ADVERTISEMENT

Nigel Burris is transferring to Mitty

With the current CIF transfer rules/eligibility, will all of these transfers be able to play right away, or will there be a sit-out period?

Hopefully Riordan utilizes their size. HS basketball is mainly a guard/wing oriented game. You don't see post ups, pick & roll where they actually hit the roller, etc.

Hopefully Riordan utilizes their size. HS basketball is mainly a guard/wing oriented game. You don't see post ups, pick & roll where they actually hit the roller, etc.
Riordan's Riiny is more of a shooting forward as he is athletic and long and can shoot the 3.The Crusaders other bigs like Mor, Chan, Toyo and Vaihola can all post up, pick and roll, hit the elbow jumper and are active and can run the floor to finish off breaks. Looking forward to seeing who the starting 5 will be along with the substitution rotation. Lots of combinations that Coach Curtin can use depending on the opponent. Should be fun!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. Direct
They are not 6 foot 10. 6 foot 8. maybe. They are not from Nigeria. They are from the Sudan. And they have been at the school the last 2 years. This will be there 3rd year at the school. They are in the class of 2020.

QUOTE="pc2986, post: 239365, member: 6827"]2 kids from Nigeria who are boarding at Riordan HS. Maybe the 2nd one is 6’10/6’11 but you get the point. My prediction is Riordan takes down Mitty and makes Nor Cal Open finals
[/QUOTE]
sudan, nigeria.... 6/10 or 6/8... i dont know what assumption is worse.

Reactions: Mr. Direct
Riordan's Riiny is more of a shooting forward as he is athletic and long and can shoot the 3.The Crusaders other bigs like Mor, Chan, Toyo and Vaihola can all post up, pick and roll, hit the elbow jumper and are active and can run the floor to finish off breaks. Looking forward to seeing who the starting 5 will be along with the substitution rotation. Lots of combinations that Coach Curtin can use depending on the opponent. Should be fun!
" Lot's of combinations that Coach Curtain can use..."
IMHO that will be the key to a good/nice season or a great/spectacular season for the Crusaders, coaching ! The roster sure looks loaded but that will only get the team so far. They must be coached up and put in the right places to make the plays necessary for it all to come together.

Ah, that makes sense. I know Campo has athletes that don't live in Moraga and couldn't figure out how. I could also see this system applying to academics. For example, maybe one school has a strong Math or Science program that attracts students to that particular campus. Also, does this system effect how the schools are placed in NCS divisions ? Are they looked upon as individual schools or more as a group due to the larger pool of players that are potentially available ?

I don’t think the district format has any bearing on NCS division placement. But now that competitive equity has taken over, Campo should continue to move up in divisions as they continue to win.

" Lot's of combinations that Coach Curtain can use..."
IMHO that will be the key to a good/nice season or a great/spectacular season for the Crusaders, coaching ! The roster sure looks loaded but that will only get the team so far. They must be coached up and put in the right places to make the plays necessary for it all to come together.
Alot of people forget that part. Lots of talent and only 5 can play at a time. A few L's and the parent mtgs are coming. Having tons of talent comes with a price. Minutes & getting guys to accept the best role for the teams sucess is the hard part. Good Luck to the coaching staff

Reactions: ayalar09
Alot of people forget that part. Lots of talent and only 5 can play at a time. A few L's and the parent mtgs are coming. Having tons of talent comes with a price. Minutes & getting guys to accept the best role for the teams sucess is the hard part. Good Luck to the coaching staff

Riordan's compilation of talent is going to be a problem for themselves unless all of its players are willing to sacrifice stats. On paper, the size of the front court would be any coach's dream to go with two D1 guards.

IMO, Jelani and Bryce should ideally come out with their verbal commitment before the season starts. Their college futures are already set no matter what. The others that are looking for their own college opportunities obviously will need to showcase their potential that can be translated into a scholarship.

How much Jelani and Bryce are willing to make a concerted effort to make their other teammates look good during regular season and then unleashing themselves during the playoffs will be my key to Riordan's goals this season.

What’s disgusting about Riordan is Riny and Mor have more upside than the two guards. And the two guards are very good players. Very scary to think about.

Riordan is really the only team from norcal that I think would have any shot at winning the state open or D1 game.

What’s disgusting about Riordan is Riny and Mor have more upside than the two guards. And the two guards are very good players. Very scary to think about.

Riordan is really the only team from norcal that I think would have any shot at winning the state open or D1 game.

You have a peculiar way of describing things. Disgusting? You must really not like them. They have just as good as shot as any to reach Open final..... aaaaannnnnd whoever makes it will get soundly beaten by Sierra Canyon. Soundly as in by 30.

Sierra Canyon will not be winning vs any team from NorCal by 30, yes they are good!
But the same argument stands true for them as well, it's only one ball! Lol...Until someone knocks off Sheldon down here they are the favorite.
but let's be honest it's really unfair to compare Socal and Norcal and expect equality for really one reason. SoCal team are practicing and playing games. Sierra Canyon is oversees right now competing as a team. How can you compete with that.
I can't speak on how this year will go for Riordan, I hope they do really well . But I want to address a few things that have been stated in these threads. The first is incorporating the bigs. Last season the limited bigs Riordan had were incorporated. A few games they led the team in scoring. Basketball is about match ups . Mor is definitely an upgrade at the center position but there are only a few guys proven on big stages.
Riordan has a chance to be special "Chance" ...tough league and playoff system. Getting guys to relish in their roles. There won't be any parents meetings to have but at every school you got parents telling their kid to shoot the ball and go because they were with a trainer all summer and played on a local AAU team but their kid is a career 8 to 10 point scorer but gets on their high school team and tries to do to much. It's going to happen.
Please go and pull up players stats on the circuit they were playing on, shooting percentage, points, assists etc...that should give you a clue on what guys should be doing...just my opinion.
If Riordan plays together and play for one another they will be fine. Social media and ego can break teams down FAST. Not sitting on a high horse either. There are things that have bothered me as a coach/father but you got to keep on going forward.
Je'lani and Bryce have been all WCAL every year. The leadership starts with them. Everything else will fall in place.
As far as Bryce and his commitment to the next level. After his visits this month and next month he will make his decision on where he will attend school next fall. This is a big decision and it's been fun and stressful all the same.

Sierra Canyon will not be winning vs any team from NorCal by 30, yes they are good!
But the same argument stands true for them as well, it's only one ball! Lol...Until someone knocks off Sheldon down here they are the favorite.
but let's be honest it's really unfair to compare Socal and Norcal and expect equality for really one reason. SoCal team are practicing and playing games. Sierra Canyon is oversees right now competing as a team. How can you compete with that.
I can't speak on how this year will go for Riordan, I hope they do really well . But I want to address a few things that have been stated in these threads. The first is incorporating the bigs. Last season the limited bigs Riordan had were incorporated. A few games they led the team in scoring. Basketball is about match ups . Mor is definitely an upgrade at the center position but there are only a few guys proven on big stages.
Riordan has a chance to be special "Chance" ...tough league and playoff system. Getting guys to relish in their roles. There won't be any parents meetings to have but at every school you got parents telling their kid to shoot the ball and go because they were with a trainer all summer and played on a local AAU team but their kid is a career 8 to 10 point scorer but gets on their high school team and tries to do to much. It's going to happen.
Please go and pull up players stats on the circuit they were playing on, shooting percentage, points, assists etc...that should give you a clue on what guys should be doing...just my opinion.
If Riordan plays together and play for one another they will be fine. Social media and ego can break teams down FAST. Not sitting on a high horse either. There are things that have bothered me as a coach/father but you got to keep on going forward.
Je'lani and Bryce have been all WCAL every year. The leadership starts with them. Everything else will fall in place.
As far as Bryce and his commitment to the next level. After his visits this month and next month he will make his decision on where he will attend school next fall. This is a big decision and it's been fun and stressful all the same.
Is it November 30th yet?!? Lol.
All the best to Bryce and his decision...Would be cool to see him play in the ACC, though. ;-)
Great post Coach. Could not agree with you more.
Also, there is absolutely no comparing NorCal and SoCal programs. They play by their own rules. Smh . I also saw that Sierra Canyon is overseas and there's a tournament of the SoCal's top schools in October! Are you kidding me?!? NorCal title goes through Sheldon - totally agree.

All the best to Bryce and his decision...Would be cool to see him play in the ACC, though. ;-)
Also, there is absolutely no comparing NorCal and SoCal programs. They play by their own rules. Smh . I also saw that Sierra Canyon is overseas and there's a tournament of the SoCal's top schools in October! Are you kidding me?!? NorCal title goes through Sheldon - totally agree.
I also like that Riordan isn't shying away from competition, with JSerra(SJ Capistrano), Weston Ranch, Modesto Christian, and the Gridley Tournament on their preseason schedule, then the WCAL gauntlet.

Great insight as usual Renard. I think last year the bigs like Johnson and Turner accepted/played their roles very well. Riiny I think was trying to find his place which is understandable (new country, new school, new cultures). I expect them to win .900% this year with a few mild upsets.

I say SC by 30 because the last two years they won by 13 and 24 over the best we had in NorCal, and that was without 2 top 10 players from ESPN100. They basically have a team of McDonalds All-Americans. No one is stopping them. They literally can be like Ice Cube and mess around and get a triple double in the Open Final.

Reactions: Renard Monroe
How does SoCal get away with this? Do they play by the same CIF rules or are there any? Btw - The tournament is October 5th! The first day of Winter Sports Games in the Southern Section is Nov 18th per CIF-SS site.

Last edited:
Reactions: Renard Monroe
At this point Bryce is in between going to a Major or Mid Major Division 1 school. He plans on committing Mid October and signing the first period in November. Some local talent will be on display Sunday at Chabot in the NorCal Clash.
As long as he is happy with his decision and is supported at the institution. I am all for it.
It is totally unfair to let these teams practice, play etc...and expect a level playing field. WCAL schools are already handicapped with the 10 game preseason. No showcase games like MLK can happen for WCAL teams unless they cut their preseason down.

They are not 6 foot 10. 6 foot 8. maybe. They are not from Nigeria. They are from the Sudan. And they have been at the school the last 2 years. This will be there 3rd year at the school. They are in the class of 2020.

QUOTE="pc2986, post: 239365, member: 6827"]2 kids from Nigeria who are boarding at Riordan HS. Maybe the 2nd one is 6’10/6’11 but you get the point. My prediction is Riordan takes down Mitty and makes Nor Cal Open finals
[/QUOTE]

Tomato...Tomato(England accent).....bottom line is Riordan will be stacked. Unfortunately, for their football team it's going to be a much different season

Reactions: Scott2138
Seck Mor from Riordan has a very good shot to be the WCAL POY. He actually kind of reminds me of James Wiseman a little bit.

Size wise there is no one in that league that can compete with him, and if he and Riny can hit 3’s.....it’s almost game over.

Mitty has a good team, but due to experience and other factors, I think Riordan is the heavy favorite to win that conference.
wait what??!?!??!?!?! JAMES WISEMAN?!?!?! There must be some james wiseman playing at the ymca somewhere in SF you speak of...

Reactions: Crusaders70
wait what??!?!??!?!?! JAMES WISEMAN?!?!?! There must be some james wiseman playing at the ymca somewhere in SF you speak of...

Mor is listed at 6'11 209 lbs and he's going to be a sophomore in high school.

Wiseman is listed at 7'0 230 lbs and hes going into his Freshman year in college.

It's called a projection. Doesn't mean it's going to be true, but I see a lot of the same traits in both players. Both are stretch bigs that can hit a 3. Though I agree with other posters on here, that Mor should work the paint and not shoot that many 3's. Point is he's capable of making the shot.

When all is said and done, and if he doesn't transfer again, Mor has a chance to be the best player to play in the WCAL since Aaron Gordon.

Wiseman is listed at 7'0 230 lbs and hes going into his Freshman year in college.

It's called a projection. Doesn't mean it's going to be true, but I see a lot of the same traits in both players. Both are stretch bigs that can hit a 3. Though I agree with other posters on here, that Mor should work the paint and not shoot that many 3's. Point is he's capable of making the shot.

When all is said and done, and if he doesn't transfer again, Mor has a chance to be the best player to play in the WCAL since Aaron Gordon.

Wow, that's a real deal projection. I never try and project and as i keep living try to judge another. I will just point out to you that Mor didn't even start on his AAU team. I truly hope that he fully reaches his potential. He did really well at the USF camp yesterday, he can only get better .

Any other Riordan players participate @ the USF camp? Was it an individual or team camp.

Unless your Dior Johnson or Kijani Wright, it’s hard to start on an AAU team as a freshman going into your sophomore year. I still have to watch a lot more of Mor play, and I plan on going to a couple games at least this year. It’ll be up to their Coach to develop his outside game, even though with his size advantage it’ll be easy to want him to just pound it inside all game. All I know is we are in for some good basketball in the Bay Area next season. Grab your popcorn, sit back and watch the magic happen!

Unless your Dior Johnson or Kijani Wright, it’s hard to start on an AAU team as a freshman going into your sophomore year. I still have to watch a lot more of Mor play, and I plan on going to a couple games at least this year. It’ll be up to their Coach to develop his outside game, even though with his size advantage it’ll be easy to want him to just pound it inside all game. All I know is we are in for some good basketball in the Bay Area next season. Grab your popcorn, sit back and watch the magic happen!
Your logic is off...Mor played on an all 15u team!

Seck Mor from Riordan has a very good shot to be the WCAL POY. He actually kind of reminds me of James Wiseman a little bit.

Size wise there is no one in that league that can compete with him, and if he and Riny can hit 3’s.....it’s almost game over.

Mitty has a good team, but due to experience and other factors, I think Riordan is the heavy favorite to win that conference.
Absolutely hilarious mascot

When all is said and done, and if he doesn't transfer again, Mor has a chance to be the best player to play in the WCAL since Aaron
Why are you posting in a 3 year old thread?
Just living a little James Wiseman history

A "State Champion" that can't win their own league. And loses by 30-40 points in every game against league champs, University.

A "State Champion" that can't win their own league. And loses by 30-40 points in every game against league champs, University.

The year UNI went to the state championship game, we beat them three out of four games.

you play the teams that are put in front of you.

Nice accomplishment, but far from being a good team when you're getting spanked during league.

Old Man is obsessed with Hall Ball.

Anytime you want to watch the State Champions play just let me know!!!!
are you really a state champ if the best player on your team didnt get a basketball scholarship? and he was named by you as the best shooter in the city?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT