ADVERTISEMENT

Nigel Burris is transferring to Mitty

If anyone frets about transfers in the Bay Area, may we recommend a trip into the Southern Section where player movement is both routine and extensive. A recent study indicated that, this past school year, the six-school Trinity League alone had 273 transfers in all sports, both male and female. Mater Dei, not surprisingly, led the parade with 62. These numbers came from a study by the L.A. Times.

That sense of pride from being from an area and going to that school nearby because thats what your identity was is long gone. Athletically speaking. For academics it still rains somewhat true. You used to always count on that kid from the Mission or from Potrero Hill to go onto Riordan or SH and excel in sports. Nowadays youre wondering if that same kid is going to another school because of whatever reason you can think of. Sign of the times.

That sense of pride from being from an area and going to that school nearby because thats what your identity was is long gone. Athletically speaking. For academics it still rains somewhat true. You used to always count on that kid from the Mission or from Potrero Hill to go onto Riordan or SH and excel in sports. Nowadays youre wondering if that same kid is going to another school because of whatever reason you can think of. Sign of the times.
gentrification.......

Projected WCAL season-opening lineups* (*Upon transfer(s) eligibility)
Bellarmine
Denker 6-1 Sr. PG
Ruth 6-2 Sr. G
Elam 6-6 Sr. F
Cole 6-5 Sr. F/C
Kiachian 6-9 Jr. C

Mitty
Greene 6-2 Sr. PG
Mitchell 6-2 Jr. SG
Sapp 6-4 Sr. G/F
Burris 6-6 Jr. F *
Bhandal 6-8 Jr C

Riordan
Monroe 5-11 Sr. PG
Clark 6-3 Sr. G
Riiny 6-9 Sr. SF
Vaihola 6-6 Jr. F *
Mor 7-0 So. C *

Keep one thing in mind.....EVERYTHING the Mitty coach teaches is exactly what he learned from the best HS basketball coach in Nor Cal, Chuck Rapp, at Serra HS. Coach Kennedy from Mitty is a hell of a coach but he is a branch of the Chuck Rapp coaching tree. Coach Rapp gets more out of less talent every year. That is my definition of a coach of the year

Just much different times we are living in now each transfer siuation is different so you cant just be negative about it because some are done for valid reasons for the student and the family. back in the day you would have never saw a balboa high
kid teaming up with a woodrow Wilson kid
To play together at the same high school.
rivalries carried much more weight between the schools and in the neighborhood's
that you lived in.

people are prisoners of the moment. Transfers have been going on for years. I remember when Chris Munk left O'Connell and transferred to Riordan for his junior and senior year...Kately and Tofi Transferred into Riordan...

Laryan Russell transferred into Sacred Heart...In the 1980s Tony Jackson lived in Filllmore and went to Bishop Odowd...All these schools have had transfers and or kids leave the schools. Different situations for different kids.

Just much different times we are living in now each transfer siuation is different so you cant just be negative about it because some are done for valid reasons for the student and the family. back in the day you would have never saw a balboa high
kid teaming up with a woodrow Wilson kid
To play together at the same high school.
rivalries carried much more weight between the schools and in the neighborhood's
that you lived in.

Keep one thing in mind.....EVERYTHING the Mitty coach teaches is exactly what he learned from the best HS basketball coach in Nor Cal, Chuck Rapp, at Serra HS. Coach Kennedy from Mitty is a hell of a coach but he is a branch of the Chuck Rapp coaching tree. Coach Rapp gets more out of less talent every year. That is my definition of a coach of the year

Actually, wouldn't that really be The John Grosey Coaching Tree for both of the above?

Superle I like you you always have good basketball takes and knowledge but c'mon man stevie wonder would have left james O'Connell back in the day they were the laughing stock of AAA basketball in the city
Its all fun I did say in my statement that its not a negative thing and kids do leave leave for legimate reasons for the student and the family.
I was mainly speaking to the this era of going to team up with your buddy or AAU teammate
at the same high school.

Last edited:
O'Connell was good back then. They had the Tresvant brothers. They had talent. All AAA schools back then had talent. Players... They just weren't no match for Balboa and Wilson....

He (munk) came to Riordan to play on a bigger stage...Sound familiar....And again. Kids have been teaming up to play with friends/aau teammates for years. Thats how Lyryan Russell got to Sacred Heart. He was playing with his aau friends. Al Johnson and the guard that went and played at St Louis University. This is nothing new....It may just be accelerated now..And if people transfer fir basketball reasons. what's wrong with that You only got one shot at high school...But again. Things change and nothing will never be the same as they were 20 or 30 years ago. AND that can be a good thing...

Superle I like you you always have good basketball takes and knowledge but c'mon man stevie wonder would have left james O'Connell back in the day they were the laughing stock of AAA basketball in the city
Its all fun I did say in my statement that its not a negative thing and kids do leave leave for legimate reasons for the student and the family.
I was mainly speaking to the this era of going to team up with your buddy or AAU teammate
at the same high school.

Its all good superle and I am saying this as a dad whose own son wants to transfer to go run track with his buddy at another school.

why would you loose respect for Kennedy.
If a top 20 player says he is transferring to your school..OR Wants to come to your school. And players in your program sign off on it and say we like this kid. And you know as a coach, he can contribute to your school/program. Are you gonna tell him no?

No you aren't. Kids transfer schools all the time. For lot of reasons. And they have been doing it for a long time. It's an individual/family decision.
The question is why would a kid (presumably living in San Francisco) go to Mitty? There are plenty of quality programs in City and mid-peninsula that would not be a commuter nightmare. The young man will get the looks, regardless. I presume during off season, he plays with a number of Mitty players, he and his parents like them, one conversation leads to another and bingo. Who wouldnt want the talented kid on their roster?

Now if the parent's work in the area, O.K., moved closer, O.K. He has family/family friend he is moving in with, O.K. This is not college; it's high school. I'm I missing something. Otherwise, Kennedy is turning a blind eye for the sake of his success, not the young man's. Again, if the parents or he has relatives in the Mitty area, its a mute point. Bottom line, it's odd. For your reason you listed above (ie player sign off, contribute to your program, etc.) True, he doesnt have to say no, but a bigger coach would say, have you considered all your options closer to home. Because presumably, the pressure and the negative perception will be on Kennedy to approve the move.

Last edited:
So much of this conversation is based on speculation and a total lack of information it's painful. Then again, this is the internet. Anything goes. Facts are a mere formality. It's the narrative that counts.

Reactions: CityVibesII
its often said don't speak on the next person's money and how he spends it.

I am not gonna speak on the next man's move and it situation. As someone who knows the family, I don't know what resources they truly have. But i know they are not robbying Peter to pay Paul.

Hey they made the move and good for them. They probably looked at other options. This is what they choose to do. I hope it works out and the family Is happy and the young man lives and plays up to his potential....

I truly doubt he/they will be commuting back and forth to school 40/50Miles away everyday. That hurts even thinking about the travel time, traffic and long days.

The question is why would a kid (presumably living in San Francisco) go to Mitty? There are plenty of quality programs in City and mid-peninsula that would not be a commuter nightmare. The young man will get the looks, regardless. I presume during off season, he plays with a number of Mitty players, he and his parents like them, one conversation leads to another and bingo. Who wouldnt want the talented kid on their roster?

Now if the parent's work in the area, O.K., moved closer, O.K. He has family/family friend he is moving in with, O.K. This is not college; it's high school. I'm I missing something. Otherwise, Kennedy is turning a blind eye for the sake of his success, not the young man's. Again, if the parents or he has relatives in the Mitty area, its a mute point. Bottom line, it's odd. For your reason you listed above (ie player sign off, contribute to your program, etc.) True, he doesnt have to say no, but a bigger coach would say, have you considered all your options closer to home. Because presumably, the pressure and the negative perception will be on Kennedy to approve the move.

Its a definite head-scratcher solely because of the distance. Burris I wouldnt even consider him a top 50 bay area player and his addition to Mitty isnt really a difference maker. They were already a very good team. This just made them deeper. I dont believe that reigning POY Sapp and rising junior Mitchell are going to be sacrificing shots for the sake of Burris being there.

On another note I think there has been a slow down of Marin kids coming down to SI. Still a good number coming from up there.

Would love to know the percentage of actual SF boys at SI. Is it a majority?
Playing basketball who reside in City? Most years, no. The difference is most parents work in the City. It may be due to a new format, but SI on their web page used to list middle school/grammar school attended. Current site no.

Last edited:
people are prisoners of the moment. Transfers have been going on for years. I remember when Chris Munk left O'Connell and transferred to Riordan for his junior and senior year...Kately and Tofi Transferred into Riordan...

Laryan Russell transferred into Sacred Heart...In the 1980s Tony Jackson lived in Filllmore and went to Bishop Odowd...All these schools have had transfers and or kids leave the schools. Different situations for different kids.
Also, Paul Fortier transferred from Bridgemont to SI back in the early 80’s.

Reactions: superle
With the news of Devin Sapp transferring to a a prep school, the Nigel Burris move to Mitty looks better and better for him.

Its a definite head-scratcher solely because of the distance. Burris I wouldnt even consider him a top 50 bay area player and his addition to Mitty isnt really a difference maker. They were already a very good team. This just made them deeper. I dont believe that reigning POY Sapp and rising junior Mitchell are going to be sacrificing shots for the sake of Burris being there.

On another note I think there has been a slow down of Marin kids coming down to SI. Still a good number coming from up there.

O'Connell was good back then. They had the Tresvant brothers. They had talent. All AAA schools back then had talent. Players... They just weren't no match for Balboa and Wilson....

He (munk) came to Riordan to play on a bigger stage...Sound familiar....And again. Kids have been teaming up to play with friends/aau teammates for years. Thats how Lyryan Russell got to Sacred Heart. He was playing with his aau friends. Al Johnson and the guard that went and played at St Louis University. This is nothing new....It may just be accelerated now..And if people transfer fir basketball reasons. what's wrong with that You only got one shot at high school...But again. Things change and nothing will never be the same as they were 20 or 30 years ago. AND that can be a good thing...
These transfer were all local within City limits. The Burris one is 50 miles away and no where near Caltrain line. the "SH/St. Louis kid is Justin Love.

Reactions: superle

I am struggling with the concept of "gets more out of less talent"...The Serra roster is littered with athletes with elite size: 6'9", 6'8", 6'7", 6'5"....Rapp is an excellent coach, but to mythologize the Padres as a bunch of scrappy, undersized, underdogs is laughable. I would contend that the Mills Vikings would qualify with that description far more than Serra.

I am struggling with the concept of "gets more out of less talent"...The Serra roster is littered with athletes with elite size: 6'9", 6'8", 6'7", 6'5"....Rapp is an excellent coach, but to mythologize the Padres as a bunch of scrappy, undersized, underdogs is laughable. I would contend that the Mills Vikings would qualify with that description far more than Serra.

The writer may have been referring only to the WCAL coaches. But there's no doubt that there are public school coaches who do a fabulous job with minimal talent since their teams, by definition, are comprised of neighborhood-only rosters (Mills, Burlingame, Mission and Campolindo come to mind immediately). WCAL schools have no geographic limitations whatsoever.

The writer may have been referring only to the WCAL coaches. But there's no doubt that there are public school coaches who do a fabulous job with minimal talent since their teams, by definition, are comprised of neighborhood-only rosters (Mills, Burlingame, Mission and Campolindo come to mind immediately). WCAL schools have no geographic limitations whatsoever.
I came away impressed with Folsom’s head coach - watching his team defeat the Crusaders in last year’s NorCal matchup at the Forum.

Reactions: Renard Monroe
Another big transfer for SI was David Wilson (84) leaving SH after his freshman year. Like Paul, his transfer had a huge affect on the balance of power in the WCAL.
He was a very quick slashing type guard with great hops. I remember those great matchups with a promising soph named Terrence Mullins for Riordan going up against the Sr. David Wilson. Those games were played in a packed Kezar Pavilion in those days.

Reactions: WM483
He was a very quick slashing type guard with great hops. I remember those great matchups with a promising soph named Terrence Mullins for Riordan going up against the Sr. David Wilson. Those games were played in a packed Kezar Pavilion in those days.
No doubt, T. Mullins was a Bad Ass player ! He and Dave played huge rolls in WCAL, CCS & Nor.Cal Championships for the Crusaders and Cats. Those games at Kezar were the best for the players of the 3 WCAL City schools. SH & SI pep bands, Riordan band, full cheering sections at midcourt on both sides, the bouncy floor, the upstairs full of fans that you couldn't see due to the haze (before legalization), looking at the other end of the court and seeing guys you had known since 1st grade. Way more but that's enough for memory lane. It's too bad the kids today don't get the Kezar experience.

All due respect to Mills because I know the Men's and Women's varsity coaches. They don't play any talent close to what Serra plays during the season. Come watch the Riordan/Serra game this year home or away....Riordan has 2 seven footers and Serra will most likely keep it to a single digit win or loss.

Who is the 2nd 7 footer for Riordan?

2 kids from Nigeria who are boarding at Riordan HS. Maybe the 2nd one is 6’10/6’11 but you get the point. My prediction is Riordan takes down Mitty and makes Nor Cal Open finals

No doubt, T. Mullins was a Bad Ass player !

I played with Terrance in a couple of adult leagues, and he was an absolute beast. He could do it all on offense and lock down the other team’s best player on D. I could only imagine how good he was back in high school. Great player at OU in their final 4 run as well.

Just to be clear. Are you putting Campolindo Men's Varsity Basketball in the same category as a Mills when talking about a neighborhood only roster ?

Just to be clear. Are you putting Campolindo Men's Varsity Basketball in the same category as a Mills when talking about a neighborhood only roster ?

I believe Campo’s district is open as players from Miramonte, Campo, Acalanes or Las Lomas can attend any of the 4 schools as long as there is room. So although it’s not a private or charter, it’s not necessarily a neighborhood-only school either.

Reactions: da real
I believe Campo’s district is open as players from Miramonte, Campo, Acalanes or Las Lomas can attend any of the 4 schools as long as there is room. So although it’s not a private or charter, it’s not necessarily a neighborhood-only school either.
Ah, that makes sense. I know Campo has athletes that don't live in Moraga and couldn't figure out how. I could also see this system applying to academics. For example, maybe one school has a strong Math or Science program that attracts students to that particular campus. Also, does this system effect how the schools are placed in NCS divisions ? Are they looked upon as individual schools or more as a group due to the larger pool of players that are potentially available ?

They are not 6 foot 10. 6 foot 8. maybe. They are not from Nigeria. They are from the Sudan. And they have been at the school the last 2 years. This will be there 3rd year at the school. They are in the class of 2020.

QUOTE="pc2986, post: 239365, member: 6827"]2 kids from Nigeria who are boarding at Riordan HS. Maybe the 2nd one is 6’10/6’11 but you get the point. My prediction is Riordan takes down Mitty and makes Nor Cal Open finals[/QUOTE]

Reactions: jordan24
Seck Mor from Riordan has a very good shot to be the WCAL POY. He actually kind of reminds me of James Wiseman a little bit.

Size wise there is no one in that league that can compete with him, and if he and Riny can hit 3’s.....it’s almost game over.

Mitty has a good team, but due to experience and other factors, I think Riordan is the heavy favorite to win that conference.

I don't know what you are watching..Mohr is good. But very raw...Maybe POY by his senior year....U are getting ahead of yourself and all of these predictions. I can remember being affiliated with a team 10 years ago, that had high expectations. State title talk. Only to have a major disappointment and not make the playoffs. Things have to play its self out. It is a long season. And things change. [injuries, grades, chemistry, upsets].

Seck Mor from Riordan has a very good shot to be the WCAL POY. He actually kind of reminds me of James Wiseman a little bit.

Size wise there is no one in that league that can compete with him, and if he and Riny can hit 3’s.....it’s almost game over.

Mitty has a good team, but due to experience and other factors, I think Riordan is the heavy favorite to win that conference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT