ADVERTISEMENT

Most dominant prep players you've ever seen/played against?

Can't believe nobody has said this guy yet.
Devante Adams (Paly) - Their State Championship team was loaded beyond belief and would have very likely given DLS a run for their money. Not surprised he is arguably the most dominate WR in the NFL today.

Devante Adams (Paly) - Their State Championship team was loaded beyond belief and would have very likely given DLS a run for their money. Not surprised he is arguably the most dominate WR in the NFL today.

How many watched or played against him here ? Probably not many

The thing with Davante was he has obviously become one of the top players in the NFL, but was he viewed that way in HS? Maybe it was a miss, but it could also be a player who was good in high school and kept getting better through college and into the NFL.

Reactions: remc and Bubba3000
How come no one mentions Jared Goff? I don't hear the North Bay guys ever mention him. Serious question.

They are probably letting his pro career affect what he did in high school
Probably. But he has been a pretty decent pro IMO overall.

Maybe because he played for a lesser known, small high school? I am betting that's it. No one mentions him or the school.

Tom Brady? Well, no. The greatest and most successful QB in the history of football did not wow all of the big-time college scouts and his two Serra varsity seasons did not set the world on fire by any stretch of the imagination. He was actually viewed more as a baseball prospect as a power-hitting catcher. But, with the considerable tutoring assistance of the late Tom Martinez (then coaching at the College of San Mateo near the Brady home in San Mateo), young Tom honed his craft, focused on Martinez' emphasis on fundamentals and muscle memory and became what we see today.

Reactions: Defense_Rules
Tom Brady? Well, no. The greatest and most successful QB in the history of football did not wow all of the big-time college scouts and his two Serra varsity seasons did not set the world on fire by any stretch of the imagination. He was actually viewed more as a baseball prospect as a power-hitting catcher. But, with the considerable tutoring assistance of the late Tom Martinez (then coaching at the College of San Mateo near the Brady home in San Mateo), young Tom honed his craft, focused on Martinez' emphasis on fundamentals and muscle memory and became what we see today.
What about how Michigan pretty much missed the bus on him too!? No one even mentions that! Thoughts?

The NFL regarded Brady as a rather mediocre prospect as well. Even the Patriots waited until pick No.199 in the sixth round to select him. Brady may well be the most grossly under-rated and under-the-radar prep and college player ever. Evaluating young athletes as to their future is far from an exact science.

Reactions: Bubba3000
The NFL regarded Brady as a rather mediocre prospect as well. Even the Patriots waited until pick No.199 in the sixth round to select him. Brady may well be the most grossly under-rated and under-the-radar prep and college player ever. Evaluating young athletes as to their future is far from an exact science.
So everyone got it wrong? Thoughts?

So everyone got it wrong? Thoughts?

The Brady physique, along with his various measurements in combines over the years, never inspired oohs and aahs from scouts, coaches, front office types and media brainiacs. They still don't. With his shirt off, he is more Barry Manilow than Barry Bonds. He was never a candidate for inclusion in "Manly Men of Massive Muscle" magazine. Beyond his obvious strong and accurate throwing arm, his other attributes (study habits, dedication, sheer will, leadership, competitive fire, toughness, etc.) don't show up on the metrics chart. There is one thing he has perfected through experience: A very quick and definitive release. Brady sees the field/defense pre-snap, takes a short drop and gets rid of the ball in a San Mateo second (or two). It has kept him in the NFL for what is approaching a generation. Amazing. No one, absolutely no one, saw anything like this coming way back in the early 1990's when Brady was struggling as a raw, rather awkward Serra freshman. It has been an incredible journey to watch and a great example for young QB's. Here's a poser which has been broached before: Would Patrick Walsh change his wide open, spread offense at Serra to accommodate the 1990's rather immobile and vastly incomplete version of Brady as his Padre QB?

Last edited:
Speaking of outstanding high school players I just discovered this about Granite Bay standout Cameron Smith. I met him and his dad at a Cal/Northwestern game 6 or 7 years ago. They seemed like really nice people and I’m glad he’s going to be OK.

Reactions: observer22 and remc
Troy Evans Hayward high Laney College. Seen a punt return he run maybe 200 yards made 22 tacklers miss and scored the TD. He was electric.

Austin Collie out of Oak Ridge in early 2000’s was incredible. The bee named in player of decade in 2010. He went on to set numerous records at BYU and played 5 years in NFL before retiring due to concussion issues.
What made him great in HS was he did everything. Kicked, WR, returned punts, played safety… never came off field.

How many watched or played against him here ? Probably not many

Actually there are quite a few members here that were actively watching and following during that time and for that team. There was a lot of buzz that built up throughout the season for PALY. We had one particular member pushing Kevin Anderson as NPOTY most the season which Dano Graves eventually won.

As for how many played against Devante Adams, I’d agree with your assessment. Probably not many,

I liked Adams a lot during his HS days. But I’d be lying if I said I foresaw the success and career he’s enjoying now. He’s clearly a player that has superseded the expectations of most avid viewers and talent evaluators. He surely wasn’t highly recruited. But was drafted fairly high after his development and production at Fresno State.

Last edited:
Tyrese was 1982 All-Mercury News as a RB. Went to Nebraska. But in the same year, Eric Hawkins from Wilcox was also named All Mercury News as a RB. He also went to Nebraska. Man amongst boys they say. But Eric didn't play because he tore up his knee in his senior year. I believe Tom Osborne still honored his scholarship. Would've been cool to see Tyrese and Eric in the backfield at Nebraska.
I just heard about Tyrese passing and remember how great a player he was and how special football was back in 1982. two guys from this section or anywhere being recruited by the number one team in the country is rare. Hawkins
I've followed CCS guys mostly, so more of them than other locations. In no particular order:

George Ebertin (Bells): Still the best Defensive player I ever saw. Too bad injuries ruined his college career.
Blazin Hazen Choates (Seaside) QB who was next to impossible to catch and had gun for arm
Marty Mornhinweg (OG): Could make every throw
Tyreese Knox (Jefferson): Fast
Pat Tillman (Leland)::RIP
Junior Seau (Oceanside): Lucky enough to see him his Senior year in HS down in Oceanside. Phenomenal athlete.
Antwon Guidry (Leigh): Wow!
Usua Amanam (Bells): Was not big, but wow was he quick.
Jeff Schweiger (VC): Thought he was going to make it to pros
Charles Tharp (SF): Couldnt bring him down
Andre Carter (OG): So big, so fast.
Jim Wahler (Bells): How many DT run 110 Hurdles in HS?
Travis McHugh (Bells): Not even College talent, but from HS perspective this kid controlled the game.
Kevin Willhite: (Rancho Cordova): Didnt see his brother in HS, but Kevin had incredible speed.
DJ Williams (DLS): whole package
MMD (DLS): with his size, never thought he would have such a successful pro career
Shaq Thompson: Could play every position in HS and dominate
what did you think about Hawkins from Wilcox same year as. Knox?

Jack Del Rio from Hayward High was one of the best.
We know about his football prowess, but you had to see it to believe it how good of a basketball player he was. A6'4" ,235 lb guard, with that kind of agility and athleticism

Reactions: kiddman32
Me either. I thought he was decent at best. But he didn't come from a very well know HS. Maybe that was it?
I think you are uninformed, intentionally or unintentionally. Marin Catholic has been a known football program for awhile. Jared Goff was well known coming up through the HS ranks and nationally ranked by the time his career was over. His success is more than I would have thought, but that miss wasn't because of the high school he came from.

Im not going to say dominant but wanted to throw out there Teddye Buchanan from SI was productively talented/skilled as a "I havent seen a player like this before" level. A duel-threat QB/superb Defensive End.

I think you are uninformed, intentionally or unintentionally. Marin Catholic has been a known football program for awhile. Jared Goff was well known coming up through the HS ranks and nationally ranked by the time his career was over. His success is more than I would have thought, but that miss wasn't because of the high school he came from.
I am not uniformed. It is a tiny HS according to the stats available online. The context behind my comment is that he didn't play for one of the big programs in NorCal, possibly suggesting the lesser notoriety for a future NFL #1 pick.

And he is hardly ever talked about on here, and IMO one of the more successful NFLers to come out of NorCal for some time.

Thoughts?

We know about his football prowess, but you had to see it to believe it how good of a basketball player he was. A6'4" ,235 lb guard, with that kind of agility and athleticism
You bet... I know I've mentioned in other places on NCP before, but he sank a shot to win an NCS game had had to be seen to be believed! Game clock running down, Hayward down by one... Ball gets away, heading out-of-bounds on the baseline... Del Rio dives for it, and with body parallel to the ground, turns and fires... Buzzer goes, ball flies over the corner of the backboard... and IN! Game over, Hayward on to the next round... Incredible.

Reactions: concrete17
As a kid I remember watching Brad Muster who was also a 1st round nfl pick at San Marin high he was a beast running kids over

From a special teams kick/punt returner perspective, Riordan’s Aidan Verba-Hamilton was amazing. He had the uncanny vision, shiftiness and breakaway speed to take it to house every time he touched the ball. Teams that couldn’t kick it into end zone simply squib kicked and he still found a way to score.

Goff (MC) vs Scooby Wright (newman) in NCS was all time great game. You could see how special Goff was that game. Two of the truly great medium size programs in calif.

You bet... I know I've mentioned in other places on NCP before, but he sank a shot to win an NCS game had had to be seen to be believed! Game clock running down, Hayward down by one... Ball gets away, heading out-of-bounds on the baseline... Del Rio dives for it, and with body parallel to the ground, turns and fires... Buzzer goes, ball flies over the corner of the backboard... and IN! Game over, Hayward on to the next round... Incredible.
Wonder if there is any footage of this?

Let's go to the Way Way Back Machine for a moment: Gary Lewis, FB, Polytechnic (SF). Big, strong, fast, powerful. Lots of luck dealing with that guy (future NFL stud) as a teen in the late 1950's. Good heavens. He made everyone else look petite. He also dabbled in hoops, as a sort of interim exercise between football exploits. Can you say "formidable in the low post?"

Watched Live:

Somebody mentioned him earlier, Seaside QB Haezen-Choates (82?) was awesome. My dad took me to watch him play as a young lad vs Bellarmine in the CCS Championship Game.

Mike Kelly of Carmel was one of the best receivers I ever saw. It is shame there is not a lot of video of him. He would make some amazing catches. Led Carmel to a surprise 83 MTAL title.

Napoleon Kauffman, went to a Lompoc High Game in 1990 and by far the most dominate high school football player I saw live.

Played against-

Trent Dilfer while he was at Aptos. He was good, but no idea he would end up in the pros. They had a full back, Mike Bredy, who was a tank. He ended up at Cal Poly.

Chris Dalman of Palma was a very dominate lineman, went on to Stanford and the 49ers.

Eric Mahlum of Pacific Grove was a beast. They played him at TE and DE and he just beat kids up (myself included). Went on to Cal and spent 4 years with the Colts.

Ronnie Scott of Pacific Grove was a terrific RB who would just take over games. He was big and fast, ran like Erik Dickerson. Played for a while at SDSU.

Reactions: THEOC89
You Absolutely Nailed Three Of Those Guys, I saw Carnell run around, over, and through a good SRV team. Four years later I say Del Rio make 23 tackles against El Cerrito and the next guy on Defense that did it for me was DJ Williams. Have to throw in Armani Toomer who did some amazing things. The fastest guy I ever saw was Jahvid Best and it's not close.

Finally, Jack Del Rio might be the best athlete to ever come out of the Bay Area. He was a prep all-American in football and baseball and all state in basketball.
Ben BurrKirvan Sacred Heart prep, 2014 OPEN Div champs, not bad for a school with 250 boys, DIV 3 POY, Pac 12 Def POY, Seattle Seahawks A man among boys

I always enjoy these conversations.

The most dominant player I've seen in the last decade was Shaq Thompson (Grant). He was one of hte most physically gifted players as a sophomore and only got better. Najee Harris (Antioch) will likely be neck and neck with him by the end of next year.

Top linemen up here are Khalil McKenzie, Eddie Vanderdoes and Jonah Williams. All were physically dominant and played with good motors. Guys who liked to dominate.

Top quarterbacks are Jake Browning (Folsom) and Willie Tuitama (St. Mary's-Stockton).

From watching all of the state bowls, the best player I saw from Southern California was Robert Woods (Serra-Gardena). Effortless athlete who made tough plays look routine.
I always thought a lot of Matt Grootegood of Mater Dei

Reactions: THEOC89
Jack Del Rio from Hayward High was one of the best.
Jack Del Rio was dominant in all 3 sports, Football, Basketball & Baseball. His Hayward High teams won 7 consecutive HAAL championships. Starting with Baseball his sophomore year, they then won league in all 3 sports his Junior & Senior seasons.
He was offered D1 scholarships in all 3 sports and was one of the most highly recruited Bay Area athletes ever. He finally decided on USC, where he was a 4 year starter in Football, and was the starting catcher on the Trojan Baseball team as well.

Reactions: THEOC89 and remc
Jack Del Rio was dominant in all 3 sports, Football, Basketball & Baseball. His Hayward High teams won 7 consecutive HAAL championships. Starting with Baseball his sophomore year, they then won league in all 3 sports his Junior & Senior seasons.
He was offered D1 scholarships in all 3 sports and was one of the most highly recruited Bay Area athletes ever. He finally decided on USC, where he was a 4 year starter in Football, and was the starting catcher on the Trojan Baseball team as well.
Along the lines of unbreakable records (like career wins record in MLB), will we have seen an athlete like Del Rio who excels in three sports?

Along the lines of unbreakable records (like career wins record in MLB), will we have seen an athlete like Del Rio who excels in three sports?
I remember a pair of 3 sport athletes from the same schoool.

I may be dating myself a bit, but I remember watching Channing Williams and Ricky Jordan absolutely dominate football, basketball, and baseball for Grant in the early 80s. If I remember correctly, Williams was RB and Jordan a TE. Don’t ask me why I remember this, but have vague memory of Jordan and Williams choosing a class trip to Disneyland over Grant’s SJS championship baseball playoff game. Any old-timers have that memory?
Williams played in a Rose Bowl with Arizona State and maybe had a cup of coffee in the NFL or CFL, Jordan had a decent career in MLB with the Phillies.
Marc Hicks was playing for Davis about that time, and amongst top RBs in the nation (think he got a ride to Georgia)?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT