ADVERTISEMENT

San Mateo County Rankings - Seen by observer

San Mateo 50 Woodside 47

Woodside: DeVitis 20 (9 rebs), Sandoval 13
San Mateo: Chadha 17, McGurk 16 (10 rebs)

Crowd pictures show that you literally could have heard a pin drop as it was EMPTY.

3rd and 4th place in the PAL South are completely up for grabs.

I saw Mills play in the Crusader Classic at the beginning of December.

Mills lost to Mission in the first round game, then went on to win the Consolation Championship.
Mission lost to Berkeley in the Championship Semi Final Game. Mission lost the third place game to Half Moon Bay, when about half the Mission basketball team was playing in the San Francisco Section Football Championship Game on that Saturday. I think about 5 Mission players, including 2 or 3 starters, were on the Football team.

Riordan won the tournament, Half Moon Bay won the third place game over the depleted Mission team.

Mills did not show me, that they were a Elite Team in the C.C.S. at that time.

Maybe Mills has improved since that time.

Did Mills win any tournaments with better teams than the Crusader Classic?
By beating some better teams.

Who are the best wins for Mills? Stuart Hall & Menlo-Atherton

Bad Loss for Mills is Marin Catholic, which has won only 6 games this season. Beating Marin Catholic would have given Mills a game vs. a (19-1) University team.

All valid points. Mission was Mills first game of the season. 3 players started for the first time on varsity. Mission did have their full squad for that game. Those things played a role in their showing. But with that said they were in the game for 31 minutes. Mission pulled away with free throws in the last minute.

Main Catholic is the only team that has been able to successfully crack their zone. The sets they ran against it were fantastic and their shooters were knocking down wide open 3's. Mills went to man way too late. IMO if they switched to man in the 2nd quarter they would have won the game.

I rather see them is their division in CCS than the Open. They would have a very good chance of winning it and moving onto Norcals than if they were in the Open.

They may not have a choice. If they win (or tie for) the PAL-South title and then win the PAL tourney, they almost surely will be in the CCS Open bracket. That would give them an automatic entrance into NorCals as well, likely as a Division III participant. Unless something odd happens along the way, it looks like the Feb. 13 contest vs. Sequoia will determine the PAL-South crown. Then comes the PAL tourney.

Reactions: GOTF
Mills will have to beat Sequoia to even be considered I think. Also they would have to get to atleast the PAL final. At that point they can be considered. Before that I would be astounded if the committee seriously discussed them.

Mills will have to beat Sequoia to even be considered I think. Also they would have to get to atleast the PAL final. At that point they can be considered. Before that I would be astounded if the committee seriously discussed them.

If Mills were to lose to Sequoia close and then win the PAL tourney, the Vikings would almost surely be in the Open.

One game at a time. If they keep winning, things will fall into place. Up first tonight....rivalry game against Capuchino.

Carlmont 44 @ Sequoia 57
Woodside 41 @Menlo-Atherton 82
Aragon 51 @ Hillsdale 47
Burlingame 44 @ San Mateo 48
Capuchino 44 @ Mills 59 After Cap made their first two shots, Mills controlled the rest of the game. Both teams played zone so it was a real methodical game. Once again Mills zone was inpenetrable.

San Mateo won for one reason. Every single offensive rebound was an immediate basket. Absolutely horrendous job by Burlingame boxing out.

Inexorably, the Feb. 13 game between Mills and Sequoia, both unbeaten in PAL-South action so far, looks to be a championship affair. The two teams play only once due to the league's unbalanced schedule. And that contest will be played on the final evening of the regular season in Millbrae.

Regarding that unbalanced PAL-South schedule, that's an unfortunate result of the league's authorities deciding to do away with their three-tier power arrangement (Bay, Ocean and Lake) some years ago and returning to their traditional North (seven schools) and South (10 schools) alignments. There were several reasons for that move but one of the main ones was to restore traditional rivalries reserved for Friday night boys/girls quadruple-headers. That works fine for the North. The schools play a double-round-robin. Not so much for the South. There, each school plays three longtime rivals twice and the other teams once. So, for example, Mills plays Capuchino, Burlingame and Aragon twice and everyone else once. Critics would say that isn't equitable because Sequoia must face defending champion, and still dangerous, Menlo-Atherton twice while Mills gets the Bears only once. The imbalance changes from year to year. But it remains nonetheless. A primary driver in all of this is the San Mateo Union High School District's desire to keep its six schools together (boys and girls) in one consistent arrangement rather than a potential trio (Bay, Ocean, Lake) whose members can change every year.

Last edited:
Having been there for both types of schedules, it was done PRIMARILY, if not EXCLUSIVELY to benefit girls games. The only games where there are any fans for girls games are the Friday night quads.

Having been there for both types of schedules, it was done PRIMARILY, if not EXCLUSIVELY to benefit girls games. The only games where there are any fans for girls games are the Friday night quads.

Not true. SMUHSD officials wanted traditional rivalries renewed and preserved. Girls' games were definitely a factor. But not the only, or primary, factor. That district has more PAL schools than any other and has the most political sway at league meetings. A significant change also occurred when midweek varsity games were started at 5:30 instead of 3:15. For decades, the latter start time had been the rule.

I disagree strongly. Sorry.

No problem. SMUHSD officials want their schools to play each other as much as possible. They don't like the idea of playing Friday night games in Pacifica, Woodside, Daly City and South City against schools with which they have no particular history. The girls, as they should be, are part of the equation.

I didn't say that girls games shouldn't be part of the equation. I said that that was the primary factor. In fact, the PAL destroyed budding rivalries. No one cares about so-called rivalries against weak teams that happen to be nearby.

I didn't say that girls games shouldn't be part of the equation. I said that that was the primary factor. In fact, the PAL destroyed budding rivalries. No one cares about so-called rivalries against weak teams that happen to be nearby.

Again not true. For example, last night's Mills vs. Capuchino quad drew at least 1,300 animated folks to the Mills gym. And Cap is not strong at all this year in either boys or girls. But the student bodies know each other and the rivalry goes back to 1960. That's what the SMUHSD wants.

Here is proof I am right. The ONLY possible way to have girls and boys playing at the same time and place is to have the current setup.

I have NEVER heard a comment or opinion from a student, parent, coach, athletic director or administrator who gives a rat's pitoot about one of these rivalries. Not once, not ever. Not before or after the change..

So who do you believe forced the change? Specifically. No one from the District comes to games so they definitely didn't care.

And by the way, I have been to the quads 3 of the past 4 Fridays and only missed one because I was in Indiana with my son for a college music audition.

As a I recall, current SMUHSD Trustee Linda Lees Dwyer and two former superintendents advocated for the change back to what had existed for generations in the PAL. They had support from other trustees and sent that notion down the line to their principals. Administrators prefer the North/South setup because their presence can be concentrated at one venue on Fridays. Plus, there is the revenue question (and traditional rivalries). I'm not sure whether the present league arrangement generates more money than the equity alignments. Terry Stogner, the PAL commish, would have the numbers on that. Again, one of the primary advocates for the original change to power leagues more than a decade ago was Half Moon Bay's Rich Forslund. He was persuasive in convincing his peers, some of them quite reluctant, that competitive equity was the way to go. He (and some others) got their wish but it was not satisfactory. Half Moon Bay exists as the sole secondary school in the Cabrillo Unified School District so intra-district rivalries don't exist. As for the presence of SMUHSD trustees/administrators at ballgames, I did see Supt. Kevin Skelly at the Capuchino vs. Burlingame girls' game. He happens to be a basketball fan (and former player). He gets out to ballgames when he can. Asst. Supt. Kirk Black has swung by the occasional Aragon game. I have not seen any of the trustees so far this season. That doesn't mean none has attended. I just haven't seen them. For folks who have observed, and been part of, the PAL for decades, the traditional rivalries have meaning. Students seem to enjoy them as well. The SMUHSD has mandated that those games be maintained in football even with the equity setup in place. That didn't work with basketball. To support your points, other large CCS hoops leagues have gone to the equity system and stayed with it. For the PAL, the issue may well come up again. But I would speculate that there would be a lot of resistance to doing away with the present alignment. One more point in your favor, by the way: The PAL maintains power setups in other sports besides football; baseball, soccer, tennis, volleyball, softball, swimming all come to mind. But attendance, revenue and administrative presence aren't issues in those sports. Still, that fact does buttress your point of view in some important ways. Keep the faith. And be sure to swing by Mills on Feb. 13, the last evening of the PAL regular season, for that interesting meeting with Sequoia.

Both you and Turtle Love are partly correct. I had nothing to do with the alignments as I wasn't part of the league until the 2010-11 season. My first and 2nd seasons we were in the Ocean division. We won the Ocean division in year 2, but never made it to a Bay division. The girls and SMUHSD then pushed for the change back to geographic alignment because unless the girls were playing one of their rivals. attendance for their games was poor. They pushed hard for the current alignment.
I personally wanted and would still advocate for a POWER format (3 divisions) as a benefit to the league. Putting the top 5-6 teams provides much meaningful games for the top teams and better prepares them for the post-season. The next 2 divisions could be separated geographically. What that formula needs is a commissioner willing to get creative with the schedule to preserve some natural rivalries and also divide the remaining teams into leagues that make more sense from a competitive standpoint. It would also need the support of Principals that such a format would be best for the league as a whole, but not necessarily better for MY SCHOOL. Good luck with both those prerequisites. This year for example, Jefferson, Mills, HMB, Sequoia and MA and maybe one other school ( for simplicity sake let's just say Carlmont) playing in the top division would make much sense and better prepare them for playoffs. The remaining teams could be split into 2 leagues geographically, say the other 5 PAL North teams in one league and the other 6 teams (1 Sequoia and 5 SMUHSD) in the other league.
With the current format how does a game between Oceana and HMB benefit either school? Absolute waste of time for both programs.
The power league format, had a much stronger advocate in Jeff Dowd (former Burlingame coach) and others, if I am not mistaken, and that I believe is how it emerged. Herb Yapintchay (Westmoor coach and league rep) might have more info on that
During the discussions with the coaches, there were a number of the then girls coaches, who openly stated they preferred the rivalries vs. the power format as they had no chance of beating the WCAL top girls teams in playoffs anyhow. I believed the power format would give teams a better chance to possibly beat a WCAL school as every game played would be much tougher than the current alignment. That argument fell on deaf ears and the current alignment was voted by schools overwhelmingly.

Best swishes,
Coach Rich Forslund

It's a silly "argument" in which ColHenry and I agree on much. In fact, we both agree that the impetus was to grow the crowd size.

However, we all know that each school in the SMUHSD has ONE rival. Burlingame and San Mateo. Hillsdale and Aragon. Cap and Mills. There are no others.

In fact, Burlingame and Mills is such a hot rivalry that the two schools haven't played each other in football since 2008. It's been 10 years!

Why? Because NO ONE CARES. It isn't a rivalry. Remember that large parts of Burlingame students used to attend Mills. Our next door neighbor on Rivera Dr. went to Mills. However, there was NO RIVALRY despite the fact that Mills is steps from Burlingame.

If anyone cared, Burlingame could easily schedule Mills every year, but the District doesn't care and neither does anyone else.

In fact, the only time you can get people to attend girls games is if you have the logistics laid out and the only time you can do that is with the basketball schedule.

Just wondering: Will the PAL revisit the hoops equity matter? Is there a strong move toward a return? We will see. But, so far, not so much. As Coach Forslund notes above, the schools voted for the North/South alignment overwhelmingly. But one never knows. Times do change. By the way, it's pleasant to have a reasonable online discussion without bomb-tossing invective. Stay classy.

I will see you at the Feb. 13 PAL title tilt. I will be more than pleased to buy you a Mills Viking super wiener at the snack bar. Mustard and relish optional.

Reactions: Jaw Knee
There aren't many that actually care about the PAL. Chances are good that we've met before.

Which is kinda sad. There are some very good teams and players in the PAL that doesn't get the recognition they deserve. Sequoia has been dominant, beat Serra twice this year and you really don't hear much about them on this board. HMB, Mills and Jeff are also having a terrific season. Should be an exciting PAL playoff this year!!

Unfortunately, at least in boys' hoops, the reputation of the CCS publics has been less than terrific for some time due to a distinct lack of signature W's outside the league. Sequoia, as you point out, is a strong exception over a two-season period. Burlingame was for awhile too. M-A had a moment or two. But the record is not stellar. Hence the lack of overall interest outside the circuit. Still, that Feb. 13 contest in Millbrae should be worthwhile and interesting.

Just remember that a Heisman Trophy went to a QB from a San Mateo County PUBLIC high school. WCAL schools have none.

But there is a certain WCAL QB with 5 Super Bowl rings and a chance for a sixth this weekend. ;)

But there is a certain WCAL QB with 5 Super Bowl rings and a chance for a sixth this weekend. ;)
Just remember that a Heisman Trophy went to a QB from a San Mateo County PUBLIC high school. WCAL schools have none.
The WCAL sees your Heisman from 50 years ago and raises you three Pro Bowl QB’s: Dan Pastorini (Bells), Dan Fouts (SI) and Brady.

PAL South schedule this week:

Wed 1/29:
Burlingame @ Aragon
Carlmont @ Hillsdale
Capuchino @ Menlo-Atherton
Mills @ Woodside
San Mateo @ Sequoia

Fri 2/2:
Woodside @ Sequoia
Capuchino @ Hillsdale
Aragon @ San Mateo
Burlingame @ Mills
Carlmont @ Menlo-Atherton

The WCAL sees your Heisman from 50 years ago and raises you three Pro Bowl QB’s: Dan Pastorini (Bells), Dan Fouts (SI) and Brady.

... and, sadly, let us not forget the Serra QB who set the records Tom Brady broke at the San Mateo institution: Jesse Freitas. He was NorCal's top-rated QB in 1968 and eventually led the nation in passing as a collegian at San Diego State in the mid-1970s and was drafted by the Chargers (along with Fouts); due to a persistent and debilitating manic-depressive neurological condition, he dropped out of the NFL, floundered for a number of years and could never establish himself in any sort of career. He died alone in the backseat of a car in Sonoma County several years ago. The precise cause was not made public.

Burlingame 47 @ Aragon 50
Carlmont 61 @ Hillsdale 64
Capuchino 43 @ Menlo-Atherton 71
Mills 65 @ Woodside 32 Once again great execution by Mills but Woodside's defense was awful. Every shot was a wide open one and a whole lot of open lanes to the hoop and poor rebounding.
San Mateo 38 @ Sequoia 48

Last edited:
One thing is certain. Burlingame finds a new and frustratingly different way to lose close games. I've seen 3 of the past 4 games. Against Cap, it was the inability to shoot. Against San Mateo, it was the inability to rebound defensively and last night against Aragon, it was turnovers; 23 to be exact.

Burlingame trailed 19-7 early in the second, but Aragon decided to slow it down. Made no sense and it cost Aragon. They scored just 9 points over the next 15 minutes and Burlingame took a 5 point lead.

Once Aragon decided to run again, Sam Manu scored at will and they took the lead back. However, they slowed it down again and turned the ball over a couple more times, but Burlingame turned it over two more times. Aragon led by 6 with just over a minute to play. Manu finished with 26 on 10-12 shooting from the field.

Gavin Coleman cut the Aragon lead to 1 with 4 seconds left with a long 3 pt basket. Aragon made 2 free throws to put the Dons up 3 with 3 seconds remaining.

A long 3 attempt by Gavin Coleman at the buzzer hit the backboard and the rim, but fell off and the Dons won 50-47.

Burlingame has no room left for losses. Either they win their final four games of the regular season to qualify for CCS or their season is over.

Burlingame will have a huge senior night Feb 9 with 12 seniors on the team.

Burlingame fell to 3-17, 2-6 in the PAL. Aragon improved to 10-9, 4-4 in league play.

For those who did not know, Burlingame coach Pete Harames is retiring at the end of the season. Pete has a NorCal Championship and 2 CCS Championships (1 with Cap and 1 with Burlingame) and lost the D3 1995 state championship with Capuchino by 1 point to Verbum Dei.

Would love to get as many people there to help honor Pete on Feb 9, which is also Senior Night.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT