ADVERTISEMENT

San Mateo County Rankings - Seen by observer

I've seen Burlingame play twice. They lack a play maker. Last year and this year. They have a couple kids who can shoot but no one to really command the team on both sides of the ball. And they got like 20 kids on the team but with a short rotation. Why don't let some of those kids play on JV and develop into players.

Burlingame told a quick 10-0 lead at Senior Night at Mills and is now ICE COLD. Burlingame hasn't scored in a full quarter against the Mills zone and Mills now leads 12-10.

When Mills got to 50 pts, it was a 50 to 10 run. Burlingame couldn't hit a jumper against the zone again. Ugly loss for them.

Lol. That little thing they did to spook the free throw shooter towards the end of the game was funny.

Where was the Burlingame student body? They didn't show up for a rivalry game? That's unlike them.

What rivalry? Burlingame hasn't played Mills in football in 10 years. Burlingame's Principal came from Mills but other than that, no one at Burlingame cares about Mills.

What rivalry? Burlingame hasn't played Mills in football in 10 years. Burlingame's Principal came from Mills but other than that, no one at Burlingame cares about Mills.

I guess theyll come out only to support a winning team.

I do not know of ANY boys basketball coach other than Pete Harames in CCS history that has won section championships at TWO public schools.

I do not know of ANY boys basketball coach other than Pete Harames in CCS history that has won section championships at TWO public schools.

Burlingame and where else? His 1995 Capuchino team did not win a CCS crown. It was a runner-up and went on the road for NorCals, got on a roll, and wound up barely losing the D4 state title to heavily-favored Verbum Dei in Oakland. Cap's surprising run to the state final was probably the most improbable in Peninsula prep hoops history. Cap wound up with double-digit losses that season and did not win a PAL title.

Last edited:
Burlingame and where else? His 1995 Capuchino team did not win a CCS crown. It was a runner-up and went on the road for NorCals, got on a roll, and wound up barely losing the D4 state title to heavily-favored Verbum Dei in Oakland. Cap's surprising run to the state final was probably the most improbable in Peninsula prep hoops history. Cap wound up with double-digit losses that season and did not win a PAL title.

There isn't anywhere else. The only place he's had success is those 2 schools. He should have won the whole thing at Cap in 94' but got out coached against Half Moon Bay in the CCS final. That year lead him to the success in 95' with a very talented Brian Gomes and Mike Brown. The PAL was VERY talented both of those years and with out good coaching there's no way those teams as talented as they were could win the league. He got a Burlingame team that was very talented which had Frankie Ferrari and his brother I believe. Hard to lose with a D1 guard in that division.

IMO from what I can remember the coach at Aragon in the 90's was a good coach and won a state championship and Daryl Barbur was a good coach at Woodside. I haven't kept up with to many of the coaches since then but Pete although a great guy isn't as good of a coach as many think. Again, just my opinion.

There isn't anywhere else. The only place he's had success is those 2 schools. He should have won the whole thing at Cap in 94' but got out coached against Half Moon Bay in the CCS final. That year lead him to the success in 95' with a very talented Brian Gomes and Mike Brown. The PAL was VERY talented both of those years and with out good coaching there's no way those teams as talented as they were could win the league. He got a Burlingame team that was very talented which had Frankie Ferrari and his brother I believe. Hard to lose with a D1 guard in that division.

IMO from what I can remember the coach at Aragon in the 90's was a good coach and won a state championship and Daryl Barbur was a good coach at Woodside. I haven't kept up with to many of the coaches since then but Pete although a great guy isn't as good of a coach as many think. Again, just my opinion.

Aragon has never won a state title in any sport. In fact, it has never played for a state crown. But, yes, that Jimmie Pryor-led team in the early 1990s was very good.

Aragon has never won a state title in any sport. In fact, it has never played for a state crown. But, yes, that Jimmie Pryor-led team in the early 1990s was very good.
If they didn't win state that year they won CCS for sure and went to the final four at least. To long ago for me to remember or to care enough about to look up

PAL South schedule this week:

2/7:
Aragon @ Mills
Burlingame @ Capuchino
Hillsdale @ San Mateo
Woodside @ Carlmont
Menlo-Atherton @ Sequoia

2/9:
Sequoia @ Carlmont
Menlo-Atherton @ Woodside
Hillsdale @ Aragon
San Mateo @ Burlingame
Mills @ Capuchino

Burlingame led 14-2, but Cap came back and led 25-24. Burlingame played a solid 2nd half and won 58-51.

Aragon took a big early lead against Mills and won 46-40.

Menlo-Atherton defeated Sequoia 57-49. Sequoia led 29-23 at the half.

Terra Nova defeated Westmoor. TN beat South City the night before.

Sequoia and Mills didn't do themselves any favors. As we can expect Menlo, Palo Alto and five WCAL teams to make Open Division, only one PAL team will have a chance to make Open and get the automatic bid to the NorCal championships.

Meanwhile, Aragon's win gives them a two game lead over San Mateo (San Mateo lost to Hillsdale 39-36) for the final PAL South spot in the upcoming PAL Tournament.

Sequoia and Mills didn't do themselves any favors. As we can expect Menlo, Palo Alto and five WCAL teams to make Open Division, only one PAL team will have a chance to make Open and get the automatic bid to the NorCal championships.

Meanwhile, Aragon's win gives them a two game lead over San Mateo (San Mateo lost to Hillsdale 39-36) for the final PAL South spot in the upcoming PAL Tournament.

TL: What do you know about Aragon's recently-added forward, Sam Manu? Where did he come from? He wasn't on the roster during November-December. Not even listed. The Manu family has been part of Aragon forever. But this young man seems to have come from out of the blue and he might be the Dons' best player at a smooth, efficient, dynamic 6-4. He has made a huge difference on that outfit. Any information for us?

I've seen both of Mills games against Aragon and that guy is their best scorer. More of a shooter than a one on one type/slashing type of player, but that is probably a byproduct of Mills zone. His shooting definitely beat Mills last night. I dont recall seeing him last year so he must have been a transfer.

I've seen both of Mills games against Aragon and that guy is their best scorer. More of a shooter than a one on one type/slashing type of player, but that is probably a byproduct of Mills zone. His shooting definitely beat Mills last night. I dont recall seeing him last year so he must have been a transfer.

The fellow showed up in January, a bit of a mystery, seemingly.

Last edited:
I'll check with my source, colhenry. I saw Manu destroy Burlingame a week ago, scoring 26 points while taking only 12 shots.

It's just my not so humble opinion, but I think the key for Aragon is matchups. They aren't very strong defensively inside so Rodney Lawrence of Jefferson, Ethan Menzies of Half Moon Bay and Ziggy Lauese of Sequoia are difficult for them to guard. So, it will be pretty tough for them to win any game.

It's just my not so humble opinion, but I think the key for Aragon is matchups. They aren't very strong defensively inside so Rodney Lawrence of Jefferson, Ethan Menzies of Half Moon Bay and Ziggy Lauese of Sequoia are difficult for them to guard. So, it will be pretty tough for them to win any game.

Thanks much.

BTW, tonight is the final home game for Burlingame coach Pete Harames. Should be a good crowd. With 1,438 seniors playing for Burlingame, the boys game will be a bit delayed.

Okay, it's not 1,438, but it's a lot. Twelve to be exact.

Reactions: colhenrylives
A rare packed house in Burlingame for Senior Night vs San Mateo. Nice ceremony for 10 senior cheer squad and 12 senior basketball players and for retiring coach Pete Harames.

As has been the case all year, Burlingame simply can't make shots. Going to the basket, midrange or 3 pointers; it doesn't matter. They don't fall.

Meanwhile, a superb game for San Mateo's senior guard Vrad Chadha. Chadha scored 23 including 5 threes against a Panther defense that couldn't stop him.

Best crowd I've ever seen at Burlingame for a game other than Serra.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT