ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL 2016 Basketball: SHC over SI in O/T & other scores

Rmbr26

Hall of Famer
Sep 25, 2004
Just getting into the basket ball season and not a lot of info flowing yet on all teams. Some teams also just starting out with 3-games under their belts while others have played 5-6 games. So no direct info I've read so far indicates a clear favortie for the WCAL. The initial ratings below for games played so far have to be minimized as to a lack of play between WCAL teams.

So based upon initial games and opponents records here is where the WCAL teams are currently rated. Anyone ready to predict SF or SHC possibly as the teams to beat?

Bell's 3-0
Serra 2-1
SF 2-1
Mitty 2-2
SHC 3-2
Riordan 3-2
SI 2-2
VC - N/A

Here is how I see it:

Mitty and St. Francis are in the top tier at 1 and 2. Very evenly matched this year, but you could give the edge to St. Francis being the defending champions.

Next tier is Riordan, Sacred Heart Cathedral and Bellarmine. All have clear strengths and weaknesses.

SI and Valley Christian bring up the back of the pack.

Streak,that is the way I see it too and I would put Serra up there as well. I've seen Mitty, SI, and SF play. Mitty is very beatable but still good. I would press the hell of them like Modesto Christian did in the 2nd half. They didn't handle it well. If they get in there half court sets they are tough to beat.

Just getting into the basket ball season and not a lot of info flowing yet on all teams. Some teams also just starting out with 3-games under their belts while others have played 5-6 games. So no direct info I've read so far indicates a clear favorite for the WCAL. The initial ratings below for games played so far have to be minimized as to a lack of play between WCAL teams.

So based upon initial games and opponents records here is where the WCAL teams are currently rated. Anyone ready to predict SF or SHC possibly as the teams to beat?

Bell's 3-0
Serra 2-1
SF 2-1
Mitty 2-2
SHC 3-2
Riordan 3-2
SI 2-2
VC - N/A

I haven't seen the Irish play but they're a young team with only one senior in Jamar Williams-Sheppard and he's the 6th man on the bench. In the "Duel in The Desert" tournament, they lost to Pinnacle with a front line of a 6' 8" player, and three guys 6' 7" each. Then after an OT loss to Higley, they beat Santiago of Corona. Alfred Hollins was on the All-Tournament team.

They play at Drake on Dec. 22nd, so that should give people a better idea of how good they are. SHC will be the team to watch this year and the team to beat next season.

I only saw Riordan online against Castlemont, and Valley Christian is 3-0 so far. Watch them beat SI this season.

Last edited:
I haven't seen the Irish play but they're a young team with only one senior in Jamar Williams-Sheppard and he's the 6th man on the bench. In the "Duel in The Desert" tournament, they lost to Pinnacle with a front line of a 6' 8" player, and three guys 6' 7" each. Then after an OT loss to Higley, they beat Santiago of Corona. Alfred Hollins was on the All-Tournament team.

They play at Drake on Dec. 22nd, so that should give people a better idea of how good they are. SHC will be the team to watch this year and the team to beat next season.
SHCP for Girls fans already making excuses just like football. Too young, too short, wait till next year though! Excuse kings or queen if you are IrishCheers

St. Francis and Mitty at the top, giving a slight nod to the Lancers to finish first. Sacred Heart, Serra, Bellarmine, and Riordan (no bonafide big is gonna hurt them). SI and Valley Christian are closer, rather than farther, from the middle pack of teams. Irish can make noise this year, but next year seems to be their year. Junior laden team who will grow up in a hurry!

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
Fool-bo said:
SHC fans already making excuses just like football...

Blah, blah, blah...

Proverbs 23:9 - "Don't waste your breath on fools, for they will despise the wisest advice".

Last edited:
Reactions: Rikfran
Oops, forgot Serra :/

I would actually put Serra in the second tier by themselves. Wasn't real impressed with them against DLS. Still trying to find a way to work in Wilson.

Oops, forgot Serra :/

I would actually put Serra in the second tier by themselves. Wasn't real impressed with them against DLS. Still trying to find a way to work in Wilson.

Didn't see the Serra-DLS game, but did read the posts. Have to say that although DLS is rated highly this season Serra putting up only 25-points against any team has to be a concern...

Didn't see the Serra-DLS game, but did read the posts. Have to say that although DLS is rated highly this season Serra putting up only 25-points against any team has to be a concern...
I remember going to a game last year at Riordan and Serra scored 33 points and won! It was a truly painful game to watch. As you know they ended up winning CCS Open and got to the second round of Nor Cal Open division after beating Moreau Catholic. They will be fine in league play. They have the best coach in the WCAL hands down.

So with VC currently at 3-0 does that mean the Warrior's may give up their position as the WCAL "Celler Dweller" over numerous consecutive season's? Hard to say at this point as I looked up VC's 3 games & not much to get excited about. VC dominated SHP 86-64 who I thought should have a good team this season - at which point I realized most of their best players are still on the football team in this week's state bowl game.
VC's 2nd game was a 98-34 thrashing of James Lick and the 3rd win was over a 2-2 Fremont squad.

Bell's 3-0 records is against opponents similar to those VC has faced. The Bell's have a close win over M-A [58-57] and 2 easy wins over Sequoia & Mill's. M-A is easily the best of those 3 teams and the 1-point win by Bell's. Not sure how many player's though are still on Bell's football team.

1. Mitty
2. St. Francis
3. SHC
4. Serra
5. Riordan
6. Bellarmine
7. S.I.
8. V.C.

1. St. Francis (all key players return)
2. Mitty (Monarchs Much less after his departure)
3. Serra (Will Wilson fit into a Chuck Rapp scheme that relies on tight man defense and a fast tempo motion offense?)
4. SHC (if the Irish shed their "AAU"-style play and play real team basketball - look out!)
5 Riordan (undersized, but kids on the roster know how to "ball" - Buckner-style!)
6. Bellarmine (Athens is a stud, but can't do it alone)
7. SI (good size, but are they athletic enough?)
8. VC (team name "Warriors" is the only thing that is impressive - this is not football)

Gonna go with

1. St. Francis
2. Mitty
3. Sacred Heart
4. Serra
5. Riordan
6. Bellarmine
7. St. Ignatius
8. Valley Christian

As I mentioned in an earlier post, SI and Valley Christian although rated 7 and 8 in my rankings, are closer to the middle pack (teams 4-6), than being a distant 7 and 8.

Last edited:
Some of you guys need to go out and actually watch some of these teams play. Past history only gets you so far. Serra lost Burlingame tonight and it wasn't even close. They can't score and are not playing Chuck Rapp defense. Rapp will have them compete every game but it could be a long year for my padres. They are down this year and Wilson is a year away.

St. Francis returned their top 6/7 players from last year. They are the team to beat.

Mitty is solid, but so is Bellarmine and SI- Don't sleep on those teams SHCP and Riordan are super athletic. Even Valley is going to surprise teams. Their guards can play. I think 2nd and 3rd place teams could all have 4 and 5 loses. I think this year in the WCAL any team can lose on any given night and it wouldn't surprise me.

Some of you guys need to go out and actually watch some of these teams play. Past history only gets you so far. Serra lost Burlingame tonight and it wasn't even close. They can't score and are not playing Chuck Rapp defense. Rapp will have them compete every game but it could be a long year for my padres. They are down this year and Wilson is a year away.

St. Francis returned their top 6/7 players from last year. They are the team to beat.

Mitty is solid, but so is Bellarmine and SI- Don't sleep on those teams SHCP and Riordan are super athletic. Even Valley is going to surprise teams. Their guards can play. I think 2nd and 3rd place teams could all have 4 and 5 loses. I think this year in the WCAL any team can lose on any given night and it wouldn't surprise me.

I think we'll get a better gauge on Riordan and SI when the Kitties play a common opponent in Castlemont.

So is it a down year for the WCAL?

Padre Whisper-I think you may be going a little overboard. I was at the game and Burlingame played out of their minds. My daughter goes to school there and I have seen them play 3 times now they never have looked that good. Give them credit for playing hard and executing. They deserved to win. Serra always gets better as the year goes on. Rapp does an excellent job getting his players ready to compete. I feel they competed last night but just could not execute or make a shot. We will see how they bounce back against University tonight, who beat Riordan.

Reactions: Oldschoolcity
From the Serra web site:

"The Padre basektball team traveled to a sold-out Burlingame High School on Friday night and fell by the score of 66-55. Serra got right back at it on Saturday night in the Annual Merv Harris Classic. The Padres hosted University High School of San Francisco. Behind a strong first-quarter from Jake Killingsworth and Lee Jones, Serra was able to build a 21-15 lead after one. A solid 2nd quarter from the Padres resulted in the lead being increased to 39-26 at the break. The Padres and Red Devils played a tight 3rd quarter and the lead was cut to 12 at 52-40. The Padres built a 20 point lead in the 4th quarter before University cut it back down to 12 for the 73-61 final score. Jeremiah Testa led the Padres with 16 points and 6 rebounds, Killingsworth tallied 15 points, 11 rebounds and 6 assists while Jones chipped in with 15 points and 8 assists. The win puts the Padres mark at 3-2 on the season with the Marin Catholic Tournament up next. Serra opens up the tournament against Napa High School on Saturday, December 26th. Tip-off is set for 12:30 p.m."

I would say 1) St. Francis, 2) Mitty, otherwise it could be just about anybody in the battle for 3rd, though I'd have to respect Serra, despite what they've looked like so far.

I would say 1) St. Francis, 2) Mitty, otherwise it could be just about anybody in the battle for 3rd, though I'd have to respect Serra, despite what they've looked like so far.
Kiddman, I would have to agree...though Serra typically improves (as Riordan to a certain extent) as the season progresses based on the past few seasons...I understand the Crusaders Galindo was in street clothes again in their loss against M-A?

Actually it doesn't bode well for Irish_Cheers... don't know where he gets his info from, but SI beat Castlemont 61-24.
I got it from MaxPreps. I looked all over for the score and that's the first place I saw it. I had the same reaction as CV-II.

Saw Valley play this past week against Fremont, Sunnyvale. Fremont was playing without a point guard and it showed in the second half as they turned the ball over repeatedly. Bobby Santos is one helluva shooter and made 5 3's in the second half. Guaranteed they win some WCAL games this year.

Saw Valley play this past week against Fremont, Sunnyvale. Fremont was playing without a point guard and it showed in the second half as they turned the ball over repeatedly. Bobby Santos is one helluva shooter and made 5 3's in the second half. Guaranteed they win some WCAL games this year.
I saw that VC lost @ home to Evergreen Valley High. I've never heard of this school...

WCAL Teams current records in order of CCS rankings by MaxPreps:

Ranking - Team - Record
#2 - St. Francis 5-1
#3 - Bell's 6-1
#6 - Serra 4-2
#10 - Mitty 3-4
#12 - St. Ignatius 6-2
#20 - SHC 4-4
#24 - VC 6-1
#26 - Riordan 3-3

Last edited:
How so Irish? So far the basket ball season is starting to look as unpredictable as the football season was week to week this past season.
Most fans have had limited viewings of most if not all the WCAL teams, so let's see what we do know about the games so far & if those MaxPreps rankings are way off or not for WCAL & CCS.

#2 - ST. Francis 5-1 with only loss to a highly ranked Sacramento team who is 11-0 and currently #2 in the state. Among its 5 wins is a win over a very good Palma team who plays HMB upcoming.

#3 Bell's 6-1 have played a decent schedule with only loss to #1 team in CCS HMB while handing a good MA team their only loss so far.

#6 Serra 4-2 with losses coming to DLS & a tough Burlingame squad. Serra had several blow-out wins over weak comptetiton, but took down University of SF by 12 who had previously squeaked by Riordan.

#10 Mitty 3-4 has a deceptive record to say the least & by far & away the toughest schedule to date of any WCAL team. Mitty has the top win of any WCAL team against highly rated St. Augustine of SoCal and it seems all its other opponents were not too shabby either. Look up the teams and the 3-4 is actually quite impressive.

#12 St. Ignatius 6-2 has a loss to highly rated entennial Catholic & a narrow low to HMB.

#20 SHC 4-4 is tough at this point to evaluate clearly, SHC has had a solid schedule with some good teams of which the Irish have lost to all 4 of them.

#24 VC 6-1 has had perhaps the weakest schedule of any WCAL team and not played any team ranked high in state or CCS. VC's biggest win was a blow-out of Fremont/Sunnyvale which played a close game against a very good Burlingame squad.

#26 Riordan 3-3 is another tough to judge just yet with losses to some good teams and best game is a win over St. Mary's Berkeley. Tonite RIordan faces a big challenge vs Monte Vista [Danville] which will shed further light on how talented the Crusader's are for this season.

How so Irish? So far the basket ball season is starting to look as unpredictable as the football season was week to week this past season.
Most fans have had limited viewings of most if not all the WCAL teams, so let's see what we do know about the games so far & if those MaxPreps rankings are way off or not for WCAL & CCS.

#2 - ST. Francis 5-1 with only loss to a highly ranked Sacramento team who is 11-0 and currently #2 in the state. Among its 5 wins is a win over a very good Palma team who plays HMB upcoming.

#3 Bell's 6-1 have played a decent schedule with only loss to #1 team in CCS HMB while handing a good MA team their only loss so far.

#6 Serra 4-2 with losses coming to DLS & a tough Burlingame squad. Serra had several blow-out wins over weak comptetiton, but took down University of SF by 12 who had previously squeaked by Riordan.

#10 Mitty 3-4 has a deceptive record to say the least & by far & away the toughest schedule to date of any WCAL team. Mitty has the top win of any WCAL team against highly rated St. Augustine of SoCal and it seems all its other opponents were not too shabby either. Look up the teams and the 3-4 is actually quite impressive.

#12 St. Ignatius 6-2 has a loss to highly rated entennial Catholic & a narrow low to HMB.

#20 SHC 4-4 is tough at this point to evaluate clearly, SHC has had a solid schedule with some good teams of which the Irish have lost to all 4 of them.

#24 VC 6-1 has had perhaps the weakest schedule of any WCAL team and not played any team ranked high in state or CCS. VC's biggest win was a blow-out of Fremont/Sunnyvale which played a close game against a very good Burlingame squad.

#26 Riordan 3-3 is another tough to judge just yet with losses to some good teams and best game is a win over St. Mary's Berkeley. Tonite RIordan faces a big challenge vs Monte Vista [Danville] which will shed further light on how talented the Crusader's are for this season.
Riordan 58-57 Final over Monte Vista

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT