ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL 2017: NORCAL PLAYOFFS

Week 4

Game of the Night 1/28/17

Bellarmine (7-0) @ Mitty (4-3) -
The Bells came up huge on Wednesday night, beating SI by 1. It was a great match-up between the two best teams in the league, and one that leaves the Bells sitting in first place halfway through the season at 7-0. With all that said, I have a feeling Mitty takes this game at home giving the Bells their first loss in league.

Other Games:

Serra (3-4) @ SHC (0-7) - The Irish got demolished at home against the Lancers last game. Extremely disappointed in how the coaching staff has prepared the team this season. They seem to have no coherent game plan and lack execution in every aspect. I fear I was way wrong on MacKay. I thought he was better than this. Serra will cruise to a victory.

St. Ignatius (6-1) @ Riordan (1-6) - The Wildcats must be chomping at the bit to get a win after that oh so close loss at Bellarmine. Look for another smackdown of cross town rival Riordan. Mitty manhandled the Crusaders on Wednesday.

Valley Christian (2-5) @ St. Francis (5-2) - Major kudos to coach Motil as he has his Lancer team right there in the hunt. Everyone said they would be a one man show this season due to losing about 95% of their offense to graduation. Well that hasn't been the case, even though Logan Johnson has been the force we expected. He's done a great job developing his players and everyone seems to thrive in their role. I think SF overwhelms VC with their press for an easy home win.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5MatchUp
I recall SHC going 1 or 2 wins in league once in mid 90s and upset St. Francis in first round of WCAL playoffs. But that was in an era before SHC started "encouraging" basketball players to come to SHC. To see the product today is definately not entertaining to the casual fan, let alone a disconnect with the student-body, considering now in an era they encourage basketball players to come to the school. They did have a good run. Just coming full circle. I did say we shouId give this coach and his staff benefit of doubt. Would be a little easier to except if they ran a decent offensive scheme other than trying to out athletic their opponent. Just does not work without the horses.

Even with the horses it's difficult against the coaching in the WCAL. The structure of playing a good brand of basketball is not there right now for SHC. No cutting, screening, ball reversals and enough good actions to break down a defense. You can only count on so many jumpers off isolation before that trick gets old and other teams clamp down on you. However some of those mistakes vs the St Francis press the other night were just flat out awful by the players. That can't be all on the staff, players have to be held accountable. You would think they would at least know how to break that style of press since their own coaching staff uses that as one of their primary defenses.

Call me crazy but I think Riordan will keep it close vs SI at home. I see a single digit game going into the last 4 minutes and SI making Riordan pay for some gambles down the stretch and winning by about 12

St Francis takes care of business vs Valley. Hope the valley Christian coach is doing better.

Bells hand Mitty another close loss.

Week 4

Game of the Night 1/28/17

Bellarmine (7-0) @ Mitty (4-3) -
The Bells came up huge on Wednesday night, beating SI by 1. It was a great match-up between the two best teams in the league, and one that leaves the Bells sitting in first place halfway through the season at 7-0. With all that said, I have a feeling Mitty takes this game at home. Giving the Bells their first loss in league.

Other Games:

Serra (3-4) @ SHC (0-7) - The Irish got demolished at home against the Lancers last game. Extremely disappointed in how the coaching staff has prepared the team this season. They seem to have no coherent game plan and lack execution in every aspect. I fear I was way wrong on MacKay. I thought he was better than this. Serra will cruise to a victory.

St. Ignatius (6-1) @ Riordan (1-6) - The Wildcats must be chomping at the bit to get a win after that oh so close loss at Bellarmine. Look for another smackdown of cross town rival Riordan. Mitty manhandled the Crusaders on Wednesday.

Valley Christian (2-5) @ St. Francis (5-2) - Major kudos to coach Motil as he has his Lancer team right there in the hunt. Everyone said they would be a one man show this season due to losing about 95% of their offense to graduation. Well that hasn't been the case, even though Logan Johnson has been the force we expected. He's done a great job developing his players and everyone seems to thrive in their role. I think SF overwhelms VC with their press for an easy home win.
At least going to Riordan/SI game, you're guaranteed a nice meal.

Even with the horses it's difficult against the coaching in the WCAL. The structure of playing a good brand of basketball is not there right now for SHC. No cutting, screening, ball reversals and enough good actions to break down a defense. You can only count on so many jumpers off isolation before that trick gets old and other teams clamp down on you. However some of those mistakes vs the St Francis press the other night were just flat out awful by the players. That can't be all on the staff, players have to be held accountable. You would think they would at least know how to break that style of press since their own coaching staff uses that as one of their primary defenses.

Call me crazy but I think Riordan will keep it close vs SI at home. I see a single digit game going into the last 4 minutes and SI making Riordan pay for some gambles down the stretch and winning by about 12

St Francis takes care of business vs Valley. Hope the valley Christian coach is doing better.

I'll say it appears Hollins made the right move by not sticking around because if he had to play through this mess, no telling what would've happened.

Good brand is not to be confused with just having smart basketball players that make smart basketball plays. You look at the girls team and they have an abundance of talent and they make smart plays. You have some talent on the boys and they just do things that are like "this is a varsity team? looks like JV to me". I think Monroe would be better served to be on JV this year to get his bearings down. Instead he was saddled with expectations. Honestly the only freshman to make varsity in recent memory that performed up to his hype was Albert Johnson Jr. ... oh those were the days....

I'll say it appears Hollins made the right move by not sticking around because if he had to play through this mess, no telling what would've happened.

Good brand is not to be confused with just having smart basketball players that make smart basketball plays. You look at the girls team and they have an abundance of talent and they make smart plays. You have some talent on the boys and they just do things that are like "this is a varsity team? looks like JV to me". I think Monroe would be better served to be on JV this year to get his bearings down. Instead he was saddled with expectations. Honestly the only freshman to make varsity in recent memory that performed up to his hype was Albert Johnson Jr. ... oh those were the days....
So true (Albert Johnson/your analysis). SHC was behind the 8-ball when competing in basketball. The first big transfer to help out was LRyan Russell. This catapulted SHC to the forefront. Bring in Albert Johnson and the program took off. Then all of sudden SHC gets its dream class with Brown, Greene and a few more (moving right up to varsity) and the program was here to compete. This however sent a dangerous precedent that continued to this day; for every Brown, Green and Fox, came some questionable errors. Although very successful, the disconnect between basketball and the student-body was planted. Take also into consideration the specialization of sports, multi-sport and interest amongst students in general got the program where it is today. SHC was a product of their success. Maybe a new coach was needed, and it looks like its going to take some time. Again, I hope he is capable of building a program, not just a varsity team. He has no ties to SHC, so that may be difficult. Is he a teacher at the school, that helps too. Is coach using a spot as a "WCAL coach" as a stepping stone or is he invested in the school/program. I would hope the SHC administration thought about it that way. Otherwise, they are going to look for the AAU type quick fix solution.

So true (Albert Johnson/your analysis). SHC was behind the 8-ball when competing in basketball. The first big transfer to help out was LRyan Russell. This catapulted SHC to the forefront. Bring in Albert Johnson and the program took off. Then all of sudden SHC gets its dream class with Brown, Greene and a few more (moving right up to varsity) and the program was here to compete. This however sent a dangerous precedent that continued to this day; for every Brown, Green and Fox, came some questionable errors. Although very successful, the disconnect between basketball and the student-body was planted. Take also into consideration the specialization of sports, multi-sport and interest amongst students in general got the program where it is today. SHC was a product of their success. Maybe a new coach was needed, and it looks like its going to take some time. Again, I hope he is capable of building a program, not just a varsity team. He has no ties to SHC, so that may be difficult. Is he a teacher at the school, that helps too. Is coach using a spot as a "WCAL coach" as a stepping stone or is he invested in the school/program. I would hope the SHC administration thought about it that way. Otherwise, they are going to look for the AAU type quick fix solution.

My hunch is MacKay and SH will end this experiment after this year. I'm sure he will land somewhere. Whats happened on the court this year is pretty bad. If theres one boys team that SH should be good/decent at, its basketball. And by past standards, this so far was not a good match. I think they'll beg LyRyan to be the boys coach and eventual hall of famer and frosh girls coach Ki-Ki Moore will be the next girl's coach. LyRyan is our very own/not from the outside, and hes not going to put up with any parents' bs. Just my hunch.

Why did SHC let go of Coach B?

Hollins couldn't even help last year, what was SHC record with a healthy Hollins, Sheppard and Hillman at this point last season? Now subtract an injured Nate Robinson and Dunbar injured most of the season and this is what you get. A freshman at the point and a sophomore at the 3 spot a junior at the 4 and none with any varsity experience fill in the rest, a new coach and left over issues. You can't expect a program filled with so many issues on and off the court to correct itself in 6 months, when was the new coach hired? All these SHC posters act like they have been relevant the last 4 years? When was the last good mens basketball team? Lets give the new coach more than 6 months. I agree its been ugly, but to act surprised at the results when they haven't done anything in the last few years, come on man. They couldn't do anything with a 4 star Hollins, SHC hasn't been relevant in years. Id bet Laryan had an opportunity to take over the program and was offered the job, he probably said no way I wouldn't touch that job with a 10' pool. It will take 2 years to turn this program and change the culture.

In my opinion, a team that wins may 1-2 games in league and finishes under .500 shouldn't even qualify for sectionals. This is coming from era when there was only one division and only league champs went on. Nowadays, at the very least .500 in league or overall.

Riordan and SHC won't have any issues with CCS D3 its weak....1 or 2 win WCAL league team will win CCS D3 and it will be either Riordan or SHC. SI will go Open CCS

Why did SHC let go of Coach B?

I never did find out specifically.

With so many people transferring out, I'm not surprised at the lack of chemistry. They didn't just lose Hollins and Hillman, but Nifai Tonga too. Robinson is still out and Dunbar just came back. Basically, it's a team of inexperienced bench players, although Ramzi Carter, Jr. has been playing better. I think he should work on that hook shot of his inside. It seems to drop for him. Throw-in a new coach and this is what you get.

A team that struggles to score 50 points a game and runs no real offensive plays is very hard to watch. I would make my way to a couple home games a year just to check out the team but SH would have to pay me come watch this team. I'd rather go see SI play because who doesn't like to watch competent and competitive basketball? Having said that SI was in this same place during Marcaletti's first year. In fact, I think they were worse offensively than this year's SH team. I know some games they couldn't even break 40 points.

Totally agree...I said this on another post. Mackay I'm sure can get some people to SHC in a few years...He has his east bay and probably some south bay connections coaching there for so long.

Last edited:

Hollins looked nice Freshman year...I think if Hollins was around they would definitely score above 50 every game but I don't see them playing team ball.

With so many people transferring out, I'm not surprised at the lack of chemistry. They didn't just lose Hollins and Hillman, but Nifai Tonga too. Robinson is still out and Dunbar just came back. Basically, it's a team of inexperienced bench players, although Ramzi Carter, Jr. has been playing better. I think he should work on that hook shot of his inside. It seems to drop for him. Throw-in a new coach and this is what you get.

IC, SHC did lose Nifai Tonga to Salt Lake City, but to be fair he was never on the varsity. But I will admit he did look like he plays Defense when he was a freshman on JVs.

I wonder if it was the lack of chemistry and getting these studs to play together. Throw in the discipline problems like the theft and people being suspended junior year and it starts to reflect on the court and the stats. That team made goofier videos than played good team ball..And note to SHC players, make sure you have a winning season before making any video.

I wonder if it was the lack of chemistry and getting these studs to play together. Throw in the discipline problems like the theft and people being suspended junior year and it starts to reflect on the court and the stats. That team made goofier videos than played good team ball..And note to SHC players, make sure you have a winning season before making any video.
I'm all for TEAM videos, it shows comraderie and having fun. That video only had a few players in it basically saying look at me.

Last edited:
Riordan and SHC won't have any issues with CCS D3 its weak....1 or 2 win WCAL league team will win CCS D3 and it will be either Riordan or SHC. SI will go Open CCS
I would say VC would be the heavy favorite in CCS D3. Will be critical how the Irish and Crusaders finish league as it will impact seedings. CCS runner up also qualifies for NorCals.

Tomorrow night's matchup between SI and Riordan will be streamed live from the Crusader Forum. Tipoff @ 6:30pm

Hollins couldn't even help last year, what was SHC record with a healthy Hollins, Sheppard and Hillman at this point last season? Now subtract an injured Nate Robinson and Dunbar injured most of the season and this is what you get. A freshman at the point and a sophomore at the 3 spot a junior at the 4 and none with any varsity experience fill in the rest, a new coach and left over issues. You can't expect a program filled with so many issues on and off the court to correct itself in 6 months, when was the new coach hired? All these SHC posters act like they have been relevant the last 4 years? When was the last good mens basketball team? Lets give the new coach more than 6 months. I agree its been ugly, but to act surprised at the results when they haven't done anything in the last few years, come on man. They couldn't do anything with a 4 star Hollins, SHC hasn't been relevant in years. Id bet Laryan had an opportunity to take over the program and was offered the job, he probably said no way I wouldn't touch that job with a 10' pool. It will take 2 years to turn this program and change the culture.

2012-13 SHC state runner up in d3 lost in OT
2013-14 SHC Lost in 2nd round of Norcals to Drake
2014-15 SHC d3 CCS champions and Lost in 2nd round of Norcals to Campolindo(who I think won or came in second in state in d3 that year)
2015-16 SHC D3 runner up to Riordan lost in 2nd round of Norcals
So it's not like they have been trash

2016-17 SHC so far 7-3 preseason which will qualify them for CCS and so far 0-7 in league
Yes you're right
No Hollins
Hillman excused from the school
Robinson has been hurt for the last 2 games
Youth and inexperience and only 6 months to work with and implement your culture?
But what's the culture or style? Are you a pressing team are you a good halfcourt defensive team? Are you a quick tempo team? Do u run sets to at least try and get good shots?

What is their identity? 6 months is a short time but that's the nature of this league and nowadays everybody wants to see what have you done for me lately? It's what you sign up for if you take a job in the WCAL. I'll say this, I think there have been no issues with parents it seems like so that's a positive but I could be wrong. Hopefully they will get it turned around sooner than later.

Reactions: Scott2138
I would say VC would be the heavy favorite in CCS D3. Will be critical how the Irish and Crusaders finish league as it will impact seedings. CCS runner up also qualifies for NorCals.
According to the CCS CBEDs Valley Christian is Division 2 this year.

I'm all for TEAM videos, it shows comraderie and having fun. That video only had a few players in it basically saying look at me.

Yes Team videos is my point, those few players that say "Look at me" are part of the reason they are not a team.

I like Mitty to pull an upset of the Bells tonight. 62-59
Riordan keeps it close but Snyder and Roberts prove to be too much to handle down low for the Crusaders.
65-58
SHC looks lifeless against the rest of the WCAL. Serra by 15 65-50
St Francis keeps rolling but valley makes it respectable 67-55
Does anyone know if Coach DeLucca(sp?) is back coaching?

I like Mitty to pull an upset of the Bells tonight. 62-59
Riordan keeps it close but Snyder and Roberts prove to be too much to handle down low for the Crusaders.
65-58
SHC looks lifeless against the rest of the WCAL. Serra by 15 65-50
St Francis keeps rolling but valley makes it respectable 67-55
Does anyone know if Coach DeLucca(sp?) is back coaching?

Halftime:

Bells 31
Mitty 18

SHC 28
Serra 25

SI 19
Riordan 19

NOW SI misses layups, jumpers and 3-pointers... Where was that at USF?

Good to hear that Chuck is doing better.

I assume he was being facetious..........

Riordan made SI work for it tonight. Entertaining game over at the Forum. Trammel wasn't feeling it tonight - very poor game for him. Roberts struggled throughout as well. Beckman and Redmond were SI's two best players. Sandoval and Clark had good games tonight. Redmond really made James Chun work his a$$ off on defense and I think it affected his offensive game.

Reactions: jordan24
I assume he was being facetious..........

Riordan made SI work for it tonight. Entertaining game over at the Forum. Trammel wasn't feeling it tonight - very poor game for him. Roberts struggled throughout as well. Beckman and Redmond were SI's two best players. Sandoval and Clark had good games tonight. Redmond really made James Chun work his a$$ off on defense and I think it affected his offensive game.
SI's trio of Trammel, Redmond and Beckman are very good HS players who along with their teammates play very well as a unit. The 'Cats motion off-screen dribble drive offense is quite effective as well as their physical play and it really showed in the first Riordan-SI matchup earlier this month.
With that said, Coach Buckner's defensive adjustments and Riordan's stepped up defensive intensity and physicality had a lot to do with Roberts and Trammel not having their way on the court compared to the first time. Yes. James Chun had to really work on offense and it showed as his jumper was short on most occasions - all credit to Redmund's D. It didn't help that the overall Crusader perimeter game was abysmal, except for Clark's late game 3 ptrs.
Overall, I came away pleased with the overall gameplay of the young Crusaders vs. the young and varsity-experienced 'Cats as the game was close throughout until the final minutes. There is definite improvement in the teamplay and role players (Ie. big men D. Johnson and C. Carrigan) getting more game experience and gaining confidence. Riordan needs to mix it up in their shot selection if their perimeter game is not working for them and do more dribble drive to the hole a la the 'Cats. A very good crowd with lots of alumni and parents with their young kids in attendance in the storied baskeball rivalry btwn these 2 schools last night at the Forum. Good to see the band back in action too.

As mentioned, a very good crowd of alumni and their children, supplemented by the ever popular Riordan band. But was not apparent was actual students and more apparent student sections (besides band). Yes, whatever students were there were freshman and jv basketball players, but no students to form cheering sections. Lot's of pockets, nothing together. Was noteworthy that Riordan students and basketball team did do their alma mater after game (even after a loss). Always nice. I've said this before, Riordan concessions tops!

As mentioned, a very good crowd of alumni and their children, supplemented by the ever popular Riordan band. But was not apparent was actual students and more apparent student sections (besides band). Yes, whatever students were there were freshman and jv basketball players, but no students to form cheering sections. Lot's of pockets, nothing together. Was noteworthy that Riordan students and basketball team did do their alma mater after game (even after a loss). Always nice. I've said this before, Riordan concessions tops!
Students appeared, once again, in pockets. Gone are the days of the huge cheering sections with everyone standing the entire game. Also, games vs the City rivals were ALWAYS held at Kezar and sometimes USF.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
Riordan's alma mater is always sung with or w/o the band win or lose.

Week 5

Game of the Night 2/1/17

St. Francis (6-2) @ St. Ignatius (7-1) -
The Wildcats beat the Lancers in an exciting game the last time these two met. I'm sure St. Francis would like some revenge and to move into a tie for second with the Wildcats. I think SI holds on and stays a game behind the Bells in the standings.

Other Games:

Mitty (4-4) @ Serra (3-5) - Serra is coming off a shocking loss to SHC and Mitty couldn't establish themselves as a top notch team in the league, dropping another game to Bellarmine at home. They may be the biggest disappointment in the league so far. Will be a close game that Mitty should win.

Riordan (1-7) @ Valley Christian (2-6) - The Crusaders fought for 3 quarters against the Wildcats but couldn't seem to get stops in the 4th. This is definitely a winnable game for Riordan but I think Valley Christian bounces back from an 0-2 week and beats Riordan for the second time, this time at home.

SHC (1-7) @ Bellarmine (8-0) - SHC is coming off their first league win beating Serra in OT at home. It must've been a great feeling for the coaches and players to finally get a win. The prize for them is heading down to Bellarmine to face the undefeated Bells. It should be a convincing win for the Bells.

You must be a parent of a kid that Monroe is taking minutes from. I happen to know the kid in which you speak of. Sacred Heart was fortunate to get him to come there. Ask the other WCAL coaches if they wanted Monroe. Yes he is Freshman but from what I hear he has been out the last two games with a Concussion. I am sure SHC had tryouts so he earned his spot.Also I guess you haven't been to the games. I think the Freshmen went All Tournament in the Drake Tournament. I think that same Freshman lead the team to most of their victories people are speaking of in pre season. I think that Freshman hit a game winner this season as well.
That's the problem with SHC, way too many haters . Hate on the coach, hate on the players. You can't miss a player that never suited up this season! The kids battled and beat Serra the other night! It takes time to Gel. SHC problems have been in the second half. Every game has been close until then.
Emmett Neal is leading the team while Robinson is out but those kids are coming together. That Sophomore is playing well. Age and grade do matter. Either you can play or not.
Back up what you say and know your facts.
Team scoring leaders
Neal
Robinson
Monroe

Team Assist leaders
Dunbar
Monroe

Team steals
Oglesby
Monroe

Rebounds
Carter
Oglesby

Team three point leaders
Gary
Robinson
Neal
Monroe

Seems like that Freshman is pretty much in every category for SHC.

If youre trying to point out Bryce Monroe's heart by playing with a concussion, no one will question the kid's heart. However, ethically why is he playing/practicing with a concussion???? Theres always another game to play. The kid's health is by far the most important thing.

Gritty, gutty win for the SH vs Serra. Games like that really do help them in future games. Though wins are hard to come by you can see there are things that certain players are very good at and bring every game. Gary Hudson is pretty mean on that corner 3. Emmett Neal range is nice and plays both ends of the court. Olgesby is very tough inside and has a nose for the ball. There are definitely bright spots on this team that you can hang your hat on if you dont pay attention to the wins and losses.

The thing about your stats/critique though, when you are counting on freshmen or even sophomores to win you games, youre probably not very good. Do you remember when SH beat BOD in the NorCal finals when we had Fox/Johns/Pratt/Petroni? You know who was on BOD's bench? A 9th grade Ivan Rabb. He did not sniff the floor.

You must be a parent of a kid that Monroe is taking minutes from. I happen to know the kid in which you speak of. Sacred Heart was fortunate to get him to come there. Ask the other WCAL coaches if they wanted Monroe. Yes he is Freshman but from what I hear he has been out the last two games with a Concussion. I am sure SHC had tryouts so he earned his spot.Also I guess you haven't been to the games. I think the Freshmen went All Tournament in the Drake Tournament. I think that same Freshman lead the team to most of their victories people are speaking of in pre season. I think that Freshman hit a game winner this season as well.
That's the problem with SHC, way too many haters . Hate on the coach, hate on the players. You can't miss a player that never suited up this season! The kids battled and beat Serra the other night! It takes time to Gel. SHC problems have been in the second half. Every game has been close until then.
Emmett Neal is leading the team while Robinson is out but those kids are coming together. That Sophomore is playing well. Age and grade do matter. Either you can play or not.
Back up what you say and know your facts.
Team scoring leaders
Neal
Robinson
Monroe

Team Assist leaders
Dunbar
Monroe

Team steals
Oglesby
Monroe

Rebounds
Carter
Oglesby

Team three point leaders
Gary
Robinson
Neal
Monroe

Seems like that Freshman is pretty much in every category for SHC.

I agree with some of your assessments and opinions but basketball is a team sport. You missed points that you brought up but I will go back to not posting on this forum. I am a Sacred Heart supporter that's it and that's all. I know some of the kids and know what they can do. Sacred Heart, Moreau Catholic, Berkeley, Dublin High , St. Patrick St. Vincent , Salesian and Riordan all landed the one of the top freshmen in the bay area. Just saying...

I agree with some of your assessments and opinions but basketball is a team sport. You missed points that you brought up but I will go back to not posting on this forum. I am a Sacred Heart supporter that's it and that's all. I know some of the kids and know what they can do. Sacred Heart, Moreau Catholic, Berkeley, Dublin High , St. Patrick St. Vincent , Salesian and Riordan all landed the one of the top freshmen in the bay area. Just saying...

Yes, Monroe is quite the stud in football too...the young kid really has wheels and he was running circles around some of the WCAL teams and then some. He and a few others really accounted for most of the scoring on the frosh football team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Irishman32
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT