ADVERTISEMENT

Modesto Christian, Day 2

De La Rosa starting to heat up... I believe he has Brookside’s last 6. But Cougs lead 53-33 at the end of the 3rd.

Brookside turns it over again... Even if the Cougs weren’t killing them, the mistakes would be...

60-40 Campo with 3:42 left... Just gotta take care of business and salt this away...

Weston Ranch faces Clovis East next...

I think Weston Ranch has started to get things going a little bit, as evidenced by a 1-point loss to an excellent Branson club... But is that little bit enough to deal with a solid Clovis East squad? Should be a good game if the “good side” of the Ranch shows up...

First thing I notice about WR is they have 11 guys dressed rather then the 7 or 8 they had for the last Gridley game...

William Wiggens of ClovEast just pulled the old “baseline-out-of-bounds-off-the-defender’s-back” play... Niiiiiice... 9-6 ClovEast early on...

That off-the-back play? Wiggins tried it again later, but Gavin Wilburn was waiting for it and picked it off... Didn’t help, tho.... it’s 20-10 ClovEast after one q.

WR time out... 29-20 with ClovEast in front, tho WR appears to be “speeding them up” a bit...

That Wiggins kid can *play* this game!

36-23, WR getting worked at the moment...

Wilburn with one heckuva dunk in traffic on the break.. WR fans worked up beyond belief... and the team is responding! But it’s still ClovEast in front, 36-29 as the half ends.

WR starts with a quick mini-run and causes ClovEast coach to call a TO. 36-33, 7:05 left in 3rd.

48-44 ClovEast to end the 3rd...

Highlight of the 3rd was a tremendous backboard-pin swat of Wiggins by Jordahn Johnson

53-48 now, Ranch playing hard jusssst can’t quite make the plays... 4:59 left.

WR gets close, but can never quite get over the hump... They were within 3 a couple times, but that’s close as they can get. 47.5 seconds left now, 64-57 ClovEast.

Wilburn STEALS the inbound! Drives, scored, hacked... FT good. 64-63, but WR fouls on the inbounds... 1 and 1 for Wiggins. 13 secs left... first good, second MISS!! And he FOULS the rebounder!! 65-63, WR shooting 1 and 1... MISS!! And Wilburn rebounds and puts it back to tie! ClovEast has about 5 seconds to rush it downcourt and take a shot, but can’t do it.... FREE BASKETBALL!! 65 all.

WR scores on first OT possession, ClovEast comes right back and scores... and makes the FT. 68-67 ClovEast... WR scores a pair of FT’s of its own. 69-68 WR. But they foul, ClovEast at line double bonus... miss, good. 69 all.

Sweet Wilburn pass leads to a WR score... 71-69. ClovEast time out after rebounding their own missed 3. 1:45 left in OT.

Wilburn fouled, double bonus, makes first and second... 4-point WR lead. 1:26 left.

ClovEast sinks 2 FT’s, but WR answers with a driving layup... 75-71, WR in front. And Wilburn at line. Sinks 1, misses, rebounding foul... 76-71, ClovEast at line, bingo, bingo. 76-73. WR scores inside again, 78-73. More FT’s for WR after a ClovEast miss, both good. 80-73, put ‘er in the books...

Final score after more FT’s.... 82-75. Could this be that “big win” that shakes WR loose from its own mental prison? Guess who they play next... the mighty Campo Cougars...

So now we have the host Crusaders vs. James Logan... Logan’s always hard to figure out. Lost their first 3, then won their next four to be 4 and 3.

I believe Thompson has sunk 6 bombs and something like 23 points. Heading to scorers table...

39-38 Logan with 4:33 left in the 3rd... Another bomb was dropped by Thompson... I think he has 25.

74-48 final...

MC has a lot of really good young players.. a freshman and at least a couple sophs played, and played well.

The nightcap will be Vanden vs. Clovis West

Vanden’s a bit of a surprise team this year, and Clovis West is a perennial Fresno powerhouse...

So far, the answer is: These two teams are toughhhhh.... 12-10 CloWest, Vanden has the rock with 22 seconds left in the quarter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT