ADVERTISEMENT

Let The Transfer Games Begin

Ara has been here as long as I have. These topics come around just like Groundhog Day. He knows there are boundaries because publics must inform staff in Spring whether their job is there (or not) for Fall. The annual pink slip exercise. Based on projections/stats, that’s how the budget gets passed, teachers hired, yada, yada. Free flow of students could not be estimated. And Districts have rules regarding credentialing (privates have no requirement) and getting the appropriate credentialed teacher in math/science/etc. is near impossible on short notice. I think the general public is educated in this subject. It’s also why privates have solid ceiling numbers.

Don’t like intrusions by THE MAN? Here’s an idea. Pull up next to your local deputy. Unclip that lap/ shoulder thing, show the freed buckle shining in your hand and shout, “This lifesaving device is a hindrance to my freedom of choice. And you darn well can’t make me wear it. So I’ll be on my way WITHOUT using it! Whatcha gonna do Mr/Ms overreaching choice snatcher?”

Then let us know how that works out.

Sir, this is complete over kill because we are only talking about a small percentage of any given school that would have transfers which would have little to no effect on a schools enrollment

Reactions: aztecpadre
You could have saved a lot of words by saying it’s not fair because basically that’s all you said.
You don’t want power house teams because you want to win it’s as simple as that.
Who the hell made you arbitrator of what people need and what they don’t?
Who the hell made you arbitrator of the “way it’s supposed to be”
Nobody is stopping you from doing what you think is best for you so why would you support that against others?
I find it incredibly hypocritical that you and others say it’s about bonding with your friends in the community but actually it’s about what you rail against.....winning
ARARAR.....Do you feel good now?? You are right, its all about winning, but I'm against transfers which lead to killer teams.. Now DLS may have a transfer or two, but they lure kids because they win...Look what they have done to local teams in the past 25 years. This is where boundaries come in, have a good day...

Don’t like intrusions by THE MAN? Here’s an idea. Pull up next to your local deputy. Unclip that lap/ shoulder thing, show the freed buckle shining in your hand and shout, “This lifesaving device is a hindrance to my freedom of choice. And you darn well can’t make me wear it. So I’ll be on my way WITHOUT using it! Whatcha gonna do Mr/Ms overreaching choice snatcher?”

That’s just it here in the people’s republic of Kalifornia can’t do that because tyranny is always the answer. Leave the state and go into “America” people have more choices. They can ride without helmets, own guns, use straws, change the mufflers on their cars, etc.............As for the hiring of teachers. Maybe schools should focus on actually educating these kids and preparing them to move and they won’t have to worry about enrollment. Like sports programs if they build it enrollment won’t be a issue. Kalifornia ranks near the bottom in the country for education in case you haven’t heard.

Still waiting for your answer on why we need rule restricting choice

Not sure what you are refering to in terms of the big picture. Do we carry this over to mean no rules? How far do you want to take free choice. There are rules because it keeps people from doing anything they might want to do, whenever they want to do it. Rules are contracts that society uses, so there is structure for everyday living.
Understand this, playing sports in High School is a privilage, NOT a right.
When you attend public school, there are contracts you agree to when attending. Simple as that.

Here's wishing you great football

You didn’t answer the question.In fact no body has.At this point I’ll take even one the tired crappy responses to why we need a rule restricting choice

Everyone has a choice. A choice to move to the district of the school you want to go to.

Here's your reasons for the rules and boundaries , of course it's only my opinion.

1) protect the sport
2) protect the athlete
3) protect the sport
4) protect the community
5) protect the sport
6) provide structure and organization
7) prevent malpractice and destructive behavior on the part of adults
8) PROTECT THE SPORT

ARARAR.....Do you feel good now?? You are right, its all about winning, but I'm against transfers which lead to killer teams.. Now DLS may have a transfer or two, but they lure kids because they win...Look what they have done to local teams in the past 25 years. This is where boundaries come in, have a good day...

I feel pretty good thanks for asking
DLS is a perfect example that there is nothing wrong with dominant programs.If you’re not upset with a 300 game winning streak then anything that’s happening In SoCal shouldn’t bother you at all
Hope your day is tremendous

Not sure what you are refering to in terms of the big picture. Do we carry this over to mean no rules? How far do you want to take free choice. There are rules because it keeps people from doing anything they might want to do, whenever they want to do it. Rules are contracts that society uses, so there is structure for everyday living.
Understand this, playing sports in High School is a privilage, NOT a right.
When you attend public school, there are contracts you agree to when attending. Simple as that.

Here's wishing you great football

All I’m suggesting is kids shouldn’t be penalized for transferring nothing more.
These schools are making money off of these kids playing sports some are making a significant amount but it’s a privilege for the kid?
It will never happen but if kids suddenly quit playing that kind of attitude would change in a hurry

Reactions: Sacchiefs
Everyone has a choice. A choice to move to the district of the school you want to go to.

Here's your reasons for the rules and boundaries , of course it's only my opinion.

1) protect the sport
2) protect the athlete
3) protect the sport
4) protect the community
5) protect the sport
6) provide structure and organization
7) prevent malpractice and destructive behavior on the part of adults
8) PROTECT THE SPORT

Protect these things from what exactly?
A dominant sports school?

That’s just it here in the people’s republic of Kalifornia can’t do that because tyranny is always the answer. Leave the state and go into “America” people have more choices. They can ride without helmets, own guns, use straws, change the mufflers on their cars, etc.............As for the hiring of teachers. Maybe schools should focus on actually educating these kids and preparing them to move and they won’t have to worry about enrollment. Like sports programs if they build it enrollment won’t be a issue. Kalifornia ranks near the bottom in the country for education in case you haven’t heard.
True colors eventually are ferreted out. How public enrollment (which the poster thinks is an issue!) is equivocated with standards of education is a quite a stretch, and lacks for insightful debate. A discussion regarding established rules of CIF metamorphosing into a rant about “people’s (sic) republic of Kalifornia” was expected. The bias was was way too easy to flush out....hook, line and sinker. Seriously, quit whining and move to your “America.”

Ah, so that is the gap in your thinking. You approach this from a sports-only view. You think publics prevent transfers to keep from creating a dominant sports school. You think everyone should be able to choose where to attend school regardless of address because its a free nation. Laughable. Publics (leaving privates out because they are funded privately and anyone can transfer and attend if they choose) are not a powerhouse-sports-first mentality. It is about EDUCATION and funded by state and local monies. Sports are an after-school extra-curricular activity. If a student wants to transfer, all they gotta do is get approval to enroll as a freshman or change their address just like the boys from Reno did at Folsom! PS: would love to hear what public schools are "making money" (will even leave out "significant") off their sports programs! You are so out of touch!

Ah, so that is the gap in your thinking. You approach this from a sports-only view. You think publics prevent transfers to keep from creating a dominant sports school. You think everyone should be able to choose where to attend school regardless of address because its a free nation. Laughable. Publics (leaving privates out because they are funded privately and anyone can transfer and attend if they choose) are not a powerhouse-sports-first mentality. It is about EDUCATION and funded by state and local monies. Sports are an after-school extra-curricular activity. If a student wants to transfer, all they gotta do is get approval to enroll as a freshman or change their address just like the boys from Reno did at Folsom! PS: would love to hear what public schools are "making money" (will even leave out "significant") off their sports programs! You are so out of touch!
Depends what you consider “making money”. I know for a fact that certain football programs keep their athletic departments thriving because of ticket sales for home games. Thriving= keeps costs down for players in all sports.

I agree with ARAR. It s completely hypocritical to claim a lack of commitment or lack of competitive spirit because a kid wants to transfer when you have De La Salle who has built one of the greatest high school programs in history on the basis of actively and openly recruiting local talent FOR DECADES. Doing so at the Jr. High level does not dismiss that fact. The best players that go to De La Salle are not there because of “academics” and anyone who believes that is a hypocrit. More than ever, High school athletics is the only path to college for the majority of athletes in any sport in this country. So hindering their ability to put themselves in the best possible scenario to accomplish that is ridiculous. Its also ridiculous to sensationalize DLS and Liberty and Folsom for their amazing seasons/programs, when they are all built on the excellence of transfers or out of area athletes.

Loyalty my a$$! If people want to be concerned and prevent transfers, fine, then start being an activist for your cause. Because if Jr. High recruiting/athletic based scholarships stops at DLS, and high school transferring stops in the NCS, Pittsburg and Deer Valley would be juggernauts because that is where EVERYONES best players live.

In my opinion taking the “Loyalty” stance is no different than the idiots that say LeBron and other athletes should stick to sports and not political commentary. As soon as someone new starts to come up or gain a voice(public school athletics and students), society loves to take them down and completely ignore big business (DLS) reaping the benefits of their stupidity.

Mic drop!

Last edited:

Thanks for asking.
#1-the sport: especially football: interest levels are in virtual free fall across the state. Star athletes leaving their communities to go to other schools results in less excitement and enterest at those schools. Declining interest results in fewer players and butts in seats on Friday nights. Cut or combined JV and Frosh programs, even cut varsity programs, difficulty scheduling games and difficulty creating competitive balance. Loss funding for other sports and extracurricular activities. Loss of interest at the HS level will result in loss of interest at the Collegiate and NFL levels. Not even the dumbest of all FB fans wants this.

#2-players: protecting them from lying over zealous coaches who promise them everything they need and want. Protecting them from making uneducated, inexperienced decisions in their young uniformed lives. Protecting them from their own over zelous parents who want to buy their kids success instead having them earning it on their own.

#3-community: Towns rally around programs that compete. Football supports/builds community pride. Its bigger than just the sport. Programs that are a player or two away from being competitive suffer tremndously when they lose players to other communities. When those programs succeed communities rally around them, Just ask Brentwood, Oakdale, Vacaville, Folsom

the rest either overlap or are self explanatory

Depends what you consider “making money”. I know for a fact that certain football programs keep their athletic departments thriving because of ticket sales for home games. Thriving= keeps costs down for players in all sports.

I agree with ARAR. It s completely hypocritical to claim a lack of commitment or lack of competitive spirit because a kid wants to transfer when you have De La Salle who has built one of the greatest high school programs in history on the basis of actively and openly recruiting local talent FOR DECADES. Doing so at the Jr. High level does not dismiss that fact. The best players that go to De La Salle are not there because of “academics” and anyone who believes that is a hypocrit. More than ever, High school athletics is the only path to college for the majority of athletes in any sport in this country. So hindering their ability to put themselves in the best possible scenario to accomplish that is ridiculous. Its also ridiculous to sensationalize DLS and Liberty and Folsom for their amazing seasons/programs, when they are all built on the excellence of transfers or out of area athletes.

Loyalty my a$$! If people want to be concerned and prevent transfers, fine, then start being an activist for your cause. Because if Jr. High recruiting/athletic based scholarships stops at DLS, and high school transferring stops in the NCS, Pittsburg and Deer Valley would be juggernauts because that is where EVERYONES best players live.

In my opinion taking the “Loyalty” stance is no different than the idiots that say LeBron and other athletes should stick to sports and not political commentary. As soon as someone new starts to come up or gain a voice(public school athletics and students), society loves to take them down and completely ignore big business (DLS) reaping the benefit of their stupidity.

Mic drop!
I dont like the way dls does things. But what they are doing and what MD and SJB are doing is two different things. If those two teams do what dls does they may see a SBG once every 7-10 years.
How many times did MD beat dls without the transfers? I don’t believe the north will ever relax it’s morals when it comes to athletic transfers. I’m not insensitive to your situation down there. I had my ass kicked 7 out of 7 times in a 30yr span by dls. But I would never consider allowing 12-15 transfers so I could beat them just once. Why? Because when a kid works his ass off for me 2-3yrs. I’m not going to bench him for Lawrence Phillips, or Rea Carruth. We are talking about high school. Not high football. Just my opinion.

Thanks for asking.
#1-the sport: especially football: interest levels are in virtual free fall across the state. Star athletes leaving their communities to go to other schools results in less excitement and enterest at those schools. Declining interest results in fewer players and butts in seats on Friday nights. Cut or combined JV and Frosh programs, even cut varsity programs, difficulty scheduling games and difficulty creating competitive balance. Loss funding for other sports and extracurricular activities. Loss of interest at the HS level will result in loss of interest at the Collegiate and NFL levels. Not even the dumbest of all FB fans wants this.

#2-players: protecting them from lying over zealous coaches who promise them everything they need and want. Protecting them from making uneducated, inexperienced decisions in their young uniformed lives. Protecting them from their own over zelous parents who want to buy their kids success instead having them earning it on their own.

#3-community: Towns rally around programs that compete. Football supports/builds community pride. Its bigger than just the sport. Programs that are a player or two away from being competitive suffer tremndously when they lose players to other communities. When those programs succeed communities rally around them, Just ask Brentwood, Oakdale, Vacaville, Folsom

the rest either overlap or are self explanatory

Thank you for a thoughtful response
1.Interest levels dropping have nothing to do with transfers and everything to do with the CTE scare.Parents are pointing their children in a less violent direction.

2.I could get behind this if it was an epidemic in HS sports but it isn’t.Kids that transfer are usually the better players so they already know where they fall in the rotation of their new team.

3.If you live in a community that only supports your local high schools because they win then you live in a piss poor community.I live down the street from Chaminade and a couple miles from Sierra Canyon but I rarely spend my money there I spend it at the Los Angeles City section schools in my community because they need it

Thank you for a thoughtful response
1.Interest levels dropping have nothing to do with transfers and everything to do with the CTE scare.Parents are pointing their children in a less violent direction.

2.I could get behind this if it was an epidemic in HS sports but it isn’t.Kids that transfer are usually the better players so they already know where they fall in the rotation of their new team.

3.If you live in a community that only supports your local high schools because they win then you live in a piss poor community.I live down the street from Chaminade and a couple miles from Sierra Canyon but I rarely spend my money there I spend it at the Los Angeles City section schools in my community because they need it

1) declines are in all organized sports across the board. CTE is a part of it but so is a shift in culture that is far deeper than that. (CTE is a false narrative driven by the media without scientific facts, but thats another conversation) Alot challenges are hurting "OUR" sport that we love so much. Allowing open boarders/transfers witthout consequence is just another challenge that our sport doesnt need. Hence the rules. Every state has em. We are becoming one of the more relaxed states.
2) for every star athlete that transfers, theres another that transfered that you didnt here about that failed. You dont here about the dude that thought he was doing the right thing, but failed miserably. You only hear about the dudes that everyone is talking about.
3) my community rocks. The bleachers are standing room only regardless of the win/loss record. Recuiters have commented to me that it has a "midwest" feel. But not all communities are created equal. Supportive communities selfishly deserve competitive schools. The home values, sense of community, and spirit will respond accordingly.

If youre in a community where private schools and public schools are within walking distance or even a short bus ride, I would concede some that transfers rules should be more relaxed. But where Im from, many kids are a carpooling 44 miles to go to private schools for athletic reasons. I know of one from my town that is succeeding athletically. Others are just the product of over zelous parents who thought that commuting 3 hours a day was their sure ticket to athletic scholarships and future success. They usually stop playing sports within a year or two and end up at the local state college when they realize that money wont buy college admissions.

Im about protecting the sport too. Not just the programs. As a coach/parent/fan/player Ive seen it and have been impacted by recruiting/transfers etc.

1) declines are in all organized sports across the board. CTE is a part of it but so is a shift in culture that is far deeper than that. (CTE is a false narrative driven by the media without scientific facts, but thats another conversation) Alot challenges are hurting "OUR" sport that we love so much. Allowing open boarders/transfers witthout consequence is just another challenge that our sport doesnt need. Hence the rules. Every state has em. We are becoming one of the more relaxed states.
2) for every star athlete that transfers, theres another that transfered that you didnt here about that failed. You dont here about the dude that thought he was doing the right thing, but failed miserably. You only hear about the dudes that everyone is talking about.
3) my community rocks. The bleachers are standing room only regardless of the win/loss record. Recuiters have commented to me that it has a "midwest" feel. But not all communities are created equal. Supportive communities selfishly deserve competitive schools. The home values, sense of community, and spirit will respond accordingly.

If youre in a community where private schools and public schools are within walking distance or even a short bus ride, I would concede some that transfers rules should be more relaxed. But where Im from, many kids are a carpooling 44 miles to go to private schools for athletic reasons. I know of one from my town that is succeeding athletically. Others are just the product of over zelous parents who thought that commuting 3 hours a day was their sure ticket to athletic scholarships and future success. They usually stop playing sports within a year or two and end up at the local state college when they realize that money wont buy college admissions.

Im about protecting the sport too. Not just the programs. As a coach/parent/fan/player Ive seen it and have been impacted by recruiting/transfers etc.

I will also concede that these rules are better set in more rural communities than metropolitan areas.Within 30 minutes driving area there are 6-7 private schools and at least 15 public schools where I live. I just don’t see the need to penalize for transferring in such a setting

Reactions: HereWeGo2019
True colors eventually are ferreted out. How public enrollment (which the poster thinks is an issue!) is equivocated with standards of education is a quite a stretch, and lacks for insightful debate. A discussion regarding established rules of CIF metamorphosing into a rant about “people’s (sic) republic of Kalifornia” was expected. The bias was was way too easy to flush out....hook, line and sinker. Seriously, quit whining and move to your “America.”

“Ferreted out” “True colors” “bias” “flushed out” I mean wtf? If you just woke up to my position about individuals right to choose after the last post, your Star is dimmer than I thought.

Paloma: while i is true privates like DLS get the local kids from a good area around Concord, this thread is about TRANSFERS. That is something DLS does not do as compared to a SJB. DLS pretty much takes what they have coming in as freshmen.

Because when a kid works his ass off for me 2-3yrs. I’m not going to bench him for Lawrence Phillips, or Rea Carruth. We are talking about high school. Not high football. Just my opinion.

You seriously just equated high school kids that are considering transferring to murderers and criminals. WTF? I’m thinking you are way too emotional about this. Damn....

“Ferreted out” “True colors” “bias” “flushed out” I mean wtf? If you just woke up to my position about individuals right to choose after the last post, your Star is dimmer than I thought.
Your comments about Berkeley and it’s “demographics” in the Coaching Carousel thread make it crystal clear where you’re coming from. Lipstick on a pig. No star here, but a thousand points of light could enlighten you....maybe.

You seriously just equated high school kids that are considering transferring to murderers and criminals. WTF? I’m thinking you are way too emotional about this. Damn....
Absolutely. Prime examples of what happens when all you care about is winning football games. Those kids are transferring in to MD to win football games. Not to learn that spitting in someone’s face is unacceptable. I would agree with those who say “it’s just a kid doing stupid kids stuff”. But when there is zero accountability then your opening the door for a future criminals. It’s not just MD. When they play SJB if you look close enough you’ll see O.J. Simpson and Aaron Hernandez on there side. If it was the other way around and #10 from dls would have spit in #3 face. #10 would have been done for the night. SBG or not. So please excuse me for being shocked when someone accuses me of being to “emotional “ about the future of high school kids.

"on the basis of actively and openly recruiting local talent FOR DECADES."

LOL, there you go again Paloma. DLS really has broken your heart time and time again haven't they, for you to be constantly spewing your hate for them. It's gonna be ok Paloma. Hang in there.

Reactions: aztecpadre
Your comments about Berkeley and it’s “demographics” in the Coaching Carousel thread make it crystal clear where you’re coming from. Lipstick on a pig. No star here, but a thousand points of light could enlighten you....maybe.

“Lipstick on a pig” boy that’s original. Ruffled by my observations about Berkeley HS huh. Again I don’t care if you agree with my observation or opinions I’m entitled to them. See unlike you or those people in Berkeley for example I just voice my opinion and let people decide. You folks think your ideas are so great everybody should see it your way and if they don’t? They should be forced.

“Lipstick on a pig” boy that’s original. Ruffled by my observations about Berkeley HS huh. Again I don’t care if you agree with my observation or opinions I’m entitled to them. See unlike you or those people in Berkeley for example I just voice my opinion and let people decide. You folks think your ideas are so great everybody should see it your way and if they don’t? They should be forced.
Your Berkeley HS rant, your want for universal right to choose, the “people’s republic of Kalifornia.” Your agenda is clear and thankfully, our country allows one voice it. “Leave the state and go into America, people have more choices.” Soooooo, if you live in CA, stop the whining and move to your “Amerika.”
Back to HSFB and CIF rules.

Reactions: Paloma
Your Berkeley HS rant, your want for universal right to choose, the “people’s republic of Kalifornia.” Your agenda is clear and thankfully, our country allows one voice it. “Leave the state and go into America, people have more choices.” Soooooo, if you live in CA, stop the whining and move to your “Amerika.”
Back to HSFB and CIF rules.

“Berkeley rant” really? It was what a three/four word post? Somebody has her knickers in a knot here. Tell you what why don’t you run to the hall monitor and make a complaint? If not and you don’t like the answers to question’s or answers to scenario’s you dream up, don’t ask! I think people should have the right to choose, it’s called freedom and I’m a fan.

Last edited:
Paloma: while i is true privates like DLS get the local kids from a good area around Concord, this thread is about TRANSFERS. That is something DLS does not do as compared to a SJB. DLS pretty much takes what they have coming in as freshmen.
I know what this thread is about. I started it.

And as I said earlier, in my opinion, punishing players for transferring high schools with the desire to improve their chances as a college prospect is a joke while private school national powerhouse programs have been built by actively recruiting junior high school players with the promise of a discounted tuition, zero school district boundary restrictions, a chance to play on ESPN every year, and a Nike sponsorship. Which is the basis of the open transfer rule in the CIF to at least help level the playing field against DLS, Mater Dei, St. John Bosco, Oaks Christian, etc.

DLS doesn’t worry about transfers because they already have selected the players they wanted, and every time a player tries to transfer from DLS they get ran through the NCS Lemon ringer. Stop worrying about the have nots! #followthemoney

By the way, as much as everyone knows I love the topic of the DLS economic competitive advantage, that’s not why I started this thread. I’m only responding to posts/comments. :)

Last edited:
“Berkeley rant” really? It was what a three/four word post? Somebody has her knickers in a knot here. Tell you what why don’t you run to the hall monitor and make a complaint? If not and you don’t like the answers to question’s or answers to scenario’s you dream up, don’t ask! I think people should have the right to choose, it’s called freedom and I’m a fan.
The only discussion that needs to be made about Berkeley High is the athletic director’s obvious contempt for the football program and determination to make boys and girls basketball less popular. The determination to make the athletic department irrelevant by BUSD is an obvious attempt to appease the city’s increasingly changing demographics at the expense of student athletes, particularly Black student athletes.

Not a transfer per se, but Bru McCoy put his name into the NCAA transfer protocol to high tail it out of USC. Pretty big loss for USC and a pretty big get for wherever he goes.

Not a transfer per se, but Bru McCoy put his name into the NCAA transfer protocol to high tail it out of USC. Pretty big loss for USC and a pretty big get for wherever he goes.
SC has a lot of depth at receiver, though not as much right now. Yeah, tough loss but not at a position of extreme need

I'm not being sarcastic but sincerely asking for your thoughts. If kids were transfering to schools for academically motivated reasons would there be an uproar?
At El Cerrito back in the day there was a radio station on campus and the students had a chance to broadcast live throughout the bay area daily and kids were transferring in like crazy just to try to be on air...(And as a note the radio wasn't a class but considered exracurricular)Are boundaries enforced strictly for sports transfers? Would there be objections if kids were transferring for other reasons than sports?

I'm not being sarcastic but sincerely asking for your thoughts. If kids were transfering to schools for academically motivated reasons would there be an uproar?
At El Cerrito back in the day there was a radio station on campus and the students had a chance to broadcast live throughout the bay area daily and kids were transferring in like crazy just to try to be on air...(And as a note the radio wasn't a class but considered exracurricular)Are boundaries enforced strictly for sports transfers? Would there be objections if kids were transferring for other reasons than sports?
I doubt EC got a bunch of music transfers in the 60’s just because Doug Kidd was installing the CCR beat in the Fogerty brothers. Or kids gravitating to DA late 80’s early 90’s since Kirk Hammet and the Primus guys evolved into gazillionaires as Metallica. All kidding aside it has tons to do with enrollment and staffing; and principals being able to adequately staff and serve a somewhat known number of students. Plus nowadays, with AP courses at most schools, there are few reasons for really bright kids to go elsewhere. Add to that, the evolution of Charter schools. Plenty of DA kids head to Richmond College Prep on the CCC campus, as well as 3-4 other charters in town.
Our boundary school is strict simply due to capacity... and excellent programs. So the answers to your questions are “maybe.”

Last edited:
Reactions: djgaucho
Plus nowadays, with AP courses at most schools, there are few reasons for really bright kids to go elsewhere.

To pretend like everything is equal in terms of education because schools offer AP courses is naive. So you’re basically saying AP courses at say Mt. Diablo are on par with Monte Vista? That’s pretty funny. Does that also translate at the college level as well? Where a degree from Stanford or Cal are the same as Hayward? The answer to the question is no. Academic transfers are not treated the same as kids who play sports. If the institution accepts them there is no penalty in terms of sit out periods, or year long bans from certain courses, or activities. (Other than sports)

To pretend like everything is equal in terms of education because schools offer AP courses is naive. So you’re basically saying AP courses at say Mt. Diablo are on par with Monte Vista? That’s pretty funny. Does that also translate at the college level as well? Where a degree from Stanford or Cal are the same as Hayward? The answer to the question is no. Academic transfers are not treated the same as kids who play sports. If the institution accepts them there is no penalty in terms of sit out periods, or year long bans from certain courses, or activities. (Other than sports)
Why wouldn’t the AP courses at Mount be equal to those at Monte Vista exactly? Both are public schools. Both are required to adhere to the same AP approval standards and certifications. So what ar you insinuating?

And I believe you made 1315’s point. Restricting only student athletes from extra curricular school activities due to transferring high schools is as absurd as assuming that you can’t get as equal of an education in a Mt. Diablo AP class schedule as you could in a Monte Vista AP class schedule.

Why wouldn’t the AP courses at Mount be equal to those at Monte Vista exactly? Both are public schools. Both are required to adhere to the same AP approval standards and certifications. So what ar you insinuating?

Because that’s is naive as noted. Environment, funding, etc, are completely different, while one may offer the required “minimum” standard for AP courses the other very well may push limits in its program. Look you’re a Pitt fan would you say for example that Y.V. Music/band is on par with Pitt because they both offer music and band? No you wouldn’t. Just because two institutions offer the same courses doesn’t make the education one is getting the same. Many factors go into that. It also doesn’t mean that Mt. Diablo doesn’t have a better AP program than Monte Vista. I personally don’t know, schools were randomly chosen for example only. But to pretend things are equal everywhere in naive.

@114- it makes no sense to compare a reason to transfer for higher academics via AP courses to music courses... or FB. The tone of this thread is about kids who perform superiorly to peers. That is WHY almost all publics have AP options, multiple ones at that, and why the stipulation they’d “want to transfer” is a false narrative. Did he even know there are standardized tests given to AP students to attain scores which give them college credit? And that the test is uniform- given to ALL students same day per subject- across the US? And it’s governed by the College Board? The same organization that runs the SAT?

This is what happens when ignorance graces some perceived notion there is a direct correlation between athletically motivated transfer families and those who understand the greater value of advancing their children’s academic options at their HOME school. By the way, HS “Honors” courses are not the equivalent of AP if you’re searching that. AP enrollees are REQUIRED to take the standardized in Spring. They are specifically for kids targeting a higher academic four year college.

Reactions: Paloma
Because that’s is naive as noted. Environment, funding, etc, are completely different, while one may offer the required “minimum” standard for AP courses the other very well may push limits in its program. Look you’re a Pitt fan would you say for example that Y.V. Music/band is on par with Pitt because they both offer music and band? No you wouldn’t. Just because two institutions offer the same courses doesn’t make the education one is getting the same. Many factors go into that. It also doesn’t mean that Mt. Diablo doesn’t have a better AP program than Monte Vista. I personally don’t know, schools were randomly chosen for example only. But to pretend things are equal everywhere in naive.
So you are saying that extra curricular programs at certain schools have an advantage over others, sometimes economically, but academically can be/are similar. Got it. No argument here!

If a band student wanted to transfer to Pittsburg should he/she have to sit?

If there is a rule that states a band member who transfers to Pitt to be the 1st alto sax or 3rd trombone has to sit-out for a period of time, then yes. If no rule exists, then no. Athletics does have a rule. Or was this more of a philosophical question?

So you are saying that extra curricular programs at certain schools have an advantage over others, sometimes economically, but academically can be/are similar. Got it. No argument here!

Look it’s not that complex to be honest. All things aren’t equal in life that’s a fantasy. That’s my point read into whatever you want but that’s it in a nutshell. To pretend different is naive. You can have the same class on the same campus taught by two different people and one class odds are will be preferred over the other based on who teaches it! So 1315’s assertions that students shouldn’t need to transfer based on academics because all schools have AP courses is short sighted among other things. And no a kid transferring for band shouldn’t be made to sit in my opinion, but neither should a kid sit for football, baseball, wrestling, etc. I believe in freedom of choice. Life is about choices and learning from the consequences of those choices.

I know what this thread is about. I started it.

And as I said earlier, in my opinion, punishing players for transferring high schools with the desire to improve their chances as a college prospect is a joke while private school national powerhouse programs have been built by actively recruiting junior high school players with the promise of a discounted tuition, zero school district boundary restrictions, a chance to play on ESPN every year, and a Nike sponsorship. Which is the basis of the open transfer rule in the CIF to at least help level the playing field against DLS, Mater Dei, St. John Bosco, Oaks Christian, etc.

DLS doesn’t worry about transfers because they already have selected the players they wanted, and every time a player tries to transfer from DLS they get ran through the NCS Lemon ringer. Stop worrying about the have nots! #followthemoney

By the way, as much as everyone knows I love the topic of the DLS economic competitive advantage, that’s not why I started this thread. I’m only responding to posts/comments. :)

Who does this "open recruiting" at DLS? Who have they picked? Whoever it is should probably have been fired a couple times. In the mid 2000's and then again after the 2015 class....

Look it’s not that complex to be honest. All things aren’t equal in life that’s a fantasy. That’s my point read into whatever you want but that’s it in a nutshell. To pretend different is naive. You can have the same class on the same campus taught by two different people and one class odds are will be preferred over the other based on who teaches it! So 1315’s assertions that students shouldn’t need to transfer based on academics because all schools have AP courses is short sighted among other things. And no a kid transferring for band shouldn’t be made to sit in my opinion, but neither should a kid sit for football, baseball, wrestling, etc. I believe in freedom of choice. Life is about choices and learning from the consequences of those choices.

My thoughts are similar to yours.,I get it that rules are rules but my problem is choice. Why should a kid be penalized for choosing to transfer whether for athletics or academics? Why are they penalized for one and not the other? ......So for me I guess the question would be what is appropriate penalty for a student who transfers? I think 5 games maximum...Why would a kid be ineligible for the season for example like McKenzie was after leaving De La Salle?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT