ADVERTISEMENT

Jones fired by Cal

Jones was so in over his head. There are HS coaches in the area with a better pedigree. I think JKIDD stays in the NBA. Lakers possibly? Not sure Cal could pay Musselman. Hire his assistant Argenal. Great bay area ties.

I know Randy Bennett loves St. Mary's. He's been there forever. I mean a long time. Bennett makes about 600K coaching at St. Mary's.

Wyking Jones made 1 million coaching for Cal.

I don't see why Cal doesn't offer the job to Bennett and offer him a deal somewhere in the 1.1-1.5 mil range.

The Bay Area is expensive, and the difference between making 600K and 1.2 mil is enormous, and he wouldn't have to uproot his family.

Reactions: dcfan
Jones was so in over his head. There are HS coaches in the area with a better pedigree. I think JKIDD stays in the NBA. Lakers possibly? Not sure Cal could pay Musselman. Hire his assistant Argenal. Great bay area ties.

Hire Argenal? Really? What’s his resume? Let’s be real. I would rather see Theo Roberson come back or maybe the coaching staff at Montana.

The first call needs to be to Russell Turner and the second is to Travis DeCuire. Make both of them say no before moving to someone else.

let me what high school coaches... dublin, san ramon, newark, monte vista and washington-fremont coaches....

With its limited budget, enrollment restrictions, politically correct campus issues and other serious question marks, the Cal job is one of the very worst in the Pac-12. Make no mistake: Outstanding, established college coaches won't be beating down the doors in Berkeley anytime soon.

I know Randy Bennett loves St. Mary's. He's been there forever. I mean a long time. Bennett makes about 600K coaching at St. Mary's.

Wyking Jones made 1 million coaching for Cal.

I don't see why Cal doesn't offer the job to Bennett and offer him a deal somewhere in the 1.1-1.5 mil range.

The Bay Area is expensive, and the difference between making 600K and 1.2 mil is enormous, and he wouldn't have to uproot his family.

I think it would be a good hire. But what would the motivation for Bennett to leave? His program has had more success since he's been there than Cal's since the Kidd years. Again, it could be a good hire, but if I were Bennett, there's no chance in hell I'd leave. he RUNS SMC.

Reactions: frencheezy
With its limited budget, enrollment restrictions, politically correct campus issues and other serious question marks, the Cal job is one of the very worst in the Pac-12. Make no mistake: Outstanding, established college coaches won't be beating down the doors in Berkeley anytime soon.

What enrollment restrictions are you talking about? Agree with the PC campus issues....

I know, I know. Jason Kidd. But that was a generation ago. The Cal admissions office is not nearly so accommodating these days.

Candidates could be:

Russell Turner - UC Irvine
Travis Decuire - Montana
Eric Musselman - Nevada Reno
Leon Rice - Boise State
Kyle Smith - USF
Joe Pasternack - UCSB
Shantay Legans - Eastern Washington
Jason Kidd - Ex-Bucks
Randy Bennett - St. Mary's

I know, I know. Jason Kidd. But that was a generation ago. The Cal admissions office is not nearly so accommodating these days.

KIDD won't be near that campus. He will have opportunities in the NBA. Randy Bennett has CAL on do not disturb.
Rarely does a coach with so little expectations coming into his tenure fail to reach them. That is what just happened at CAL. Now this guy has 3 years left on his original 5 year (5M) deal. 5 Pac 12 wins in 2 seasons. The hole just keeps getting deeper at CAL.

I think ex Cal alum Dennis Gates will be a top candidate he’s done a great job at Florida St.

The cal job should go to travis decuire point blank.Since he has been at montana he has recruited california better then ANY of our local colleges and many norcal kids have
done well at montana. He has back to back
NCAA tournament appearances on his resume and he understands the dilemma
In recruiting kids that meet the academic standards at cal.He is the guy that can bring
cal basketball back to respectability.

The cal job should go to travis decuire point blank.Since he has been at montana he has recruited california better then ANY of our local colleges and many norcal kids have
done well at montana. He has back to back
NCAA tournament appearances on his resume and he understands the dilemma
In recruiting kids that meet the academic standards at cal.He is the guy that can bring
cal basketball back to respectability.
ion know if them academics at montana or even athletes there compare to Cal and the Pac 12

@ankleissassin i did not compare the two but what I am saying is travis spent time as an assistant At cal under mike Montgomery so he understands what he is facing in
recruiting kids that meet the requirements
to gain admission to cal.

IMHO the Cal job is not a good job. I think the Georgia state job (Hunter left for Tulane) is just as good, if not better.

Kidd is not getting an NBA level coaching job at this point in his career.

This is the same told that told one of his players to intentionally miss a free throw when they were up 3 in the final minutes of the game..

what are pc campus issues?

Cal, like SF State on the other side of the bay, is a grievance/protest factory. Complaining about perceived abuse, discrimination, slights of every kind, unpleasant discussions, etc. is a way of life. Surprising it's not an official major.

Cal, like SF State on the other side of the bay, is a grievance/protest factory. Complaining about perceived abuse, discrimination, slights of every kind, unpleasant discussions, etc. is a way of life. Surprising it's not an official major.
so you decided when someone else should be bothered or offended... ok got it... i hope you do not have a daughter

IMHO the Cal job is not a good job. I think the Georgia state job (Hunter left for Tulane) is just as good, if not better.

No way. No comparison. The Cal job is still a great job. Would you rather live in Berkeley or Atlanta? Money not much of an issue when your making a million or more like you would be at Cal. Georgia st is probably more of a 300k a year job at best.

The UC Irvine coach should be 1, with Randy Bennett being 1a.

The radio mentioned someone like Jason Kidd isn’t happening due to his checkered past with domestic violence.

No way. No comparison. The Cal job is still a great job. Would you rather live in Berkeley or Atlanta? Money not much of an issue when your making a million or more like you would be at Cal. Georgia st is probably more of a 300k a year job at best.

The UC Irvine coach should be 1, with Randy Bennett being 1a.

The radio mentioned someone like Jason Kidd isn’t happening due to his checkered past with domestic violence.

Don't forget the high cost of Bay Area living and the super high California taxes. Those are factors too.
You couldnt have given a more tired response if you had tried. You probably engage in more safe space activities than you realize.

Your excellent logic and well-crafted response force me to head for the bunker. I remain chastened.

Col, you do realize you described some posts on this board. Have you been hoisted by you own Petard :)

Here's wishing you great hoops

Turner now on the hot seat for name calling during the game last night.

https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2019/0...ner-use-homophobic-slur-to-taunt-oregon-star/

I hate this 2019 PC crap society we now live in.

He was calling Louis King....Queen, because his last name is King. Calling him Queen is just a move to get under his skin and it's a joke he would even be on the hot seat for something like this. Had the kid had any other last name but King, I would completely understand, but come on.

People need to seriously get a life!

Cal's recruiting pool is limited due to the UC system's academic requirements.

I took a symposium at SMC a few years ago and one of the speakers was a person from the athletic department from Cal (can't remember for the life of me what their position was). He was saying that Cal had a lot of students that would have qualified getting in (mostly in non-head count sports) but on the guys side, they had a certain allotment of mulligans if you will, where they met the SAT standard, but had very low GPA's. These people were required to do mandatory tutoring, and basically hand held until they proved to be academic independent. The academic standards for most all Cal students is obviously insane, but not so much for it's student-athletes. They don't have admission standards like Stanford, Ivy League, Notre Dame, etc. Now that was 3-4 years ago, and things may have changed but i was floored to hear some of the students GPA's that got in...

As far a Turner goes, there is no good explanation. No head coach, or any coach, should be trash talking another team's player to try to get under his skin. There is no rational explanation for this action. In my opinion, if Turner was smart, he would come out today and say that he made a big mistake, he got caught up in the excitement of the atmosphere, there is no excuse for his actions, and it will never happen again.

As far as the GSU job, I would take that job over Cal and I do not think it is close. Cal has years to go to develop into a winning program. GSU has a record and recent tradition of winning and plays in a very good mid major conference, the Sun Belt They have been to the NCAAs the last two years and have played in the post season 6 of the last 8 (including 3 NCAAs) . If Williams, Simonds, Wilson and Phillips all return, GSU has one of the best mid-major back courts in the country returning. SImonds is one of the best mid major players in the country and is far better than any player Cal has had in the last 2-3 years. He would start on almost any team in the country. ATL is a better recruiting area than Nor Cal. Cal is a school with financial issues. GSU is a growing school pouring more and more money into its athletic and other facilities. Sure, the Cal job may pay more. But the median cost of a house in bay area is over a million. The median costs in ATL is under 250k.
Today . . .right now . . . GSU job > Cal job.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT