ADVERTISEMENT

SHC makes Sweet 16 semis

Streak One

Hall of Famer
Staff
Nov 11, 2003
At the La Jolla Country Day Sweet 16, Sacred Heart Cathedral is onto the semis with wins over Helix (69-24) and Mater Dei-Chula Vista (75-50). Thomas had 30 points and 22 rebounds against Helix.

They play Lakewood-Colorado, which beat host LJCD, in the semi-finals.

Pinewood fell to Highlands Ranch 50-49 last night in the quarterfinals.

The two Emsbo girls...are the really 6' 4" last week they were 6' 3" in Maxpreps
maybe next week 6' 5".... are they twins?...they look like they could be pushed around down low...

Sacred Heart Cathedral advanced to the finals with a 59-28 win over Lakewood. They will face Mission Hills in the finals

In a NorCal matchup, Pinewood beat Modesto Christian 52-29.

This year's SH team I hope wins a state title, however they will likely be placed in Open instead of their normal D3. As dominant as Thomas has been/can be, she will face a ton of double teams in the playoffs and other teams will force someone else other than Thomas to beat them. This team is not like the Tierra Rogers title team where Rogers had a 1B superstar in Moore and inside (Williams) and outside (Boggs) scorers to complement her.

We'll see how they stack up against SMS. Will definitely prove to be the measuring stick for the rest of the year.

This year's SH team I hope wins a state title, however they will likely be placed in Open instead of their normal D3. As dominant as Thomas has been/can be, she will face a ton of double teams in the playoffs and other teams will force someone else other than Thomas to beat them. This team is not like the Tierra Rogers title team where Rogers had a 1B superstar in Moore and inside (Williams) and outside (Boggs) scorers to complement her.

We'll see how they stack up against SMS. Will definitely prove to be the measuring stick for the rest of the year.

Teams can double team at their own risks. Every player on this team can shoot and score. With a year of experience and a state championship under them they have a chance to win it not only this year but next year also. Not to mention the 2 transfers haven't suited up yet. One guard one post player. Thomas is the best player in Nor Cal and maybe the state so with a solid supporting cast they can compete with anybody. The field is wide open at this point and by the looks of what happened to SMS last year at this point we know anything is possible. Still to early in the season but so far I don't see why they shouldn't be in the mix. Not enough credit is ever given to this program o_O

I think we heard this same message last year when SHC won their first three games in a row and dropped their next three in a row.

Let's see how they perform against SMS and then we'll have a good indication.

Reactions: OnBall8
Haters will hate and that's the beauty of it. Your right there is plenty of competition. The kid is first team all state for sure so now its a matter on wins and losses that determines the rest. Who else have you seen with your own eyes that you think is better and why? I've seen everyone so my analysis isn't message board based.

Sorry SMS isn't the measure anymore and it's early in the season. We seen SMS have a great year and lose at the end so how is that your measuring stick?

what does last year have anything to do with this years measuring stick??

SHC didnt lose at the end but does a D3 state title make SHC a measuring stick?? I think not. Miramonte won the norcal open.. does that make them this years measuring stick? I think not.

They arent saying SMS is the top of the entire field, but it will give everyone an indication of where both teams are this early in the year.

and I doubt you have seen "everyone" like you claim... but I have definitely seen more than enough to state that Thomas is very good, but there a handful of kids that I (along with most college coaches) would take ahead of her just based on overall motor on both sides of the ball..

what does last year have anything to do with this years measuring stick??

SHC didnt lose at the end but does a D3 state title make SHC a measuring stick?? I think not. Miramonte won the norcal open.. does that make them this years measuring stick? I think not.

They arent saying SMS is the top of the entire field, but it will give everyone an indication of where both teams are this early in the year.

Last year doesn't have anything to do with anything other than SMS is not the measuring stick period. If you want to measure a team let's look at the entire schedule not just one game against SMS. You don't know what I've seen so we will leave that there. Again, what players are you taking ahead of her that you've seen? We can talk Nor-cal and state. Put your list together...

Let's look at it this way. Do you think SHC will win the WCAL? That's obviously looking at more than one game.

The kid is an elite player. One thing people don't understand is she's only scratching the surface of her talent. I know lots of people say that but this is truly the case. She will be a 16yo freshman in college and the way she dominates now, I can't wait to see her play when she's 20.

Reactions: kkross22
Will she guard Decosta Saturday at 4PM ...and will Tom let Decosta guard her????
Clay seems to think Decosta is the best player in Norcal ...and the State

Let's look at it this way. Do you think SHC will win the WCAL? That's obviously looking at more than one game.

They got a chance they have the returning co MVP. Wcal isn't the goal either. I thought the goal was a state chip. The year SI was ranked in the nation SH lost to them in league and beat them in ccs open. But again I'm asking if she's not one of the top players in nor cal and state then who are we looking at being the player of the region and state?

Will she guard Decosta Saturday at 4PM ...and will Tom let Decosta guard her????
Clay seems to think Decosta is the best player in Norcal ...and the State

The style of play won't have one guarding the orher. It's helter skelter up and down. If Ilmari can break the press SH wins. They figuered that out 2 years ago in the second half and only lost by 4. Fear factor isnt there for this group or coach

The kid is an elite player. One thing people don't understand is she's only scratching the surface of her talent. I know lots of people say that but this is truly the case. She will be a 16yo freshman in college and the way she dominates now, I can't wait to see her play when she's 20.

I don't like to bring up her age we all know she's young and still has a ways to go but right now at 16 she kickin but and takin names

Last edited:
Aquira DeCosta, Kianna Smith, Destiny Littleton, jasmine Jones, Alaysia Styles, Myah Pace, Danae Miller, Julia Blackshel-Fair.

I think one Haley Jones, 6'2 wing might have a say in who is the best player in California, Nor Cal and the WCAL. Best player on the #2 team in the nation and will likely get a chance to go head to head with Thomas three times. I am not sure who is better as I have not seen enough to determine that.

Aquira DeCosta, Kianna Smith, Destiny Littleton, jasmine Jones, Alaysia Styles, Myah Pace, Danae Miller, Julia Blackshel-Fair.

All good choices but I don't think they do as much scoring and rebounding for their teams as Ilmairi does. Then she's also asked to run pg at times also. Haley Jones is another good one. Just watched Alaysia Styles play in the LJCD tournament and she wasn't as dominate as Thomas. Let's not forget she's doing this in probably the toughest league in the state, the WCAL. Her numbers aren't inflated

If you want to measure a team let's look at the entire schedule not just one game against SMS

For one, that is the most obvious answer to a question ever... the point is, its DECEMBER! We cant look at the entire schedule, therefore, we can only look at what has happened to date. And as of saturday, that will be the biggest test for them. Does that spell it out slow enough??

Sjbasket has a great list to start from, as well as Haley Jones.

I wasn't trying to knock Ilmari at all. I think she is a great player. IMPO I just dont think she is the absolute top of the list, but she is on the short list for sure.

Lastly, you dont think winning the WCAL is a goal for the SHC team?? You stated winning a "state chip" is.. I doubt that a D3 title is on their list of goals above winning the WCAL. LaRyan seems like a competitive enough guy to know that winning the WCAL and making the dance (Open) is better than a D3 title.

One of the hardest parts about saying who is "best" is that being a dominant high school player doesn't always transfer to being a dominant college player. I think I'Imari Thomas falls into that category – she's pretty much unguardable at the high school level, but there's a reason she's going to Cincinnati (not that there's anything wrong with that). DeCosta is a USA Basketball veteran, with gold medals, and will go pretty much wherever she wants because her package of athleticism and size seems like it will translate not only to the college level but to the professional level beyond that. I'm not sure that Thomas can make the same case.

All that said, I'm not sure who I would rather face in a high school game. Thomas is a beast -- she's too tough and strong for a quick player, and too skilled for a bigger slower player. DeCosta is a little more dependent on someone else getting her the ball, and she's not really as good a shooter.

So do you want steak or ice cream? Personally, I'd like to have both.

One of the hardest parts about saying who is "best" is that being a dominant high school player doesn't always transfer to being a dominant college player. I think I'Imari Thomas falls into that category – she's pretty much unguardable at the high school level, but there's a reason she's going to Cincinnati (not that there's anything wrong with that). DeCosta is a USA Basketball veteran, with gold medals, and will go pretty much wherever she wants because her package of athleticism and size seems like it will translate not only to the college level but to the professional level beyond that. I'm not sure that Thomas can make the same case.

All that said, I'm not sure who I would rather face in a high school game. Thomas is a beast -- she's too tough and strong for a quick player, and too skilled for a bigger slower player. DeCosta is a little more dependent on someone else getting her the ball, and she's not really as good a shooter.

This post is a complete joke. This kid had 15-20 offers and chose Cincinnati because it has what she's looking for on and off the court. IImar'I has a skill set unlike most players at any level. Why wouldn't her game translate to the college level? She can play 1-5 and creates major mismatches. She's dominating against players that are going to these so-called bigger schools so why would she not play well at the next level? I know that she can care less of what people think of her but it's really funny to hear that you know so much about her game that you can tell people how it will translate to the next level. If you're dominating the top teams in the so-called rankings, I think you'll fair pretty well at the next level.

Reactions: CityBoy415
I'Imari is basically Tierra Rogers. Shes unstoppable. If you dont double her, your doomed. Its fun watching her just take over a game. I still give Rogers the nod because her moves were so fluid/quick like James Worthy. Thomas' is more methodical/deliberate. Both put it in the basket so whatever means is fine with me.

Reactions: Dukesf23
Maybe I'm way off base here, but Thomas doesn't seem to have the quickness or athleticism that Tierra Rogers had. Rogers could definitely play all over the court, and I'm not convinced that Thomas could, say, guard Aarion McDonald. She's a great player, and will have a wonderful college career, but I don't know that she's a first-team All-American at the college level, and the fact that she was cut relatively early at USA Basketball says something, though clearly it's not definitive.

Again, she's a great high school player, and will be very good at the college level. I just don't know that she could step in it UConn or Notre Dame, or if she'll be able to have the impact that DeCosta might – but you never know. I've certainly been wrong before.

iF WE
For one, that is the most obvious answer to a question ever... the point is, its DECEMBER! We cant look at the entire schedule, therefore, we can only look at what has happened to date. And as of saturday, that will be the biggest test for them. Does that spell it out slow enough??

Sjbasket has a great list to start from, as well as Haley Jones.

I wasn't trying to knock Ilmari at all. I think she is a great player. IMPO I just dont think she is the absolute top of the list, but she is on the short list for sure.

Lastly, you dont think winning the WCAL is a goal for the SHC team?? You stated winning a "state chip" is.. I doubt that a D3 title is on their list of goals above winning the WCAL. LaRyan seems like a competitive enough guy to know that winning the WCAL and making the dance (Open) is better than a D3 title.

First of all were talking about the best PLAYER in Nor Cal not the best team (does that spell it out slow enough for you). Secondly if were talking about games to date after 4 games shes averaging around 25 and 15. She was all state second team last year with all those kids listed so how is she NOT in the conversation or considered at the top of the list? The majority of the first team all state players have graduated so common sense tells you the second team becomes the first team. Winning is any teams goal. Tournaments, WCAL, CCS, Nor-Cal, State. In that order. However, league championships are not a priority at power house schools. State championships are the end results. if your telling me that you think winning a WCAL championship and PLAYING in the OPEN tops winning a state championship at any level then that's the end of this conversation. They don't give out rings for winning league and playing in the OPEN. Rings are given for winning state championships.

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/DZYoTT...alifornia-girls-basketball-all-stateteam-.htm

Last edited:

Unfortunately we are talking about high school and not college so who would dominate in college is irrelevant. Although I don't think Aquira will dominate in college either. She does not have the offensive skill set (YET) to dominate on a level when every team has athletes that can run and jump. At the college level she will be a wing player and I haven't seen that skill set out of her as of yet. I've seen Ilmari go from playing the post to playing point forward and moving out to the perimeter. This post is the exact reason along with others of why she hasn't got the proper looks at the next level. MOst look at her body type and thinks she's not athletic. Until you watch her play and she drops 25 and 12 on efficient shooting. This lets me know that she will be about to have a successful college career. I also think a lot of the difference in offers from her and other kids is determined through AAU ball and the programs. Not taking anything away from Aquira at all because she is a GREAT player but she has played in systems that have allowed her to showcase her skills. Idk if that has been the case for Ilmari on the AAU level. She seems to show more of her game playing at SHCP. ALL MAKES FOR A GREAT MATCH UP SATURDAY!

Maybe I'm way off base here, but Thomas doesn't seem to have the quickness or athleticism that Tierra Rogers had. Rogers could definitely play all over the court, and I'm not convinced that Thomas could, say, guard Aarion McDonald. She's a great player, and will have a wonderful college career, but I don't know that she's a first-team All-American at the college level, and the fact that she was cut relatively early at USA Basketball says something, though clearly it's not definitive.

Again, she's a great high school player, and will be very good at the college level. I just don't know that she could step in it UConn or Notre Dame, or if she'll be able to have the impact that DeCosta might – but you never know. I've certainly been wrong before.
She made it through the first few rounds of USA. She went just as far as some of these high caliber players that are going to so-called big time programs. If you've been to the USA trials and know many of the people who have scouted the trials you will know how political it is. Maybe that's why they haven't won gold for this particular age group in a while.

I
She made it through the first few rounds of USA. She went just as far as some of these high caliber players that are going to so-called big time programs. If you've been to the USA trials and know many of the people who have scouted the trials you will know how political it is. Maybe that's why they haven't won gold for this particular age group in a while.

Despite her critics at 16 years old she's a dominate force! I've seen a lot of kids in the last 20 years and if she continues to develop this kid will be a pro and will make a lot of money overseas. A lot of schools and critics are big on athleticism and body type but overlook IQ and just flat out getting it done. If she played in some of these weaker conferences she would put up 35 and 20 every game.

I

Despite her critics at 16 years old she's a dominate force! I've seen a lot of kids in the last 20 years and if she continues to develop this kid will be a pro and will make a lot of money overseas. A lot of schools and critics are big on athleticism and body type but overlook IQ and just flat out getting it done. If she played in some of these weaker conferences she would put up 35 and 20 every game.

Sky is the limit for Aquira ! She has everything she needs already. Especially if you have watch her progression over the past 5 or 6 years. Her attitude, confidence, instincts, and decision making are all on par with the best in high school at this point. Anything she lacks based on how far and how quickly she has progressed she will be able to add it to her game in a short time. I have never coached her. But have been around her on a few occasions and have watched her play a good amount of times. She appears to be very coachable. What coach wouldn't want to have her on their team?

Sky is the limit for Aquira ! She has everything she needs already. Especially if you have watch her progression over the past 5 or 6 years. Her attitude, confidence, instincts, and decision making are all on par with the best in high school at this point. Anything she lacks based on how far and how quickly she has progressed she will be able to add it to her game in a short time. I have never coached her. But have been around her on a few occasions and have watched her play a good amount of times. She appears to be very coachable. What coach wouldn't want to have her on their team?

Sky's the limit for any of the players on that list! I think ClayK stated that she would be able to step in at a major college and contribute right away as a freshman. I personally think that depends on where she goes, the system and where she plays. If she has to play the wing in college she's 2 years away from being a major contributor. Ball handling and jump shots don't just magically appear. If she plays the post which I doubt she will be fine. The system shall determine this.

Reactions: Paytc
Honestly, I think a lot of people, high school coaches, AAU coaches, evaluators, college coaches don't give IImar'I the credit she is due because she does not look what they expect an athlete to look like. Believe me, I have heard people say it to me, not knowing I know her personally. Instead of saying this, and being honest about it, they would rather dummy down their evaluations or write ups about her, or put players above her who are not as talented or ATHLETIC, but maybe just look more of the part.
I have watched the kid play since she was in 5th grade. She dominated then, and still dominates today. She gets up and down the floor, plays majority of the minutes on EVERY team she has played for, she can shoot, handle the ball, crash the boards, block shots, etc. If needed, she can play 1-5, not too many players you can say that about. You name it, and she can pretty much do it. The kid is a BEAST!
Her skill level will definitely translate to the next level! And not just on the court because IImar'I is one heck of a student as well.

Reactions: Paytc and Dukesf23
Honestly, I think a lot of people, high school coaches, AAU coaches, evaluators, college coaches don't give IImar'I the credit she is due because she does not look what they expect an athlete to look like. Believe me, I have heard people say it to me, not knowing I know her personally. Instead of saying this, and being honest about it, they would rather dummy down their evaluations or write ups about her, or put players above her who are not as talented or ATHLETIC, but maybe just look more of the part.
I have watched the kid play since she was in 5th grade. She dominated then, and still dominates today. She gets up and down the floor, plays majority of the minutes on EVERY team she has played for, she can shoot, handle the ball, crash the boards, block shots, etc. If needed, she can play 1-5, not too many players you can say that about. You name it, and she can pretty much do it. The kid is a BEAST!
Her skill level will definitely translate to the next level! And not just on the court because IImar'I is one heck of a student as well.

It's sad that that's the case because a lot of people are passing up on a GREAT player. Her numbers are as good as anyone else if not better and she's a proven winner. She doesn't slack on the defensive end either. I'm looking forward to seeing her play on the next level. Cincinnati got a steal!

Sky's the limit for any of the players on that list! I think ClayK stated that she would be able to step in at a major college and contribute right away as a freshman. I personally think that depends on where she goes, the system and where she plays. If she has to play the wing in college she's 2 years away from being a major contributor. Ball handling and jump shots don't just magically appear. If she plays the post which I doubt she will be fine. The system shall determine this.

I can agree with you. But I'm the "can do" creator. So I constantly live to encourage and point out what folks "can do " and not promote things they so call "can't do".

When you have the skill level she has your destined to fall into the right place. I think she will contribute immediately as a freshman. I can't see a coach (uconn included) keeping her on the bench. She should make certain to go to a program known for allowing freshman to start or at least get on the floor immediately. Because there are scary coaches out there who think age determines maturity and ability and won't risk playing young players. Not many would have put 5 freshman on the floor in a starting line up like Michigan's fab 5.

If the discussion is solely about high school, then Thomas is clearly one of the top players in Northern California, if not the country. She is pretty much unstoppable, and she's good enough on defense.

And though USA Basketball is political insofar as every human group is political, players emerge there every year who don't have hype or backing, and players are cut there every year who have lots of hype and backing. That said, there's a lot of talent there and it's easy to slip through the cracks no matter how good you are. But I was there, and she did not stand out in that crowd ...

Just to make it clear: To win a high school game tonight, I'll take Thomas. To win a college game in four years, I'd lean to DeCosta. And the odds would favor DeCosta playing in the WNBA over Thomas, though that's way down the road and is unlikely for both.

Clay,
9 days ago you didn't name her in your list of the top 15 players in the nation....
You do know we have the internet

Did I imply that Thomas was top 15? "One of the top players in the country" does not equate to top 15 necessarily. It's a big country ...

Clay,
9 days ago you didn't name her in your list of the top 15 players in the nation....
You do know we have the internet

One point that Clay made that I agree with is that he (as i have and everyone else) has been and can be wrong. I think it's better to encourage than discourage young athletes. And I think comparing even pros comes down to just a matter of individual opinion, and popular opinions, which can both be wrong. I think Thomas, Jones,and Decosta are awesome young players and wish them all nothing but the best. I hope they all reach their individual max potential as the individuals they were blessed to be without comparison. I know it's good to compare players in chat rooms and in the media for veiwership and advertisement dollars. But try to remember theses children are someones child, grandchild, sibling, etc.... And everyone connected to them want the best for them. The families as well as the children most likely don't even want the comparison because they all know Decosta can't be Thomas at her best. And Thomas can't be Decosta at her best.May they each keep reaching for their best. That goes for every other young local and national player.You are not competing against anyone outside of yourself. So keep focused on improving yourself.

May they all remain healthy and keep focusing on being the best player and person they are capable of being. And ignore the doubters, critics, and haters. Keep your focus on your own goal line not any other person or outside distraction. There are no guarantees so no matter the talent level or size you must keep working to improve.

Tom Brady was drafted in the 6th round. Jamarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf I believe were 1st or second players taken in the 1st round. And Sam Bowie, Kwame Brown, Greg Oden, Shawn Bradley were 1st round picks that never lived up to their potential and the hype. Kobe Bryant (though he was only 17 and not old enough to sign on his own) was picked 13th. Manu Ginobili Monta Ellis,Paul George, and many others did better than the experts who passed over them when draft picks and player evaluations were made.

There are no guarantees. May each young player find success and happiness each step of the way in their personal and basketball lives.

Last edited:
Let's not get to serious lol. All I'm saying is that Thomas has a chance to be the player of the year in the state. Obviously she will be first team all state as she was second last year. No knock on any other players as any player on the all state team can obviously play. In general I don't think she gets the looks she deserves to get from the media or the casual fan. Maybe if she played at a nationally recognized program such as SMS, LJCD, or Mater Dei she would. It is what it is at this point. I'm looking forward to watching her continue to improve and show why she is more than what she gets credit for. It might be a good thing and what will continue to motivate her!

Reactions: Paytc and kkross22
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT