ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL 2017: NORCAL PLAYOFFS

Week 6

Game of the Night 2/11/17

Serra (5-6) @ Bellarmine (11-0) -
Angelo Athens broke the Serra Padres hearts with a 3 at the buzzer the first time these two teams met in San Mateo. Now the Padres are coming off their biggest win of the season against the Lancers while Bellarmine handled Riordan with very little resistance. I'm going with the Padres in this one. I think they spoil Bellarmine's unblemished record.

Other Games:

SHC (2-9) @ Valley Christian (4-7) - What a win for the surging Irish against Mitty on Wednesday night. Very impressive. I think they keep the good play rolling and get the win at VC. Nice to see a "young" team clearly get better in the second half of league.

Mitty (6-5) @ SI (10-1) - The Monarchs have frustrated me to no end this season. I just can't fathom how they are 6-5. Very disappointing season, as I'm sure everyone on Mitty Way would agree. I think the Wildcats keep their home undefeated streak going.

Riordan (1-10) @
St. Francis (6-5)
- Look for the Lancers to take out their frustrations on the visiting Crusaders. Riordan gave up 44 at the half to the Bells last game and is very lucky SHC didn't have Dunbar or Robinson when they got their lone win in league. A 1-13 record looks to be a certainty at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crosstown Rival
Heck of a performance by Mitty tonight in the second half. SI shooting went cold and Mitty played well in the post, plus some decent contributions from Vaughn and the other guards. SI's center, Roberts, got hurt during warmups and didn't play. His backup, Snyder, played well, but the lack of depth at the position really hurt against Mitty. Terrible time for him to get hurt.

Shame the Jungle Game won't have title implications anymore. Still going to be a great atmosphere, though.

As for Mitty, in the second half, they looked like the team they were supposed to be all year. I'd say a game like this might be a sign that they're finding their groove, but every time they give that impression, they lay an egg the next game. On Wednesday they host a St. Francis team that they should've beaten the first time around. They finish with Riordan Saturday. If they win Wednesday, they should finish on a three-game winning streak and claim third place. They'd also likely be able to avoid Bellarmine in the Open Division until the finals, which would be huge since Bellarmine has posed so many matchup problems for them.

But can they get there? They're a puzzling team.

Heck of a performance by Mitty tonight in the second half. SI shooting went cold and Mitty played well in the post, plus some decent contributions from Vaughn and the other guards. SI's center, Roberts, got hurt during warmups and didn't play. His backup, Snyder, played well, but the lack of depth at the position really hurt against Mitty. Terrible time for him to get hurt.

Shame the Jungle Game won't have title implications anymore. Still going to be a great atmosphere, though.

As for Mitty, in the second half, they looked like the team they were supposed to be all year. I'd say a game like this might be a sign that they're finding their groove, but every time they give that impression, they lay an egg the next game. On Wednesday they host a St. Francis team that they should've beaten the first time around. They finish with Riordan Saturday. If they win Wednesday, they should finish on a three-game winning streak and claim third place. They'd also likely be able to avoid Bellarmine in the Open Division until the finals, which would be huge since Bellarmine has posed so many matchup problems for them.

But can they get there? They're a puzzling team.

Would it be fair to state that Mitty is missing that one special player, a kid who can take over a game for a couple of minutes and be the guy with the game on the line and the ball in his hands with 9 seconds on the shot clock and the floor spread for him to operate one-on-one?

Week 7 - The final week of league play.

Game of the Night 2/15/17

St. Francis (7-5) @ Mitty (7-5) -
Mitty is coming off an outstanding road win at St. Ignatius. The big man Roberts did not play for SI so Mitty did catch a break. Nevertheless they needed to get some confidence back and that they did. This team has been maddening and inconsistent. The Lancers have lost 3 out of their last 4 by 3 points or less. Should be a great game. I'll hesitantly pick the Monarchs at home.

Other Games:

Valley Christian (4-8) @ Bellarmine (12-0) - Bellarmine continues to roll. With Mitty beating SI and Bellarmine handling Serra on Saturday night, the Bells have clinched at least a share of the title for the first time in 16 years. Look for them to handle business on Wednesday against the Warriors who picked up a home win against SHC last game.

SI (10-2) @ Serra (5-7) - The Jungle game should be a lively affair as always but it lost a little bit of its luster due to the SI loss. If Roberts cannot play again look for Wilson to have a big game and give Serra the edge.

Riordan (1-11) @ SHC (2-10)
- SHC took all the momentum they had built in the past two weeks and left it in south San Jose. They trailed most of the game but came back to tie it in the 4th quarter before falling to VC. I think they bounce back and handle the reeling Crusaders another loss and keep them at the bottom of the standings.

Reactions: colhenrylives
Great win the Irish and a long long time to wait for a win vs Mitty. I've gone to many in this matchup over the years and SH just could not get over that hump. Emmett Neal is a rising star. The kid does everything. Drawing charges is absolutely immeasurable. I think he averages at least 3 a game. He's as good as a defender as Herman Pratt but with better offensive skills. Love this kid.

Momentum is definitely shifting upwards for SH despite losses to the two top teams in league. It appears MacKay has ironed out the wrinkles of this team. Namely the team is committing less turnovers, establishing Neal as their primary go to scorer, defensively Carter is not out of position or overplaying screens plus he is rebounding a lot more. Nice job Coach MacKay.

Can anyone give any insight on the SHC Frosh A and B teams? The A's look like they have ok size, are they just missing players or have injured ones or coaching? Not winning one game in the wcal in basketball is rare and inexcusable especially if you look at the scores.

Can anyone give any insight on the SHC Frosh A and B teams? The A's look like they have ok size, are they just missing players or have injured ones or coaching? Not winning one game in the wcal in basketball is rare and inexcusable especially if you look at the scores.

I've only seen them a few times. They hustle all right but there's not a lot of talent. The best freshman is on the varsity but they definitely need better players. JV's are nothing to brag about either. Sinkovitz has some size and rebounding skills but outside of occasionally good guard play, that's it.

Last edited:
Irish beat Riordan 70-50. Carter had a great game with at least 20 points and a lot of rebounds. Even his two missed dunks looked good. Sacred Heart Cathedral's offense came alive in the second half by outscoring Riordan 41-16. They played better defense on Chun who had at least 12 points in the first half.

Reactions: 5MatchUp
Irish beat Riordan 70-50. Carter had a great game with at least 20 points and a lot of rebounds. Even his two missed dunks looked good. Sacred Heart Cathedral's offense came alive in the second half by outscoring Riordan 41-16. They played better defense on Chun who had at least 12 points in the first half.

In your opinion is SHC the favorite now to win A "watered down" CCS D3? Great night for the seniors to get a W.

The video on SHCtv is horrible...Not to mention it only shows the first half missing entirely the 41-16 dismantling of Riordan in the second half.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
Tonight's Jungle Game was absolutely incredible. McDonald's 3 at the buzzer was only the ending of an absolutely phenomenal game. Neither team played a perfect game, but they matched each other pound-for-pound. The lead was never bigger than six. Wilson had just two points at halftime but finished with 16. McDonald had 15. Beckman and Redmond each had 17 for SI. Trammell didn't shoot well and only had four, but he distributed the ball well and played great defense.

Next year's Jungle Game might be for the title. SI and Serra will both have so much returning talent.

Would it be fair to state that Mitty is missing that one special player, a kid who can take over a game for a couple of minutes and be the guy with the game on the line and the ball in his hands with 9 seconds on the shot clock and the floor spread for him to operate one-on-one?

Grigsby is that guy.

Game of the Night 2/18/17

Bellarmine (13-0) @ SI (10-3) - The Bells drubbing of VC by 30 points gave them the league championship for the first time in 16 years. Will the Bells pull off the undefeated league season? How do the Cats rebound from that gut punch loss to Serra in the Jungle Game? The big man Roberts did not play again for the Cats in last game. If he cannot go look for Stubblefield to be the difference in the game and give the Bells the edge and 14-0.

Other Games:

Riordan (1-12) @ Mitty (8-5) - An easy win over the Crusaders would put them solidly in 3rd place this season. I expected more from them but they are heading in the right direction going into the playoffs. Riordan on the other hand got completely demolished by rival SHC in the second half Wednesday night. I watch the game on the Cube and it was the James Chun show early on and Riordan led at the half by 5. The feed went out at halftime but I figured SHC would pull it off in a close game. I found out they won by 20 and Riordan gave up 41 in the second half! Yikes! This team does not defend at all.

Serra (6-7) @ Valley Christian (4-9)- What a Jungle Game. Seeing the students rush the court after Parker McDonald's 3 point buzzer beater was awesome. That kid will remember that shot for the rest of his life. Wilson took over in the second half of that game and SI had no answer. I do believe this one will be close on VC Senior Night. I'll give the edge to VC in a mild upset.

SHC (3-10)
@ St. Francis (7-6)- Big 2nd half outburst for the Irish against Riordan. Carter is really playing well for SHC. St. Francis will be looking to get back on track after a tough loss to Mitty. I expect the Lancers to win at home, regroup and get ready for CCS Open. The Irish should be very confident going into CCS D3.

Reactions: CityVibesII

Game of the Night 2/18/17

Bellarmine (13-0) @ SI (10-3) - The Bells drubbing of VC by 30 points gave them the league championship for the first time in 16 years. Will the Bells pull off the undefeated league season? How do the Cats rebound from that gut punch loss to Serra in the Jungle Game? The big man Roberts did not play again for the Cats in last game. If he cannot go look for Stubblefield to be the difference in the game and give the Bells the edge and 14-0.

Other Games:

Riordan (1-12) @ Mitty (8-5) - An easy win over the Crusaders would put them solidly in 3rd place this season. I expected more from them but they are heading in the right direction going into the playoffs. Riordan on the other hand got completely demolished by rival SHC in the second half Wednesday night. I watch the game on the Cube and it was the James Chun show early on and Riordan led at the half by 5. The feed went out at halftime but I figured SHC would pull it off in a close game. I found out they won by 20 and Riordan gave up 41 in the second half! Yikes! This team does not defend at all.

Serra (6-7) @ Valley Christian (4-9)- What a Jungle Game. Seeing the students rush the court after Parker McDonald's 3 point buzzer beater was awesome. That kid will remember that shot for the rest of his life. Wilson took over in the second half of that game and SI had no answer. I do believe this one will be close on VC Senior Night. I'll give the edge to VC in a mild upset.

SHC (3-10)
@ St. Francis (7-6)- Big 2nd half outburst for the Irish against Riordan. Carter is really playing well for SHC. St. Francis will be looking to get back on track after a tough loss to Mitty. I expect the Lancers to win at home, regroup and get ready for CCS Open. The Irish should be very confident going into CCS D3.

What was also impressive were the two JV teams. When you consider that both schools return all of their key starters next season and you add those JV guys, Serra and SI ought to be prime contenders in 2017-18. The size on the SI JV unit was particularly eye-opening.

What was also impressive were the two JV teams. When you consider that both schools return all of their key starters next season and you add those JV guys, Serra and SI ought to be prime contenders in 2017-18. The size on the SI JV unit was particularly eye-opening.

Yep - SI will be loaded and deep next year and their 2019 class with this year's JV players plus Robinson and Roberts and two other sophomores on the varsity roster this year will be really good especially deep and talented in the front court albeit thin at guard in 2019.

Indeed. It does appear that SI is poised to make a sustained, multi-season run at the top of the WCAL. Loads of talent (and size) throughout. Long-suffering fans out there in the Sunset District and beyond probably can't wait.

Bellarmine 54
S.I. 45

St. Francis 65
Sacred Heart Cathedral 56 (Irish kept it close until the very end).

Serra 53
Valley Christian 45

Mitty 70
Riordan 56

Bellarmine 54
S.I. 45

St. Francis 65
Sacred Heart Cathedral 56 (Irish kept it close until the very end).

Serra 53
Valley Christian 45

Mitty 70
Riordan 56

The Bellarmine - SI game was a one point game with under a minute to go - Beckman hit a corner 2 that was originally thought to be a 3 so instead of a tie game SI was down by 1. So SI had to resort to fouling and Bellarmine hit a bunch of FTs to win going away.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers
Should have been more clear. SI has not won an outright WCAL varsity hoops title since 1999. Maybe that's not long. Maybe it just seems that way.

Bellarmine has had quite a league title drought as well. I do like the league champ crowned after round robin play vs previous format where you can ridiculously share the league title 3 ways some years (tied during round robin and a different school winning the playoffs).

Bellarmine has had quite a league title drought as well. I do like the league champ crowned after round robin play vs previous format where you can ridiculously share the league title 3 ways some years (tied during round robin and a different school winning the playoffs).
I like the importance of round-robin play. Only tweek would be Top 4 team playoffs (1-4, 2-3, with winner of champion game, lone recipient of title. This is how is was done for years.

I like the importance of round-robin play. Only tweek would be Top 4 team playoffs (1-4, 2-3, with winner of champion game, lone recipient of title. This is how is was done for years.

Some of the best league games in recent history were the WCAL Finals at Foothill. Memorably the Mitty/SHC one Gordon's junior year and Fox/Johns senior year).

Some of the best league games in recent history were the WCAL Finals at Foothill. Memorably the Mitty/SHC one Gordon's junior year and Fox/Johns senior year).

Those were fun and great games to watch, can still see them in Youtube.....Gordon alone stopped SHC from having any WCAL league basketball titles for 3 years...2010-2013, would have been great to get just one then...That whole team with Johns, Fox, Pratt, etc....should be in SHC Hall of Fame eventually.

I do not disagree with you. Should be a semi and champion (with top four teams). Only three more games. held over two nights. Pratt was arguably one of league's best defenders of all time.

He stayed local at the Academy of Art University in SF (which was confirmed by quick Google to make sure my memory wasn't too cloudy...).
SF_Mikey, do you know if any Crusader jv players will be brought up? David Sonnier was on the varsity at the start of the season...Also, any truth that the transfer student is now eligible for the post season? No huge game changers, but some decent height/length to provide depth.
SI should definitely bring up some of their promising JV players as they are skilled and have height/length.

SF_Mikey, do you know if any Crusader jv players will be brought up? David Sonnier was on the varsity at the start of the season...Also, any truth that the transfer student is now eligible for the post season? No huge game changers, but some decent height/length to provide depth.
SI should definitely bring up some of their promising JV players as they are skilled and have height/length.

No insights on the Crusaders front but doubt the transfer student will be eligible for post-season play. I don't know his specific circumstances but find it odd that someone like Bol Bol can become eligible for Mater Dei when transferring from out of state.. (the rich get richer!)

I assume Riordan will need to win CCS DIII or any hopes of NorCal go out the window or does anyone think if they finish second to SHC for example - they'd still have a shot at NorCal regional play?

No insights on the Crusaders front but doubt the transfer student will be eligible for post-season play. I don't know his specific circumstances but find it odd that someone like Bol Bol can become eligible for Mater Dei when transferring from out of state.. (the rich get richer!)

I assume Riordan will need to win CCS DIII or any hopes of NorCal go out the window or does anyone think if they finish second to SHC for example - they'd still have a shot at NorCal regional play?

Per the CIF State handbook (http://www.cifstate.org/sports/basketball/handbooks_forms/2017_North_Regional_BB_Hbook.pdf), it states that the CCS gets 4 automatic entries into the NorCal playoffs. SI gets one of those being in the Open. So, I would assume that the 2 teams that make it to the championship D3 CCS game will also get in. My question is does the CCS get a 4th team in D3? Does anyone know? The handbook also says that "The committe may decide not to fill all brackets".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT