ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL 2016 Basketball: SHC over SI in O/T & other scores

Gary Radnich just stated that Darrell Barbour said it was a clear violation and ref made right call. Barbour is a great coach and a class act.

Gary Radnich is a class act as well. His daughter is a sophomore at SHC. Someone on another post said the loss was on Barbour?...I disagree, Barbour is a class act and he wins more than loses. I am sure there was a good reason why some personnel were out there and some were not. I don't always like his style but his results overall are hard to argue about either. Hollins played great, I also liked him slapping the back of an SI player after nailing a 3 pointer and getting fouled saying, "Come on, it will take more than that to stop me." :)

Bell's 49 - Mitty 47

So Bell's now 10-2 [2-1 league] take down the Mitty Monarch's in what would be considered a "minor upset" [or not?].
It was a tight game throughout and the Bell's led 12-11 after one, 25-21 at the 1/2, 36-35 after three and outscored MItty in the 4th by 13-12 for the 2-point win. Mitty is now 7-6 [2-1 league].

Mitty: Scott - 4, Grigsby -5, Kone - 20, LaBruna - 5, Meng - 3, Diaz - 2, Wilson - 5, Peterson - 3.

Bell's: Wojcik - 18, Gaffey - 6, Bradford - 8, Bringuel - 2, Denzel - 7, Saso - 2, Clark - 3, Maxwell - 3.

I concur. Referee had to call it. I was sitting a few rows from the floor on the SI side and it was obvious. Alfred Hollins had played a fine game and I believe he had 30 points. As the last poster said, it was horrible timing.

Also, here is the SF Chronicle article on the game. I understand It was written by a USF student.
http://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/St-Ignatius-boys-squeak-byh-Sacred-Heart-6755215.php

Is the writer of that article the son of Turtle Love?

Bell's 49 - Mitty 47

So Bell's now 10-2 [2-1 league] take down the Mitty Monarch's in what would be considered a "minor upset" [or not?].
It was a tight game throughout and the Bell's led 12-11 after one, 25-21 at the 1/2, 36-35 after three and outscored MItty in the 4th by 13-12 for the 2-point win. Mitty is now 7-6 [2-1 league].

Mitty: Scott - 4, Grigsby -5, Kone - 20, LaBruna - 5, Meng - 3, Diaz - 2, Wilson - 5, Peterson - 3.

Bell's: Wojcik - 18, Gaffey - 6, Bradford - 8, Bringuel - 2, Denzel - 7, Saso - 2, Clark - 3, Maxwell - 3.
Strong win for the Bells. Similar recipe as last year against the Monarchs-pressure their guards and challenge all of their entry passes to Kone.

Will Emery is improving every game. Haven't found confirmation of Dartmouth info. I know Harvard recruiting must be completed by Dec 31. Not sure if that is for whole Ivy League or just Harvard.

It shouldn't surprise people that we consistently see our athlete's going to Ivy League schools. In my rusty memory and being a Serra alum, Tommy McMahon went to Penn, Dan Mavraides (Princeton), Will Powers (Stanford), Enoch Andoh went to Bucknell I believe and that's just basketball! If nothing else, they have their priorities straight and are very bright who work hard at anything they do.

rcb020553 is accurate in his assessment of Serra grads as well as at least a number of other WCAL schools. I know a number of past SI athletes/students have chosen Ivy League schools, in particular to play lacrosse. If not mistaken I remmeber numerous articles stating both Martig & Macauley from Bell's football this past season are headed to Ivy League schools to run track. Here is a blurb from Serra's web site - which BTW is probably the best of the WCAL schools web sites.

"Below are some of the many institutions that Serra graduates currently attend:
We take pride in the fact that our 82.7% AP Pass Rate is one of the highest in the Bay Area. There are Serra graduates at five of the eight Ivy League schools, all of the University of California campuses and all of the California State University campuses."
  • Stanford
  • Harvard
  • Dartmouth
  • Princeton
  • UC Berkeley
  • Yale
  • Northwestern
  • Duke
  • Cal Tech
  • Notre Dame
  • Chicago
  • UCLA
  • USC
  • Amherst
  • Cornell
  • Middlebury
  • UC San Diego
  • Santa Clara
  • Washington University, St. Louis
  • Michigan
  • Cal Poly

Gary Radnich is a class act as well.

Over the years there have been some realty dumb posts on these boards. Congratulations you topped them all with this doosy!

Yes the two time wife cheater, who parks his Bentley in the handicapped stall because he doesn't care is all class!

Funny post!

Over the years there have been some realty dumb posts on these boards. Congratulations you topped them all with this doosy!

Yes the two time wife cheater, who parks his Bentley in the handicapped stall because he doesn't care is all class!

Funny post!
I don't know about that, I was strictly talking about his radio show which I listen to driving to work occasionally...Im glad you know so much about his private matters. I hate to dig up your skeletons bella and place it on norcal preps. I certainly do not condone that behavior but he has always been a nice guy in public that is all Im saying.

Last edited:
His "sports" show is carried by Kruger. He adds zero sports knowledge and absolutely mails it in. His gig with Bruno was good Ineill give him that.

And yes, he is a jackass in person in my experiences.

For what its worth I've listened to KNBR sports talk daily for years [yes daily for year's]. My job is largely on the internet so I listen to Murph & Mac in a.m., then The Gary Radnich Show with Larry Kreuger ["Gary & Larry"] & afternoon its Fitz & Brooks. When not in office I listen to these guys in the car & they are all hilarious & interesting to listen to and better than anyone on the tube. They talk sports along with anything else and nothing is "untouchable", which is refreshing. As for their personal lives formerly or otherwise I don't really care - I tune in for sports and laughs only & am never disappointed. I guess everyone has their own impressions of celebrities, but I've met numerous people who've encountered Radnich as well as Kreuger & never neard a bad word about either one of them, so go figure.

Reactions: Scott2138
For what its worth I've listened to KNBR sports talk daily for years [yes daily for year's]. My job is largely on the internet so I listen to Murph & Mac in a.m., then The Gary Radnich Show with Larry Kreuger ["Gary & Larry"] & afternoon its Fitz & Brooks. When not in office I listen to these guys in the car & they are all hilarious & interesting to listen to and better than anyone on the tube. They talk sports along with anything else and nothing is "untouchable", which is refreshing. As for their personal lives formerly or otherwise I don't really care - I tune in for sports and laughs only & am never disappointed. I guess everyone has their own impressions of celebrities, but I've met numerous people who've encountered Radnich as well as Kreuger & never neard a bad word about either one of them, so go figure.

Fair enough! Not a huge fan of most of the on air talent at KNBR. But I have meet some of them and even if I'm not heir biggest fan they were all cool except one.

Just think that the widely known wife cheater is not what I define as a class act, but everyone is different I guess.

WCAL Basketball 2016:

Current CCS Rankings of WCAL Teams:

1. St. Francis 10-2
3. Serra 10-3
4. Bell's 10-2
5. Mitty 7-6
10. SI 10-3
14. Riordan 6-6
22. SHC 5-7
24. VC 9-4

Bells 56 Riordan 50. Too little, too late for the Crusaders. Had to be one of their worst efforts this season. Very flat on offense and defense against a very efficient and good shooting Bells squad. Yes, it was the Crusaders 2nd game in 2 nights and 3rd in 5 days, but so it was for SF and SHC. Riordan needs to execute on offense and get back to their aggressive defense if it hopes for a deep post season run.

Irish beat Valley Christian 91-82 after squandering a 49-30 halftime lead. Obviously no defense and a lot of 3-pointers. Hollins had 50 points, setting a school record and tying a WCAL record dating back to 1968.

Serra beat Mitty 60-49.

St. Francis beat S.I. 83-56.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scott2138
Fair enough! Not a huge fan of most of the on air talent at KNBR. But I have meet some of them and even if I'm not heir biggest fan they were all cool except one.

Just think that the widely known wife cheater is not what I define as a class act, but everyone is different I guess.
Don't really care for Radnich's radio show. Always plays the contrarian role and often hangs up on callers because they don't fall in the station's demographics. Been doing it for years and it's getting old. I'll always remember him saying when Pac Bell Park opened that the Giants would draw no more than 10,000 fans for a Monday night game

Reactions: bella123
What is everyone's read on Mitty? Just doesn't seem to be coming together.

Serra has rebounded well from some early season turmoil

WCAL Basketball 2016: Weekly San Jose Merc CCS Rankings for SF, SM & SC Counties:

1. St. Francis 13-2
2. HMB 15-1
3. Serra 12-3
4. Bell's 11-3

5. M-A 13-2
6. Mitty 8-7
7. St. Ignatius 11-4

8. Prospect 12-2
9. Burlingame 11-4
10. Gunn 10-1
11. Paly 11-4
12. Riordan 6-9
13. SHC 6-9

14. Piedmont Hills 11-3
15. Los Gatos 10-4

Bits N Pieces: Monday St. Francis defeated Bishop O'Dowd 66-54 in the MLK Classic at Cal's Haas Pavilion [O'Dowd last March led by Ivan Rabb now at Cal ended SF's season during last year's playoffs].
* Hillsdale's guard Taiga Schwarz hit 9-3's & scored 31 in Hillsdale's 55-49 upset over Burlingame.
* SHP who started 1-7 this season has gone 4-0 since football player's rejoined the team. The Gator's standout QB Mason Randall is also impressive on the court & hit 7 - 3's in SHP's 64-60 win over Menlo School.
* Henry Caruso from Serra is now a junior at Princeton & os 2nd in Ivy League scoring at 16.4 per game while Caruso also leads 10-4 Princeton in rebounds at 6.4 PG, 56.6 from the field, 48.6 from 3-point range & 70.8 from the foul line. Caruso has a season high of 29.

Burlingame is one of the hardest teams to assess. Looked very strong against Serra, St Joseph's Notre Dame and Mission and looked awful against Capuchino, Mills and Hillsdale. When Tyler Garlitos and Vinnie Ferrari are slashing to the basket and drawing fouls, they're as good as any team in CCS. When they do nothing but hoist threes and forget about Bassel Mufarreh on the inside, they are absolutely horrible.

They're capable of playing very good defense and can outrebound any team they play, but at times they are incredibly lazy.

For the first time, the PAL may have a champion that could actually do some damage in the Open Division, whether it's Burlingame, Menlo-Atherton or Half Moon Bay.

Reactions: CityVibesII
i know one of Mittys starting guards was hurt at the beginning of the year and i believe,when set to return, hurt himself again couple days before the Jesuit tournament. Is he
still out?

HMB is the class of the PAL. M-A is second. Burlingame, lacking depth and dependent on three guys for just about everything, is the clear third in the PAL lineup. The league itself has very little depth this year. CCS Open remains a WCAL lock, with St. Francis the likely favorite when all is said and done. Serra's loss to Burlingame in December, an aberration by any measure, seems to have boosted the Padres' focus and drive to this point.

St Francis and Serra clearly the class of the league as the first round of the schedule closes next week. SI, Bells and Mitty the second tier and Riordan, SHC and VC make up the bottom. SI is the surprise of the season as they have played well. Crusaders and Irish have their work cut out in order to wind up with a respectable league record. Crusaders have been in every game despite nagging injuries this season. Eric Galindo was in street clothes last night again. Mitty's LaBruno landed hard in the first qtr and sat out the remainder of the game. Ben Kone had an awkward twisting slip and fall in the 4th and did not return. Appeared post game chatting with Stansberry with an ice pack on his knee, so hope it's just a minor hyper extension.

Last edited:
WCAL BAsketball 2016:

Serra 44-40 over Bell's
[High Scorer's =Serra - Jones 13, Bell's - Wojcik & Bradford 10]
Mitty 66-55 over Riordan [Mitty - Kone -21, Scott 12, Riordan - Chun 23, Stansberry 16
SF 67-38 over SHC
SI 73-52 over VC

WCAL Basketball 2016:

Valley Christian's win over the Bell's came via O/T outscoring the Bell's by 16-11 in the final period.

Bell's 3-4 league, 11-5 season
VC 1-6 league, 10-7 Season

Scoring: 1rst Qtr:
11-11 tie, 2nd Qtr: 20-13 Bell's at 1/2, 3rd Qtr: 29-25 Bell's, 4th Qtr: 45-45 tie with VC outscoring Bell's 20-16. O/T VC outscores Bell's again by 16-11 to outscore Bell's 32-22 in the final 2 periods.

Scoring/ Bell's:
Mora - 2, Bringuel - 6, Ogbobu - 4, Athens - 11, Maxwell - 9, Denzel - 3, Saso - 9, Bradford - 3, Clark - 9

Scoring/ VC: Santos - 23, Sokol - 18, Conrad - 8, Kendrick - 6, Alford - 2, Burgess - 4

Reactions: TurtleLoveCA
WCAL BASKETBALL 2016:

Serra Hoops Defeats St. Ignatius In The "Beach" Game

Posted 01/27/2016 09:34Am - Via Serra Athletics Page

The Serra varsity basketball team defeated the St. Ignatius Wildcats in San Francisco last night by the score of 56-46. Minus the services of senior leader Jake Killingsworth due to illness, the Padres got off to a slow start ending the first quarter down 12-9. The Wildcats kept the pressure on throughout the 2nd quarter, going into the half up 24-19 over the Padres. The Padres came back strong in the third quarter with some big buckets by sophomore Jack Wilson and senior Jeremiah Testa to take the lead for the first time in the game and end the third leading 37-31. The Padres continued to dominate the 2nd half throughout the fourth quarter with some key baskets and big free throws late in the game to make it the final of 56-46

Nice win for Serra without Killingsworth. SI is one of those teams that the top teams should beat, but they will get a couple quality wins this year

Based on what I've seen so far this year and what each team has returning from last season:

Tier 1
1. St. Francis - Lots of talent and returning experience.
Tier 2
2. Mitty - Tough non-league schedule should have them primed for WCAL play. Loss of Sebastian Much hurts their ceiling.
3. Serra - Losses to Burlingame and De La Salle. The Padres will be top 3 in league again. In Rapp we trust.
Tier 3
4. Sacred Heart Cathedral
5. Riordan
6. Bellarmine
7. St. Ignatius
More of the same for these 4 teams in Tier 3. Same coaches, same styles, same talent levels, same results. Although SI is young and poised for an upswing.
Tier 4
8. Valley Christian - In the 9 previous seasons the program's league record stands at 8-118. They have currently lost 26 WCAL games in a row.

WCAL Standings at the half way point:

1.) St. Francis 7-0
2.) Serra 6-1
3.) Mitty 4-3
4.) SI 4-3
5.) Bellarmine 3-4
6.) SHC 2-4
7.) Riordan 1-6
8.) VC 1-6

St. Francis is cream of the crop as predicted. Serra is doing what Serra does in league. Win. As for Mitty, the loss of Kone for the season is huge. Without him Mitty is on par with a Bellarmine/Riordan level. SI sophomores have played fairly well and thus have boosted them a bit. They will will the favorites for the league title the next two seasons at least IMO. SHC and Riordan have really been lackluster all season. Both teams seem disengaged. VC snapped their 32 game losing streak by beating Bellarmine in OT. Could get a couple more this season as the league is down overall. Let's see what the second half of league brings...

Riordan has not played like the team that beat Monte Vista in December. Pretty surprised to see coming from a Coach Buck senior-laden team. Too many unforced turnovers, bad shot selection, avoidable personal fouls and defensive lapses. Really, just atrocious team basketball at this moment...I'm all for the an uptempo offense, but simply heaving up a shot, no matter who you are doesn't cut it the rugged WCAL - unless your name is Steph Curry. This team doesn't have the talent or depth to have off nights and has to overachieve every night to earn a win. Yes. The Crusaders have had injuries throughout the season including Stansberry sitting out the entire 2nd half against SHC - but look at Mitty w/o Much (transferred) LaBruno and Kone (knee injury) and they took the Lancers to the wire the other night. Let's see what this team has in the second half of league play...

Last edited:
Reactions: Irish_Cheers
Serdaprs, Nada.

Hey ARHSStats, any update on Stansberry's condition?

WCAL BASKETBALL 2016: Mercury News Weekly Rankings for SF, SM & SC Counties.

1. St. Francis 15-2

2. HMB 18-1
3. Serra 14-3
4. M-A 15-2
5. Mitty 9-8
6. SI 12-5

7. BHS 13-4
8. Bell's 11-5
9. Gunn 11-1
10. Prospect 14-3
11. Oak Grove 12-5
12. Paly 12-5
13. SHC 7-10
14. Wilcox
15. SHP 9-7

"Bits N Pieces"
* St. Francis Lancer's are solid at #1 or at least until tonite when they travel to "The Jungle" to take on Serra. Previous there was much talk about the disparity of foul shots the Lancer's got on their home court compared to the Padres - somehow I believe that same disparity will not continue in "The Jungle". IF SF wins they solidify their #1 position in leading the WCAL towards the league crown. A Serra win and Serra is right there with the Lancer's. To all those who remember the Lancer's took down the Padre's twice last season only to lose a heart-wrencher to them in the closing seconds last season in CCS playoffs in the Open Division.
* Mitty losses Ben Kone for the remainder of the season, but still takes down the Lancer's to the last seconds in Tuesday nites game. Perhaps this was to prove the Monarch's are more than simply "Kone & the rest of the team". Regardless Mitty will have to battle to keep SI & Bell's from over taking them down the stretch.
* SHC drops to #13 [?] and Riordan drops out of the Merc Top 15 altogether [??]. Don't remember either team being ranked this low in years.
* Will HMB prove they're as good as their record when it comes time in the playoffs or once again make an early exit from tough competition?
* Will BHS ["BGame"] make a run in the playoffs or are they simply the "Great Pretender"? Currently BGames Vinny Ferrari is feasting on other PAL teams such as Woodside [32 points] and San Mateo [15 points]. Will this continue in playoffs??
* SI has surprised a lot of teams and its underclassmen have surpassed expectations. The loss to a Serra less-Killingsworth team was a "bump in the road", but they still could make a run.
* Bell's now have the distinction of the team that broke VC's WCAL Win-Curse, can the Bell's overcome such a stigma & bounce back? Can VC surprise anyone else [I say YES, at least one more victory for the Warrior's - they've tasted victory & like it!
* Who makes the better 2nd 1/2 run - Irish or Crusader's? Both have been "under-achiever's" to date with losing records unfortunately. What is needed and which team will turn it around??

* Bell's now have the distinction of the team that broke VC's WCAL Win-Curse, can the Bell's overcome such a stigma & bounce back? Can VC surprise anyone else [I say YES, at least one more victory for the Warrior's - they've tasted victory & like it!
* Who makes the better 2nd 1/2 run - Irish or Crusader's? Both have been "under-achiever's" to date with losing records unfortunately. What is needed and which team will turn it around??

It's hard to predict about Riordan since it depends on Stansberry's injury.

SHC has seen the same story all year. They need to run some plays on offense and play some defense. They shot about 48% against Riordan. They need to turn their close losses into wins.

WCAL BASKETBALL 2016: Serra vs St. Francis tonite -

Discovered by accident that the Serra vs SF JV Basketball game just happens to be on currently on BAOSN.com which means there is the possibility that the varsity game will follow if luck holds out.

I'd checked for all other WCAL games on NFHS sportsnetwork & The Cube, etc & NUTHIN" so to speak.

SO from another post your choices for dinner tonite may be Riordan vs VC ["leftover hot dogs & beans"] or possibly if all luck holds out Serra & ST. Francis ["steak & potatoes"]. Either way some HS sports entertainment & worth watching. Crusader's better be motivated as I'm pretty sure VC Warrior's will be...

SF 20-15 over Serra late 2nd quarter - Serra costing itself on mistakes rather than SF playing well... we'll see how this one goes -

Down to final minutes & SF comfortably ahead. Serra very sloppy at times and lots of turn-overs inside the basket. The 2 teams look very similar at times, but SF taller & more athletic. Serra I don't think made 1 -3 and if they did it was only 1 shot. Consistently missed shots and let SF drive to the basket. Watching the teams it is clear this is not a real strong year for WCAL if these are the 2 top teams [sorry SF & Serra]. Serra also missed lots of free throws & threw the ball away on a fairly consistent basis. Conclusion: Serra way too conservative on offense and slowing down the pace allowing SF to set up, too many times with an open shot & resorting to passing the ball simply to be passing it [no confidence by shooters]. SF the more confidant team and controlled the boards overall. Have to say both teams stellar on the defensive side, which does take away from the offense at this level. Overall a bit of a disappointing
game to watch after the pre-game hype.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT