ADVERTISEMENT

Let The Transfer Games Begin

First off excuses are the tool of a loser winners never use them. Second are we going to now pretend like every school with open enrollment has done what DLS has? Everybody knows the answer is they haven’t. Many schools have open enrollment and some are public and charters do as well, yet they don’t have the same accomplishments as DLS, why? I mean if that’s the missing or key piece to the puzzle why don’t they all have same success? Because reality is it has very little to do with the success, it’s the program, commitment, coaching, tradition, etc. Build it and kids will come.

Oh and for what it’s worth I have no problem with private and public leagues. I don’t think it’s right but understand why people would want it. Myself I think kids should be where they are happy and teams should accept or embrace challenges, losing isn’t a bad thing it’s part of life.
Both Pitt and Folsom had many more and higher ranked D1 players than DLS. I do not see what "advantage" DLS has that others do not? People will yell out "boundaries", yet publics get many transfers, so that should offset that. Then people yell, "they recruit the best players" again I go back to Pitt or Folsom, whom both had more D1 players than DLS. If they recruit the best players, then why did the Joe Mixons and Najee Harris' of the world not attend DLS? Along with MANY highly recruited players in the area that did not attend DLS. So I ask, what is the real problem with DLS? None.

Both Pitt and Folsom had many more and higher ranked D1 players than DLS. I do not see what "advantage" DLS has that others do not? People will yell out "boundaries", yet publics get many transfers, so that should offset that. Then people yell, "they recruit the best players" again I go back to Pitt or Folsom, whom both had more D1 players than DLS. If they recruit the best players, then why did the Joe Mixons and Najee Harris' of the world not attend DLS? Along with MANY highly recruited players in the area that did not attend DLS. So I ask, what is the real problem with DLS? None.

DLS (or any private/parochial school) vs. public schools: Apples and oranges; no comparison; separate and unequal. How does Liberty, Foothill, SRV, etc., with their enrollment restrictions, compete on a level playing field with DLS (or any private/parochial school)? DLS, literally, can enroll any qualified student, athlete or not, from anywhere and, if necessary, provide valid financial aid in the bargain. We can consistently admire what DLS achieves athletically with that very obvious caveat. And, no, DLS does not need to recruit. Its sporting pedigree speaks for itself at this point in its history.

Reactions: aztecpadre

DLS always has one of the deepest rosters in terms of talent. Their 2nd teamers are starters at most schools. When they have an injury, the next man up is often just as good as the first one. I remember when they had a spate of injuries to RBs a few years ago, and the 3rd and 4th string guys were still much better than what most teams have. So it’s not just the number of high ranked D1 starters they have.

Yes, they also cultivate this talent well and their subs get a lot of playing time when they’re up 30 early against public schools, and the back ups are prepared when it comes time to take over. This is a very underrated part of DLS’s success, and yet another reason they don’t lose to the local publics.

Reactions: aztecpadre and 1315
It takes an obsession with winning to maintain both the cachet of “attraction” and leveraging an open boundary. The influence is less than “undue,” but it’s strikingly strong.

For all that is said about elite transfers, I still feel that the coaches and programs that have been the best, still all build great teams through development. When you look at the best programs look at their depth, look at the size of kids that dont play much as much. Take a glance at their special teams and notice how many similar looking kids mass sub in n out.

Imo, this is what has caused the biggest seperation of teams. Elite level athletes can help cover up but its the strength of the depth that prevails in the long run.

Last edited:
If they recruit the best players, then why did the Joe Mixons and Najee Harris' of the world not attend DLS? Along with MANY highly recruited players in the area that did not attend DLS. So I ask....
Ask and you shall receive. dLS’s heralded “entrance exam,” long touted by a few here on ncp as used to garner top academic talent, has long been known by many in the EBay as a tool to filter OUT low performers. The resources to bring low performing students up during the No Child Left Begind Act era dictated schools spend precious resources to serve those students. Since publics cannot turn away ANY student, privates application committees operate under no such guidelines. I know of a pedigreed applicant granted a second test, voila, enrolled.

Rara- you’re just stirring the pot. Keep repeating yourself: Boundaries don’t matter, boundaries don’t matter. deLa should get ALL the Catholics from West Contra Costa! Why give the Salesian Brethren any?

Rara- you’re just stirring the pot. Keep repeating yourself: Boundaries don’t matter, boundaries don’t matter. deLa should get ALL the Catholics from West Contra Costa! Why give the Salesian Brethren any?

Where did I say boundaries don’t matter?
I’ve only repeated that they weren’t made for athletic equity which we all know is truth.You and others have used them for purposes not intended.Basically you need to blame someone/something for whatever ails you

Boundaries are made by Public school Districts to facilitate their budgets.

But if for one minute you think it has zero impact on athletic equity, well just read.

QUOTE="ararar, post: 232273, member: 1496"]You men understand that school borders has absolutely nothing to do with athletics don’t you?[/QUOTE]
Not anymore they don’t.
They never have

So what arara intimates is that if Bob Ladouceur NEVER got an athlete/student from:
Richmond-Vallejo-Pittsburg-San Ramon-Danville-Orinda-El Cerrito and on and on, he’d still have the “streaks” the faithful gush over due to his superior skills and “passion” with winning, and of course, dLS’s superior academics. LOL

Boundaries are made by Public school Districts to facilitate their budgets.

But if for one minute you think it has zero impact on athletic equity, well just read.

QUOTE="ararar, post: 232273, member: 1496"]You men understand that school borders has absolutely nothing to do with athletics don’t you?

So what arara intimates is that if Bob Ladouceur NEVER got an athlete/student from:
Richmond-Vallejo-Pittsburg-San Ramon-Danville-Orinda-El Cerrito and on and on, he’d still have the “streaks” the faithful gush over due to his superior skills and “passion” with winning, and of course, dLS’s superior academics. LOL[/QUOTE]

Uh,no.I didn’t intimate anything I stated a fact which is boundaries were not made for athletic equity.Do you wish to debate that fact or continue to try and move the goalposts to fit your narrative

Richmond-Vallejo-Pittsburg-San Ramon-Danville-Orinda-El Cerrito and on and on, he’d still have the “streaks” the faithful gush over due to his superior skills and “passion” with winning, and of course, dLS’s superior academics. LOL

Uh,no.I didn’t intimate anything I stated a fact which is boundaries were not made for athletic equity.Do you wish to debate that fact or continue to try and move the goalposts to fit your narrative[/QUOTE]

While athletic equity may not be a factor in the determination of boundaries it’s a simple fact, they help promote it.

There is NO debate as to the origination of public school boundaries. What IS being debated is as to their current effect when provocative privates leverage their existence to expand their efforts to lure families far,far beyond what would be considered a natural population boundary. I hope there is clarity in that.

Reactions: RidgeRider
I am not sure private leagues would survive, other than the WCAL, and DLS would have to join them.
This brings up the old saw that DLS can't, because of travel. I always thought that excuse was silly, considering North Section teams sometimes travel 2-3 hrs in snow storms.
It would serve DLS, privates, and public's to have a boundary. This would give your argument complete and total validity.

Here's wishing you great football

I guess I wasn’t being very clear. I’m in no way saying private leagues should be created. From my point of view NorCal Football, Fans, etc, need to grow a set and get over the mythical advantage DLS has which is boundaries. If creating a league for private’s would shut these babies up I would be ok with that was more my point. I think things are fine where they stand and teams should embrace the challenge of beating DLS, sadly it seems few do and it’s probably because of the built in excuses the area embraces.

Reactions: THEOC89
There is NO debate as to the origination of public school boundaries. What IS being debated is as to their current effect when provocative privates leverage their existence to expand their efforts to lure families far,far beyond what would be considered a natural population boundary. I hope there is clarity in that.

And why shouldn’t they? They pay their own way.The don’t take tax payers money.Why should they have to follow those specific rules when they don’t take part in the spoils.

Uh,no.I didn’t intimate anything I stated a fact which is boundaries were not made for athletic equity.Do you wish to debate that fact or continue to try and move the goalposts to fit your narrative

While athletic equity may not be a factor in the determination of boundaries it’s a simple fact, they help promote it.[/QUOTE]
An unintended consequence that people cling to when other teams win

I guess I wasn’t being very clear. I’m in no way saying private leagues should be created. From my point of view NorCal Football, Fans, etc, need to grow a set and get over the mythical advantage DLS has which is boundaries. If creating a league for private’s would shut these babies up I would be ok with that was more my point. I think things are fine where they stand and teams should embrace the challenge of beating DLS, sadly it seems few do and it’s probably because of the built in excuses the area embraces.
You’re late to the party. No one in the EBAL complained from 08-11 when deLa was voted in. In fact, there was great anticipation of the chance to meet them TWICE every year. Way before the Folsom rule....

If anything, the only debates came about when the faithful would not recognize their open boundary had any impact.

Reactions: observer22
While athletic equity may not be a factor in the determination of boundaries it’s a simple fact, they help promote it.
An unintended consequence that people cling to when other teams win[/QUOTE]

Intention is irrelevant because boundaries exist and it does absolutely provide athletic equity and whether it’s original sole intent was or not doesn’t matter, boundaries serve that purpose as well , that’s a fact.

It only breaks down when you bring in kids from other states and area codes because you talk outside both sides of your mouth about athletics being a vehicle for developing character in young people and your real motive “winning” , which is what this is all about. The abuse by coaches and programs and some parents and the acceptance of it by those who want to see professional high school football because they want to be entertained and then they hide behind intellectually lazy constitutional platitudes of freedom when they know the transfer game is being abused for greed, pure and simple.

There are plenty of historical exemples of selfish social behavior that has been rationalized by some to the detriment of others.

Reactions: Humbab
An unintended consequence that people cling to when other teams win

Intention is irrelevant because boundaries exist and it does absolutely provide athletic equity and whether it’s original sole intent was or not doesn’t matter, boundaries serve that purpose as well , that’s a fact.

It only breaks down when you bring in kids from other states and area codes because you talk outside both sides of your mouth about athletics being a vehicle for developing character in young people and your real motive “winning” , which is what this is all about. The abuse by coaches and programs and some parents and the acceptance of it by those who want to see professional high school football because they want to be entertained and then they hide behind intellectually lazy constitutional platitudes of freedom when they know the transfer game is being abused for greed, pure and simple.

There are plenty of historical exemples of selfish social behavior that has been rationalized by some to the detriment of others.[/QUOTE]
The people who complain are showing selfish social behavior because they are only complaining because they themselves want to win

First off excuses are the tool of a loser winners never use them. Second are we going to now pretend like every school with open enrollment has done what DLS has? Everybody knows the answer is they haven’t. Many schools have open enrollment and some are public and charters do as well, yet they don’t have the same accomplishments as DLS, why? I mean if that’s the missing or key piece to the puzzle why don’t they all have same success? Because reality is it has very little to do with the success, it’s the program, commitment, coaching, tradition, etc. Build it and kids will come.

Oh and for what it’s worth I have no problem with private and public leagues. I don’t think it’s right but understand why people would want it. Myself I think kids should be where they are happy and teams should accept or embrace challenges, losing isn’t a bad thing it’s part of life.
That was quite the rant. Impressive. I didn't need all that. Not sure why DLS is mentioned, but we shall let that pass.

Do you believe public's and privates should operate under the same rules, if they are being asked to compete with each other? I personally do not care what rules they are, just as long as they are the same.

It only breaks down when you bring in kids from other states and area codes because you talk outside both sides of your mouth about athletics being a vehicle for developing character in young people and your real motive “winning” , which is what this is all about.
It isn't all about "winning." Maybe it is for the coaches. But for public school coaches, the same shitty stipend applies no matter how many games you win. I realize it is different for private schools.

For kids, it is less about winning, and more about jockeying and positioning themselves for the next level. Kids that move and attend other schools outside boundaries are generally kids with next level talent. They move to places where they are most likely to personally succeed and be seen for the next level.

Not saying you are wrong with your points, but simply stating there is more to it, a long with a few different sides.

If anything, the only debates came about when the faithful would not recognize their open boundary had any impact.

Care to elaborate why their open boundary only benefits them and their greatness and not other private’s, charters, or even public’s with same “advantages”

Care to elaborate why their open boundary only benefits them and their greatness and not other private’s, charters, or even public’s with same “advantages”

Until recently, there were no large school charters in the East Bay. DLS is the only D1 private anywhere near the East Bay.

Until recently, there were no large school charters in the East Bay. DLS is the only D1 private anywhere near the East Bay.

They might be the only D1 private but size doesn’t really matter. The smaller private’s have not had the same dominance in their respective divisions. You also have I believe some east bay public’s without boundaries that haven’t replicated the same success that having no boundaries automatically gives. (Incert eyeroll here) And even the recent addition of charter schools and no boundaries haven’t had anywhere the success of DLS over their brief history. So could it possibly be something else?

It’s magic.
Ha! As if THertz speaks for “the rest of us!”
Please note there are at least 2-3 years of threads one can find here on ncp. And this topic has been discussed plenty. I’m not doing any legwork for some Oct. ‘18 newbie. Brief history indeed....

Please note there are at least 2-3 years of threads one can find here on ncp. And this topic has been discussed plenty. I’m not doing any legwork for some Oct. ‘18 newbie. Brief history indeed....

“Newbie” Snicker, Yes it’s a dead horse you guys continue to kick. Tell me about all the educators you have in your family again HAHAHA.

It’s funny when someone doesn’t realize they’ve been “schooled.” Back to FB bruh. LOL

Ask and you shall receive. dLS’s heralded “entrance exam,” long touted by a few here on ncp as used to garner top academic talent, has long been known by many in the EBay as a tool to filter OUT low performers. The resources to bring low performing students up during the No Child Left Begind Act era dictated schools spend precious resources to serve those students. Since publics cannot turn away ANY student, privates application committees operate under no such guidelines. I know of a pedigreed applicant granted a second test, voila, enrolled.

I was speaking to the theory of DLS getting all of the best players in the area. They rarely have a bunch of D1 players that fill their rosters. They are a private school, so yes, they are allowed to have an entrance exam that a potential student must pass in order to get in. Followed by an interview. Financial aid is made available to those who need it. The process for who qualifies and for how much is done by a third party. DLS wins because of their coaching and culture of the program. Along with lots of hard work. No they do not have boundaries, just like any other private school.

I would not be down with separating privates and publics. At least as a former player and father of a player. I went to a small public in Carmel and we had Palma in our league. The old MTAL. They were one of the top 5 in CCS every year and we always looked forward to that game every year to test ourselves. Even though we knew it was going to be a huge challenge, we still wanted to play that game.

He is far from a newbie. The former IndianPride45, and banned off multiple names, according to my sources. Tread lightly.

The main people that want to separate privates from publics are either coaches that are tired or losing, or, adults (parents/fans) that need THEIR team to win so they have something to hang their hat onto.

I would not be down with separating privates and publics. At least as a former player and father of a player. I went to a small public in Carmel and we had Palma in our league. The old MTAL. They were one of the top 5 in CCS every year and we always looked forward to that game every year to test ourselves. Even though we knew it was going to be a huge challenge, we still wanted to play that game.

Exactly how the EBAL teams feel when facing DLS. Outsiders have no idea what the mindset is.

Exactly O22. I believe a good number of posters weighing in on the “mindset” of teams facing the machine have kids (maybe) that faced the machine once, perhaps twice, a good chance never. They’ll never know what a program did to compete, let alone perform like the 07-11 years. Too bad.

The main people that want to separate privates from publics are either coaches that are tired or losing, or, adults (parents/fans) that need THEIR team to win so they have something to hang their hat onto.
Who wants to separate them? A better course of action would be instituting a universal rule system that governs publics and privates. Fair & equitable right? No reason to separate. If they are being asked to compete against each other, there is no reason for separate rules systems. If one has any advantages that others don't, they don't need to be competing against each other.

I believe you would agree.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT