ADVERTISEMENT

Jones fired by Cal

Fox is a experienced head coach at the Mid-Major and Power 5 level who sustained an over .500 season in 7 out of 9 seasons at Georgia and every season at Nevada. His overall coaching record was 286-176, with splits at Nevada: 123-43 and Georgia: 166-133. Fox also has taken both programs to the NCAA tournaments

Doesn’t look bad, and I would put Cal at the same level as Georgia. He will have a tougher time recruiting because of the academic requirements for acceptance into the university. He has an overall winning record so he must be able to recruit and coach.

His best year at UNR per KenPom was his first year with players he didn’t recruit (Trent Johnson’s players ) after that it was a gradual decline with CBI tourney his last two years and at UGA 2 NCAA tourneys in 9 years ? Meh this isn’t going to elevate Cal really, of course it’s an improvement over the worst P5 coach in history, but it’s not going to make them relevant at all

If Mark Fox ends up being the choice, Cal will have someone who understands how to run a program which is a definite upgrade.

It is an interesting choice especially if a number of people talked about on this thread was interested in the job.

His best year at UNR per KenPom was his first year with players he didn’t recruit (Trent Johnson’s players ) after that it was a gradual decline with CBI tourney his last two years and at UGA 2 NCAA tourneys in 9 years ? Meh this isn’t going to elevate Cal really, of course it’s an improvement over the worst P5 coach in history, but it’s not going to make them relevant at all
At Nevada his teams were first in conference 4 out of 5 years, not much of a decline. His record at Georgia wasn’t bad with the last five seasons the team finished with a winning record.

At Nevada his teams were first in conference 4 out of 5 years, not much of a decline. His record at Georgia wasn’t bad with the last five seasons the team finished with a winning record.

Right and his best years were with Trent players he recruited his cycle of players ended with CBI tourneys, and bottom line u play to get into the NCAAs and if your hanging your hat on a guy who made 2 times in last 11 years it doesn’t sound like a Homerun hire to me

Right and his best years were with Trent players he recruited his cycle of players ended with CBI tourneys, and bottom line u play to get into the NCAAs and if your hanging your hat on a guy who made 2 times in last 11 years it doesn’t sound like a Homerun hire to me
Really, you should of applied! First, there is no homerun hire coming to Cal. PAC 12 basketball is not what it use to be (Nike University May change that) but any great coach will pass on Cal. I’m not even sure if UCLA can hit a homerun hire and they have way more to offer than Cal. Be realistic in your thought process of what kind of coach you can get at Cal. Fox may be considered a homerun for Cal.

Really, you should of applied! First, there is no homerun hire coming to Cal. PAC 12 basketball is not what it use to be (Nike University May change that) but any great coach will pass on Cal. I’m not even sure if UCLA can hit a homerun hire and they have way more to offer than Cal. Be realistic in your thought process of what kind of coach you can get at Cal. Fox may be considered a homerun for Cal.

Travis Decuire and Russell turner make a ton more sense for Cal with direct ties to Cal who know the landscape of the school versus Fox. UGA has a lot easier admissions and less roadblocks then Cal and he was mediocre there so what’s his ceiling ? 18 wins a year? CBI and NIt appearances once in a while ? Meh okay

Travis Decuire and Russell turner make a ton more sense for Cal with direct ties to Cal who know the landscape of the school versus Fox. UGA has a lot easier admissions and less roadblocks then Cal and he was mediocre there so what’s his ceiling ? 18 wins a year? CBI and NIt appearances once in a while ? Meh okay

Maybe having direct ties to Cal is what they don’t want. Neither of those coaches have a better winning percentage than Fox and he coached in the SEC! You got a double and you should be happy with it. A homerun was never going to happen!

Fox is a experienced head coach at the Mid-Major and Power 5 level who sustained an over .500 season in 7 out of 9 seasons at Georgia and every season at Nevada. His overall coaching record was 286-176, with splits at Nevada: 123-43 and Georgia: 166-133. Fox also has taken both programs to the NCAA tournaments

Doesn’t look bad, and I would put Cal at the same level as Georgia. He will have a tougher time recruiting because of the academic requirements for acceptance into the university. He has an overall winning record so he must be able to recruit and coach.

Cal isn't Stanford. Why do people keep saying there's admission requirements at Cal for student athletes??? In order to qualify for NCAA you ONLY have to have a 2.3 and sliding scale SAT? I had a friend who's kid got a scholarship to Cal Poly SLO to play hoops. When they FIRST got their admission letter it said, we're sorry to inform you that you did not get admission to CPSLO..yadda yada yada. When they called the coach, he said it happens all the time; denied general admission, then they applied the athletic admissions and it was all good. Average gpa for their major was 4.1...insane...

https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2018DIEC_Requirements_Fact_Sheet_20180117.pdf

Maybe having direct ties to Cal is what they don’t want. Neither of those coaches have a better winning percentage than Fox and he coached in the SEC! You got a double and you should be happy with it. A homerun was never going to happen!

We will agree to disagree then sir, no biggie

So, really, most SEC athletes would, in fact, meet the Cal entrance requirements. With the exceptions of (men's) basketball and football. Correct?

So, really, most SEC athletes would, in fact, meet the Cal entrance requirements. With the exceptions of (men's) basketball and football. Correct?

Some would and some would not. I don’t have enough information. Having two sons that played college baseball and going through the process I would think that UC standards are higher than most SEC school standards.

Last edited:
At end of the day Fox is a huge upgrade from Jones. Jones was basically the last man standing after Cuonzo left.
Hopefully better things to come in Berkley.

Reactions: MC415
I love the ability of confirmed idiots like Big Baller Brand to revel in their ignorance.

Yes, I realize the substance of this statement will go way over Big Baller Brand's ability to comprehend.

Reactions: BigBallerBrand
At end of the day Fox is a huge upgrade from Jones. Jones was basically the last man standing after Cuonzo left.
Hopefully better things to come in Berkley.

Jones was literally the worst D1 P6 coach of all time, he will never be any kind of D1 HC ever again

And in fact, there are many athletes that are accepted into SEC schools, with the exception of Vanderbilt, that cannot get into Cal. Of that, I am 10,000% certain.

Some would and some would not. I don’t have enough information. Having two sons that played college baseball and going through the process I would think that UC standards are hire than most SEC school standards.
hire? i hope the kids did better

Yes sir, what a shit hire

Shitt hire? It's Cal, coming off of possibly the 2 worst back to back power 5 years ever. Mark Fox did nothing but win at Nevada then had a solid run in the SEC. His recruiting ties are far and wide. He is a solid solid hire for a very undesirable job in CAL

Shitt hire? It's Cal, coming off of possibly the 2 worst back to back power 5 years ever. Mark Fox did nothing but win at Nevada then had a solid run in the SEC. His recruiting ties are far and wide. He is a solid solid hire for a very undesirable job in CAL

Prior to those two years they were plenty competitive under Cuonzo and Monty, it’s recently become a shit job but hasn’t always been a undesirable job. Fox is a nice person who had some success in mid major with Trent Johnson’s players and the reeled off 2 tournament appearances in last 11 years. We shall see how it shakes out

If you can recruit 2nd tier LA & So-Cal players well
If you can recruit the top tier Nor-Cal players well
If you can recruit the top tier Seattle-Tacoma players well

Then Cal can be a good job in 4 years.

If you can also recruit top tier Arizona players
If you can also recruit top tier California and Texas JC players well
And if you can mix in some really good international flavor

Then Cal can be in the tournament in 5 to 7 years.

If you hire a young local assistant coach who has ties to HS & AAU Coaches
If you get a basketball practice facility
Allow Soldiers, Lakeshow, Arsenal, WCE and Lillard to have access to CAL

Then Cal can be a tournament regular.

If you can keep at home the Gordon's the Akinjo's, the Kidd's, the Murray's the Brown's and the other All Americans

Then Cal is a juggernat.

Its all up to them.

If you can keep at home the Gordon's the Akinjo's, the Kidd's, the Murray's the Brown's and the other All Americans

Then Cal is a juggernat.

Its all up to them.

Competitive? yes, Juggernaut? That's on the administration and how much they want to build a program into a perennial contender. Recent memory would suggest no. But if Fox can string some 18-20 win seasons then they may be more inclined to put out more money....everyone loves a winner. 2nd tier socal players won't make Cal viable even in the beginning. All the great coaches who've done incredible turnarounds have done it with a good schedule first 1-3 years, got players to come to the university, and last but not least got the boosters involve...again, that equates winning.

He has a history of rebuilding...just depends on if his assistants and he can recruit. I wish him and Cal nothing but the best.

Smart thing Fox did do is to bring Trent with him as his lead assistant

Then Cal is a juggernat.

Its all up to them.
define... access.....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT