ADVERTISEMENT

press democrat defends CN in local article

As much as Miramonte has the feel of an Open program, they are not one of the eight best teams this year.

I saw a coach make the comparison that the Open was the NCAA tournament and the other divisions are NIT. Both have their place but there is a clear difference in accomplishment.
I'm not sure I like that comparison. Let's remember why the Open Division was created. I believe all 8 of these schools are Private schools that technically can recruit girls to come to their school. I do agree that Miramonte was definitely a bubble team that could have went either way this year. Obviously if you look at their history over the last 4 years (with Ionescu), they have the feel of an Open program and with their success this season, they probably couldn't argue if they were placed in Open again. Looking forward to see how they do in D2; maybe this is their year to win a State Championship and I'm sure their players, parent, fans, and school will not even think twice that it isn't an Open State Championship. Only us bloggers on here will give it an asterisk, LOL.

I'm not sure I like that comparison. Let's remember why the Open Division was created. I believe all 8 of these schools are Private schools that technically can recruit girls to come to their school. I do agree that Miramonte was definitely a bubble team that could have went either way this year. Obviously if you look at their history over the last 4 years (with Ionescu), they have the feel of an Open program and with their success this season, they probably couldn't argue if they were placed in Open again. Looking forward to see how they do in D2; maybe this is their year to win a State Championship and I'm sure their players, parent, fans, and school will not even think twice that it isn't an Open State Championship. Only us bloggers on here will give it an asterisk, LOL.

I certainly think the teams and fans should be excited but this is one of the drawbacks of the Open. You create a little haves/have nots.

Reactions: basketba11
Remind us why it was created.. Was it so everyone gets a shot at a trophy? Or to see who the best of the best is?
Are you saying you are not a fan of the Open Division? Come on really. Of course a big part of it is wanting the best of the best to play against one another to see who is the best in California and also will affect who is crowned National champion as well. This does level the playing field a little for non-private school teams but not entirely since many private schools not selected into the Open also get that chance (SHC and CN last year are great examples). But to answer your question, it most definitely gives schools a chance to get that trophy that wouldn't necessarily have that chance if the Open teams were placed in their respective divisions. I don't see what is wrong with that. I guess you don't think so.

The fans, parents and school don't necessarily recognize the fact that if you are not selected to the Open, then you are in theory not one of the top 16 teams in the state. A "state championship" sure sounds good, but it is watered down in CA from what it meant a few years ago.

Are you saying you are not a fan of the Open Division? Come on really. Of course a big part of it is wanting the best of the best to play against one another to see who is the best in California and also will affect who is crowned National champion as well. This does level the playing field a little for non-private school teams but not entirely since many private schools not selected into the Open also get that chance (SHC and CN last year are great examples). But to answer your question, it most definitely gives schools a chance to get that trophy that wouldn't necessarily have that chance if the Open teams were placed in their respective divisions. I don't see what is wrong with that. I guess you don't think so.

Oh I am definitely a fan of it! In fact I will try to be at an open division game in every round if I can. Dont get me wrong, but that is also from a fans perspective. I love seeing the top teams play each other, who wouldnt? We finally get to see it settled on the court and not trying to compare different division champs. All I am trying to say is lets be honest about why the change was proposed. Don't for one second think that it was the idea of the top teams to create the open. I dont see Tom, Sue, Doc, and the coaches of the other top teams (sure we can make them all private) getting together and saying "you know what, the multiple state titles we won just weren't hard enough. We want to be put in a separate division away from these lesser teams". (and I'm in no way implying that these coaches dont welcome the open. They love competition as you can see by their schedules, they want to play the best) No, it was most assuredly those teams that were never making it past the quarter or semi finals and were tired of losing to the same handful of teams and never getting a shot to play at Arco. Like observer said, its still a state championship. And they will still get a banner, and they should still be proud of that. But lets not pretend like its the same. You can't have it both ways.

I did my best ... but I think anyone who saw us play in person would have to admit we do not have a roster filled with tall, strong and fast girls. Jordan Bryant (5-11 post) and Elle Louie (5-11 wing) are exceptional athletes, no question, and Bryant's background in track shows in her speed and jumping ability, but our two starting freshman guards are not exactly imposing and though Clair Steele is a superb player, her listed height of 5-5 might be just a little bit optimistic.

And apparently the committee agreed -- they believe Vanden with Julia Blackshell-Fair is a better team.

She is a physical beast and plays like one. Few players in Norcal have her ability and can dominate physically/athletically like she can. She jumps like she is 6'3", runs like a gazelle and is as tenacious and aggressive as anyone anywhere. However, I think MM will still win and should have been in the Open but I am glad they aren't since they have paid their dues over the past several years and getting a D2 State Championship is as real a possibility for them as anyone this year. Good luck!!

The user was banned because rules were broken.

He definitely wasn't holding anything back. I didn't agree or disagree with everything he said. But..... I got a couple of grins in before you banned him.

Last edited:
Of the 5 teams from the NCS that I assume were under OPEN consideration.....the 4 that were chosen were correct and in the proper order.
And if it is TRULY about putting the 8 best into a playoff format then it shouldn't matter how many are chosen from a certain section and more than 4 should be allowed.

But again all this arguing/discussion about the OPEN and who deserves to go would all be alleviated if......

THEY JUST HAD AN OPEN SECTION PLAYOFF IN THE NCS AN SJS!!!!!!!!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT