ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL 2016 Basketball: SHC over SI in O/T & other scores

I see that SI's Will Emery has recently committed to Dartmouth. Apparently, he's got the brains to go along with length and ability.

Reactions: Scott2138
Appears to be Sophs other than the 7ft youngster on 20th Ave in San Mateo that are making significant contributions to their teams based on the first 2 games/non-league:
6-3 Nate Robinson SHC
6-0 Logan Johnson SF
6-0 James Chun Riordan
5-9 Donovan Wilson Mitty

So VC and the Irish are still win-less.......sux!
SF and Mitty still the favorites, but this will be no cakewalk as most of the scores have been close to date. Should get a better handle after round 1 of the schedule.

Jordan, I think you mean also rather than other sophomores. SI and Bellarmine also have some very good sophs who play a lot of minutes and contribute. It seems like a very good class.

Jordan, I think you mean also rather than other sophomores. SI and Bellarmine also have some very good sophs who play a lot of minutes and contribute. It seems like a very good class.
Thank Serdaprs! Future looks bright for the WCAL. SF rematch in the Jungle will be insane.

Will Emery is improving every game. Haven't found confirmation of Dartmouth info. I know Harvard recruiting must be completed by Dec 31. Not sure if that is for whole Ivy League or just Harvard.

I see that SI's Will Emery has recently committed to Dartmouth. Apparently, he's got the brains to go along with length and ability.

Serra's Killingsworth also going to the Ivy League and will play for Columbia.

Or signs that read "0-22". The Whinin Irish Football team WCAL league record over the past four seasons.

Whoa, Fool-Butt, Don't forget Rearend was the losing football program from 2008 on...Reap what you sow, keep talking. Let's hope its not just one and done this year...huh? Nice to know it took 4 years of donations to finally get a paint job for your school or better yet a boarding program to not "board" your school up...Hope to hear from you soon, Fool.

Last edited:
Reactions: Irish_Cheers
Proverbs 29:9
If a wise man has an argument with a fool,
the fool only rages and laughs. There is no quiet.

iamgearyblvd is right. fufu definitely has a screw loose. Now he's on this "SHCP Fightin Irish" kick and this "huge wave of talent" crap... Get a freakin' life and let the rest of us talk about our teams in peace.

Last edited:
I say SHC needs better defense and better team or point guard play. I was surprised Mello didn't play at all and they started Robinson at point guard which was obvious Coach was trying something new. I watched the Bellarmine game on line and it seemed more than once, no one was really rebounding. The freshman, Smith, got good minutes and he was lightning fast, he didn't do much to affect the W column but he didn't make mistakes either which was a plus. The team seem to be watching as spectators other than Sheppard and Hollins and just couldn't put it all together for a W. Bellarmine pulled in like 5 rebounds in a row in one series...If SHC can skin the hot cats this coming Tuesday at USF, they will be back in the hunt and just what the doctor ordered. Last years' Bruce Mahoney basketball was certainly epic;)

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
Looking forward to SHC/SI tonight as it will answer a lot of questions.. Is SI for real? Can SHC finally pull it all together?

Watching news following President Obama's SOTU speech & channel 4 shows USF with a reporter to cover the upcoming SHC vs SI Bruce Mahoney game which annually attracts a throng of 4,000-7,000 fans at USF. Checking around & no coverage on NFHS or anywhere else for that matter[?]. I went on both schools web sites and the athlectic coverage & updates are as in the past - almost an after-thought and no info to speak of [disappointing for such a traditional rivalry game].
Here 's a tip to both schools: advertsie your teams/players and get more recognition and attention for your schools. Heck I have a subscription to NFHS that just expired & I would have signed up to see tonite's game [ie: $$ for your school if anyone is paying attention]. A bit behind the internet times & missing the boat on putting their teams "out there" [even "Wikipedia" can tell you the history of the game & what it is all about].

Last edited:
Riordan - Serra tied at 23 at the half. Crusaders w/o 2 key players in Daniel Norman and Jake Rassam

Watching news following President Obama's SOTU speech & channel 4 shows USF with a reporter to cover the upcoming SHC vs SI Bruce Mahoney game which annually attracts a throng of 4,000-7,000 fans at USF. Checking around & no coverage on NFHS or anywhere else for that matter[?]. I went on both schools web sites and the athlectic coverage & updates are as in the past - almost an after-thought and no info to speak of [disappointing for such a traditional rivalry game].
Here 's a tip to both schools: advertsie your teams/players and get more recognition and attention for your schools. Heck I have a subscription to NFHS that just expired & I would have signed up to see tonite's game [ie: $$ for your school if anyone is paying attention]. A bit behind the internet times & missing the boat on putting their teams "out there" [even "Wikipedia" can tell you the history of the game & what it is all about].
It was supposed to be on The Cube. Lousy game anyway. Same old story with the defense, turnovers and refs (yes Fool-bo, they're excuses). It was 61-60 Catboxers. Refs wouldn't call a foul on the last play and disallowed a third made FT citing a "lane violation". What a crock.

I can't believe we have to lose that stupid trophy by two points!

BTW Carter played well.

Last edited:
A typical odd and wacky game in the Jungle tonight. Serra held a slim lead throughout. Standout Padre for me was Lee Jones who was absolute money with his Steph Curry-like running floaters. He must have made 5 of them! Riordan played without key rotation players Rassam and Norman. Stansberry had a good night, but was hampered with being the one-man show with two players out and forward Jason Smith and soph James Chun saddled with foul trouble for most of the game. Smith eventually fouled out. Chun was called for a phantom technical foul that was not seen by any of the refs. Chun and a Padre were tied up and the Padre player landed with a thud. After an official's timeout - a technical was charged on Chun. WTF?!? Turning point of the game as it put the Padres up by 10 and it was too little to late for the Crusaders. Rematch at the Forum should be a good one. WCAL will be a tight race with SF, Mitty, SI, Serra, Bellarmine and RIordan fighting it out.

Reactions: amychun
Watched game SI/SHC game on SF Cable 104. Although advertised at 7:30, game (hence, telecast) did not start til 8. Very entertaining game.

A typical odd and wacky game in the Jungle tonight. Serra held a slim lead throughout. Standout Padre for me was Lee Jones who was absolute money with his Steph Curry-like running floaters. He must have made 5 of them! Riordan played without key rotation players Rassam and Norman. Stansberry had a good night, but was hampered with being the one-man show with two players out and forward Jason Smith and soph James Chun saddled with foul trouble for most of the game. Smith eventually fouled out. Chun was called for a phantom technical foul that was not seen by any of the refs. Chun and a Padre were tied up and the Padre player landed with a thud. After an official's timeout - a technical was charged on Chun. WTF?!? Turning point of the game as it put the Padres up by 10 and it was too little to late for the Crusaders. Rematch at the Forum should be a good one. WCAL will be a tight race with SF, Mitty, SI, Serra, Bellarmine and RIordan fighting it out.

I think 21 got the T because he stood over him and said something after the play was over. Thats how I saw it. Good tight game. Serra was cold from 3 point range but scored a lot in the paint..

Watched game SI/SHC game on SF Cable 104. Although advertised at 7:30, game (hence, telecast) did not start til 8. Very entertaining game.

Yes it was, you knew it was going to come down to the wire. High level basketball for sure being executed by both teams...SHC was competitive and didn't have anything to be ashamed about....good win by SI. Hollins and overall team played above average, but you can not expect perfection, what I admired is there was no lack of hustle by SHC... this game was definitely like a football game, lots of contact. I do not know what is going on with Dunbar but he was sitting behind the team bench in the stands...even without him at point guard, the back-ups had some positives so I hope he see's he has to work harder to be compared to his brother or others..I'm not sure if Jr. Sean Ramos should have been called for all those fouls against SI point guard, Trammell. Sophs Redmond and Trammel look good and showed a lot of poise for their age, Trammell was ice on the free throw line. Key player for SI was the senior Emery though, he was a monster tonight. Coach Marceletti might get coach of the year if he keeps this up for turning this team around. It always is fun to watch, there are many players on both teams that will get to play each other plenty again...I loved the competitive spirit tonight, not he score, Bruce and Mahoney should be proud.

Last edited:
Tremendous Bruce Mahoney game tonight. Alfred Hollins's 30 point performance was best game I've seen by any high school player in the past couple years. Unfortunately, his lane violation on his 3rd free throw attempt was a huge mistake.

Will Emery is improving every day and SI looks nothing like the team that played so poorly in Sand Dune just a couple weeks ago. Trammell was very tough down the stretch with excellent FT shooting.

Reactions: WCALFan94105
Irish Cheers, I had a perfect view of Alfred Hollins lane violation and the last play of the game. Hollins thought his shot was off and jumped in the lane WAY early. Of course, he was wrong. The shot was perfect. While there was contact on the final play, it was initiated by Hollins and a no call was correct.

Irish Cheers, I had a perfect view of Alfred Hollins lane violation and the last play of the game. Hollins thought his shot was off and jumped in the lane WAY early. Of course, he was wrong. The shot was perfect. While there was contact on the final play, it was initiated by Hollins and a no call was correct.

After watching for decades I would just bet that if it were the other way around there would not have been a violation called and there would be some foul shots at the end.

After watching for decades I would just bet that if it were the other way around there would not have been a violation called and there would be some foul shots at the end.

I saw a replay of the lane violation from Radnich on channel 4 last night, and it was pretty clear he went in early as he thought he may have missed it. Maybe sometimes that isn't called, but it was the correct call. Just horrible timing.

Reactions: WCALFan94105
Gary Radnich just stated that Darrell Barbour said it was a clear violation and ref made right call. Barbour is a great coach and a class act.

I saw a replay of the lane violation from Radnich on channel 4 last night, and it was pretty clear he went in early as he thought he may have missed it. Maybe sometimes that isn't called, but it was the correct call. Just horrible timing.

Did the ball leave his hands before he stepped in? I've seen plenty of lane violations never called.

Definately the right call. It was very obvious. A tough good strong call by the official. I can see some passing on that, but he was right and sold it. I also like the no call at the end. As for Ramos, there are points of emphaisis about hand checking this year. I just dont understand how they could challenge so much away from rim. SI was gift-wrapped game on the free-throw line.

Saying that, the Irish did a very good job getting back in the game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT