ADVERTISEMENT

Top teams for 2019-2020

There are a lot of schools that would love to have the inferior talent that DLS gets every year. Maybe they don’t get Sheldon or Salesian talent every year, but like their other sports programs, they are always very deep and have a steady supply of studs. Dougherty Valley would kill for some of that height.

Inferior talent to some of these other top Open schools. I'm not talking about inferior talent to places like Cal High. C'mon now. Look at this years team. How many kids off that team will play college basketball? The PG can play D2/D3 and the big kid 6"7 can play at that level as well. But they aren't sending kids to even a Sac State/Big Sky. Salesian, MC, ODOWD, Sheldon, and Dublin have some pretty legit D1 players each year.

Inferior talent to some of these other top Open schools. I'm not talking about inferior talent to places like Cal High. C'mon now. Look at this years team. How many kids off that team will play college basketball? The PG can play D2/D3 and the big kid 6"7 can play at that level as well. But they aren't sending kids to even a Sac State/Big Sky. Salesian, MC, ODOWD, Sheldon, and Dublin have some pretty legit D1 players each year.

They’ve got a starter at USF right now who’s pretty talented. Isn’t that a step up from Sac St.? I can think of a handful of D1 players they’ve had in the recent past. Santa Clara, USF, Arizona, St. Mary’s, Pepperdine...

He smothered the star from San Leandro. Absolutely bothered the hell out of him. For a big kid he moved really well. Honestly looks like a D1 football prospect but I heard he doesn't play. Easily 6"5 240+. Not saying he's some great player but that is a kid I want on my side.

A big yup on that kid. I thought the same thing watching him. "SET THE PICK BIG MAN, SET THE PICK"
Here's wishing you great hoops

Reactions: DonniePeckerwood
If Riordan lays a hand on Burris.....I will never watch High School basketball again. I'll say that right now. Nigel has such a great relationship with the Stuart Hall coaches, this isn't a Bryce Monroe situation where he didn't see eye-to-eye with the coaches.

I just hope Loyalty isn't dead in high school basketball.
One of only kids on this board that people like to put in their mouth with some type of negative connotations behind it. Do not know me personally or my son. Just crazy. Nor do you know the reality of things.

Sheldon must have had some legit d1 guys on last years state open runner up team. Only dls does it with non d1 guys right?

One of only kids on this board that people like to put in their mouth with some type of negative connotations behind it. Do not know me personally or my son. Just crazy. Nor do you know the reality of things.

I can only imagine how frustrating that is, but you have to consider the source. If the Burris family made a different choice for their son, you can bet this dude would turn on him like he was a pro player.

Sheldon must have had some legit d1 guys on last years state open runner up team. Only dls does it with non d1 guys right?
A little sarcasm or do you not know.
SHELDON had 2 Juco players and 1 Juco football player. Lots of good things happen when you play hard.

I didn’t know the facts were negative. There are two sides to every story, your story, other peoples story and the truth. Never met the kid before, but what I’ve read, he didn’t just up and leave Sacred Heart because he wanted a “better educational experience.” Just call a spade a spade. Don’t try to bs us and say he left for other reasons other than the coaching staff.

As for Burris, I’d support him no matter what, but if he did leave for Riordan the pain would be too much for me and I wouldn’t want to watch High School Basketball anymore.

I’ll conclude by saying I think the transfer rules in California are bogus, and you should have to sit out a full season if you transfer and 2 full seasons if you transfer in conference a la The Bryce Monroe.

I recall the coach at ISA yelling at a prominent Riordan booster so all could hear "you better not be hear to get Lowhorn to transfer to Riordan." This was just after a few years that Tofi and Kately matriculated to Riordan. Charlie is a good coach and better person. I would have difficulty knowing this kid transferred for the wrong reason. My gut tells me he stays.

Look, Riordan got their kid last year and it worked out for them. SHC surprised people at the end. It worked out for both teams.

Last edited:
I hope Burris goes to Riordan so we can retire @ayalar09. And let's be real how much comp is he getting at SH? WCAL would definitely push the kid compared to playing University 3-4x.
Mr. Monroe your 93 team vs Undefeated Mack team with Cherry, Otis & Powell?

Reactions: Renard Monroe
A little sarcasm or do you not know.
SHELDON had 2 Juco players and 1 Juco football player. Lots of good things happen when you play hard.

A lot of sarcasm heat. Currie and Kato have been some of my favorite players to watch coming out of the eg area, and that goes back to seeing guys like mo Miller, james Marshall, joe kirchofer, josh davis, rob ketchum, rob Sallie, Wayne hunter, etc. You dont gotta convince me about the work they put in over on kingsbridge.

One thing that gets lost when it comes to sheldon is how the staff gets a bunch of really good players to come together and buy in as a team. A lot of these kids could shine and be "the man" at other schools, but they buy in to be a part of something bigger than themselves.

Reactions: H.E.A.T.
I recall the coach at ISA yelling at a prominent Riordan booster so all could hear "you better not be hear to get Lowhorn to transfer to Riordan." This was just after a few years that Tofi and Kately matriculated to Riordan. Charlie is a good coach and better person. I would have difficulty knowing this kid transferred for the wrong reason. My gut tells me he stays.

Look, Riordan got their kid last year and it worked out for them. SHC surprised people at the end. It worked out for both teams.

People like TwitterLegend and RJ223 are the type of people to talk all this mess on a message board. But in person would probably curl in a little ball.

I know more about High School basketball than 99% of this message board. Maybe Marcskit and StreakOne know more than me, but the rest of you. Your high school basketball knowledge is nothing compared to mine.

You can be 40 or 50 or even 60, I still know more about the game of basketball than you do.

Funny how no one addressed my idea of having kids sit out a full year if they transfer to a new school and two full years if they transfer to a new school in conference. College basketball uses this rule, and while it doesn't prevent transfers, it def. halts a lot of kids from transferring.

I didn’t know the facts were negative. There are two sides to every story, your story, other peoples story and the truth. Never met the kid before, but what I’ve read, he didn’t just up and leave Sacred Heart because he wanted a “better educational experience.” Just call a spade a spade. Don’t try to bs us and say he left for other reasons other than the coaching staff.

As for Burris, I’d support him no matter what, but if he did leave for Riordan the pain would be too much for me and I wouldn’t want to watch High School Basketball anymore.

I’ll conclude by saying I think the transfer rules in California are bogus, and you should have to sit out a full season if you transfer and 2 full seasons if you transfer in conference a la The Bryce Monroe.
Here is your spade...keep my son name out your mouth. If I find out who you are...I will show you a spade...nothing more nothing less. That's why he was eligible immediately because you don't know anything.

Put me down in the Burris transfers to Riordan column! Let the kid challenge himself with better competition and not hide in the comfy confines of the Bay Counties League.

If saying a kid shouldn't transfer is considered being disrespectful. Well Then I will continue being disrespectful.

Done with this conversation. We'll see where everything falls in the end.

I'm not going to continue arguing with a man who got fired from his job for asking for Mark Mcgwire's autograph way back when.

Later.

@ayalar09 take your meds! Your comedy to most on this board. SH gets a few players and you pop up. I'd you've never seen a D1 practice. If I'm wrong my bad. & I'd be careful on calling people out. All it takes is for someone to go to a SH game and your easy to figure out . Not sure you want the smoke your building with your fingers. Stay a Stan/fan and enjoy SH while they are relevant.

He is not worth anyone's time Renard. He doesnt have a son like Bryce to be proud of. We'll just pray this guy grows a heart.
It's worth it for me now. I am retired from coaching just supporting my kids now. Its curious to me how people think they know what transpires.
I guess Nate Robinson should have sat, Emmett Neal, Ryan Daly etc...each situation was different. Kori McCoy and Big O came to Sacred Heart to go to school and play with my son. Kori and my son have been teammates since the 4th grade...you think it was that easy for my son to leave his school of choice. Just crazy...
It's crazy how adults want to penalize kids for situations that are not conducive for them. You only get one high school experience.
I got three kids but I have coached and have many relationships with kids playing right now and their families. Anyone coming at any kid but especially mine can expect my response. I have respected everyone's opinion on this board. Never been disrespectful but I can be as much as the next person. I dont bring up my son in a bragging or high horse manner. Its always a response to someone else bringing him up in their post. I know the reason he is brought up whether people want to admit it or not but if he was just some average high school player he would not even be brought up, it comes with the territory I guess, but just for all the Stephen A Smith's and Max Kellermen of the world just know I will respond .

@ayalar09 take your meds! Your comedy to most on this board. SH gets a few players and you pop up. I'd you've never seen a D1 practice. If I'm wrong my bad. & I'd be careful on calling people out. All it takes is for someone to go to a SH game and your easy to figure out . Not sure you want the smoke your building with your fingers. Stay a Stan/fan and enjoy SH while they are relevant.

Never seen a D1 practice...funny stuff. I saw two teams, Seton Hall my freshman year of college and University of San Diego my junior year go to the NCAA tournament. I could easily say I’m a Duke fan or a Gonzaga fan, but I stay true to my teams no matter how small they are.

This convo has gotten out of control. And I’m done with it. If that rumor is true than so be it. Nothing I can do about it. But I will stay true to my word that if this happens I will not be attending high school basketball games ever again.

Oh yeah I’ll top it all off with the fact I saw Kyrie Irving play in high school during a maxpreps Tournament in San Diego. Saw Kawaii Leonard play while he was at SDSU.

I like all sorts of levels of basketball. Don’t just think I’m this “fan” just for The Hall.

And I want to say for the record I never once commented on Bryce’s skills as a basketball player. Not once. Just his choice to leave a school for another in conference school.

And I want to say for the record I never once commented on Bryce’s skills as a basketball player. Not once. Just his choice to leave a school for another in conference school.
Thats just weird that you have such feelings about a child who is not yours and what their choice is. People change their minds and move forward. You seem stuck in the past. If youre going to be stuck in the past, try embracing what was in the past instead of exposing negative feelings about it.

If you ask the Socal folk who will be the Open Rep next year most say Mater Dei. Sierra Canyon losing the big 3 has some work to do. And believe me they will

People like TwitterLegend and RJ223 are the type of people to talk all this mess on a message board. But in person would probably curl in a little ball.

I know more about High School basketball than 99% of this message board. Maybe Marcskit and StreakOne know more than me, but the rest of you. Your high school basketball knowledge is nothing compared to mine.

You can be 40 or 50 or even 60, I still know more about the game of basketball than you do.

Funny how no one addressed my idea of having kids sit out a full year if they transfer to a new school and two full years if they transfer to a new school in conference. College basketball uses this rule, and while it doesn't prevent transfers, it def. halts a lot of kids from transferring.
I go away for two hours and look what happens.

Speaking for the other 1%, like Trump, if you say it long enough, people will believe you. Really, just enjoy the spring and summer. BTW. How is Stuart Hall baseball? Look forward to your analysis on that board. Dont be one dimensional and just comment on basketball.

Thats just weird that you have such feelings about a child who is not yours and what their choice is. People change their minds and move forward. You seem stuck in the past. If youre going to be stuck in the past, try embracing what was in the past instead of exposing negative feelings about it.

I was thinking the same thing! His posts are cringeworthy in this thread and definitely creepy, who obsesses about another man’s child decision about high school basketball like that ?

that would be 3 sides......

If you ask the Socal folk who will be the Open Rep next year most say Mater Dei. Sierra Canyon losing the big 3 has some work to do. And believe me they will

Wonder if Okongwu's brother is as good, if so CH should be up there with the usual suspects.

LMAOOOOOO

"Guys, I don't think you know who you're talking to here, I (as in ME) once saw Kyrie Irving, THEEE Kyrie Irving, play a high school basketball game. Case closed, I know more about basketball than all of you charlatans. Good day to you sirs."

I'm out but I change my vote to #BurrisStays so this comic doesn't leave the message board.

If saying a kid shouldn't transfer is considered being disrespectful. Well Then I will continue being disrespectful.

Done with this conversation. We'll see where everything falls in the end.

I'm not going to continue arguing with a man who got fired from his job for asking for Mark Mcgwire's autograph way back when.

Later.

R. Monroe thinks you're being disrespectful. So quit it. You can't tell someone how they should feel based on your comments. Always thought your posts made you come across as arrogant and Mr. Know it All. You're posts in this thread confirms you are both. Just cause you played, watched and is a fan of basketball doesn't mean you know all the facts of every situation. Stay humble, respectful and the convos here would be a lot more mature.

LMAO. The only people who knows more than you is Streak and Marcskit? Please explain why you think you know more about basketball than the rest of us 99%.

Last edited:
This particular thread started as opinions of who the top teams will be for next season. Somehow a guy felt a need to bring up a player's name and speculate his situation. Then say " let's call a spade a spade" on top of that say there a multiple sides and then there's the truth , saying what I wrote was BS... as to imply that I and my son were being untruthful about things. So there is the DISRESPECT ...Stuart Hall supporter? I know Charlie, coached against Charlie. Coached kids that went and go to Stuart Hall currently. Helping one of their players now find a place to play at the next level...smh...just crazy.
Fyi:
Does anyone know that the player lives a half a mile from his new school?
Does anyone know that a coach was suspended from coaching the team in the summer from a certain situation that occured?
Does anyone know there was kid that paid full tuition to SHC who transferred from St.Joes after a certain situation decided to not attend the school and go to Palo Alto?

you dont as much about it if you still cant figure out that legal guarding position

Reactions: MadHatter11
I go away for two hours and look what happens.

Speaking for the other 1%, like Trump, if you say it long enough, people will believe you. Really, just enjoy the spring and summer. BTW. How is Stuart Hall baseball? Look forward to your analysis on that board. Dont be one dimensional and just comment on basketball.
whats baseball?

I played high school football against Tom Brady in 1995, I'm 99% positive I know more about football than Bill Belichick. The only person that knows more is Bill Walsh.

Ridiculous! I've played EA Madden since '95 on Super NES, I know more football that just about anyone and I also played Bill Walsh College Football '95, so I definitely know more football than Bill Walsh.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT