ADVERTISEMENT

State Championship Game Thread: D1, D3, D5

Terrible call. Won’t go as far that it cost Logan

Logan trails by 3 with 23 seconds left

Didn't cost them the game and refs didn't cost them game but that was an embarrassingly bad call in that momemt

Reactions: youseechief
Then they miss a basket inference call.

Logan makes a great comeback but falls 69-63

Lots of woulda shoulda coulda’s on both sides. Great game though.

Okay actually I don’t feel sad right now for some reason but a hypothetical question for whoever has seen both teams:

Logan 2017 and Logan 2019 (both the state finalists) meet at Golden 1 and play one game.

Who you guys taking?

Chino Hills tried to milk the game for the last nine minutes. Almost bit them.

Logan couldn’t get their usual buckets inside but credit them for being relentless. This was just a tough matchup for them and they made it very interesting late

Okay actually I don’t feel sad right now for some reason but a hypothetical question for whoever has seen both teams:

Logan 2017 and Logan 2019 (both the state finalists) meet at Golden 1 and play one game.

Who you guys taking?

CIF refs are trash.

The 3rd foul on Big O was an AWFUL call. He made no contact with the logan player and his teammate clearly fouled the logan player. 2 other fouls on him were questionable at best.

The double technical in second half. AWFUL. Thompson did nothing to warrant a tech. Literally nothing. I dont think the chino hills player deserved a tech.

The offensive foul on a league kick was trash too. That should have been a non call.

If Chino Hills had lost that contest, the second-guessing would have been intense. Why, in the name of the late Rev. John Wooden, would the CH mentor leave his dominant center in the game in the third period with four fouls _ and a substantial lead to boot? Can you say, "Malpractice?" The coach got away with it in the end. He dodged a big bullet. A mighty big bullet.

details? please.

Maybe I should have said “talked-about” rather than “controversial”

I mean that there were lots of unusual events that may have made a difference in how things turned out... such as apparent bookkeeping errors at the scorer’s table... an incorrect roster number (thise errors should be ironed out by December 1, not the title game), some rather shaky calls... a completely missed basket interference call being the most obvious... the decision by Chino to leave Okongwu in with four fouls early in the 4th... lotsa stuff like that, wayyyyyy more than usual.

This kid Big O....am I right that this is his 3rd State Title in 4 years? If so that has to be some sort of record.

Also leaving him in was so foolish. You could tell the minute he fouled out that Logan had all this hope even though they were still down 13 at the time.

It just sucks that a great game like this had to be partially decided by the refs as opposed to the kids on the court.

Reactions: DonniePeckerwood
There was no basket interference. Kick-out call was correct. Yes, calls were missed, but not those two.

I'll give you the basket interference because the kid made contact with the net not the rim.

The Kick-Out Call was a BS call, that had they had replay would have 100% been overturned.

Chino hills coach leaving Big O in the game was a horrible decision. Especially how the refs were calling the game.

Agreed. I read a lot of stuff on hear about Logan coach over the past year and one of the worse decisions I've seen is leaving a 6"10 kid in with 4 fouls in the 3rd. Its not like he can hide out there.

Talk about 2 different teams. With the Big O that team can knock off some open caliber teams. Without him I thought Logan was the better team. But if he stays in and doesn't have foul trouble Chino wins that game by 15-20 pt. He's is that good. That kid is an animal. Hats off to Logan for how hard they play and there heart.

I'll give you the basket interference because the kid made contact with the net not the rim.

The Kick-Out Call was a BS call, that had they had replay would have 100% been overturned.
Rule 4, section 6 -- Basket interference occurs when a player:
Article 1 -- Touches the ball or any part of the basket (including the net) while the ball is on or within either basket.
it is still interference if touched the net....
replay??? you said the refs already suck and now you want them to go to replay???? that just means they can guess because they can replay it! also how do you replay someones opinion? if he saw a foul he saw a foul.

Agreed. I read a lot of stuff on hear about Logan coach over the past year and one of the worse decisions I've seen is leaving a 6"10 kid in with 4 fouls in the 3rd. Its not like he can hide out there.

Talk about 2 different teams. With the Big O that team can knock off some open caliber teams. Without him I thought Logan was the better team. But if he stays in and doesn't have foul trouble Chino wins that game by 15-20 pt. He's is that good. That kid is an animal. Hats off to Logan for how hard they play and there heart.

The only defense is if the coach was worried Logan would go on a run with him out and then it would be hard to regain momentum. I disagree with leaving him in but that was the thought I had for his decision.

Turned into an interesting, exciting game. Have been looking for a box score online to see if I'm right about what I thought was the difference in the game. Can't find one. Anyone know the team free throw numbers?

Logan plays super aggressive and did some really bad fouling in the first half. Chino was in the bonus early on and was making a living at the foul line. But lets just be honest with each other. Chino Hills with the Big O is a much better team than Logan. (15-20 pts) Logan played a damn near perfect first period and was tied after 1 and the big kid started horribly. Chino was pulling away in the 3rd when he picked up #4 and then 5. If he plays the entire game he ends up with 38 and 22 and it would have been 80-60. I have rarely seen a kid change the game as much as he did.

Thanks. Makes? Guessing 25-37 CH / 7-12 JL. Big O terrific free throw shooter. A lot of bigs in HS don't shoot the freebies as well as him. He was what, 15 of 18 or so. Specifically, I thought his made free throws were the difference in the game. He only makes 50% from the line, JL wins.

The so-called basket interference call was CORRECT. The shot was well short and the touching of the net in no way affected the shot.

Reactions: ayalar09
The kick out of the leg was a tough call. Officials know that Logan does that frequently and they were looking for it. That said, in this particular case it was minimal.

Reactions: ayalar09
Agree with TurtleLove

That foul on a 3 pointer though was a huge turning point in the game. I would venture to say 95% of refs call that one a foul and 3 free throws, but Chino Hills got that 5% ref that was waiting all game to call something like that.

Tough break. I think they call a foul there it goes to OT or Logan wins with the momentum they had.

if that is the case it should be interference. the trail and the center should have eyes on that
The right thing to do on a controversial calls like those are to confer with each other and to get the others opinion, but the NorCal refs are so on themselves that it seems its beneath them to ask for help on a call, when in fact, it’s the most professional thing to do. I did noticed that the refs rarely confered with each other during those controversial calls and that should have been the first thing they do to get it right, especially if you are apart of a ref trio and you know there was a controversial call. I do know Refs make mistakes and they are human, but they to have a responsibility to the game to try and get it right. I guess toooo much pride?

Reactions: LoganHomer
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT