ADVERTISEMENT

Riordan 68, St. Ignatius 51

I literally said it is likely Riordan would of have won the game anyways. The issue is that the officials allowed the game to become a rugby game by not calling anything the entire game. This is unfair officiating because it makes it so whichever team has the biggest player on the court wins by default. It's not about number of free throws, a game can be well-officiated and have a disparity between the two teams in free throw attempts. The game should be decided on the merit of actual basketball skill and teamwork.
Clearly the game was decided by skill and teamwork. Both of those Riordan has shown they have more of. All contact is not a foul. Sounds like the opponent needs to spend more time in the weight room.
State title teams can play through contact. If that is their aspirations... they better do more push ups or join the band.

Went to SJ State/SDSU game last night. 2 Riordan kids got zero PT. Any scoop on why not? Trammel did his thing but not sure hes playing for the team, looked different than other times ive seen him play
SJS is a real heavy world wide roster "do you know the way to san jose".............
Tough for freshman to learn how to defend at the D1 level.
The other guy seems a bit thicc so maybe he can't defend that well either. Match up issues vs SDSU post.

I attended this game…..and the referees were no different than they have been all year.

They are letting the guys play. Not blowing the whistle. And it’s favoring the more aggressive teams/teams who are larger in size.

Part of that is due to the rule change where 5 fouls in a quarter and your giving a team 2 free throws every time. I think refs are calling less fouls this year because of this.

I like SI a lot, but Riordan did a great job shutting down Whitley. That was the difference in the games, not the zebras.

My 2 cents.
Riordan's size speed and depth was just too much for SI. The 'Cats were defending with their hands when the Riordan wings were driving into the lane. It was the perfect counter to SI's motion offense looking to set up the 3. #12 for SI cut Sensely's legs from under him while going for a dunk and he grabbed Rencher under the basket when he was going up strong. Someone can get hurt.

Riordan's size speed and depth was just too much for SI. The 'Cats were defending with their hands when the Riordan wings were driving into the lane. It was the perfect counter to SI's motion offense looking to set up the 3. #12 for SI cut Sensely's legs from under him while going for a dunk and he grabbed Rencher under the basket when he was going up strong. Someone can get hurt.
Hmmm..someone else said something different...

I literally said it is likely Riordan would have have won the game anyways. The issue is that the officials allowed the game to become a rugby game by not calling anything the entire game. This is unfair officiating because it makes it so whichever team has the biggest player on the court wins by default. It's not about number of free throws, a game can be well-officiated and have a disparity between the two teams in free throw attempts. The game should be decided on the merit of actual basketball skill and teamwork.
Well I come from a memory of when Riordan beat SH twice regular season, then SH beat Riordan twice, WCAL and CCS, then played a 5th time and the last three games were highly physical and most knew Riordan would win that game as the officials on the Nor Cal Title game were all neutral. Which led to a smaller SH team not being able to be as physical as the refs set the tone early. Bottom line is yes free throws and fouls have a ton to do with it. If the game is called consistently meaning Riordan being so athletic and bigger and say Riordan had 2 fouls and SI 10 then you have a gripe. Or Riordan with 25 free throws and SI 10. Stuff like that sure raise the question. When on the floor I used to always love the famous line from the stands hey ref call it both ways. Yet those fans team had less fouls. So with that said if your going to let the refs make you feel that is why Riordan one of the best teams in the state blew out SI now that they have a damn near fully loaded team, then I wish you much luck watching any WCAL games ever again. It’s a league full of very talented players. Aaron Gordon used to get killed at times. He didn’t complain. He just came back at them and turned them into a poster. Good thing you never went to a Mitty SH girls game when SH was number 1 in the country and Mitty nationally ranked as well. Those games were highly physical. WCAL players are being prepared for the next level. Never once did I see SI folks complain when Tramell was playing or Ali Thomas or Luke Whitehead.

Well I come from a memory of when Riordan beat SH twice regular season, then SH beat Riordan twice, WCAL and CCS, then played a 5th time and the last three games were highly physical and most knew Riordan would win that game as the officials on the Nor Cal Title game were all neutral. Which led to a smaller SH team not being able to be as physical as the refs set the tone early. Bottom line is yes free throws and fouls have a ton to do with it. If the game is called consistently meaning Riordan being so athletic and bigger and say Riordan had 2 fouls and SI 10 then you have a gripe. Or Riordan with 25 free throws and SI 10. Stuff like that sure raise the question. When on the floor I used to always love the famous line from the stands hey ref call it both ways. Yet those fans team had less fouls. So with that said if your going to let the refs make you feel that is why Riordan one of the best teams in the state blew out SI now that they have a damn near fully loaded team, then I wish you much luck watching any WCAL games ever again. It’s a league full of very talented players. Aaron Gordon used to get killed at times. He didn’t complain. He just came back at them and turned them into a poster. Good thing you never went to a Mitty SH girls game when SH was number 1 in the country and Mitty nationally ranked as well. Those games were highly physical. WCAL players are being prepared for the next level. Never once did I see SI folks complain when Tramell was playing or Ali Thomas or Luke Whitehead.
And to think The Jungle awaits the ‘Cats errr 🍒s

And to think The Jungle awaits the ‘Cats errr 🍒s
Oh God or how about back in the St Francis says when you literally had to beat the Lancers and the refs. I have actually only see one game legit controlled by refs. It was when Riordan state title team played at Bishop O Dowd and the doctor would have to confirm the exact totals. But the dragons took roughly 54 free throws to Riordans 24, possibly a tad less

Reactions: ArmchairGOAT
Went to SJ State/SDSU game last night. 2 Riordan kids got zero PT. Any scoop on why not? Trammel did his thing but not sure hes playing for the team, looked different than other times ive seen him play
SJS is a real heavy world wide roster "do you know the way to san jose"............

First- Cardenas SJS PG absolutely balled out last night - outplayed both SDS guards. Vaihola (Riordan) was or is in a leg brace.
The NIL $ collective is non existent @ SJ. Coach Miles is going the international route since players from abroad can't take part in NIL $ per their visas.

SJS is a real heavy world wide roster "do you know the way to san jose".............
I believe Vaihola is medically redshirting, and Wise is only a freshman.

First- Cardenas SJS PG absolutely balled out last night - outplayed both SDS guards. Vaihola (Riordan) was or is in a leg brace.
The NIL $ collective is non existent @ SJ. Coach Miles is going the international route since players from abroad can't take part in NIL $ per their visas.
that is tough if they cant get the NIL going.

Reactions: sylvan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT