ADVERTISEMENT

Nigel Burris is transferring to Mitty

I saw that. This was made more for site maintenance to hopefully avoid it taking over other thread.

Projected WCAL season-opening lineups* (*Upon transfer(s) eligibility)
Bellarmine
Denker 6-1 Sr. PG
Ruth 6-2 Sr. G
Elam 6-6 Sr. F
Cole 6-5 Sr. F/C
Kiachian 6-9 Jr. C

Mitty
Greene 6-2 Sr. PG
Mitchell 6-2 Jr. SG
Sapp 6-4 Sr. G/F
Burris 6-6 Jr. F *
Bhandal 6-8 Jr C

Riordan
Monroe 5-11 Sr. PG
Clark 6-3 Sr. G
Riiny 6-9 Sr. SF
Vaihola 6-6 Jr. F *
Mor 7-0 So. C *

That league is going to pound on each other every night which teams will stay healthy
and have enough gas heading into section and norcal playoffs to put together a deep run will be very interesting to watch unfold.

No matter where it is , I am glad Mitty will be highly ranked and favored. Someone won't be playing with a torn meniscus this season lord willing . Hoop over Hype any day.
On second thought, I'd like to see the Riordan home game vs Mitty at the Crusader Forum. Back in the Drew Gordon Era, then AD - Ron Isola, set up on the floor courtside seats. I recall it was almost a standing room only crowd with the band set up on temporary stands on the far end area. That was the Rob Jones-Jorge Camacho team that upset the Monarchs that night at the Forum. Great night of HS hoops!

Reactions: Renard Monroe
As heartbroken as I am right now, I wish Nigel and his family nothing but the best going forward.

Sheldon will be much bigger but could make the case Mitty has the better guards. Looks like all the top teams outside of maybe Campo have gotten transfers. Any word on if the Pope kid is officially at De La Salle?

Sheldon will be much bigger but could make the case Mitty has the better guards. Looks like all the top teams outside of maybe Campo have gotten transfers. Any word on if the Pope kid is officially at De La Salle?

Barring injuries both Riordan and Mitty should be competing in the Open Division. And IMO both are the top two teams in all of Northern California. I'd rank em ahead of Sheldon personally.

Winning in the Open division is tough especially on the road! Nobody on the Mitty roster or Riordan roster has won an open division game. Sheldon and Modesto Christian have multiple guys that have. Experience definitely counts for something. We are along way from March!

I can't put anyone past Sheldon because they have proved themselves but saying that I have also witnessed some these players on the national scene. I know who has shown up and who haven't. Coaching plays a big role in all of this. Let the games begin and we will see who is who. Good season upon us. Best of luck to all.

2020 NorCal Open should be fantastic! Almost all the usual suspects look like they'll be even better this year, and despite that they will receive some real challenges throughout the season... It seems to me that some 15 teams or so have been mentioned in various spots on this forum as having a big shot at Open glory this year.

Whomever ends up getting the #1 seed will have one hell of an opponent in the #8 seed...

D1 will have quite a few "Jussssst-barely-missed-Open" teams in it too... That will also be one heck of a bracket!

Reactions: Crosstown Rival

My sources tell me Pope has enrolled at DLS. Four other kids also transferred from Freedom as well.

Does Nigel Burris live in San Francisco?

This is my only criticism of the move. You are taking a kid from San Francisco, and having him commute to San Jose and back every single day. Not only that, but as a junior you have SATs/ACTs to worry about, and he is going to have to sit out until mid-December. Having a kid move his junior year has to be extremely difficult. Junior year is what college's look at the most in terms of athletics and grades. Nigel will now have 8-10 less games to show his abilities on the court.

Still wish Nigel and his family the best, but this move is still perplexing to me to say the least. Stuart Hall is a great program, we have made a State Championship game, won the BCL West, 18-game win streak. And it still isn't enough........

No knowledge here, but why are you assuming Nigel and his family would still like in SF in this scenario? Again, I could be totally wrong, but my assumption would be he has moved to SJ.

Reactions: Jaw Knee
Mitty has better coaching, better players to practice against, plays in the WCAL and plays better competition overall. Besides University, the BCL is an extremely weak league. There was going to be no one on SH's team that can compete and challenge him in practice.

SH had a nice 2-3 year run. Cant compare SH to Mitty in anyway basketballwise. Im 99% sure Academics/ SAT/ ACT will not be an issue for the kid. Playing with other D1 players and the level of competition makes total sense.

Will Burris be eligible to play right away? How about the Riordan transfers? I know the CIF rules have loosened in the last few years. I'm guessing they would all be eligible as it doesn't seem to be a problem for transfers in SoCal.

That is big news. Jordan Pope is a high major talent. De La Salle’s sophomore class is the best out there. They will be young and super talented.

I dont know, maybe I'm just old school, yeah I get it, WCAL, huge nightly battles, but man. This kid has and is continuing to improve. He is already a D1 prospect. This is going to be one of the biggest season in city hoops in years, with his name at the top of conversations. After this season the city clearly would have been his. At least that's what I feel. Were just in the transfer era I guess, everybody cant be an Aaron Gordon, who could've left and went to Montverde, Findlay, or Oak Hill, IMG. And dont give me that what Mitty did for him stuff. He was one of the best players in the country since he was in the 8th grade, and a dead man knew that. WCAL will be insane this season.

Reactions: Renard Monroe
Pass first. WCAL is gonna be tough this year. Very Tough. Bellermine should be the favorite....
Also. The cabinet's in the city wont be bare next year after the class of 2020 moves on. Especially at 175 Phelan. But we won't talk about it for now.

I dont know, maybe I'm just old school, yeah I get it, WCAL, huge nightly battles, but man. This kid has and is continuing to improve. He is already a D1 prospect. This is going to be one of the biggest season in city hoops in years, with his name at the top of conversations. After this season the city clearly would have been his. At least that's what I feel. Were just in the transfer era I guess, everybody cant be an Aaron Gordon, who could've left and went to Montverde, Findlay, or Oak Hill, IMG. And dont give me that what Mitty did for him stuff. He was one of the best players in the country since he was in the 8th grade, and a dead man knew that. WCAL will be insane this season.

This is pure assumption, but since Burris attended Stuart Hall, his family is probably doing really well for themselves. If they are doing that commute instead of moving, then thats one mean commute. Or I would believe he would live at a teammate's residence to reduce the time spent commuting.

There's been a number of Mitty students that live on the other side of Hwy 17 and made the commute. Most recently Mitty star lady hoopster, Haley Jones, from Santa Cruz. A few seasons ago, they had profile of a Monarch FB player and recall he was from Capitola. SF-San Jose would be a hellish commute.

Reactions: NorCalBasketballFan
Stuart Hall has a tremendous grant program. Has helped a lot of students based on merit. Although school almost closed a few years ago. IF, he is still commuting from City, I put it on Mitty for undercutting all that is pure about high school athletics (or what it should be).
There is a history of kids from City going to St. Francis (for baseball). Even one to Bellarmine, but at least Bellarmine on Caltrain. If the parents commute to San Jose area for work, maybe. But otherwise, purely just for basketball, I dont blame the kid or his parents, but lose respect for Kennedy for going along.

Reactions: ayalar09
why would you loose respect for Kennedy.
If a top 20 player says he is transferring to your school..OR Wants to come to your school. And players in your program sign off on it and say we like this kid. And you know as a coach, he can contribute to your school/program. Are you gonna tell him no?

No you aren't. Kids transfer schools all the time. For lot of reasons. And they have been doing it for a long time. It's an individual/family decision.

Reactions: jordan24
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT