ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL Game Tuesday 2/12/19

OnBall8

Hall of Famer
Dec 16, 2012
Figured they do this on the boys side so might try to do it here.. we'll see..

Tonight will really start to give us an idea of how the standings could shake out..

AM (2-0) vs SI (1-1)
SHC (2-0) vs SF (1-1)
VC (0-2) vs PHS (0-2)

Mitty and Sacred Heart have a chance to put themselves 2 games ahead of the pack, while SF can give themselves a shot at 2nd place with a win tonight. Valley and Pres battle it out for the cellar spot.

Personal Predictions
AM +30
SHC +10
PHS +3

Every night in this league can have potential playoff implications... makes it fun! Good luck to all the teams

Reactions: TheHillZ
One side note about SHC and SF game tonight. Last season SHC beat SF 4 times. Twice in league and twice in playoffs. SF better win tonight at home or could be another rough season for them against SHC.

Did anyone watch the Mitty game? Wasn't able to drive up, so I stayed local and watched sfhs game. Actually surprised it was within 20.

Moving into the new week the standings are

AM (3-0)
SF (2-1)
SHC (2-1)
SI (1-2)
Pres (1-0)
VC (0-3)

Tuesdays Matchups:
SHC (2-1) @ AM (3-0): I just don't think SHC can match up defensively against AM. Tuttle being out doesn't help the Irish. AM by 24

SF (2-1) @ Pres (1-2):
SF pulled out 2 close ones to put them near the top where I expected them. They can't sleep on Pres who just beat VC by 16. If the panthers can keep Grizelj and Oakland off the boards it could go either way. SF by 5

SI (1-2) @ VC (0-3):
SI played AM close for a little less than a half but was impressive enough to think this could be another ugly one for VC. SI by 22

Did anyone watch the Mitty game? Wasn't able to drive up, so I stayed local and watched sfhs game. Actually surprised it was within 20.
Didn't watch in person but SI kept it close in the 1st half, AM went on a run in the last minute or so to go up 8 into halftime. After the break it was all AM. They pushed the lead past 25 (don't think it got to 30) and then started subbing even deeper into the bench. With a big game against Salesian the next day it was clear they were resting HJ and co once the game was in hand. Lots of cheers from the crowd as reserves from both teams were hitting some shots. Probably kids that don't get to play often. One went down at the final buzzer for SI, hope she is ok.

Reactions: Winning Is Fun
Moving into the new week the standings are

AM (3-0)
SF (2-1)
SHC (2-1)
SI (1-2)
Pres (1-0)
VC (0-3)

Tuesdays Matchups:
SHC (2-1) @ AM (3-0): I just don't think SHC can match up defensively against AM. Tuttle being out doesn't help the Irish. AM by 24

SF (2-1) @ Pres (1-2):
SF pulled out 2 close ones to put them near the top where I expected them. They can't sleep on Pres who just beat VC by 16. If the panthers can keep Grizelj and Oakland off the boards it could go either way. SF by 5

SI (1-2) @ VC (0-3):
SI played AM close for a little less than a half but was impressive enough to think this could be another ugly one for VC. SI by 22

Wow! Vc over SI and Pres over SFHS! Only constant in this league are my Monarchs!

#1 NorCal seed in D1 would be a longshot after the loss to BOD Saturday.

I don't think so. Again, they have a lot of games against ranked teams in league to make up for that loss. Every team in the WCAL is ranked right now. Not to mention that is BOD plays MM in the D2 championship again and wins they will go OPEN.

*Let me remind you SHC didn't have the #1 seed last year and went on the road to win the D1 nor-cal title. St. Francis also went on the road to win a few games. Don't under estimate the WCAL. Every team in that league will be battle tested come Nor Cal time.

Reactions: Winning Is Fun
3 out of 4 teams were wcal in the d1 norcal semis. I believe VC was in final of d2 & Mitty final of open. Nuf' said.

3 out of 4 teams were wcal in the d1 norcal semis. I believe VC was in final of d2 & Mitty final of open. Nuf' said.

You think NCS sending 4 teams to the Open and CCS sending 2 will help their chances? D1 should be a battle this year, as there are a lot of good teams.

Alright.. quite the mix up on Tuesday. The biggest surprise to me was not that pres and valley won, it was the margin of victory for both squads. That leaves the 2-4 spots in the standings all at 2-2 (SF, Pres, SHC) and SI slides into the cellar with valley at 1-3. If SI, VC and AM win Friday, that could put everyone except AM at 2-3. That would make for an interesting second half of the season.

Fridays Matchups:
AM (4-0) @ SF (2-2): Pres took my advice and kept Oakland and Grizelj off the boards (and off the scoreboard) and won. I expect AM will do much of the same and then some. I don't see how SF can matchup defensively with AM. This one may go running clock like most others have. AM by 37.

SI (1-3) @ Pres (2-2): Well.. both teams surprised me in different ways on Tuesday, I still almost have to think that SI had someone out, or at least in some serious foul trouble. Regardless, it sounds like this should be a good one. Assuming everyone is healthy for SI, I am going with them. SI by 3.

VC (1-3) @ SHC (2-2):
Picked against valley in a big way on Tuesday and got burned. So of course I will follow that up by picking against valley on Friday. I think SHC is deeper and better coached than Valley (although I thought that about SI too).. I think I saw enough from the Irish on Tuesday to believe they will win this game. SHC by 16.

Reactions: basketba11
Where the games are played are a major factor. Home team has won most games in WCAL. take mitty out of equation.

Pres lost at shc
VC lost at Pres
SI lost at VC at neutral site shc
SHC lost at SF
SF lost at Pres and at SI.

Reactions: OnBall8
Where the games are played are a major factor. Home team has won most games in WCAL. take mitty out of equation.

Pres lost at shc
VC lost at Pres
SI lost at VC at neutral site shc
SHC lost at SF
SF lost at Pres and at SI.
Thats good stuff. Keep it coming. Your predictions for tomorrow?

So it happened, Mitty is 5 - 0, and the other five teams are all 2 - 3. Another interesting stat, all five of the second place teams have a negative point differential in league games. Which means they have mostly been playing each other close, but got clobbered by Mitty. Finally, per CCS guidelines, all teams have already qualified for the playoffs except for SHC. SHC has to go 3 - 2 in the next 5 games to qualify for the CCS playoffs, or the WCAL has to designate them as an automatic qualifier. I'm not sure what would be involved with such a designation.

All the road teams won and they all won in sweeps (Frosh, jv and varsity). Could quite possibly be the first ever sweep for Valley over SHC.

After a week off from league play the WCAL moves into the second half of the round robin. After AM everyone is tied for 2nd and it should be an interesting 2 and a half weeks...

Friday's games:
VC (2-3) @ AM (5-0): Valley beat both city schools last week, including a blowout against SI and a road win at SHC. Valley might be hitting their stride a little, but Mitty showed on Monday why they are number 1 in norcal. This one will go running clock. AM by 45

SHC (2-3) @ Pres (2-3): Despite the automatic bid thing that was mentioned, I think the Irish will want to leave no doubt and finish league above .500. I look for them to come out inspired in the second half of league. Not sure what happened against valley, but I expect them to bounce back against Pres. Any word on when tuttle will be back?? SHC by 15

SI (2-3) @ SF (2-3): The wildcats started the league season off with an impressive win against the Lancers. That seems like a long time ago now and both teams have had their ups and downs. SF could come out with something to prove after the thumping it took last week, but SI has the coaching edge. SI by 8

Seems like a really good effort by Valley Christian. They may be as likely as any to get the 2nd place spot. And SHC is now officially in danger of not qualifying for the playoffs.

We are getting to sr night territory, so depending on how certain coaches and programs handle that, it could have a factor in some scores.
Looks like all the wcal teams should go CCS open division along with Menlo and Pinewood. And everyone is playing for 2nd because Mitty isn't losing unless Haley Jones gets in foul trouble early and then fouls out in the 3rd.

Mitty by 51 over pres
Vc by 7 over sfhs
Shc by 2 over SI
Yea busy weekend made it hard to get my predictions done in time.. I would have picked SI to get revenge last night. Sounds like 2 tough losses to their rival.
That now puts SI, Pres, VC and SHC all tied in a 4-way tie for 2nd. And SF rounds out the bottom at 2-5 which is still surprising to me.

Reactions: basketba11
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT