ADVERTISEMENT

Scrimmages???

farmair3

Sports Fanatic
Nov 25, 2012
Just curious with 3 weeks to go before week 0 games, scrimmages take place the week before. Also sometimes you get some match ups you just won't get during a season. Any 411 on scrimmages this season. I can tell you Sutter will be at River City in West Sac

SHC and Skyline at Kezar Aug 28 at 4pm. There may be other teams involved but I didn't see others listed.

Last edited:
Heritage and College Park at Foothill, August 21

Jesuit, Logan and De La Salle at Pittsburg, Aug. 21

Antioch hosts one on the 21st as well.

Las Lomas is hosting a Jamboree on Friday, August 21st, 5:30pm. Concord, Bishop O'Dowd and Freedom are scheduled to participate.

Doesn't MC and Newman meet during the regular season??? Last year El Cerrito was at the Foothill scrimmage also. Not this year????

Gotcha!!! Thanks for the clarification. Just another reason why I joined this site. So many people with so much info

Gotcha!!! Thanks for the clarification. Just another reason why I joined this site. So many people with so much info
farmair3, I believe you have good knowledge of St. Mary's Berkeley's football team. The reason I asked is that Riordan plays them in non-league Sept 26th @ Berkeley. Riordan played at St. Mary's two years ago and got steamrolled. I understand the Panthers are going to be very good again this season. Would appreciate some insight as I see this as a very good test for the Crusaders.

Sorry Jordan24. I know nothing about them except for what I read on here. I am a North Section Sutter guy. Sutter now fills their pre season with NCS, SJS, and now CCS teams and that is why I joined this site to get insight from all of you. Again sorry if I mislead you in any way

Sorry Jordan24. I know nothing about them except for what I read on here. I am a North Section Sutter guy. Sutter now fills their pre season with NCS, SJS, and now CCS teams and that is why I joined this site to get insight from all of you. Again sorry if I mislead you in any way
No worries Farmair3. Good luck to Sutter this season. I'll be sure to keep tabs on them this season.

fairmair3 - will you be attending the Palma v Sutter game in Salinas? I will be trying to get to the game from the Bay area if I don't travel that week for work. My nephew plays on the Chieftains. They have a pretty good tri-tip sandwich at the home side concession building.

NorCal, do you know if the game will be streamed on high school cube? Sutter vs Palma looks to be a great matchup.

Grant Union is scrimmaging @Rocklin the Saturday before the season starts. I'll be out there for that one.

NorCal, Yes I will be there. Thanks for the heads up on the tri tip. Sutter does stream home games not sure about a road game that far away though. I would love to see that MC Newman scrimmage.

Grant looked like an ok team....

I wish I would have known you'd be out there today, Herwoo. It would have been cool to meet up. I got there just after the first altercation occurred, but I heard about it and talked to a few of the players after it was all over.

Overall, I thought both teams looked pretty good. Lots of kinks to work out, but they'll both be good teams. I overheard Coach Al saying that this scrimmage was a better challenge for his kids than past scrimmages. Both teams matched up well. The Pacers 1st team d-line made life miserable for Sr. QB William Floyd and Rocklin's starting line. He was constantly flushed out of the pocket and couldn't complete a down field pass. Not having Chase Hatada really hurt, especially against the Pacers size. The starting offense really only had 1 significant play in the 1st 2 series, which was a 55+ yard catch and run by RB Evyn Holtz down to the 1, but even that was called back on a penalty.

Rocklin didn't really move the ball until Jr. QB Evan Michalet was taking snaps. He was able to make plays with his feet and the Pacers had trouble containing him. I'm not sure how many of the Pacers starters were on the field when Michalet led the Thunder's 1st scoring drive, but he looked good nonetheless.

Offensively, the Pacers did what you'd expect. They worked on their physical, smashmouth running attack and methodically moved it down the field for their 1st score. The next series, they went to the pass and connected on a couple of long passes. I'm not really sure who might have been missing from the lineup, but it looked like all of their key o-lineman played as did DeShawn Collins.

I wish I would have known you'd be out there today, Herwoo. It would have been cool to meet up. I got there just after the first altercation occurred, but I heard about it and talked to a few of the players after it was all over.

Overall, I thought both teams looked pretty good. Lots of kinks to work out, but they'll both be good teams. I overheard Coach Al saying that this scrimmage was a better challenge for his kids than past scrimmages. Both teams matched up well. The Pacers 1st team d-line made life miserable for Sr. QB William Floyd and Rocklin's starting line. He was constantly flushed out of the pocket and couldn't complete a down field pass. Not having Chase Hatada really hurt, especially against the Pacers size. The starting offense really only had 1 significant play in the 1st 2 series, which was a 55+ yard catch and run by RB Evyn Holtz down to the 1, but even that was called back on a penalty.

Rocklin didn't really move the ball until Jr. QB Evan Michalet was taking snaps. He was able to make plays with his feet and the Pacers had trouble containing him. I'm not sure how many of the Pacers starters were on the field when Michalet led the Thunder's 1st scoring drive, but he looked good nonetheless.

Offensively, the Pacers did what you'd expect. They worked on their physical, smashmouth running attack and methodically moved it down the field for their 1st score. The next series, they went to the pass and connected on a couple of long passes. I'm not really sure who might have been missing from the lineup, but it looked like all of their key o-lineman played as did DeShawn Collins.
DID ANY BODY see the Pittsburg Jambore, Las Lomas Jamboree and a host of other scrimmages that happened Friday nigh and Sat......I was going to the Las Lomas jamboree, but I got stuck having to work...There should be a flood of reports, so guys fill us in????

Analy's first team looked good vs. Rancho on O and D. This was a little surprising considering how much Analy lost last year. Their middlebacker was all over the field.

Bluedog2, I saw a bit of the Las Lomas v. Concord scrimmage. Concord appears to have a very solid, bruising RB who was running over the LL defenders. I thought Concord looked sharp on offense and good but not great on defense. I did not see Concord v. O'Dowd nor Freedom, two teams superior to LL.

Las Lomas has solid WR's and their new QB has a nice touch. But the OL is thin and was poor in pass protection. Over the course of 4 quarters, I'm afraid the LL OL will wear down.

Bluedog2, I saw a bit of the Las Lomas v. Concord scrimmage. Concord appears to have a very solid, bruising RB who was running over the LL defenders. I thought Concord looked sharp on offense and good but not great on defense. I did not see Concord v. O'Dowd nor Freedom, two teams superior to LL.

Las Lomas has solid WR's and their new QB has a nice touch. But the OL is thin and was poor in pass protection. Over the course of 4 quarters, I'm afraid the LL OL will wear down.
GoBears89.......The four team meet at Las Lomas was my Friday night project before I got aced out and had to take a work break...concord has a interesting game coming up this Friday night against Benicia who has 12 or 14 returning from last season, so this won't be a run away like Concord did to Benicia last season....This information sure give one an idea of what to expect....The combination of Sweeney and Rivers for Freedom could give one an idea how Freedom has developed since they had a 8-2 JV team moving up to booster the varsity and have to face Pittsburg Antioch and Liberty which should be a tough task and I was going to pay attention to Freedom....I was thinking that Las Lomas could be a problem for the DFAL, but maybe not and Bishop O'Dowd when it comes league time has their hands full, so these four teams could plus all the rest of the teams that were involved in scrimmages tell us a story of the preseason.....Thanks Go Bears89....

Went to the Pitt scrimmage. De La Salle looks unbelievable on offense, and unbelievable on the defensive line. Their defensive backs and linebackers looked solid but not overwhelming. Boss and Asiaisi are freaks of nature and they have another new young stud defensive tackle. I never got his name though. Sweeney looked ok but had some rust. Custer and Hernadez run behind a great offensive line so of course they shined.

Pittsburg's offense looks like it is going to be very tough to handle this year. They struggled pass blocking De La Salle up front but handled Jesuit and Logan. The two QB's look very servicable and probably the best they have had in recent years. Their defense definitey looked raw, but Parker and Ramirez stood out as usual. I can see teams avoiding those two at all costs.

That was the first time I saw Jesuit in person and was unimpressed. They weren't any better coached then Logan. Both Logan and Jesuit had a lot of mistakes in terms of offsides and turnovers. Overall I just don't see any one beating DLS with that offensive and efensive line. That has always been the difference with them, but this year has to be one of the best ever. Too bad Boss and Asiasi didn't play at Pitt which is where they live. Rolls would certainly be reversed. They are just superb!

That was the first time I saw Jesuit in person and was unimpressed. They weren't any better coached then Logan.

I didn't see the scrimmage, but your comments don't surprise me. This is year 4 for Blanton and Jesuit hasn't really stood out much since he took over the program (23-12 overall). They've been fairly good, but nothing close to what some felt they might be. They are certainly better than in the last few years of Carmazzi's tenure, but still underwhelming considering all the fanfare.

Sutter went to West Sac for their annual meeting with River City High School on Saturday. Sutter is young this season after losing 8 on offense to graduation and just about as many on defense. The varsity classes were a combined 19-1 as JVs however. They looked good and kept River City out of the end zone until the last drive.

My friend was at the scrimmage, and said the scrimmage was sort of short. Both teams had some playmakers, but seemed like they were limiting touches to their top players trying to get out healthy. QB's did not run the ball. Both teams looked like they can contend for section/state in D3 or D4. Not sure how all the post season set up works now.

St. Mary's hosted Granite Bay. Wasn't there. But, here is some video footage, courtesy Richard Estrada (Blackhat Football):

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT