ADVERTISEMENT

Pittsburg/De La Salle Predictions

Bubba3000

Hall of Famer
Dec 12, 2012
Here are the reasons for my prediction. Although there defense is very tough, Pittsburg is tougher against the pass than the run. DLS will use their starters the entire game resulting in a final score of DLS 38 Pittsburg 10

Sounds pretty accurate IMO,thats about what I'd say,around 35-14

I see a 35-3 score unfortunatley. Tied at halftime though! hahaha

DLS wins 28-7 and pulls away late due to their OL. Paloma- How good is Shurrod Thompson? Looks like a true impact guy at the next level. They list him somewhere with a 4.7 forty. My guess is that was an old time from last year.

Would not surprise me if we see a repeat of the 2012 Pitt v DLS game: tough, physical, even first half. Followed by DLS taking control in the second half at some point.

Pitt's defense is legit and maybe this Pirate secondary is as good as the 2008 team.

I have no idea what Thompson's 40 time is but I doubt it's worse than 4.55 with all the big offers he has.

Bubba- I would agree. He kind of reminds of a poor man's Shaq Thompson.

While Pitt's defense is fantastic, they just don't have the offense to compete with DLS. They have yet to score at least 30 against a team with a winning record. Foothill held them to 10 points, they scored just 1 offensive TD versus Cal High, and only 17 points against Antioch in week 10. I don't see their offense scoring more than 1 TD against the DLS 1st string defense, so unless their defense comes up with some huge turnovers, they had better hold DLS to less than 10 points. DLS's lowest point totals this year are 41 vs. Serra and 42 vs. Cal High.

Pitt's defense is better than either of those teams, but I still don't see them holding the Spartans to less than 30. If DLS gets to 30 early and puts in their second team, then Pitt may score more than 10 and it could be a 47-14 game. But if their defense holds DLS to less than 30 and their starters never leave, then it could be 27-3. I just don't see DLS turning the ball over enough for Pitt to score enough points to compete in this one. They'll need some great special teams play and some breaks in addition to playing their best defensive game of the year to stay within 3 TDs. Hopefully the Pirates are healthy. Even if DLS is down to their 3rd string QB, they 'll continue to run the ball effectively and not throw much like they did against Cal on Friday night.

My prediction is DLS 37 - Pitt 10.

How about Pitt 35, DLS 27 - a repeat of the 1991 Final.

j/k

I haven't seen the Pirates play this season, but I take everyone word regarding their defense. I'll blindly make a guess of a 31-7 score.

Pitt has no chance to win this game. DLS is going to leave their starters in and it's going to be a first class whipping. With all the studs pitt has they lack the high D1 dual threat QB necessary to win. Sorry, 48-6 final.

Is DLS starting QB going to play? Heard he had an injury and Assasi took over. Think they will still take Pitt but could be closer. What about implications for bowl play-in or bowl? SI still think they are Open Division choice if the win out, but would Folsom (assuming they win out) be a better candidate for the Open Bowl if DLS QB isn't healthy?

Originally posted by NorCalSportsFan:

Is DLS starting QB going to play? Heard he had an injury and Assasi took over. Think they will still take Pitt but could be closer. What about implications for bowl play-in or bowl? SI still think they are Open Division choice if the win out, but would Folsom (assuming they win out) be a better candidate for the Open Bowl if DLS QB isn't healthy?
All indications from Alumbaugh were that Vanderklugt would be good to go this week. What would interesting to see is if DLS had Asiasi taking reps this week, or if DLS is giving their soph QB, Curran, reps to keep Asiasi involved as a TE as well as defensively. It wouldn't surprise me to see Pitt keep 8 in the box and man up outside to force whoever is playing QB to beat them with his arm, and Pitt has the DB's to make this work imo. Having Asiasi as a receiving threat makes it harder for that strategy to be effective.

I will say this, Jordan Parker is the best Player on that Defense. Parker completely shut down Langley. It wasn't even close who was the best defensive back on the field that night. Parker by a long shot!

Also, that kid that plays linebacker for them (#23) is pretty amazing too considering his size, and is a Junior. Maxpreps says he leads the team in tackles and had another interception against Foothill. The difference though on this Defense from what I have been told is Gabe McCoy, their defensive end who has 17 quarterback sacks this year. He looks like a sure fire Mid Major guy, but only because he's kind of slim for the Pac 12. At the end of the day though De La Salle is amazing, has more horses and will out coach the Pirates. Congrats to De La Salle on another title.

Paloma- Why do they list Parker as a 4.8 in the 40? Looked closer to a 4.6. I agree on your assessment re Mercado but Langley is a big-time guy and would take him over anybody in that game at the next level. I also thought Kearns played a poor game IMO. Re Floyd, he showed a couple great moves but lacks size and a top gear. I still want to hear your opinion on Thompson.

Agreed renegage. They key to beating DLS is to stop their running game.....something no nor cal team has done. I'd go man to man, bump and run and stack the box and blitz the FS and CB's every once in while. Commit PI penalites when necessary. Disrupt DLS' execution. Make DLS beat you with the pass not the run and they will have a slim chance to keep it close.

Folks, keep in mind that Langley is being recruited as a defensive back, so shutting him down as a receiver is not a monumental feat. There's a reason he has 50 or 60 offers, most of them big time offers. I don't understand why Sweeney has chosen to trust Langley's passing arm in at least a couple of key situations this season.

Bubba- I disagree. Watched him play three games this year and he was just as impressive on the offense side, especially going up in traffic. That said, you are dead on re he will go as a top corner. Most guys just can't cover and top DB's are hard to find.

Norcalsportsfan you taking Pitt really quiet over there as most of your posts this season has you swinging on the Pitt defense! You going to back your boys and give a prediction.. I'm backing your boys check out my last post...

It wasn't my intent to discount the job Pitt did covering Langley, still a helluva job on a blue chip player.

I didn't specify above - and probably don't need to - but my 31-7 score is in favor of DLS.

I'm giving credit to the Pirates defense in thinking they might be able to slow DLS to the lowest point total they've scored all season. I don't think Pitt will be able to do much offensively though. Not many can.

Bubba- I don't think you discounted anything. I'd like to know that with all the good athletes on defense, why is their offense not better. Also, congrats to your son.

NCSF, thanks! My son had a blast his senior year. I have only seen Pittsburg once in person and that was the first game of the year. I'm a bit baffled as to why they are not better on offense, what with all the defensive talent they sport. I suspect it falls mostly on the quarterback. Pitt seems to have good backs and linemen.

I felt the same way watching Pitt Saturday night. The O line was opening huge holes in the Foothill defense, the RB's are quick and run hard, and there were times the QB looked very good with his throws. They just seemed to self destruct each time they got inside the Foothill 30. After the 1st quarter, they were by far the better team and should have won by 2-3 TD's. As has been mentioned, their "D" shut Foothill down all night. Pitt should have never lost to Mitty or SRV.

If they can clean a few things up Saturday night, the Spartans are in for their toughest game of the year. It's the Sectional Finals and that's the way its supposed to be..

I smell upset....Spartans are banged up and look tired....if Pitt can hang in till 4th qtr this game will be close enough for a possible upset.
confused0024.r191677.gif
otherwise Sparty hangs on and wins by 15.

This post was edited on 12/1 7:47 PM by Turfpellet

CalPreps has this projected as 44-8 for Sparty. I'm not sure how they got to 8, but with Pitt's defense maybe 2 FGs and a safety?

Friday, December 5th

2 CHAMPIONSHIP
Clayton Valley (Concord, CA) vs. Concord (CA) at Diablo Valley College (Pleasant Hill, CA), 7:00pm [projection: Clayton Valley (Concord, CA) 42-31]

4 CHAMPIONSHIP
St. Mary's (Albany, CA) vs. Justin-Siena (Napa, CA) at De Anza (El Sobrante, CA), 7:00pm [projection: St. Mary's (Albany, CA) 28-14]

5 CHAMPIONSHIP
Salesian (Richmond, CA) vs. St. Helena (CA) at Alhambra (Martinez, CA), 7:00pm [projection: Salesian (Richmond, CA) 31-17]

Saturday, December 6th

1 CHAMPIONSHIP
De La Salle (Concord, CA) vs. Pittsburg (CA) at Dublin (CA), 7:00pm [projection: De La Salle (Concord, CA) 44-8]

3 CHAMPIONSHIP
Campolindo (Moraga, CA) vs. Marin Catholic (Kentfield, CA) at Diablo Valley College (Pleasant Hill, CA), 7:00pm [projection: Campolindo (Moraga, CA) 35-21]

Originally posted by Turfpellet:
I smell upset....Spartans are banged up and look tired....if Pitt can hang in till 4th qtr this game will be close enough for a possible upset.
confused0024.r191677.gif
other wise Sparty hangs on and wins by 15.
I believe this will be a problem for Pitt. In the 2012 game Pitt wore down. The Pirates played DLS just about even in that first half but could not sustain their effort as they got tired.

Many a game comes down to that 2nd and 3rd effort that the Spartans produce. Few teams can match the overall conditioning of the Spartans.

Regarding Thompson... I'm more impressed with the players on Pittsburg's stellar defense that I mentioned. Palega and Lui are great players as well. Thompson is very talented though.

I don't think Pitt will win this one. When I mean close, I mean maybe they keep the score like a margin such as against Cal High versus a game over at half. I didn't realize Sweeney was out for DLS. Vanderklug is an excellent QB but thought Sweeney ran the veer as well as most have over the years. I don't think Pitt will have much success scoring against the Spartan defense.

Thanks Pop, yeh watching his last game was kinda hard. It was nice to see him get some time on defense against Liberty and DLS.

This post was edited on 12/2 7:28 AM by Bubba3000

Turfpellet, a good example of that extra effort was Hernandez long run where four Cal High defensers had him stopped and he wriggled free to score a long TD.

I think Pittsburg will hang tougher than any other local team has this fall. The defense is legit and has some physicality in the front seven. In the end, De La Salle will wear them down and hit a couple of big plays like they always do.

De La Salle wins 31-10.

BVAL Number 1 Ranked Defense vs a Defense Unit on the #2 team in the nation on USA Today. Here's where you can say stats are BS or Math don't add up. A lot have been said of Pitt Defense nothing about De La Defense.

That is because you predicted above that Pitt would win this one 37-7
wink.r191677.gif
. Your son must be trembling just thinking about it. Truthfully, no one really needs to comment on the Spartan defense and everyone already knows how good they are. Outside of DLS, Pitt has one of the (if not The) top defenses in NorCal. So if DLS piles up another 40+ on them, it would be legit. Pitt's offense is another story. They'd better hope for some breaks and TOs to stay in this one.

There's my buddy observer 22. Going to be in the crowd. Boy you just can't wait till I come on here huh.

So observer 22 are you going to be like NorCal sportsfan and blurt out all these possibilities of what has to happen for Pittsburg to win or are you gonna put a down a score. Remember I picked the upset first like you detailed in your OBSERVATION.

I already put down a score in the post above on 11/30: My prediction is DLS 37 - Pitt 10.

I like Pitt, but had to be realistic about them facing the Spartans. With the DLS junior class, I don't see them losing either this year or next. After that who knows what more they have coming down the pike. Hopefully Pitt can keep it close and make it a good game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT