ADVERTISEMENT

Most dominant prep players you've ever seen/played against?

Football speed is much different than track times.
I'm well aware. Have you seen his film from HS and Cal? Please do yourself a favor. The guy was the fastest player in college football- faster than Desean Jackson. Lewis was fast. The other guy is just different. I'm never going to convince you until you watch some tape. The thing about Best was he was a football player who ran track- not the other way around.

I'm well aware. Have you seen his film from HS and Cal? Please do yourself a favor. The guy was the fastest player in college football- faster than Desean Jackson. Lewis was fast. The other guy is just different. I'm never going to convince you until you watch some tape. The thing about Best was he was a football player who ran track- not the other way around.
I have seen him play live and yes he is definitely a speedster, but in my eyes Lewis had a burst also. I never saw him get caught in the open field.

Actually Lewis ran a 10.49.
Again, Lewis was fast but Best was elite fast. Not going to change your mind. Both are fast but their is a reason one of them went first round. Elite speed. Merry Christmas!

Again, Lewis was fast but Best was elite fast. Not going to change your mind. Both are fast but their is a reason one of them went first round. Elite speed. Merry Christmas!
It had nothing to do with football. We are talking about preps anyways! Merry Xmas to you as well.

Wasn't Brian the trainer involved in the Roger Clemens fiasco? Yeah, Mark was a stud back in the day.
Big huge Mac was in the bro house with Macy. His boa got loose in the apt, we stuffed towels under our doors so it wouldn't get us at night. We found behind the bathroom sink wrapped around the hot to keep warm. Best Mark story was when he traded in his clunker Opel GT with the seat welded back for his 7' frame. In April he pulled up in a 911 and we said "Where'd you get that?" "Converse." Pure Mark, one word answer.
He outplayed Wallace Bryant of USF twice to go a few spots ahead in the first round.
Got a ring with Dr J rookie year.

When Oakland Tech came to Saint Mary's Berkeley to play us years ago Marshawn Lynch was ridiculous.

Reactions: remc
Played in the Monterey area, so my played against list isn't all that impressive, but a few that Come to mind are Luke Lipincott (Palma HS, was a RB at Nevada during the Kaep years), Chad Bozzo (Palma HS, SJSU), Henry Utumapu (Seaside HS) and Ronnie Drummer (North Salinas HS, Duke). Also played against Carl Nicks and Dwight Lowery at the JC level when they were at Hartnell and Cabrillo.

I already mentioned best players I have seen (best DJ Williams and Kevin Simon DLS). Best player I played against as a LB at Palma in high school was Anthony Tony, North Salinas High RB who played at Arkansas and Philadelphia Eagles. All the Monterey Bay players listed above were great high school players. Bozzo only played QB and later QB at SJSU, but probably could have played RB and DB in college. He was one of the top athletes at the NorCal Nike camp at the time. Lippencott and Bozzo were the top all around athletes ever in my opinion to come out of Palma all though a couple others that were in their class.

Tyrese was 1982 All-Mercury News as a RB. Went to Nebraska. But in the same year, Eric Hawkins from Wilcox was also named All Mercury News as a RB. He also went to Nebraska. Man amongst boys they say. But Eric didn't play because he tore up his knee in his senior year. I believe Tom Osborne still honored his scholarship. Would've been cool to see Tyrese and Eric in the backfield at Nebraska.
I just heard about Tyrese passing and remember how great a player he was and how special football was back in 1982. two guys from this section or anywhere being recruited by the number one team in the country is rare. Hawkins never made it, Nebraska had the Niners doctors do the surgery on his knee, ended up with like 13 operations on that knee. Finished at SJSU a 4.4 monster who could only run straight, a lil left or right there went the knee. We followed Tyrese and always endeared the same thing about those two guys in the same backfield…

When Oakland Tech came to Saint Mary's Berkeley to play us years ago Marshawn Lynch was ridiculous.
When I was at SM Rickey Henderson played RBI's for Tech. Crazy he ended up in baseball because he was a helluva running back. Way better football player than baseball player. D1 prospect

Reactions: concrete17
DeLaSalles' DJ Williams was a beast in high school! Best player I saw in person. Menlo's John Paye @ QB was also one of the best HS players to come out of the Peninsula.

I think he’s selling real estate in Folsom area these days. Playing in the triple option Dano did not wear a skirt like most quarterbacks. He was money on third or fourth and one with the QB keeper between the center and guard damn near automatic first down
Some of his old highlights are still out on YouTube. Some good stuff for memory lane!

lance briggs
jeremiah pharms
onterrio smith
donte stallworth
schea cotton - first time i saw a guys head level with the rim

Some of his old highlights are still out on YouTube. Some good stuff for memory lane!

because of triple option he fought for every yard that’s where I would see his strength and toughness very rugged kid to only weigh about a buck seventy five at D1 level. He Also threw a pretty ball just a winner all the way around.

Last edited:
Reactions: pastyfastquick3
lance briggs
jeremiah pharms
onterrio smith
donte stallworth
schea cotton - first time i saw a guys head level with the rim
We must be the same age because that is my played against list. The other player i would list is Pharms teammate Antuan Simmons. Pac10 freshman of the year at USC before injuries derailed him. Also add Matt Barnes to that list.

Reactions: coachlittle
When I was at SM Rickey Henderson played RBI's for Tech. Crazy he ended up in baseball because he was a helluva running back. Way better football player than baseball player. D1 prospect

I think Ricky made the right choice in hindsight. ;)

He’s a HOF’er with over 3K hits, an MVP award, stolen base records, and was part of a couple WS title teams.

Doubtful his accomplishments in football beyond HS would have ever rivaled that.

Reactions: observer22
I'd like to cast a vote for Khalil McKenzie. When he was able to be on the field, it looked like a man against boys.
Seems like name dropping here. He had moments but that was it but not best. I think he would fall more under the guy you thought would dominate but didn’t.

Seems like name dropping here. He had moments but that was it but not best. I think he would fall more under the guy you thought would dominate but didn’t.
Not sure your point but my son hung with him just fine certainly didn’t get dominated by him

Bubba- I don't think Truthhertz comments have any thing to do with how your son fared against McKenzie. Many on this board have sons or daughters that played in college but they don't continually reference their child. Not trying to be hurtful - but it is probably time to start to let go of your living through your son and his accomplishments.

Bubba- I don't think Truthhertz comments have any thing to do with how your son fared against McKenzie. Many on this board have sons or daughters that played in college but they don't continually reference their child. Not trying to be hurtful - but it is probably time to start to let go of your living through your son and his accomplishments.
I didn’t ask for your opinion or advice, for all I know Truthhertz and Prepwisdon could be one in the same.

One of the best single games I saw was Vei Moala of Grant in the state bowl against Long Beach Poly. Was a dominant force in the Pacers’ win that night

Yes he was. He was not only huge, but way stronger than practically everyone else. IIRC he set and may still own the CAL bench press record.

Those Pacers defenses from 2008 through 2010 were unreal. Vei was one of the reasons why.

Ask 2009 State Champ Bellevue who was shutout in Seattle. It was so, so difficult to run on them. Getting time to sling it was equally difficult.

Not sure your point but my son hung with him just fine certainly didn’t get dominated by him
You’re making my point for me here then right? Topic most dominant player ever seen or played against. Why not name your kid then if he hung with Khalil just fine? So again it seemed more like name dropping since your follow reply was “my kid hung with him just fine” that does seem to me to be a ”most dominate” player. (Not knocking your kid in anyway here)

You’re making my point for me here then right? Topic most dominant player ever seen or played against. Why not name your kid then if he hung with Khalil just fine? So again it seemed more like name dropping since your follow reply was “my kid hung with him just fine” that does seem to me to be a ”most dominate” player. (Not knocking your kid in anyway here)
My kid did hang fine Khalil, but I don’t consider either one of them the best I’d ever seen.
Khalil was one of the most dominant I had seen at the high school level, but I also saw guys at football camps that were a little better than him. I try to see my kid for what he is, including his weaknesses. I’m pretty proud of how he played in high school getting a free five year education and a college degree. I’m also proud of the fact he made all conference in college twice while playing on a team that lost more games than they won. Most people probably don’t know this but my son tore the MCL and PCL in his knee the summer before his senior season and never got surgery for a pretty serious injury. He played six more years wearing a knee brace and the most he ever weighed in college was 280, which was actually pretty common for a lineman playing in the triple option. Watching him play from the age of 8 until his senior year at age 23 was a real blessing.

Last edited:
My kid did hang fine Khalil, but I don’t consider either one of them the best I’d ever seen.
Khalil was one of the most dominant I had seen at the high school level, but I also saw guys at football camps that were a little better than him. I try to see my kid for what he is, including his weaknesses. I’m pretty proud of how he played in high school getting a free five year education and a college degree. I’m also proud of the fact he made all conference in college twice while playing on a team that lost more games than they won. Most people probably don’t know this but my son tore the MCL and PCL in his knee the summer before his senior season and never got surgery. He played six more years wearing a knee brace and the most he ever weighed in college was 280, which was actually pretty common for a lineman playing in the triple option. Watching him play from the age of 8 until his senior year at age 23 was a real blessing.
Glad to see point flew right over your head here, I expect nothing less from you. Topic isn’t and was never about your kid. If you drop Khalil’s name to somehow inject your kid “hung” with him and then prattle on about you son’s accomplishments great, glad I could help. But again topic is “most” dominate player you played with or saw. You now are openly saying that‘s not Khalil? WTF. I said seems like name dropping and you’re confused. Also understand I’m not knocking your son it’s great he parlayed football into a education etc. I also don’t knock you for being a proud dad there isn’t enough around today. ✌️

Reactions: Prepwisdom
Glad to see point flew right over your head here, I expect nothing less from you. Topic isn’t and was never about your kid. If you drop Khalil’s name to somehow inject your kid “hung” with him and then prattle on about you son’s accomplishments great, glad I could help. But again topic is “most” dominate player you played with or saw. You now are openly saying that‘s not Khalil? WTF. I said seems like name dropping and you’re confused. Also understand I’m not knocking your son it’s great he parlayed football into a education etc. I also don’t knock you for being a proud dad there isn’t enough around today. ✌️
The post where I mentioned McKenzie was literally years ago and I didn’t bring him up as an excuse to talk about my kid then or now. You’re definitely one of the most passive aggressive posters in the history of this forum. Whatever floats your boat.……

The post where I mentioned McKenzie was literally years ago and I didn’t bring him up as an excuse to talk about my kid then or now. You’re definitely one of the most passive aggressive posters in the history of this forum. Whatever floats your boat.……
First I saw of this was thread was today. I saw KM mentioned and was like what? Frankly it doesn’t matter when you posted it today, last week, or 5 years ago. He wasn’t the most dominate HS player at any point. And understand I’m not being aggressive with you, and if trying to be polite is passive to you so be it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT