ADVERTISEMENT

Riordan Wins the 61st Annual Crusader Classic !

No quit in SRV... Long 3 pulls them within 6, and a nice defensive play gets it back... but they miss both FT's following a foul... Nother SRV basket after a turnover gets 'em back to 49-45.

Riordan rebounds a missed FT and scores, up by 6.. but SRV answers. 51-47

Nice back-cut off a broken play by SRV, gets back within 5. Now 4 after FT good... 56-52, 2:38 left 4th Q.

Rebound foul by Riordan, 1 and 1 for SRV. Front end good... Back end, nope

Clark spins clock, takes a 3, rebounds it himself... but SRV steals! And scores! 58-55, Riordan lead and ball, 55 seconds left.

Clark with a sweet driving layup, Riordan block, Monroe drives and scores... and fouled. Suddenly it's 63-55. Monroe with 31... Gonna be a 65-57 final.

There are alot of riordan supporters on this Board who are very knowledgeable and know way more about there team then I do after seeing two games so far this season.
after seeing tonight's game I am not sure if tonight's formula can play out for the success of what the expectations are for this season there were long stretches of the game where the other players were not involved in the offense at all.There was little
to no ball movement with pretty much guys just standing around the perimeter.granted
The gaurds on this team are very good but
Can 2 guys carry the load for 4 months with out the other 3 guys getting into the flow of the offense?

Word Emmett!! Sounds like your little one is making strides and impacting the game at Mission....always a proud feeling when your kids follow your footsteps. How's EJ doing in his first year at college? Is he contributing on his team?
Thanks so much for your kind response. We must know each other because you called me by my first name lol heck, I don’t hide and I’m glad when people can call me out in familiarity! My little one (Julian) is coming along and blazing new trails. EJ is doing his 5th year at Balboa School in Escondido, Cali. He’s doing very well, getting good looks, is playing in the Grind Session and growing by leaps and bounds. He’s getting ready for the next level. He had 4 D1 offers and other young men committed to those schools before he was even given the chance to do an official visit. Yet, our prayer is more schools will come with offers and by spring and even summer, he will make a decision. It’s a win-win situation for EJ. He’s a straight A student right now. I’m a proud Dad. I pray and hope the best for my two boys. I pray for the ultimate success of all of our kids no matter what route they take. Congrats to Riordan on winning their Tourney. Mission will be back next year and hopefully it might be a Mission/Riordan Final! Crusaders!!!

There are alot of riordan supporters on this Board who are very knowledgeable and know way more about there team then I do after seeing two games so far this season.
after seeing tonight's game I am not sure if tonight's formula can play out for the success of what the expectations are for this season there were long stretches of the game where the other players were not involved in the offense at all.There was little
to no ball movement with pretty much guys just standing around the perimeter.granted
The gaurds on this team are very good but
Can 2 guys carry the load for 4 months with out the other 3 guys getting into the flow of the offense?
But that’s what preseason is for bones40. Let’s face and admit it, or maybe I’m lost. Riordan is loaded, even Stevie Wonder can see this. They are still figuring everything out. My guess is we will see a steady progression of a group of boys who will develop as the Coaches guide them. Riordan May even lose some games and may in fact suffer upsets BUT, from what I’ve witnessed, Riordan is dangerous, not being biased or maybe I am a little lol Riordan is a dangerous Team, period. But, they will lose some games. But I’m certain come March, nobody will want to see them if Coaching is successful. Hell, I wanna Coach them lol

Last edited:
Bryce reminds me a lot of Nate Robinson and/or Markus Howard (Marquette). Just an unbelievable knack for scoring. I knew he was a good player, but his ability to score, maybe 2nd to none in the City right now.

Riordan has all the pieces to make it work, but In order for it to click they need the bigs to be way more dominant than they have been. Noticed a lot of fouls over the past couple games, but that can be easily fixed.

My first look at Riordan. Brought my son and his friends from his 5th grade team.
Some of my observations were confirmed by talking to those around me that the big men are raw in terms of basketball experience. You could see the stark difference in the opposing team players, though not nearly as tall and athletic, they knew their roles and had solid fundamentals. Those Riordan bigs need to work on their catches from their teammates and spend more time in the weight room so they can be more physical with their opponents. Lots of times the ball was literally knocked out of their hands. Their post fundamentals of simply putting a body on their opponent and boxing out was sorely missing.
Probably the most troubling thing to hear from my kids who were sitting down low was some of the 'attitude" displayed by some of the players not accepting responsibility and pointing it's the other guy's fault. Lots of bad body language and sulking could be seen from the Riordan bench. This coach has the challenge of teaching these boys to work as a team and dealing with team cohesion and unity. We win and lose together mentality. It was not lost on people on the stands seeing this in full display.
I understand these are kids, but these players, especially those dynamic senior guards need to be a good example to their teammates.
Don't get me wrong, this team is very good right, but the sky is the limit. WIll be a shame if they don't address this since it's really early in the season to work these things out. Good luck!

My first look at Riordan. Brought my son and his friends from his 5th grade team.
Some of my observations were confirmed by talking to those around me that the big men are raw in terms of basketball experience. You could see the stark difference in the opposing team players, though not nearly as tall and athletic, they knew their roles and had solid fundamentals. Those Riordan bigs need to work on their catches from their teammates and spend more time in the weight room so they can be more physical with their opponents. Lots of times the ball was literally knocked out of their hands. Their post fundamentals of simply putting a body on their opponent and boxing out was sorely missing.
Probably the most troubling thing to hear from my kids who were sitting down low was some of the 'attitude" displayed by some of the players not accepting responsibility and pointing it's the other guy's fault. Lots of bad body language and sulking could be seen from the Riordan bench. This coach has the challenge of teaching these boys to work as a team and dealing with team cohesion and unity. We win and lose together mentality. It was not lost on people on the stands seeing this in full display.
I understand these are kids, but these players, especially those dynamic senior guards need to be a good example to their teammates.
Don't get me wrong, this team is very good right, but the sky is the limit. WIll be a shame if they don't address this since it's really early in the season to work these things out. Good luck!
I'll take things that never happened for 1,000 Alex.

Reactions: jordan24
how does one act and play when the chips are down. one of the hardest things to coach. i will give de la salle props there. they never seem to be rattled or bickering among themselves.

Good win for the Crusaders last night against a never give up WCAL-style SRV team.
Looking forward to next week’s gauntlet with games against Weston Ranch @ The Crusader Forum and Capital Christian in the opening game of the Gridley Invitational.

Reactions: Renard Monroe
Never saw any bickering or sulking. Riordan won the game . People always looking for something negative to say. Putting people under a microscope. Those senior guards are leading by example. If a player gets on a another player its bickering and etc when it comes to certain players. When two guards are 80% of the offense at Campolindo those kids are gritty and great. However you want to spin it. 11 guys played on Riordan last night in a championship game. That's unheard of.

Never saw any bickering or sulking. Riordan won the game . People always looking for something negative to say. Putting people under a microscope. Those senior guards are leading by example. If a player gets on a another player its bickering and etc when it comes to certain players. When two guards are 80% of the offense at Campolindo those kids are gritty and great. However you want to spin it. 11 guys played on Riordan last night in a championship game. That's unheard of.
you know that go

But that’s what preseason is for bones40. Let’s face and admit it, or maybe I’m lost. Riordan is loaded, even Stevie Wonder can see this. They are still figuring everything out. My guess is we will see a steady progression of a group of boys who will develop as the Coaches guide them. Riordan May even lose some games and may in fact suffer upsets BUT, from what I’ve witnessed, Riordan is dangerous, not being biased or maybe I am a little lol Riordan is a dangerous Team, period. But, they will lose some games. But I’m certain come March, nobody will want to see them if Coaching is successful. Hell, I wanna Coach them lol
Totally agree. Hats off to Riordan in scheduling a demanding non-league schedule to get this team (with only 2 returning starters) to prepare and position them to do well come WCAL and post season.

Reactions: m4success
I was hoping Jelani would learn from his overexuberance by senior year. Has all the physical tools to play in Mountain West. The game is slow to him at high school level (that's a good thing), just his coaches and teammates need to know he will be there when things get tough in WCAL play. Its up to the coaches to set the example and not coddle their stars. Clark and Monroe have had the opportunity in the off-season to play with other talented players, but understand a high school team is different. There are some young talented players on the team and Monroe and Clark and coaching staff need to set the example. Skies the limit with this team

Last edited:
Totally agree. Hats off to Riordan in scheduling a demanding non-league schedule to get this team (with only 2 returning starters) to prepare and position them to do well come WCAL and post season.

Only 2 returning starters, who just happen to be 2 X first team all league guards and possibly the best guard combo in norcal. They will be fine. Their size gives them a significant advantage over all of the WCAL /CCS teams. Only concern in coaching.

Reactions: Renard Monroe
I feel Dishon Jackson's game hasnt grown much at all since I saw him play against Lick-Wilmerding his freshman year. A lot of that is due to injuries he has had, but for his height and build, he should be absolutely inhaling rebounds against most of these teams.

Rebounding is about how bad do you want it, and sometimes I feel like Jackson isn't playing with full effort. One missing PG shouldn't make the difference between a win/loss if you are a good team!
I have said this for a long time. It’s been my biggest criticism of the SPSV program.

Only 2 returning starters, who just happen to be 2 X first team all league guards and possibly the best guard combo in norcal. They will be fine. Their size gives them a significant advantage over all of the WCAL /CCS teams. Only concern in coaching.
Serdaprs it's obvious you have a basketball up your arse when it comes to the coaches. Just like when the Sacred Heart coach was getting reemed on this board until he took his team to the Open championship. These teams including Weston Ranch and SPSV are made up of teenagers. Things will never be perfect. Remember the sickening antics from the Serra basketball team last year after they beat SI? Just try to enjoy the games for what they are.

Yeap so far up my Arse I am draining 3's. Sickening antics? Rushing the court to celebrate a great come from behind victory against your biggest rival? No, the crotch grabbing incident, I will give you that. Lets remember it takes two to tango. A lot of things happened up at SI in the first game that people don't want to talk about. I will leave it at that.

Yeap so far up my Arse I am draining 3's. Sickening antics? Rushing the court to celebrate a great come from behind victory against your biggest rival? No, the crotch grabbing incident, I will give you that. Lets remember it takes two to tango. A lot of things happened up at SI in the first game that people don't want to talk about. I will leave it at that.
i missed it.. what happened?

I was hoping Jelani would learn from his overexuberance by senior year. Has all the physical tools to play in Mountain West. The game is slow to him at high school level (that's a good thing), just his coaches and teammates need to know he will be there when things get tough in WCAL play. Its up to the coaches to set the example and not coddle their stars. Clark and Monroe have had the opportunity in the off-season to play with other talented players, but understand a high school team is different. There are some young talented players on the team and Monroe and Clark and coaching staff need to set the example. Skies the limit with this team

This can be looked at as good and bad, but Jelani Clark's play, passion, on court demeanor, and almost his facial appearance reminds me of Lance Stephenson. I can't wait until he rocks the air guitar during one game!

This can be looked at as good and bad, but Jelani Clark's play, passion, on court demeanor, and almost his facial appearance reminds me of Lance Stephenson. I can't wait until he rocks the air guitar during one game!
are we sure we wanna model Lance?

Reactions: damim
what about the triple single stat king Draymond? He worse than Lance or JR with on court demeanor

I mean when you get a defensive metric stat named after you, you are doing pretty good for yourself. Draymond saving a lot of cash this season with his injuries and less time to accrue techs.

1) sierra Canyon
2) mater dei
3) SJB
4) rancho Christian
5) cen10
6) etiwanda
7) westchester
8) Damien
9) Fairfax
10) bishop mont.
11) windward
12) Mayfair
13) st Augustine
14) norte dame Sherman oaks
15) Santa Clarita Christian

I couldn’t find them in my top 15. Not yet. Maybe later on in the season. ND (so) is they only toss up I have. The rest would easily beat what I have seen from jserra. I’m probably missing a few Easy ones too. Also it’s easy to travel when your a private school with $$$$$$

JSerra double digit win over Mayfair.

I mean when you get a defensive metric stat named after you, you are doing pretty good for yourself. Draymond saving a lot of cash this season with his injuries and less time to accrue techs.
draymond is mediocre and its showing this season... he and kerr getting shown for what they are

You see J Serra just beat Mayfair. 85 to 75. So J serra must be ok...Better than you think. Did u see that?

1) sierra Canyon
2) mater dei
3) SJB
4) rancho Christian
5) cen10
6) etiwanda
7) westchester
8) Damien
9) Fairfax
10) bishop mont.
11) windward
12) Mayfair
13) st Augustine
14) norte dame Sherman oaks
15) Santa Clarita Christian

I couldn’t find them in my top 15. Not yet. Maybe later on in the season. ND (so) is they only toss up I have. The rest would easily beat what I have seen from jserra. I’m probably missing a few Easy ones too. Also it’s easy to travel when your a private school with $$$$$$

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT