ADVERTISEMENT

Riordan Wins the 61st Annual Crusader Classic !

preseason rankings are nice. Water cooler talk. But you have to play the games...J serra is better then windward. Its not close. And teams aill get better during the sessio as they jell or worse as things fall apart.

Simmer down. Jserra will not be a top 20 team in SoCal. They looked great on paper but it’s just not there. Looking at there roster I had them top 10. After watching them play they are about 22-25.

Back to the tournament. A nice set up for tonights semis. A nice inter-city match up: the predominate AAA power v. skies the limit WCAL team. The first game, two of the historically best programs from the East Bay. Will make for an entertaining night. Mission's full court one on one pressure will force Riordan to go 3-4 deep onto their bench. However, once in half-court, Riordan should dominate paint (over and under on alley oop dunks: 5) Not sure what kind of zone defense Mission plays (if at all). I think their one on one in half court will excite Riordan's 1-2 punch. It will be a slow bleed but I see Riordan winning by at least 10, but a lot of tired players at end of day. Mission relatively young this year, but should be comfortable by league. Dont know enough of other semi but both well coached. Is it a whos call? Dont forget best high school concession stand ever.

Reactions: jordan24
The Mills game was bigger than people know...Bryce is out for tonight's contest.
Better safe than sorry. To good health. Please correct me if I am wrong Mr. Monroe. Concussion based, I suspect. Took two quick shots to head, (one under east basket, soon thereafter another one on opposite end. Looked a little woozy. Again, better safe early. Hope just precautionary.

Reactions: Renard Monroe
preseason rankings are nice. Water cooler talk. But you have to play the games...J serra is better then windward. Its not close. And teams aill get better during the sessio as they jell or worse as things fall apart.
1 team? And that’s debatable. Windward brought everyone back off a 25 win team. Good luck with that.

Again, back to the tournament guys. San Ramon Valley upsets St. Pats in OT. Halftime Riordan 36 - Mission 30. The big and Clark both have 3 fouls. Is it possible Riordan will tire out? Hubbard keeping Riordan afloat. Riordan shooting better from perimeter tonight. Both teams shooting horribly at line.
Riordan too much in second half. Mission closes within 2 and Riordan goes on 10-0 run. Mission better than I expected but Riordan bench proved too much. Riordan 71-51. Both teams tired which showed as weak knees at ft line for both teams. Entertaining game. Good luck to Riordan and SRV.

Last edited:
I know Mission plays a hectic style because they need too, but the crusaders look sloppy and undisciplined without Bryce.

Again, back to the tournament guys. San Ramon Valley upsets St. Pats in OT. Halftime Riordan 36 - Mission 30. The big and Clark both have 3 fouls. Is it possible Riordan will tire out? Hubbard keeping Riordan afloat. Riordan shooting better from perimeter tonight. Both teams shooting horribly at line.
Not really an upset considering SPSV starting point guard and leading scorer hasn’t played at all this tournament.
Whole different team when healthy.

Reactions: CityVibesII
I know Mission plays a hectic style because they need too, but the crusaders look sloppy and undisciplined without Bryce.
Mission's helter skelter style of play makes lots of teams look sloppy. Riordan struggled, particularly the bigs, with the pace of play in the first half as well Bryce not suited up. Mor and Je'Lani each had 3 fouls with 2 coming in on one play for Je'lani - a personal foul and technical.
In the 2nd half, the Crusaders settled down and appeared more comfortable with the pace of play and rather than forcing things, ran their sets as well as continued to play man D. A combination of not boxing out their man and hustle of the Bears gave Mission 2nd and 3rd chances. Playing without Bryce was a good test for the team because as sloppy as it was, the Crusaders won ugly going away by 20 points. Je'lani, Lee Hubbard and Mor were players who had good games overall. Coach Curtin emptied his bench with under 4 minutes remaining.
Tomorrow's championship game against SRV gives the Crusaders a glimpse of a WCAL-style team that is well coached, disciplined and physical. A good tune up for the upcoming week with Weston Ranch and the Gridley Tournament.

@CityVibesII what time is the 3rd place game and championship tomorrow in the crusader classic?
The bracket shows the 3rd place game (SPSV vs Mission) @ 5pm and the Championship game (Riordan vs SRV) at 8pm Saturday night. Hoping that's an error and the championship game has an earlier start time.

Reactions: m4success
Great win for Riordan. I’m very impressed with their Team. Hubbard, Monroe and Clark are a 3 Guard Trio that will be extremely hard to stop. Those Riordan BIGS are to die for. If you invest in them (COACH THEM RIGHT) and work them out and skill and train them it will pay off dividends come March. I like Mission as well. My Son, Julian Neal, #12, who plays for Mission, where I went, Class of ‘93’ is on his way. He had a hell of a Football Season as well and just jumped into Basketball within the last two weeks since losing a heartbreaker to Balboa 25-24 in the AAA Football playoffs. Nothing but the best for both teams and I pray Bryce feels better and rests up. Riordan holds a special place in my Family. My Brother, John Neal, Jr., is A Crusader, Class of ‘82’, Julian’s Uncle, Aaron Criswell, another Crusader, Class of ‘2010’ He went on to play Football at UNLV. My heart is with them Bears and Crusaders!!!

Last edited:
The bracket shows the 3rd place game (SPSV vs Mission) @ 5pm and the Championship game (Riordan vs SRV) at 8pm Saturday night. Hoping that's an error and the championship game has an earlier start time.
Riordan runs a dual JV/Varsity tournament. On last day, they usually have third place Varsity game at 5 followed by JV championship game, then Varsity championship game.

Reactions: jordan24
Riordan runs a dual JV/Varsity tournament. On last day, they usually have third place Varsity game at 5 followed by JV championship game, then Varsity championship game.
Forgot about the JV tournament going at the same time. Thanks CityVibesII

Reactions: CityVibesII
Saturday's Varsity Championship Bracket Schedule

ELMsmKpUYAAm4Yx

What why is the third-place game at 5 in the championship at 8 what would be the reason for an hour and a 1/2 Gap?

As CityVibes mentioned previously, The JV Crusader Classic Final is at 6:30pm.

Not really an upset considering SPSV starting point guard and leading scorer hasn’t played at all this tournament.
Everyone has injuries and misses guys during a season. It happens. Don’t rationalize it. They still have more than enough talent to get it done against a very average SRV. SPSV will have the best player on the floor in every game this year and they did last night too.

Reactions: ayalar09

Must be the trickling down of that Load Management crap from the NBA :rolleyes:

I feel Dishon Jackson's game hasnt grown much at all since I saw him play against Lick-Wilmerding his freshman year. A lot of that is due to injuries he has had, but for his height and build, he should be absolutely inhaling rebounds against most of these teams.

Rebounding is about how bad do you want it, and sometimes I feel like Jackson isn't playing with full effort. One missing PG shouldn't make the difference between a win/loss if you are a good team!

Reactions: Renard Monroe
Why hasn't he played?
Ankle injury from what I’ve heard.
I feel Dishon Jackson's game hasnt grown much at all since I saw him play against Lick-Wilmerding his freshman year. A lot of that is due to injuries he has had, but for his height and build, he should be absolutely inhaling rebounds against most of these teams.

Rebounding is about how bad do you want it, and sometimes I feel like Jackson isn't playing with full effort. One missing PG shouldn't make the difference between a win/loss if you are a good team!
21 turnovers tonight against a below average team.
A starting point guard CAN make a BIG difference on any and every team.

Great win for Riordan. I’m very impressed with their Team. Hubbard, Monroe and Clark are a 3 Guard Trio that will be extremely hard to stop. Those Riordan BIGS are to die for. If you invest in them (COACH THEM RIGHT) and work them out and skill and train them it will pay off dividends come March. I like Mission as well. My Son, Julian Neal, #12, who plays for Mission, where I went, Class of ‘93’ is on his way.

Word Emmett!! Sounds like your little one is making strides and impacting the game at Mission....always a proud feeling when your kids follow your footsteps. How's EJ doing in his first year at college? Is he contributing on his team?

Riordan threatened to pull away early in the 3rd, but SRV came back with a mini-run of their own... 37-34 halfway thru the 3rd.

Whoa... Niiiiiice move by Monroe! 46-37 after SRV had tied it up at 37...

Another great move on a fast break by Monroe FT good, Riordan by 9. Monroe has 25.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT