole Harrison was Serra's best offensive weapon and the Spartan's did not have an answer in covering the 6'6 Harrison.

Overall (with a couple of real gaffes), Padres clearly the better team. DLS no longer an utterly intimidating Bay Area bully feared by one and all, both public and private/parochial. Very good. Not great. WCAL has three wins against them in three years. The worm is turning. The eye test says Folsom appears to be better than DLS this season too. Cannot recall the last time a Bay Area school defeated Spartans two years in a row. Serra frosh blew out DLS earlier Saturday; Serra JV's crushed by DLS. Serra is on road vs. Central Catholic next week. DLS on road at St. Francis next week. No WCAL walk in the park for Sparta. Again.

Last edited:
Overall (with a couple of real gaffes), Padres clearly the better team. DLS no longer an utterly intimidating Bay Area bully feared by one and all, both public and private/parochial. Very good. Not great. WCAL has three wins against them in three years. The worm is turning. The eye test says Folsom appears to be better than DLS this season too. Cannot recall the last time a Bay Area school defeated Spartans two years in a row. Serra frosh blew out DLS earlier Saturday; Serra JV's crushed by DLS. Serra is on road vs. Central Catholic next week. DLS on road at St. Francis next week. No WCAL walk in the park for Sparta. Again.

Folsom is down this year IMO. Me thinks st marys is team to beat in sjs. Also serra frosh might be the best frosh team of all time. They blasted a very good Folsom 47-7

Reactions: bulldogmgc
Folsom is down this year IMO. Me thinks st marys is team to beat in sjs. Also serra frosh might be the best frosh team of all time. They blasted a very good Folsom 47-7
Might be but let's wait until WCAL play to see where this Frosh team stands.

Reactions: SFcityfan
Wow. I'm not surprised Serra beat DLS, but a shut out?

Until today, DLS hadn't been shut out in a game since 2005 (Clovis West 7-0).
Last shut out before that was in 1979 by 2 different NCS teams (California 3-0, Salesian 32-0).

Today's loss marks 3 consecutive losses by the Spartans dating back to the D1 AA State game last December.

The last time DLS was on a 3 game losing streak was all the way back in 1978. Closest they ever came until today was 2004 when they started the season 0-2-1.

Today also marks the 6th loss to NorCal opponents the past 2 seasons.

Crazy how quickly things have changed after never changing for such a long period of time.

Hmm. Maybe, if both Folsom and St. Mary’s beat DLS and if Folsom wins SJS D1 section and St. Mary’s wins SJS D2, then we can have Folsom play St. Mary’s for NorCal D1AA regional championship to confirm? Still early. There could be different teams winning SJS D1 and D2? Again, still early. Also, the Rams defeated the Buffaloes without Bryson Davis. Could be a different game in the playoffs. Also, Rocklin and Del Oro still have something to say in SFL and D2. But, dang! Isn’t it great that football season is underway?! GO RAMS!

Hmm. Maybe, if both Folsom and St. Mary’s beat DLS and if Folsom wins SJS D1 section and St. Mary’s wins SJS D2, then we can have Folsom play St. Mary’s for NorCal D1AA regional championship to confirm? Still early. There could be different teams winning SJS D1 and D2? Again, still early. Also, the Rams defeated the Buffaloes without Bryson Davis. Could be a different game in the playoffs. Also, Rocklin and Del Oro still have something to say in SFL and D2. But, dang! Isn’t it great that football season is underway?! GO RAMS!
@bulldogmgc I would have loved to see Riordan and St. Mary’s play this year. Lots of weapons on both sides. Hoping they can schedule a non league game in the future. Perhaps, if the stars align, this year’s NorCals.

You are the second person to say this today. I keep hearing their freshman team is loaded!

The head coaches son plays on that team so you know they are getting extra attention from the varsity coaching staff. They are clearly the best freshman squad in the WCAL this season.

You are the second person to say this today. I keep hearing their freshman team is loaded!

The head coaches son plays on that team so you know they are getting extra attention from the varsity coaching staff. They are clearly the best freshman squad in the WCAL this season.
St. Francis, Riordan and VC may have a say when all is said and done. Riordan has 5 freshmen on Varsity either starting and/or playing significant minutes. One has over 13 offers including Georgia Mich St. and Miami. Half of Riordan’s undefeated JV team are freshmen as they don’t have a freshman team. They start a 6-6 qb and a rb they call beast mode. They’re 2-0 with scores of 40-0 and 35-0.

Riordan’s Freshmen would have something to say about Serra’s Freshman. Obviously, Serra’s Freshmen are very good but Riordan has 5 of them starting on their Varsity. You put all of them on the same playing field and it may be a different story.

Reactions: colhenrylives
For some perspective, Serra may well have been stronger and deeper last season.

SJS D1 vs D2 in the regional has happened before.

Well, everyone should be happy now. Isn't this what everyone in NorCal always wanted?

Well, sans hardcore DLS fans, it should have been what everyone wanted to see.

It certainly wasn’t good for NorCal on the whole for one program to dominate to the degree DLS did and for as long as they did. And it surely wasn’t good wrt the perception of the quality of NorCal football by the National crowd.

Most of the long time members of this forum are fully aware that there were unique circumstances that made the 30-year unbeaten streak much more possible, such as no State and Regional games, for a huge stretch of the 30 years, but those outside of CA don’t seem to understand that.

They just saw the long term result and that something like it didn’t happen in their area so they falsely assumed the competition to be subpar. They can’t fathom that had the same postseason circumstances existed elsewhere, other legit Nat’l powers across the country might have accomplished something similar.

Hell, the way things are going down South in SoCal these days, it’s entirely possible that Mater Dei and SJB might not lose to another CA team (except themselves) for quite a while. IIRC off the top of my head, the past 8-10 years maybe only Centennial-Corona and DLS have pulled off the feat? Regardless at least there is the existence of the SS Open Division and State Bowl Game to make it harder to do.

DLS on road at St. Francis next week. No WCAL walk in the park for Sparta. Again.
It should be surprising if St. Francis really competes well against DLS. They got beat soundly by Helix and barely held off a Monterey Trail team that lost to Folsom 35-0.

I already think this will be the case, but the Spartans will be in serious trouble against the Bulldogs if they can’t handle the Lancers by at least 3 scores.

Reactions: ThunderRam
Assuming Serra beats Central Catholic (which I think will be a good game since the Raiders’ offense looks solid this year), the SJS may have taken away St. Mary’s’ chance to be in the conversation for the NorCal Open bid. Had they been allowed to play in D-I, there was a chance they could have matched 3 good Padre wins (Folsom, DLS, Central Catholic).

I’m hoping to catch them play Bishop Amat in SoCal in a couple of weeks.

Assuming Serra beats Central Catholic (which I think will be a good game since the Raiders’ offense looks solid this year), the SJS may have taken away St. Mary’s’ chance to be in the conversation for the NorCal Open bid. Had they been allowed to play in D-I, there was a chance they could have matched 3 good Padre wins (Folsom, DLS, Central Catholic).

I’m hoping to catch them play Bishop Amat in SoCal in a couple of weeks.
Agree. I was hoping there was still a chance St. Mary’s might get pushed to D1, but after confirming with Mark Tennis with CalHiSports, he shared from media day that the Rams are locked in with playing in D2 for the playoffs. Even the announcers for the St. Mary’s vs Manteca game we’re sharing the Rams are in D2 for the playoffs on the NFHS Netowrk broadcast. So it’s a done deal. I, too, was looking to make the road trip to La Puente for the Bishop Amat game, but after finding out Bishop Amat lost their opening game vs Valencia and barely got by my cousins’ alma mater St. Paul’s, plus work commitments making it difficult to get the day off, I decided to pass on the roadtrip. I still might change my mind and head down there and visit my cousins, but chances are slim. I don’t see Bishop Amat challenging St. Mary’s. But, I do see St, Mary’s vs DLS as still a challenge. Serra is very good! Their defense is awesome, and from my perspective, their D made both Folsom and DLS offense look weak. Not discrediting Folsom or DLS’s offense just yet. But, crediting that Serra defense. I believe my perspective of Serra’s D will be confirmed vs Central Catholic. The Raiders led by their QB Wentworth might be a challenge. But, I’m thinking not, crediting much the Serra D. Also, gotta credit the Folsom and DLS D’s as well. Folsom held the Padres scoreless for 3 quarters and DLS was still in the game early tied 0-0 after 1Q and only down 0-8 at halftime. Hence, the Rams may see a pretty good defense in a couple of weeks, But, will it be good enough to slow down the Rams offense. They couldn’t do it last year. But, I think they may be better this year. Things just got away from the Spartans in the 2nd half and missing 2 FGs early on didn’t help. Still, the St. Mary’s vs DLS at DLS should be a good one and a true test for both teams and a barometer for the top teams in NorCal to know where they stand at this time. I will be at this game. My niece lives down the street and graduated from Carondolet years ago. Hoping she and her husband will join me and my son for this game. GO Rams!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT