ADVERTISEMENT

Top teams for 2019-2020

da real

Sports Fanatic
Jun 18, 2001
Besides Sheldon and DLS, what teams will be competing for the open division next season?

Campolindo has to be up there, especially with only one senior starter graduating. I actually think they might be better than DLS next year.

Dublin isn't much of a sleeper, but a ton of their players will be returning next year.

Riordan should be better, even though they are losing some key players. Have 4 D1 caliber athletes on their team next season and all four should contribute.

Mitty will be a strong contender so long as Devan Sapp stays there and doesn't go to a prep school.

Reactions: DonniePeckerwood
Salesian has a lot coming back, they will be in the open. Modesto Christian maybe, depends on the transfers they get, looks like Jalen Green isn't going to MC

Riordan will be very good next year and they always get transfers. Rumor I heard is that the kid from Stuart hall may be headed that way.

Sheldon
Dublin
Salesian
Campolindo
DLS
Riordan
Mitty
Folsom

This is a real good list. I'm not as high long term on Dublin because they don't guard anybody. And as you go deep into the playoffs you have to be able to win games in the 50's. DLS is going to be really tough with all there size and returning players. Could you imagine if the Mahaney brothers and that soph went to DLS? You would be talking about a team that could beat anybody in the state. Folsom will be beatable the first month of season when Lynch is out for football but they return all starters and at least 3-4 players that contributed. Another team that deep will be really good. Campo has a chance to be the best team though. They won't be in any dunk contest but my bet is on them to be there at the end.

Ponderosa is a team to lookout for, expect them to make a deep run next year.

Very good young coaching staff up there. I like how hard they play. And yeah they were really young this year. Not the caliber as the list above but for a D2-D3 they should make a nice run.

Reactions: hoopjunkie21
This is a real good list. I'm not as high long term on Dublin because they don't guard anybody. And as you go deep into the playoffs you have to be able to win games in the 50's. DLS is going to be really tough with all there size and returning players. Could you imagine if the Mahaney brothers and that soph went to DLS? You would be talking about a team that could beat anybody in the state. Folsom will be beatable the first month of season when Lynch is out for football but they return all starters and at least 3-4 players that contributed. Another team that deep will be really good. Campo has a chance to be the best team though. They won't be in any dunk contest but my bet is on them to be there at the end.
NO THEY DONT. They lose perhaps there best all around player and team Captain Scott. They also lose their 4th and 6th scorer.

I really thought with the addition of Bagley that Sheldon would be right there in the game with Sierra Canyon. The name of the game was just Sierra Canyon just out-athleted Sheldon, not to mention all the turnovers. Turnovers lead to easy baskets, and highlight reel baskets as we saw.

Expect Sierra Canyon to go for a 3-peat with Terran Frank and Amari Bailey leading the way plus whatever else they want to add to their team. Sierra Canyon basically out-Mater Dei'd Mater Dei.

I dont see any NorCal team coming close next year. The secret formula is Nor Cal has to have an NBA guy, most likely a big man, (i.e. Ivan Rabb) with a D1 point guard who can score (i.e. Paris Austin) surrounded with a team of role players that average 6'4 in height. Otherwise its just lights out against the same type of So Cal team thats in the title game every year.

Private school offseason basketball is just like the NBA offseason now! LOL!

If Riordan lays a hand on Burris.....I will never watch High School basketball again. I'll say that right now. Nigel has such a great relationship with the Stuart Hall coaches, this isn't a Bryce Monroe situation where he didn't see eye-to-eye with the coaches.

I just hope Loyalty isn't dead in high school basketball.

In no order:

Sheldon
Modesto Christian
Salesian
De La Salle
Weston Ranch
Mitty
Campolindo
Dublin
Folsom
Riordan
Moreau
Bishop O'Dowd

There are some I'm missing but this is a starting point for me

In no order:

Sheldon
Modesto Christian
Salesian
De La Salle
Weston Ranch
Mitty
Campolindo
Dublin
Folsom
Riordan
Moreau
Bishop O'Dowd

There are some I'm missing but this is a starting point for me

The Sacramento as a whole will be better than this past season. Sheldon will be Sheldon but the next 4-5 teams will all be very good and improved. Capital, Jesuit, Folsom and Sac hi bring back almost everyone. Grant will fall off a bit with losing 3 huge senior pieces but they have talent returning. Franklin should be very solid as well and they had the best frosh in the area he has the potential to be a high major player.

Jesuit is a good one to add in. They have a big kid who sat out right?

Capital's roster was a bit of a mess after Kendall left. Wonder how they will look next year

Sac High is going to be solid next year. Had them Top 20 to start this season.

Grant will be interesting with their guards. This was the year for a deep run with the bigs they had

Yes Jesuit has a kid who must be 6"10-6"11 on the bench but I don't know anything about him. They have the super Soph Silva coming back and Rutherford but lose the other high scoring guard Jones to graduation. They were pretty young. Just didn't have that great of size. Need to get a 6'4-6"5 type forward who can give them a presence in addition to the big kid. I think the JV/Frosh teams were pretty good so maybe you get a couple kids that fill the space.

I really thought with the addition of Bagley that Sheldon would be right there in the game with Sierra Canyon. The name of the game was just Sierra Canyon just out-athleted Sheldon, not to mention all the turnovers. Turnovers lead to easy baskets, and highlight reel baskets as we saw.

Expect Sierra Canyon to go for a 3-peat with Terran Frank and Amari Bailey leading the way plus whatever else they want to add to their team. Sierra Canyon basically out-Mater Dei'd Mater Dei.

I dont see any NorCal team coming close next year. The secret formula is Nor Cal has to have an NBA guy, most likely a big man, (i.e. Ivan Rabb) with a D1 point guard who can score (i.e. Paris Austin) surrounded with a team of role players that average 6'4 in height. Otherwise its just lights out against the same type of So Cal team thats in the title game every year.

I get what you are saying. And Bagley is a nice player but he's no Marvin. He will dominate in the Sac area but that national stage is different. In all honesty he looked pretty average at times against SC. (but that baseline is the highest in the country so average is still good while most kids look bad).
You need the smarts and structure of a DLS/Campo along with a handful of D1 players and have the game of your life. I've seen it happen at Arco but its becoming less and less common. If Sheldon had guards that could shoot and extend the floor it would have been a lot closer outcome. I don't think athletically the gap was that different. (Size was though)

Larry please explain why you think dls will be good you say they have young talent I only know 1 freshmen dargan I believe that played many minutes there other 4 top players were all seniors. and there jv team was not good??

Larry please explain why you think dls will be good you say they have young talent I only know 1 freshmen dargan I believe that played many minutes there other 4 top players were all seniors. and there jv team was not good??

Its DLS.... When are they not in the conversation? This is just off top my head but gotta be top 3 winning programs over the past 20 years in norcal. The PG will be a big loss. Otherwise they will be fine and young players will step up. One of few programs what you don't see random kids show up every year. They develop young talent and kids learn how to play the right way. Why do they succeed every year with inferior talent. They play hard all the time.

I get what you are saying. And Bagley is a nice player but he's no Marvin. He will dominate in the Sac area but that national stage is different. In all honesty he looked pretty average at times against SC. (but that baseline is the highest in the country so average is still good while most kids look bad).
You need the smarts and structure of a DLS/Campo along with a handful of D1 players and have the game of your life. I've seen it happen at Arco but its becoming less and less common. If Sheldon had guards that could shoot and extend the floor it would have been a lot closer outcome. I don't think athletically the gap was that different. (Size was though)

So our last Northl team to win Open was BOD with the criteria that I specified. That MD team they beat Im going to say is not as good as Lonzo's CH team that won or these last two SC teams. The North teams more often than not are not going to be able to match up size, speed, and athelticism over the South counterpart. Can argue the best way to beat the South against their talent is not play their game and make it a DLS type game. Use shot clock, slow it down, dont turn it over, make the game boring. DLS was up 30-28 against CH that one year. They had the right idea but couldnt double their effort in the 2nd half and lost by 20.

DLS had a frosh big #42 that reminded me of Jon McArthur. Big body and had some moves. I think when he and Dargan are Juniors they can be special .

DLS does not have inferior talent. That is a myth.

You need the smarts and structure of a DLS/Campo

"Smarts and structure" will only take you so far. DLS and campo would have been destroyed by sierra canyon. Campo gets destroyed next year by sierra canyon or the socal representative.

DLS had a frosh big #42 that reminded me of Jon McArthur. Big body and had some moves. I think when he and Dargan are Juniors they can be special .
#42 looks like he isnt going to grow more than another inch.... he better shed that weight and work on that handle... the open aint the time or place...

"Smarts and structure" will only take you so far. DLS and campo would have been destroyed by sierra canyon. Campo gets destroyed next year by sierra canyon or the socal representative.
i was gonna say that.... but what he was saying is the white of DLS or Campo and through in the ethnicity of Richmond/Pittsburg/Antioch and you have a chance.
NOBODY was beating that SC team this year.

So our last Northl team to win Open was BOD with the criteria that I specified. That MD team they beat Im going to say is not as good as Lonzo's CH team that won or these last two SC teams. The North teams more often than not are not going to be able to match up size, speed, and athelticism over the South counterpart. Can argue the best way to beat the South against their talent is not play their game and make it a DLS type game. Use shot clock, slow it down, dont turn it over, make the game boring. DLS was up 30-28 against CH that one year. They had the right idea but couldnt double their effort in the 2nd half and lost by 20.
i remember when DLS played against Fairfax and Josh Shipp... that was the most boring game ever.. DLS was determined to not get in a shootout.

If Riordan can get Riiny and Chan plus if there are more cousins that are like 7'4 and you put them all in there with Monroe and Clark, I think theres a chance vs the South.

Reactions: rabbit5
I personally feel like Salesian’s is going to finally right the playoff ship next year. Not so sure about talent, who is leaving and staying. But they continue to kill it during the reg season and then go Belly up in States.

Salesian’s would have put up a much better fight than Sheldon did.

He smothered the star from San Leandro. Absolutely bothered the hell out of him. For a big kid he moved really well. Honestly looks like a D1 football prospect but I heard he doesn't play. Easily 6"5 240+. Not saying he's some great player but that is a kid I want on my side.

I personally feel like Salesian’s is going to finally right the playoff ship next year. Not so sure about talent, who is leaving and staying. But they continue to kill it during the reg season and then go Belly up in States.

Attrition caught up to them and MC has better individual talent. Also, not to toot my own horn but someone who will remain nameless called that final NorCal matchup and result last March. (Toot toot) MC will be back next year as well. The big kid is back, Pearson is talented but needs to learn how to be a point, and they have one of the top shooters in NorCal. Couple that with that fact that a kid or two always seem to find their way to Sisk rd and they will be excellent.

Your entitled to your opinion. I thought salesian was great all year. But I’m not going to say a better chance then Sheldon. After just getting beat by MC by double digits 5 days earlier. Again, everybody has an opinion. Early in the season Salesian, and I agree with you.

Salesian not Salesian's

There are a lot of schools that would love to have the inferior talent that DLS gets every year. Maybe they don’t get Sheldon or Salesian talent every year, but like their other sports programs, they are always very deep and have a steady supply of studs. Dougherty Valley would kill for some of that height.

Reactions: ayalar09
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT