ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL 2017: NORCAL PLAYOFFS

Monroe is turning out to be a nice player to go along with Neal. Oglesby is a good hard nosed role player. Those 3 kids are some good pieces but they are young and are going through growing pains. It's correct that most of their games have been close at halftime and then the bottom falls out because of the lack of adjustments. That can't fall all on the players. Nathan Robinson has been hurt but even when he was healthy he was having a solid but not breakout year which I would have expected from a 3 year varsity player so far. I don't know if he was just trying to get the younger kids comfortable on the team and just fit in. Hope he gets well soon. To say Alfred Hollins would not have made a difference this year is funny. The kid is a talent and will be playing at the next level soon from what I heard. I think the main reason he left is he got tired of the drama from wherever it was coming from and he also wanted to play a more natural position both offensively and defensively. I saw him on TV a couple weeks back and he looked smooth. Wish him nothing but the best as he is a great kid.

We will see what happens the rest of the year and the trip to Bellarmine will be tough as it's always a tough place to play.

Reactions: Irishman32
2012-13 SHC state runner up in d3 lost in OT
2013-14 SHC Lost in 2nd round of Norcals to Drake
2014-15 SHC d3 CCS champions and Lost in 2nd round of Norcals to Campolindo(who I think won or came in second in state in d3 that year)
2015-16 SHC D3 runner up to Riordan lost in 2nd round of Norcals
So it's not like they have been trash

2016-17 SHC so far 7-3 preseason which will qualify them for CCS and so far 0-7 in league
Yes you're right
No Hollins
Hillman excused from the school
Robinson has been hurt for the last 2 games
Youth and inexperience and only 6 months to work with and implement your culture?
But what's the culture or style? Are you a pressing team are you a good halfcourt defensive team? Are you a quick tempo team? Do u run sets to at least try and get good shots?

What is their identity? 6 months is a short time but that's the nature of this league and nowadays everybody wants to see what have you done for me lately? It's what you sign up for if you take a job in the WCAL. I'll say this, I think there have been no issues with parents it seems like so that's a positive but I could be wrong. Hopefully they will get it turned around sooner than later.

Not talking about watered down CCS and NorCals with Open. What was SHC record in League last 4 years? This is a WCAL thread no?

Not talking about watered down CCS and NorCals with Open. What was SHC record in League last 4 years? This is a WCAL thread no?

I'm not sure of the exact win Loss records
2012 3rd place WCAL finish CCS D3 champions open didn't exist to "water it down" state runner up
2013 3rd place WCAL finish CCS open participant
2014 3rd place WCAL finish CCS open participant
2015 5th place WCAL finish "watered down CCS 3 runner up"

I think a lot of schools would be really happy with those "watered down accomplishments" but it's ok to have higher standards expected of you at a school like SHC

I'm not sure of the exact win Loss records
2012 3rd place WCAL finish CCS D3 champions open didn't exist to "water it down" state runner up
2013 3rd place WCAL finish CCS open participant
2014 3rd place WCAL finish CCS open participant
2015 5th place WCAL finish "watered down CCS 3 runner up"

I think a lot of schools would be really happy with those "watered down accomplishments" but it's ok to have higher standards expected of you at a school like SHC

CCS D3 is a joke
Missing my point the last SHC team with a winning record in league play WCAL 2012-13 with a 9-6 record and last years team had 4 wins, so why such high expectations for a team in transition with key player losses, injuries and a new coach? So many SHC so called supporters seem more like haters. You have to go back 4 years for a team above 500 in league play. WCAL is tough didn't Valley go 0-14 and win CCS one year?
SHC or Riordan will win CCS D3

Reactions: Irishman32
CCS D3 is a joke
Missing my point the last SHC team with a winning record in league play WCAL 2012-13 with a 9-6 record and last years team had 4 wins, so why such high expectations for a team in transition with key player losses, injuries and a new coach? So many SHC so called supporters seem more like haters. You have to go back 4 years for a team above 500 in league play. WCAL is tough didn't Valley go 0-14 and win CCS one year?
SHC or Riordan will win CCS D3

Who had expectations? After losing Hillman and Hollins no one in their right mind thought this team would contend for WCAL. Especially with a new system. The thought though was ok coach who knows the league( St francis graduate) coached at a good public school program in San Leandro and was at San Jose City the last couple years. That's why the administration really liked him to come in and put in some of those concepts to the high school game. Hasn't worked out as well so far but the play of Neal, Monroe and Oglesby have been bright spots for this season. Just want to see continued development. Maybe they can hopefully win a "watered down" CCs d3 again this year... if they don't then what do you make of the season?

Who had expectations? Maybe they can hopefully win a "watered down" CCs d3 again this year... if they don't then what do you make of the season?

A complete failure if they don't take home a trophy since they didn't beat SI for the B-M trophy.

Players like Bryce Monroe, Amin Olgelsby and Emmett Neal have shown a lot of talent. I hope they gel into a more cohesive unit by the CCS playoffs.

Last edited:
Wednesday Feb 1st schedule:

Archbishop Mitty @ Junipero Serra (Serra tough at home but I got Mitty in a close one)
Archbishop Riordan @ Valley Christian (VC too much size)
Sacred Heart Cathedral @ Bellarmine (Bells by 10-15 points)
Saint Francis @ Saint Ignatius (SI although I would only be mildly surprised should SF pull off the upset)

Great effort by the Irish, hope they continue improving. Verador, Neal and Dunbar had good games tonight hitting tough shots. Oglesby continues to improve. Way to give the bells a game.

Great effort by the Irish, hope they continue improving. Verador, Neal and Dunbar had good games tonight hitting tough shots. Oglesby continues to improve. Way to give the bells a game.

Yes, the Irish almost won this game. Dunbar made some good plays but his achilles heal is at the foul line missing at least 7 free throws. Not a bad effort for a improving young team.

Reactions: Irish_Cheers

Dunbar couldn't hit a foul shot to save his life. Otherwise, Irish win this thing. Small crowd at Bellarmine.

(If that's too "tock sic" for some people, the ignore feature works.)

Last edited:
Riordan let one slip away tonight - losing 56-47. Riordan led 47-41 with over five minutes to play but VC finished on a 15-0 run to win going away! Total meltdown by Riordan - poor defense, turnovers and missed shots!

Riordan let one slip away tonight - losing 56-47. Riordan led 47-41 with over five minutes to play but VC finished on a 15-0 run to win going away! Total meltdown by Riordan - poor defense, turnovers and missed shots!
SF_Mikey, I was following the Twitter updates and was disappointed to hear the final outcome. It appeared everything unraveled for the Crusaders with 2 minutes left in the game? Live and learn.

All in good fun but Melo has been playing hoops probably all his life and for the life of him he cannot hit a FT. I dont ever recall a point guard who is usually the team's best free throw shooter, shoot FT's at less that 10%. I mean I think DeAndre Jordan makes a higher % than Melo. Will teams go to the Hack-a-Melo technique in close game situations?

Tough loss for SH but they played well vs one of the top teams though Bellarmine looked disinterested playing against the weaker foe. Emmett Neal is a offensive foul drawing machine!!! How many charges did he get on Bellarmine yesterday? 4???

All in good fun but Melo has been playing hoops probably all his life and for the life of him he cannot hit a FT. I dont ever recall a point guard who is usually the team's best free throw shooter, shoot FT's at less that 10%. I mean I think DeAndre Jordan makes a higher % than Melo. Will teams go to the Hack-a-Melo technique in close game situations?

Tough loss for SH but they played well vs one of the top teams though Bellarmine looked disinterested playing against the weaker foe. Emmett Neal is a offensive foul drawing machine!!! How many charges did he get on Bellarmine yesterday? 4???

Good fun at the expense of a HS kid, the culture of you so called SHC supporters is shameful and toxic.....

Hypersensitive. Yet high school kids would not hesitate to post on social media any incident of someone being clowned. Get over it.

HS kids do it all the time on social media, you're to much man. My bad didn't realize you're still in HS. Of course Irish Cheers likes it.

You just don't see this level of haters at any other WCAL schools, its odd.

HS kids do it all the time on social media, you're to much man. My bad didn't realize you're still in HS. Of course Irish Cheers likes it.

You just don't see this level of haters at any other WCAL schools, its odd.

Did you ignore my positive comments about the game and players like Emmett Neal and only focus on me just pointing out that Melo doesn't shoot free throws well? You obviously did.

I was watching two live streams at once. I thought Riordan had that game won.

Week 5

Game of the Night 2/4/17

Bellarmine (9-0) @ St. Francis (6-3)
- Can the Lancers spoil the Bells undeafted season? Bellarmine snuck out a win against SHC on Wednesday night where they did not play their best. A similar performance will end up as a loss against the Lancers. I'm going with the underdog in a close one in Mountain View.

Other Games:

SHC (1-8) @ SI (8-1) - The Irish gave the Bells a run for their money last game and have been playing much better in the past week. Is it enough to knock off the rival Wildcats at home? I say no, although I would not be surprised if this contest was close.

Serra (3-6) @ Riordan (1-8) - The Crusaders led the entire game until they melted down late in the 4th quarter against VC. Serra lost to SHC and got blown out by Mitty last game. I think this will be a close game and the home team wins in a very close game.

Mitty (5-4) @ Valley Christian (3-6)
- The last time these two played Mitty prevailed by 14 points. I see the Warriors closing that gap a bit but Mitty just has too much talent.

Last edited:
Serra vs Riordan streaming live tonight from the Crusader Forum- 6:30pm. I wish all the team's home streaming did not require subscription $ from NFHS NW and LiveStream. It's definitely not a better quality issue vs free from HS Cube, BAOSN.tv or YouTube. Just sayin'

Reactions: Mr. Direct
Week 5

Game of the Night 2/4/17

Bellarmine (9-0) @ St. Francis (6-3)
- Can the Lancers spoil the Bells undeafted season? Bellarmine snuck out a win against SHC on Wednesday night where they did not play their best. A similar performance will end up as a loss against the Lancers. I'm going with the underdog in a close one in Mountain View.

Other Games:

SHC (1-8) @ SI (8-1) - The Irish gave the Bells a run for their money last game and have been playing much better in the past week. Is it enough to knock off the rival Wildcats at home? I say no, although I would not be surprised if this contest was close.

Serra (3-6) @ Riordan (1-8) - The Crusaders led the entire game until they melted down late in the 4th quarter against VC. Serra lost to SHC and got blown out by Mitty last game. I think this will be a close game and the home team wins in a very close game.

Mitty (5-4) @ Valley Christian (3-6)
- The last time these two played Mitty prevailed by 14 points. I see the Warriors closing that gap a bit but Mitty just has too much talent.
Both teams coming off really close games. Different results. Were the Bells looking past SHC, in anticipation of tonight's game? Either way, it will be a dog fight. I think Johnson takes over the game and hits a late bucket to win. SF 62-60
SHC length and athleticism should give the cats some problems this go around. Cats in a close game throughout. 59-57
Jack Wilson finally is a game changer with a 15, 15, 5 game. Riordan could be in trouble if they don't make outside shots. 56-51
Mitty wins another close game throughout. 65-62
I will be surprised if any of these games are decided by more than 8pts

I am curious to see what everyone says, but who has been the WCAL player of the year thus far in the season? From what I have seen, my vote would be cast for Logan Johnson of SF, followed by Riley Grigsby of Mitty as they have carried the largest loads for two very solid squads. I also would put Darrion Trammell of SI into the conversation, and think he would be frontrunner if the Cats were not loaded with so much talent this year. Athens, Wojcik, and Stubblefield of Bellarmine are also in a similar situation because it is hard to choose just one player when all three have been stellar.

Historically if there isnt a clear-cut POY (i.e. Aaron Gordon), they have no problem splitting the award. The award usually goes to a player that is on the first or second place team. It looks like it would be split between Stubblefield and either Grigsby or Johnson.

Week 6

Game of the Night 2/8/17

St. Francis (6-4)
@ Serra (4-6)- I'm going with the Padres in this one. I think they match up fairly well with the Lancers. They lost by 7 in the first meeting but that was in Mountain View. The Lancers will drop to 4th place if the lose this game. Should be a raucous atmosphere in the Jungle.

Other Games:

SI (9-1) @ Valley Christian (3-7) - The Wildcats should beat this Valley Christian squad who just got beat by 20 against Mitty. Too much talent on the Wildcats who haven't really had a big blowout type win since the last time these two played.

Bellarmine (10-0) @ Riordan (1-9) - The last time these two played it wasn't close. I'd expect the same thing again but Bellarmine has seen itself in some close games against teams in the bottom half of the league (Serra, SHC). I don't see the Bells blowing their undefeated season at Riordan though.

SHC (1-9) @ Mitty (6-4)- The Irish have been playing much better basketball and they've had Nathan Robinson back. He gives them some stability on offense especially. They are 1-9 but have been close against Bellarmine, SI. If this game was in SF I'd pick the Irish, but I will take the Monarchs on their home floor.

Reactions: drmarkppd
Watch tonight's Riordan vs. Bellarmine game streamed live from the Crusader Forum - 7:30pm

Irish look good tonight

Yes, they look much better....Mello had some nice moves even made some free throws, Robinson and crew played with good intensity tonight. Always hard to beat Mitty especially at home. Carter missed three or several dunks that he should have made but overall great team effort and IRISH showed some fight.

Last edited:
First SHC win at Mitty in about a decade if im not mistaken. Mitty had about 6 charges called on them. Emmet Neal just makes winning plays. Robinson being back helps a lot and Monroe is back also but played sparingly. Oglesby hit the dagger three in the corner. Mello controlled the tempo of the game and Mitty's guards were not good tonight. They were greatly outplayed and had trouble staying in front of the SHC guards' athleticism.

First SHC win at Mitty in about a decade if im not mistaken. Mitty had about 6 charges called on them. Emmet Neal just makes winning plays. Robinson being back helps a lot and Monroe is back also but played sparingly. Oglesby hit the dagger three in the corner. Mello controlled the tempo of the game and Mitty's guards were not good tonight. They were greatly outplayed and had trouble staying in front of the SHC guards' athleticism.
It was just a matter of time before they started to gel. If you look at their last three games they looked like a contender in this league. You have to remember how late in the process Mckay was hired. Hard to come out firing on all cylinders when you barely got any time with these kids. They will be stronger as the season progresses and a solid bunch next year.

Great win the Irish and a long long time to wait for a win vs Mitty. I've gone to many in this matchup over the years and SH just could not get over that hump. Emmett Neal is a rising star. The kid does everything. Drawing charges is absolutely immeasurable. I think he averages at least 3 a game. He's as good as a defender as Herman Pratt but with better offensive skills. Love this kid.

Momentum is definitely shifting upwards for SH despite losses to the two top teams in league. It appears MacKay has ironed out the wrinkles of this team. Namely the team is committing less turnovers, establishing Neal as their primary go to scorer, defensively Carter is not out of position or overplaying screens plus he is rebounding a lot more. Nice job Coach MacKay.

It was just a matter of time before they started to gel. If you look at their last three games they looked like a contender in this league. You have to remember how late in the process Mckay was hired. Hard to come out firing on all cylinders when you barely got any time with these kids. They will be stronger as the season progresses and a solid bunch next year.

If this is true and things continue the way they are...no one will want to play the IRISH down the stretch with the wind on their back.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT