ADVERTISEMENT

State Championship Saturday

Agree on Chino's defense on Udenyi... Maybe they'll adjust at halftime. Or maybe they thought they could get a mess of steals off him...

I'm sitting right behind Ratinho's mom... She is bringin' the NOISE! Glad I'm not right in front of her.... I wouldn't be able to hear for a month! Nice lady, tho...

Chino doesn't care about a scout Larry. They don't run plays and they don't have assignments on defense.

Salesian denied Udenyi and hurt the timing of De La Salles offense.

This game is shaping up the way I thought. Chino should start to pull away if they stay away from foul trouble. Still think it's 10-15 point win for Chino

First time I have seen Chino and they have a really talented team and I am sure their style serves them well but It's hard to tell what they are trying to accomplish with that press. The two guys up front just run around and DLS passes over and around it and then two chino guys get tired and kind of get back in the play. The rotations are late and lazy and DLS seems unfazed.
I agree with the legend bad scouting on Udenyi.

30-28 DLS. Am I surprised. No. But there is a lot of hoops left and chino can still blow this thing open.

Chino Hills starts on a 13-2 run to take a 41-32 lead on DLS with 504 left in Q3. Second double digit run for Chino Hills

Chino Hills leads 47-35 heading into the fourth quarter. Pace certainly picked up that quarter

I'm wondered about peters... My only conclusion is he doesn't a position? He doesn't shoot it well enough either. Can he play? Hell yes! I still think a low d1 player.

DLS has to attack. Down 12 now. Doesn't look good. DLS only had 5 in 3rd.

Part of this is a deep, dark secret that's lost in all the reports of Chino's 3-shooting and all the running and scoring... Chino plays very well on the defensive end. Even in halfcourt.

Well looks like DLS played a great half and that is about all she wrote.... The 6"9 fresh was a difference maker. DLS couldn't finish

I have counted about 30 times when DLS has a wide open shot at the free throw line or inside and they pass it or try to layup and get swatted......take the easy shot inside the free throw line

Reactions: remc and jordan24
Part of this is a deep, dark secret that's lost in all the reports of Chino's 3-shooting and all the running and scoring... Chino plays very well on the defensive end. Even in halfcourt.

Length and versatility is what keys this. Though they didn't have the same buy in in the first half. 2nd half, DLS has 9 points in 12 minutes

The balls are something else but the 6"9 freshman and the 6"2 wing (#0) deserve a lot of credit. DLS needed a perfect 2nd half and some foul trouble by the balls and that hasn't happened.

Heard score of DLS leading at 1/2 time 30-28 on way home & couldn't wait to watch 2nd 1/2. Ummm, 3rd quarter was a disaster for Spartans and totally dominated. Going into the 4th and down big time and DLS still milking the clock & ignoring open 8-10 footers trying to get 2-footers under the basket [I think I've seen 3 DLS shots stuffed underneath in the last couple minutes - ugly]. Hard to figure why coach doesn;t tell them to take the open mid-range shots as nobody on DLS has come close on forced 3's [?].

BTW - just saw final score as I'm watching delayed - either way no surprise...

Chino played an unbelievable second half. They showed what all the hype was about. congratulations to them and everything they achieved. Fantastic team.
Congratulations to DLS they had a great season and have a lot to be proud of.

One of the Comcast talking heads said that CH never scored less than 39 by half time in any of this season's playoff games . Let's see how half time adjustments go.
They must not ve done there homework . Chino led bishop montgomery last week in South Open Championship 28-17

Reactions: Crusaders70
Chino played an unbelievable second half. They showed what all the hype was about. congratulations to them and everything they achieved. Fantastic team.
Congratulations to DLS they had a great season and have a lot to be proud of.

One of the beauties of Chino Hills is that the Ball Bros have committed to one school, not transferring around to the program/Coach/flavor of the year which is so common place now. Hats off to the Ball brothers' parents.

They must not ve done there homework . Chino led bishop montgomery last week in South Open Championship 28-17

Wouldn't surprise me (re; homework). Am appreciative that ComCast televises HS championships but over the years the announcing/announcers sometimes seems to be an afterthought.

Chino flexed muscles early in the 3rd and DLS never recovered. Fabulous season by Spartans. How many times was Chino down at half this year? I'm guessing only a few??

DLS coach lost that game. Why would you not keep attacking? 2nd half they passed up open lanes and would not drive. Wasted time pulling ball out, but when you break their press you need to attack the basket. 4 of Chino's starting 5 had 2 or 3 fouls each at half. What DLS did in first half they sure did not do it the 2nd half.
Got out coached flat out!
Why stop attacking them?
You had them on way to getting into foul trouble?
Great first half by DLS and the worst 2nd half.

#44 can def play at the next level. Little undersized but physically strong and fast. Palma has run into a buzz saw. This HWL team would be a top 5 NorCal team. They are really well coached too
LLegend: Top 5 team in NorCal? I hope you meant Top 5 in Division 4.

BTW, I hear a lot of chatter as Chino being one of the greatest HS teams of all time. No way. I've watched a handful of teams over the last 20+ years at the finals from the state of CA alone that were better. I will take the Dominguez teams with Tayshaun Prince and Tyson Chandler, Artesia with James Harden, Renardo Sidney, Derek Glasser. Hell you could argue just a few years ago Mater Dei was as good with Stanley Johnson when they beat ODOWD. I'm pretty sure they went 35-0.

It was fun watching Chino and they had a style we haven't seen but DLS got really cold feet in the 3rd and that was the difference. Too bad because the 1st half game plan was perfect. I like Lonzo because he's extremely unselfish. He won't be a great scorer at the next level but he can dominant games with his playmaking. The younger one is going to be special and the middle ball is just so strong and big at the HS level he overpowers kids.

DLS went on the defensive in 2nd half that is what killed them. Then they made a few turnovers and Chino was out running. 1st half they beat there defense by attacking the basket once they got through first couple of defenders. They got it in middle and attacked! 2nd half they got in their a few times but then would pull ball back out. Teams that press you you need to attack there press, once you play defensive they get the advantage. They had Chino on their heals in first half, because they went at them with a great game plan. 2nd half they went to stall and keep the ball and not attack. That was what did them in. If they were to play again I do not think they would do the same thing? Do not know why they changed strategy in 2nd half? What they did in 1st was working! At least keeping them in game. I predict that Chino will be in Final again next year? They only loosing Lonzo.

I think you are right. (regarding them returning). They have 4 starters back and arguably all of them are mid to high level prospects. The 6"9 kid will be writing his own ticket soon and the 6"4 wing Scott was probably the biggest surprise to me in that game last night. He's definitely a D1 player at least at the WCC level and we know about the Ball brothers. Pretty scary nucleus. It will be interesting to see if the younger ball takes the reigns like his brother and becomes more of an unselfish playmaker. If he does that this team will be right back where they left off.

Lonzo made that system work. Sierra Canyon adds #1 2018 player & only lose 1 starter. Who's favs from North?

Streak One, post: 118311, member: 268"]How is Peters still available? Guy looks the part and makes plays on both ends.

I've finally given up on trying to understand why Peters is still available!! He is by far better than a lot of the so called best in the class of 2016.

Lonzo made that system work. Sierra Canyon adds #1 2018 player & only lose 1 starter. Who's favs from North?

What difference does it make with those two teams (Sierra Canyon + Chino Hills) returning to the Open :)

I don't know if either team will be ready next year but I would watch out for Salesian and Bishop O'Dowd in years to come. I don't closely follow SJS teams so I may be overlooking teams from that section. I don't see any WCAL teams being close to elite next year.

Agree on Salesian and Odowd, but Sierra and Chino on different level. I think Monte Vista will be someone to watch out for also? Only loosing LaShells.

Streak One, post: 118311, member: 268"]How is Peters still available? Guy looks the part and makes plays on both ends.

I've finally given up on trying to understand why Peters is still available!! He is by far better than a lot of the so called best in the class of 2016.
We are just fans. There must be a really good reason Peters is still available. Ask a recruiter, Im sure they have the answer. IMO, he struggles at the next level with position. Doesn't shoot it well enough to be a 2G, not quite big enough to be a 3.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT