ADVERTISEMENT

Jones fired by Cal

No way. No comparison. The Cal job is still a great job. Would you rather live in Berkeley or Atlanta? Money not much of an issue when your making a million or more like you would be at Cal. Georgia st is probably more of a 300k a year job at best.

The UC Irvine coach should be 1, with Randy Bennett being 1a.

The radio mentioned someone like Jason Kidd isn’t happening due to his checkered past with domestic violence.
the uc irvine coached called a guy queen... he aint getting that job... and if you never been to the ATL you missing out...

You're wrong. You do not need a degree to coach college basketball. J Kidd is 100% a candidate for this job.

go to the NCAA website and the baseline is having a college degree. University perspective? How can you push education if you don't have one in the first place?

BigBallerBrand is wrong as usual. ALL NCAA D1 jobs require a degree.

TurtleLove wrong again...just like the HS division / competitive equity debate. Show me where the NCAA requires a college degree to coach D1 hoops. Working towards a degree maybe but not a requirement by the NCAA.

TurtleLove wrong again...just like the HS division / competitive equity debate. Show me where the NCAA requires a college degree to coach D1 hoops. Working towards a degree maybe but not a requirement by the NCAA.

Show me anywhere in the NCAA D1 level where being the head coach doesn't require a degree OR name me ONE head, or assistant coach that DOES NOT have a degree. Go to NCAA.org and go under employment. Almost every job that has to do with D1 Coaching requires you to have a job. I remember a few years ago, Rex Chapman was in the hunt fo the USF job but couldn't because he had no degree. Unless you're coaching a bunch of janitors, you need that piece of paper

Reactions: CoachDViks
at Cal it might be needed tho. obviously not at southwest central tech college but Cal might be different
That could be...although as long as J kidd is working toward his degree I imagine they might have some flexibility here. Each individual institution has its own requirements.
Show me anywhere in the NCAA D1 level where being the head coach doesn't require a degree OR name me ONE head, or assistant coach that DOES NOT have a degree. Go to NCAA.org and go under employment. Almost every job that has to do with D1 Coaching requires you to have a job. I remember a few years ago, Rex Chapman was in the hunt fo the USF job but couldn't because he had no degree. Unless you're coaching a bunch of janitors, you need that piece of paper

All I see is a section that reads "preferred qualifications". I know it is preferred however it is not 100% necessary.

That could be...although as long as J kidd is working toward his degree I imagine they might have some flexibility here. Each individual institution has its own requirements.

All I see is a section that reads "preferred qualifications". I know it is preferred however it is not 100% necessary.
BBB, perhaps you should read the sections called either "Minimum Qualifications" or "Education and Experience". In every NCAA head coach job listing, a Bachelors is required and a Masters is preferred. "Required" = 100% necessary.

BBB, perhaps you should read the sections called either "Minimum Qualifications" or "Education and Experience". In every NCAA head coach job listing, a Bachelors is required and a Masters is preferred. "Required" = 100% necessary.
university of phoenix or chapman univer will get him a degree in 2 months

Both Damon Stoudamire (UOP) and Terry Porter (Portland) both were hired without completion of their undergrad degree.

I think both had a amendment to their contracts that said they had to be actively working toward the degree and a final date of completion to continue validity of contract.

Both Damon Stoudamire (UOP) and Terry Porter (Portland) both were hired without completion of their undergrad degree.

I think both had a amendment to their contracts that said they had to be actively working toward the degree and a final date of completion to continue validity of contract.

Well someone lied on the resume then....

A 2008 Arizona graduate, Stoudamire starred on the court for Olson at Arizona from 1991-95. During his collegiate playing days, Stoudamire led the Wildcats to a 101-24 record, the 1994 and 1995 Pac-10 Conference championships and a 1994 NCAA Final Four appearance. He was a consensus All-America first-team pick in 1993-94. As a senior, Stoudamire was a finalist for the John R. Wooden Award and was named the Pac-10 Player of the Year. Stoudamire finished his collegiate career ranked fifth on the UA career scoring list with 1,849 points and his 663-career assists were the second-most in the Lute Olson era. He is the only player in Arizona history to score 40 points in a single game twice and one of only three Wildcats to score more than 600 points in a season twice, finishing his career as the program record holder with 272 three-point field. Nearly two decades after the completion of his UA career, Stoudamire still ranks in the top 10 on eight different program career charts.

Well someone lied on the resume then....

A 2008 Arizona graduate, Stoudamire starred on the court for Olson at Arizona from 1991-95. During his collegiate playing days, Stoudamire led the Wildcats to a 101-24 record, the 1994 and 1995 Pac-10 Conference championships and a 1994 NCAA Final Four appearance. He was a consensus All-America first-team pick in 1993-94. As a senior, Stoudamire was a finalist for the John R. Wooden Award and was named the Pac-10 Player of the Year. Stoudamire finished his collegiate career ranked fifth on the UA career scoring list with 1,849 points and his 663-career assists were the second-most in the Lute Olson era. He is the only player in Arizona history to score 40 points in a single game twice and one of only three Wildcats to score more than 600 points in a season twice, finishing his career as the program record holder with 272 three-point field. Nearly two decades after the completion of his UA career, Stoudamire still ranks in the top 10 on eight different program career charts.

he probably finished it. That would be a HUGE no no and immediate firing if he had not complete it and an embarrassment to UoP. Porter's on the other hand, does not have anything about his academics

According to Jim Knowlton (Cal AD) a degree is not required. It's preferred but not a must have.

According to Jim Knowlton (Cal AD) a degree is not required. It's preferred but not a must have.

Where can we find that? I have been searching for the source and have not been able to find it. Not that I don't trust you, but you are consistently wrong.

Where can we find that? I have been searching for the source and have not been able to find it. Not that I don't trust you, but you are consistently wrong.
I did a quick glance at ALL the basketball jobs on the NCAA website...While Cal is not listed, EVERY school has a minimum requirement of having a bachelors degree.

Try emailing him, although I doubt he will reply to you. Take your L like a man turtle...you’re now 0-2 against me bud

so it requires a BA to coach a game but to be a police officer you only need good credit and graduate high school.... explains alot

BigBaller, you are a freaking moron. YOU LOSE. EVERY D1 job requires a degree. Can you fricking read???

so it requires a BA to coach a game but to be a police officer you only need good credit and graduate high school.... explains alot

you have to be 21 (when you graduate) and have a GED or a high school diploma to be a cop. Now for things like FBI or Secret Service, you need a BA.

that's funny. What statement are you trying to make about cops without college degrees? Do you want to extend it to all folks?
the statement was made about the level of education required to do a job that most say is the most dangerous in the world opposed to coaching a game. you would think it would be a requirement for the more pressing job of keeping citizens safe than teaching a full court press. maybe that should be looked at.

The education level for college coaches is at a minimum a bachelors and normally a Masters for the head coach. At some universities the coaches have classes that they instruct or an assistant coach instructs so they are required to have a degree to instruct at the university. This is required at almost every level from JC to D1.

BigBaller, you are a freaking moron. YOU LOSE. EVERY D1 job requires a degree. Can you fricking read???
Chris Huffins CAL head track coach 2002-2007. Did not get his degree till 2007. Look it up

Degree is certainly preferred but not require by any means

https://es.pn/2Ywe1c9

He graduated magna cum laude with his bachelor’s in Physical Education from Eastern New Mexico in 1991 and obtained a master’s of science degree in Athletic Administration and Sports Psychology from the University of Kansas in 1996.

the statement was made about the level of education required to do a job that most say is the most dangerous in the world opposed to coaching a game. you would think it would be a requirement for the more pressing job of keeping citizens safe than teaching a full court press. maybe that should be looked at.

Do you think people just walk in and say "what's up i want to be a cop" ?

Yes sir, what a shit hire

Fox is a experienced head coach at the Mid-Major and Power 5 level who sustained an over .500 season in 7 out of 9 seasons at Georgia and every season at Nevada. His overall coaching record was 286-176, with splits at Nevada: 123-43 and Georgia: 166-133. Fox also has taken both programs to the NCAA tournaments

Doesn’t look bad, and I would put Cal at the same level as Georgia. He will have a tougher time recruiting because of the academic requirements for acceptance into the university. He has an overall winning record so he must be able to recruit and coach.

Reactions: norcalbasketball
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT