ADVERTISEMENT

NCS D4

northbaybbguru

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Aug 2, 2013
San Francisco Bay Area
ok......the final 4 is set......

The consensus best 4 teams are left playing.....GREAT matchups!!

#1 SMB vs. #4 Piedmont...

#2 Salesian vs. #3 CN...

1v4....Piedmont has been balling coming down the stretch...Beat Berkeley, battled O'Dowd to the wire...has Dennis made that big
of a difference? Good guards for Piedmont and good bigs....Moseley for SMB and role players.,...is that enough? Upset?

2v3.....GREAT GREAT GREAT matchup....very good Salesian guards vs. very good CN bigs.....HUGE advantages for both teams...

any thoughts??? predictions??

next weds....march 4th....

Coach Guru

# 4 Piedmont vs # 2 Salesian for the championship !!!
Salesian WINS a tight game D4 Champions !?!?!?

This post was edited on 3/1 3:58 AM by luvthegame21

If SMB can beat Salesian,they can beat Piedmont,though Piedmont is playing better than anyone right now.But beating Salesian also gave SMB a huge psychological boost.SMB vs Salesian in the final.

Both of these games are tossups to me. Newman has been on a tear but league play was not quality this year. I wouldn't be surprised if its Piedmont and Newman.

In my opinion Salesian and SMB in the final for NCS D4 sections championship. I'm pick Salesian over SMB because I think Salesian took SMB a little lightly last time the play. Salesian have already beaten SMB twice and taught they could just walk on the court and win. That's Salesian cockiness beat them last time wont happen to them again after they was brought back to earth.

Tend to agree baller,but no reason Salesian should have been cocky.The first game was a 3 point win in a game SMB led 80% of the game.Salesian won the next game by11,but SMB simply couldnt hit a shot,and Salesian didnt play particularly well either.Yes,Salesian has had SMB`s number the last 2years,but they have been fortunate too.I think SMB breaks through again.

Don't underestimate Newman. Well Coached, can play fast or slow, great FT shooting team and with those bigs , dominating on the boards. Only question is playoff experience. Lots of Sophs and Freshmen. Get used to seeing them around for a few years.

Totally agree with last poster. It will not be a walk in the park for Salesian against Newman. Newman does something that most of these bay area teams don't. Shoots exceptionally well, makes FT's, scores off there offense, and has legit post players. Salesian and St Mary's get going off there D. Turnovers will kill Newman. Protect the ball and convert on the other end and this should be close.

Tell me the game isn't at the cracker jack box gym in Richmond. Usually they end up playing at Albany HS. (I hope so). That small gym favors quick teams.

not saying its a walk in the park but a double digit win for Salesian because of the pressure they are going to put on guards in the press.

The game is at Albany HS which has a nice gym. I just don't see a double digit game by Salesian. But neither team matches up very well. One has speed and quickness and the other has good bigs. Newman is probably a year away from a legit state title run.

larry legend33 posted on 3/1/2015...
Totally agree with last poster. It will not be a walk in the park for Salesian against Newman. Newman does something that most of these bay area teams don't. Shoots exceptionally well, makes FT's, scores off there offense, and has legit post players. Salesian and St Mary's get going off there D. Turnovers will kill Newman. Protect the ball and convert on the other end and this should be close.

Tell me the game isn't at the cracker jack box gym in Richmond. Usually they end up playing at Albany HS. (I hope so). That small gym favors quick teams.

larry legend33 Bird

In my experience the smaller courts benefit slower teams !?!? the bigger the court teams with speed its to their advantage more room to run........!?!? you don't want Salesian or any team with talent and speed??? Newman is too slow.

I should have said narrow courts favor pressing teams. Easier to get trapped and length and quickness make few passes angles. But it doesn't matter. Game is at Albany at HS.

I disagree with luvthegame. Salesian would have had a tremendous advantage at their gym because it would be a lot easier to trap the Newman guards on a smaller court. Newman's big can now be easier release points for their press break. Newman plays very good defense and there really is only one player that is "too slow". Advantage is still with Salesian but it is not as much an advantage. Remember Salesian and Newman scrimmaged in Napa at the beginning of the season(McNair was not there) and Newman handled Salesian. Newman had a bad 3 game stretch after losing a 4th quarter lead to Eastside Prep in Piedmont. The frosh and soph players were forced to grow up and, in my opinion, have. If Newman has patience and runs their offense, they win. They need to limit fast break opportunities. If Salesian is forced to make shots.........as far as Piedmont versus SMB goes, it's all about who plays harder. Li is awesome and if bigs can handle Moseley, Piedmont wins too. At the end of the day , NCS is the front runner, again, to represent NorCal for the State Championship.

This post was edited on 3/1 6:10 PM by winetot

Winetot

Salesian would have the advantage on any size court in my opinion only !?!? Salesian is a pressing trapping team that relies on turnovers to get into transition for easy baskets !!! Bigger court more transition baskets I have seen both teams play. Newmen cant run with Salesian ? now if some how they break the press slow the game down keep the game under 55 points they have a chance !?!? but I don't see that happening !?!? just my opinion..................... Salesian wins by 10

A bigger court favors the NON pressing team because the pressing team has more court to cover.

CN cant run with Salesian? I don't disagree.... well then I guess its a good thing this isn't track and field ;-)

Of the 4 teams left in D4.... CN plays without a doubt the most disciplined best man to man D.

How all of this translates to the court? We will find out on weds.

Newman is very big. If they can win the boards on both ends of the court and handle the press for the most part they could pull the upset.

So basically SMB is the worst team of the 4? That's what I'm getting from it.

snacks- I think you have a situation where any of these teams left can beat anybody on a given night. So I wouldt say SMB is the worse by any means. Not many situations arise like this. At this point Salesian in the favorite but the gap is very narrow.
Can't wait.

Somehow SMB ended up with the #1seed.? Not according to this thread.Talk about a lack of respect.

Maybe they will get respect after they whoop up on Piedmont & Salesian to win D4. Mosley & her so called role players will be champs!

They got the #1 seed by losing 2 of 3 games to Salesian. Lack of respect? Really?

Salesian wins 2 of 3 but was give the #2 seed but should have been the #1 seed. They will when out right for the 3rd time this year and people think different will be prove wrong. Like they say 3 times a charm !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Salesian may have gotten the #2 seed but SMB is facing the hottest, the healthiest and most confident team in Piedmont. Until someone other than Salesian or SMB makes the finals in D4 they are the favorites. It will take a lot to change that.

Piedmont better bring their A game because SMB is playing really well and their D is on point. Watched Piedmont in last game and I don't think they will handle the heat SMB is going to bring. All these girls know each other. It will be fun to watch. Can't wait for game night.

This post was edited on 3/2 9:02 AM by jbvilla

Salesian and SMB have by far the better resume's this year.....they both have excellent wins in their early season.

That being said I'm a matchup guy and I just like the matchups for Piedmont and CN.

I've watched Salesian play 5 times this year, Piedmont 7 times and CN 20 + times.

I will admit I've only seen SMB once...so perhaps I caught them on a bad game.

Salesian and SMB are guard oriented dribble drive type teams. Piedmont and CN's size are bad matchups.

Piedmont has 2 d1 guards to go along with 2 decent bigs and now the return of Dennis.....
honestly I think they are the team to beat.

BALLER is correct...CN guards need to handle Salesians pressure....IF IF IF they do? CN will win that game.

If CN guards turn the ball over and Salesian gets out running for easy buckets...Salesian wins...

If CN limits the turnovers and forces Salesian to get into a half court game Salesian will be in trouble.

unless you plan on dribble drive vs 3 potential D1 bigs...6'4, 6'3 and 6'0....

No TEAM is being disrespected....I think that SMB and Salesian are so used to running thru D4 unchecked that the fact that a couple

of other teams are right there with them this year has the SMB/Salesian fans feeling disrespected because its not unconditional

love towards THEIR teams. Well the McDonalds All Americans are gone....the gap has been closed.....and both games are toss ups.

Cant wait until weds!!!!!

Winetot,the seeming lack of respect is coming from the tone of the posts in the thread,not from the seeding.IMO,Salesian should have been seeded #1,but thats another story..As another poster pointed out,the tone of the thread s that SMB is the worst of the teams,and yet they are the #1 seed..Unusual that a #1 seed seems to be the least regarded of the four.And they may very well lose,certainly not saying they are a lock,that game vs Piedmont is going to be a war.

remc -

Cardinal Newman is the #1 seed on the boys side as well and I bet you that they are perceived as the least likely to win the section. Both games should be extremely competitive. I agree with Scout that Salesian and SMB are the favorites but are not automatic winners for the first time in about 4 years.
This post was edited on 3/2 11:52 AM by winetot

To be the best...you have to beat the best....

Salesian and SMB have been the big dogs for yrs...the road to the NCS championship rightly goes thru them.

This year there are 2 worthy adversaries for both...

By far the best/most competitive/most intriguing final 4 of all the NCS divisions....

If we think Salesian or SMB is going to overlook their next opponent, we would be wrong. The Panthers/ Pride for round 4 is my call.

The Panthers have lost one of their key players to injury. Losing your assist leader and #1 3 point shooter may cause some problems.

Wow,didnt know that.But,since everyone says SMB is Mosely and a bunch of role players,maybe they can just plug another role player in there.But that loss could be key.

She has not played in the last two games including against Salesian. It has not stopped them yet.

Well thats good news.You just hate to be at less than full strength this deep in the playoffs.And the rest of the girls on that team deserve more credit,they are more than just Mosely,though she is very good.

Mosely is very good. She deserves all the accolades she gets. I think the other girls will be known for more than just role players after these playoff are over. A couple of these role players already have D1 scholarship offers.

This post was edited on 3/4 10:56 AM by jbvilla

Dont take it personal every team has role players ?!?! Even Moseley has her role being the leader of her team ?!?!

Has SMB played against any size the last 2 games their best shooter has been out? If they cant dribble drive to the hoop to score
and they don't have their best 3 pt shooter....Piedmont will pack in that zone with a couple of 6+ft. girls manning the middle, limiting SMB ability to get to the hoop and make SMB shoot/score from the outside....not having your best 3pt shooter will hurt.

like I keep saying...its all about matchups...I'm curious to see what happens tonight.
This post was edited on 3/4 2:04 PM by northbaybbguru

What happened with SMB / Piedmont?
Bad matchup for the Panthers?
Piedmont's guards?
Mosely and "them"?
Alleged best shooter and ball handler out for the Panthers?

31 is a big margin for a game where SMB doesn't have the size, speed, shooting to beat Piedmont's guards, size, and zone defense....

Counter what Guru says...It's never about the match-ups. It's always about imposing your style of play upon your opponent. If you approach a game concerned about the match-ups you are already defeated. Of course, you do have to understand some degree of the strength of the opposition, but being overly concerned with match-ups is a losing approach, Impose your style of play, and make the opponent react to you.

One writer often likes to say "speed kills", well so does size, discipline, and a lot of other things. Focus on getting the most out of the talent you have and you will do much better than concerning yourself with the speed or size of your opponent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT