ADVERTISEMENT

Sacred Heart Prep deserves the Norcal bid over Grant

Dec 6, 2014
SHP beat Salinas (CCS D1 finalist), Terra Nova (D3 finalist), Burlingame, Oak Grove (league champ), Los Gatos (who destroyed WCAL champ Serra 28-0), and Bellarmine (who beat Milpitas and Valley Christian).

It is absurd to consider computer rankings of high school teams to justify Grant being picked over SHP. The NCAA couldn't even do that successfully, but small sports media company publishes rankings and they are supposed to be taken seriously?

Congrats to Grant for an unbeaten season, but they are the second best team in their section after Folsom, so they are SOL.

Grant won the Division TWO title last night. Unfortunately for them, their section does not have an Open division. so they didn't get to play Folsom. SHP ran the table in the CCS Open and deserves a shot at Folsom.

Think they don't have a chance? Ask El Cerrito.

This is what Norcal and state championships are supposed to be all about: pitting the top teams from DIFFERENT sections against one another to decide on the field who is better. Folsom is the best team from SJS, SHP is the best from CCS. Using "computer rankings" generated by a media company as a way to justify matching up 2 teams from the same section is a JOKE.

I hear what you're saying. You probably wont get allot of traction by throwing all computer rankings under the bus. Calpreps is a tool used by just about every poster. It sucks that deserving teams are going to be left out. To quote the late, great Tupac, "that's just the way it is".

The Sunday decision, by definition, will be subjective and political. SHP is the likely choice for reasons already stated. On paper, perhaps Grant is more impressive. Maybe. Maybe not. The SHP resume is excellent. As the only CCS rep in the whole regional enchilada, SHP also benefits. If they don't get the bid, it will be a surprise.

Jimmy, you argument is tainted. By your logic who is to say Folsom is better then Grant. D2 in the SJS was deeper then D1 so who is to say. SHP won their Open, Grant won their section. It is just a crappy system. I am a St. Mary's of Stockton Alum and have no love for the Pacers here, but on paper Grant is the pick. Tougher schedule and the same record. SHP has its open Title. You can argue this both ways. Same section issue is a bad choice. I would like to see the Fresno/Bakersfield group added to our 4 groups. Then from 5 section winners they could award an Open slot and have the other 4 playing for D1 and D2 state games. Nor Cal then would be far better represented. I am sure the kids from Fresno and Bakersfield have very little chance of selection against the LA world.

I'm an NCS guy, so I don't have a dog in this fight, but looking at both teams schedules, I think Grant has played a tougher schedule top to bottom and deserves to go. The SJS is a lot larger than the CCS so it is a much deeper section so yes, there number 2 team could be better than the CCS's #1. Comparing Grant and El Cerito is apples to oranges. El Cerito is. D3 team, and although they were good last year, they were no Grant. The SJS D2 playoffs top. 8 seeds may be better than any other 8 team playoff bracket in Nor Cal. I just don't think this was a strong year for the CCS as a whole.

Before the Grant game last night I was pulling for Grant to make the regional playin game. After watching last nights game and seeing what SHP has done, I feel that SHP has done enough to deserve a shot at the playin game, whomever that may be against.

Actually CCS could get a D3 rep in the bowl play-in if Aptos wins tonight. They have an excellent resume. It will be pretty close between Aptos and Sutter if they win. While the CCS D2 winner would be a candidate, SHP and a D3 Aptos (if they win tonight) have reasonable shots. All playoff winners deserve a shot. The question is how the committee will vote and they have not always chosen as the so called experts predict.

Hahahahahaha

I hear you.... but....

I think, when it comes down to it, all 4 teams will play each other next week. If not, they should be pushed down to the D3 regional game. I've seen SHP play on film against Burlingame. Like everyone else, they deserve to keep on playing. Winning the CCS Open was a huge accomplishment and they should be rewarded. Does Sacred Heart really want to participate in the D1 regional game or would they rather play in the d3 game?

Another question would be does Folsom want to play De la Salle? If Oceanside beats Helix, a Bosco vs Oceanside matchup makes sense. We could also see an Edison Fresno vs. Mission Viejo matchup. The CIF can fix this if they choose to. They created the State games, so teams from different sections could match up.

It would be nice to see a De la Salle vs. Folsom and Grant vs SHP at the same venue.

People keep saying this Folsom team is elite and different from years past.

I think both teams deserve the opportunity to play Folsom in the D1 regional game. This is how I looked at it before the games yesterday. I said if Grant blows St. Mary's out they're in without a doubt. This would have shown the CCS folks how dominate Grant is this year. But that was the furthest thing from happening. With Grant playing a close game with St. Mary's it makes me believe that they are no better than the top CCS teams this year. St. I beat St. Mary's and Los Gatos took St. Mary's into overtime. Will guess what, SHP beat Los Gatos without over time. So I think it's only fair to allow the Open CCS champ to go against the SJS D1 champ since Grant and SHP are evenly matched.

I agree. I can't believe this is even a debate. Grant is not even in D1 - they are a D2 team! Why would they be selected over an undefeated, undisputed CCS Open champ?

I realize the CIF is based in Sacramento and both Folsom and Grant are located a few miles from the office, but this would be one of the all-time homer referee local yokel screw jobs if they pick those 2 local teams to represent all of Norcal.

You, sir, are correct, sir. As the late, great Ed McMahon would say. SHP has traveled a very tough road. Its body of work speaks for itself. Forget the fact that it has just 300 boys. Bellarmine has 1,600. Look what happened Friday night in San Jose on the Bells' home field. As for Aptos, let's see if they can beat SI one more time. If they do, let that conversation commence at about 9:45 p.m. this evening.

Originally posted by Greek the Jimmy:
I agree. I can't believe this is even a debate. Grant is not even in D1 - they are a D2 team! Why would they be selected over an undefeated, undisputed CCS Open champ?

I realize the CIF is based in Sacramento and both Folsom and Grant are located a few miles from the office, but this would be one of the all-time homer referee local yokel screw jobs if they pick those 2 local teams to represent all of Norcal.
Greek
You obviously don't have a clue. Grant is not a DI team, they play in one of the 2 largest leagues in the SJS, I won't bother explaining to you the SJS playoff system, as you seemingly wouldn't understand it anyway. Too bad SHP can't accept the DIII bid for Nor Cal. Just think about it this way...by not getting selected, they'll avoid losing to Folsom by 40 next week. It may be the only way for the CCS to avoid a other loss to SJS in the DI Regional.

It seems to me that it would be hard to justify placing SHP over Grant just on the basis of # of wins and SOS.

Grant has beat 5 top 100 Ca. teams
SHP has only beat 2 top 100 Ca. teams

Grant has beat 9 top 200 Ca. teams
SHP has only beat 3 top 200 Ca. teams

The average final rank of all opponents for Grant is 190 in state
The average final rank of all opponents for SHP is 320 in state

Grant has won 4 post season games
SHP has only won 3 post season games

Grant record 14-0
SHP record 13-0

Final win loss record of all Grant opponents 97-66
Final win loss record of all SHP opponents 81-68

Grant has beat 3 teams ranked above SHP (Elk Grove, Vacaville, and St. Mary's)

Grant should not be penalized by CCS adding open division in the thoughts that CCS should not be left out.

I believe if anything leaves Grant out it will be their sportsmanship, people have stated it was poor during both the St Mary's game and the Vacaville game.

All selection points aside it is hard to dispute the above facts. If SHP had scheduled better teams one of two things would have happened, A: they would have possibly lost a game or B: they would have the SOS to move on to play.
It will be unfortunate if the decision is made either because of Money (gate draw) or Pity by CIF for the CCS being left out.
I guess we will see soon.

SHP is undefeated and deserve to play
Grant is undefeated and also deserve to play
only 1 team will play so somebody's getting left out
Take the team names off and compare the above and give your opinion on who really deserves to play.

I'm a new poster to this board and need some clarification. Why would Grant be playing in the Div1 "play in" game (if chosen) when they competed in the div 2 playoffs this year?

Fan4444, Grant was simply playing in a alternate bracket that just happens to be named D2. The SJS is a large section and to get the right amount of teams into the playoffs they take the top 32 teams and then split them up into two 16 team brackets based on enrollment. Before the State Bowl series this was not so confusing. Perhaps the brackets should be renamed. Also depending on the year the "D2" bracket can be stronger than the "D1" bracket. All 32 teams are considered D1 in the State Bowls.

This year may as well been the case of the DII bracket being the tougher of thee two. There were some real tough teams in there.
Grant is a bubble team who can either play DI or DII in SJS depending on which teams make the play offs.

Then shame on the SJS for not putting Folsom and Grant in the same bracket. This SJS incompetence should NOT be rewarded by having these 2 local public schools play in a NorCal game (out of 590+ schools).

Folsom and Grant are 19 miles away from each other! Figure it out in league, non-league or SJS playoffs -- not in the NorCal game.

It's a NorCal bowl game -- 590+ schools from 6 sections -- not a Sacramento city championship game. If CIF hooks up these 2 hometown teams it will be a disgrace to the organization.

As per the section guidelines, Grant deserves the bid.
There could be some political mumbo jumbo that gets SHP the bid, but I doubt it.

SHP has about the same strength of an arguement as Folsom has for Open

The fact that we're debating whether a d3 team should get the d1 bowl bid over a d1 team is absurd, or business as usual for the ccs/cif. 599/2039.

Grant is one of the best teams in Northern California regardless of division, and they are deserving of the chance to play in the NorCal championship game. I haven't seen SHP play this year, but from what posters have been saying about them all season, it would not surprise many if they get the nod instead of Grant. But to complain in advance of the decision that Grant shouldn't get the chance to play Folsom simply because they are in the same Section is a mistake and does no one any good. I want to see the best teams play each other period, even if they are neighbors. What is really too bad is it doesn't look like Folsom will get a chance to play DLS this year when it seems they may finally have the team to take the NorCal crown from them. Until the State Championship series expands further, fans are still left wondering what if and debating who's really the best team.

"The fact that we're debating whether a d3 team should get the d1 bowl bid over a d1 team is absurd"

Agreed!!

There's many great D3 teams in cali playing in sections that require them to go D1 for sbg. Look at St. Bonnies, Oaks xtian, etc. If you have a team that wins a D1 section, wtf difference does it make what size their school is?? SHP has proven themselves ON THE FIELD. That's what the game is about, not the bs you're putting on this board. What's absurd is throwing your helmet on the ground like Grant 77.
This post was edited on 12/7 5:37 AM by 1tunz1

Then shame on the SJS for not putting Folsom and Grant in the same bracket. This SJS incompetence should NOT be rewarded by having these 2 local public schools play in a NorCal game (out of 590+ schools).

Folsom and Grant are 19 miles away from each other! Figure it out in league, non-league or SJS playoffs -- not in the NorCal game.

It's a NorCal bowl game -- 590+ schools from 6 sections -- not a Sacramento city championship game. If CIF hooks up these 2 hometown teams it will be a disgrace to the organization.
Again your ignorance reigns....if you understood (which you don't) the number of DI leagues in the SJS, you'd have a better understanding of why your comment is ridiculous. Your should re-phrase your own comment and state "Shame on the CCS for forcing SHP into the Open bracket". Grants enrollment size requires them to play DI for SBG purposes, SHP's does not. So you tell me which section should be shamed??

CCS identified the undisputed best team in the section: SHP. They are wearing the belt and should advance to take on the best of the rest.

It sounds like Grant is the 2nd best team in SJS. They also barely beat St Mary's who lost to SI, a CCS team with 6 losses! Six!

The team that got screwed by the system is Grant, bc they never got a chance to face Folsom. The CIF should not bail them out by creating that game in Norcals.

I agree, I feel like the SJS made a "fool proof system" to allow the SJS to have two D1 teams competing for the State Bowl game. CCS does something of the opposite and produces only one bowl eligible team (that has any spine).

I don't think this is a slam dunk decision for the committee, however it really isn't that important since whoever they pick is going to be a very heavy underdog.

Hey I'm with you CCS, I so want to see SHP play in Norcal are kidding me. Nothing could be better:

2012 GRANITE BAY 45 SI 17
2013 DO 28 Serra 20

2014 FOLSOM ? SHP ?

Anyone want to help me out with this score?

CCS identified the undisputed best team in the section: SHP. They are wearing the belt and should advance to take on the best of the rest.

It sounds like Grant is the 2nd best team in SJS. They also barely beat St Mary's who lost to SI, a CCS team with 6 losses! Six!

The team that got screwed by the system is Grant, bc they never got a chance to face Folsom. The CIF should not bail them out by creating that game in Norcals.
So you wanna call Grant the 2nd best team in the SJS, maybe that is true, but to talk about a close win over a 12-1 team who lost to a mediocre WCAL team, makes absolutely no sense considering SHP had a close win over an even worse WCAL team. Careful what arguments you make when there is a counter argument to be made that actually helps Grant's case.

Anybody know what time the High School Gods sit down today to decide the fate of these kids? It says we will know by early this afternoon

Anyone else thinking the same thing as me:

Is Greek the Jimmy related to mtjohn?

Originally posted by mrbig864:

I DO
laugh.r191677.gif

Originally posted by mrbig864:

LOL - the love is being spread around

NCS - mtnjohn