ADVERTISEMENT

WCAL Game Tuesday 2/12/19

No worries. Beat 'em anyway. Complaining won't get it done. Sorry. Life isn't fair.
I agree. Just saying. Could be some shenanigans going on there. Need to win 2 of 3 and Mitty is one of those 3. I believe VC is the 3rd. Will be tough regardless of pg coming back or not.

I agree. Just saying. Could be some shenanigans going on there. Need to win 2 of 3 and Mitty is one of those 3. I believe VC is the 3rd. Will be tough regardless of pg coming back or not.

A lot of CCS Division III public schools are hoping SHC wins and gets tossed into the Open Division tourney.

A lot of CCS Division III public schools are hoping SHC wins and gets tossed into the Open Division tourney.
Why would the DIII schools care? If SHC doesn't win 2 out of 3, they don't qualify for CCS DIII playoffs anyway. And if they do qualify for the playoffs, they'll be in the Open division.

Why would the DIII schools care? If SHC doesn't win 2 out of 3, they don't qualify for CCS DIII playoffs anyway. And if they do qualify for the playoffs, they'll be in the Open division.

One can hope.

Who finds it peculiar that you can't find someone to pick up a drape in the gymnasium this day and age? Shc needs to win 2 of 3 to get in and their pg won't be cleared until this week. Freshman and jv teams played in old gym.

Smells awfully fishy to me.....

Where do you get your information? Pg was cleared and played against SI already. Pick up a drape lmao you got all the jokes. I thought you were close to the program? Only thing fish is your source of information :eek:

Where do you get your information? Pg was cleared and played against SI already. Pick up a drape lmao you got all the jokes. I thought you were close to the program? Only thing fish is your source of information :eek:

Hey, I'm close to Mitty program. My bad. I apologize. But it's a freakin drape! Hahahaha

Reactions: straightline50
If they win 2 out of the last 3 they will finish 2nd place over .500 and most likely go OPEN CCS but may fall down to division 2 or 3 for CCS

Tuesday's matchups:
AM @ SHC: Someone mentioned here that Tuttle is back. We will see if she has an impact on the pace of the game for SHC. Unfortunately, the Irish just don't have the firepower to keep up with the monarchs. AM by 37.

Pres @ SF:
The panthers gave it to SF pretty good the first time at home. Now traveling to the lancers place, it might change things some. I think pres pulls it out but by a slimmer margin. Pres by 8.

VC @ SI:
Valley is hot. They started 0-3 and their only loss since came to Mitty. Do they keep the train rolling? Or are they due for a loss at a tough place to play on the road? Valley held SI well below their scoring average last time. Presumably much harder to do at SI. I'm going to take SI in a mini upset pick, but not much confidence behind that, just a gut feeling. SI by 6.

If they win 2 out of the last 3 they will finish 2nd place over .500 and most likely go OPEN CCS but may fall down to division 2 or 3 for CCS

Assuming you meant to say division 2 or 3 for NorCal, since they would have already participated in the CCS Open. I can’t even fathom a scenario that would put a CCS Open team down into D3 for NorCal. They’d have to not be considered one of the top 40 teams in NorCal. Most likely D1, but if they get bounced early in the CCS Open, I could see a scenario that could them drop all the way down to the top of D2.

Tuesday's matchups:
AM @ SHC: Someone mentioned here that Tuttle is back. We will see if she has an impact on the pace of the game for SHC. Unfortunately, the Irish just don't have the firepower to keep up with the monarchs. AM by 37.

Pres @ SF:
The panthers gave it to SF pretty good the first time at home. Now traveling to the lancers place, it might change things some. I think pres pulls it out but by a slimmer margin. Pres by 8.

VC @ SI:
Valley is hot. They started 0-3 and their only loss since came to Mitty. Do they keep the train rolling? Or are they due for a loss at a tough place to play on the road? Valley held SI well below their scoring average last time. Presumably much harder to do at SI. I'm going to take SI in a mini upset pick, but not much confidence behind that, just a gut feeling. SI by 6.
0-3???

Mitty by 26
Vc by 3 at the buzzer
Pres by 7
any insight on the buzzer beater or the pres win??

I wasn't at the AM/SHC game but I heard the Irish did a good job of slowing the game down to a snails pace with fouls. That combined with poor AM shooting lead to a relatively close score (10-15 pts) for most of the game and both team's lowest scoring output since Dec.

I hear VC made a nice comeback late and Dexheimer made a 3 at the buzzer. Scoop on Pres game was they doubled the post and Uyehara was the only one scoring. SF had a lid on their basket and had multiple shots go in and out. Story of their season I guess.

I hear VC made a nice comeback late and Dexheimer made a 3 at the buzzer. Scoop on Pres game was they doubled the post and Uyehara was the only one scoring. SF had a lid on their basket and had multiple shots go in and out. Story of their season I guess.

Winning Is Fun,

Did you call that buzzer beaters? If so inbox me some lots #s :)

that's rough.. I am still a bit perplexed about SF.. there's too much talent to not be in the thick of the log jam that is 2nd-5th place in the wcal..

Reactions: Winning Is Fun
WCAL Standings:
AM 9-0
VC 5-4
Pres 4-5
SHC 3-5*
SI 3-6
SF 2-6*

*Still have to play makeup game 2/12

Friday's Matchups:
SF @ AM: Haley Jones senior night. I'd look for her to put on a show. She put up 41 or so on SF last time including 31 by halftime. Wouldn't be surprised if she does something similar unless SF does something drastically different on defense and somehow limits turnovers. If they guard HJ one-on-one and don't take care of the ball I would expect a similar result as the previous matchup. AM by 45.

Pres @ SI: Wildcats took a tough loss at home. Perhaps senior night will fuel their game. Pres has given everyone tough games. Both teams are well coached in my mind and usually come out with good gameplans. The team with the better adjustments wins. I'll go with the home team for the sake of it. SI by 6.

SHC @ VC: Valley kept it rolling on the road against SI with a buzzer beater win. Going into the last game with plenty of confidence against a desperate SHC team could be the key. I picked against them last game and they won, so I'll pick them tomorrow and they will probably lose.. VC by 5.

that's rough.. I am still a bit perplexed about SF.. there's too much talent to not be in the thick of the log jam that is 2nd-5th place in the wcal..

The WCAL is a physical league. Tough to win without several kids who are bruising rebounders/defenders. Is it fair to state that, in spite of nice skill players, SF just doesn't have enough bruisers? It's not fair to call SF "soft." I hate that word. Kids are who they are. But if you aren't built for power, you can't create it out of whole cloth. And full-court pressure vs. sound teams that handle it routinely is counter-productive much of the time. Having seen SF play four times, it just seems like they would be better off focusing on five-player defensive rebounding, emphasis on half-court defense, judicious use of the shot clock and a focus on limiting turnovers. Oh, and get the ball to the big center where she can do serious damage (high-low perhaps?). And get it to her a lot. A lot. You have to make the most out of what you have. By the way, I get it _ high post/low post action is becoming a lost art form. The offensive emphasis now is on treys, pressing and uptempo all the way. Hello, AAU. But some teams aren't suited for that long-term. It works vs. weak units; but get up against better athletes and you are in deep doo-doo. I digress. Sorry about that. Can't control the computer keys anymore. It just spits out ala Tom Wolfe or Ken Kesey. Stream of consciousness baloney.

Last edited:
The WCAL is a physical league. Tough to win without several kids who are bruising rebounders/defenders. Is it fair to state that, in spite of nice skill players, SF just doesn't have enough bruisers? It's not fair to call SF "soft." I hate that word. Kids are who they are. But if you aren't built for power, you can't create it out of whole cloth.
To play devil's advocate.. they have a 6'3" Division 1 post player.. no one else in the league has that (of course HJ can play all 5 positions so you could say her). I will give you that after her the bigs are lacking but I am still of the mindset that she could be used more effectively against a fairly small league this year. So your point of "you have to make the most out of what you have" can go both ways. And saying "kids are who they are" could also be turned around to say "coaches are who they are"... SF is not less talented than Valley who has figured out a way to get a respectable number of wins.

WCAL Standings:
AM 9-0
VC 5-4
Pres 4-5
SHC 3-5*
SI 3-6
SF 2-6*

*Still have to play makeup game 2/12

Friday's Matchups:
SF @ AM: Haley Jones senior night. I'd look for her to put on a show. She put up 41 or so on SF last time including 31 by halftime. Wouldn't be surprised if she does something similar unless SF does something drastically different on defense and somehow limits turnovers. If they guard HJ one-on-one and don't take care of the ball I would expect a similar result as the previous matchup. AM by 45.

Pres @ SI: Wildcats took a tough loss at home. Perhaps senior night will fuel their game. Pres has given everyone tough games. Both teams are well coached in my mind and usually come out with good gameplans. The team with the better adjustments wins. I'll go with the home team for the sake of it. SI by 6.

SHC @ VC: Valley kept it rolling on the road against SI with a buzzer beater win. Going into the last game with plenty of confidence against a desperate SHC team could be the key. I picked against them last game and they won, so I'll pick them tomorrow and they will probably lose.. VC by 5.
SHC by 10

To play devil's advocate.. they have a 6'3" Division 1 post player.. no one else in the league has that (of course HJ can play all 5 positions so you could say her). I will give you that after her the bigs are lacking but I am still of the mindset that she could be used more effectively against a fairly small league this year. So your point of "you have to make the most out of what you have" can go both ways. And saying "kids are who they are" could also be turned around to say "coaches are who they are"... SF is not less talented than Valley who has figured out a way to get a respectable number of wins.

Your views are well-taken.

I agree with both your takes. I have been perplexed all season long as to why SF does not feed the post ALL DAY LONG. Yes, she is a D1 player, but she is also an excellent passer. She is the biggest girl on the court in almost all of their games sans Mitty. SF wants to shoot 3's so badly and it comes at the cost of getting the ball inside to their D1 post. And what better way to get open shots on the perimeter than to work inside out? The ball should be in their PG and Post's hands ALL GAME LONG. They have starters shooting the 3 at less than 20% for the season. That's not going to win you games in the WCAL.

I think this is all about the coach's philosophy here. Former Pinewood player wants to run a Pinewood system. If you don't have the same horses as Pinewood it is VERY hard to do that. You need to work with what you have. I personally would like to see them press more. I think they have some good athletes out there. Let them see if they can get other teams to turn over the ball more than they do.

Real shame, I think they should have done better in league.

Reactions: OnBall8
The WCAL is a physical league. Tough to win without several kids who are bruising rebounders/defenders. Is it fair to state that, in spite of nice skill players, SF just doesn't have enough bruisers? It's not fair to call SF "soft." I hate that word. Kids are who they are. But if you aren't built for power, you can't create it out of whole cloth. And full-court pressure vs. sound teams that handle it routinely is counter-productive much of the time. Having seen SF play four times, it just seems like they would be better off focusing on five-player defensive rebounding, emphasis on half-court defense, judicious use of the shot clock and a focus on limiting turnovers. Oh, and get the ball to the big center where she can do serious damage (high-low perhaps?). And get it to her a lot. A lot. You have to make the most out of what you have. By the way, I get it _ high post/low post action is becoming a lost art form. The offensive emphasis now is on treys, pressing and uptempo all the way. Hello, AAU. But some teams aren't suited for that long-term. It works vs. weak units; but get up against better athletes and you are in deep doo-doo. I digress. Sorry about that. Can't control the computer keys anymore. It just spits out ala Tom Wolfe or Ken Kesey. Stream of consciousness baloney.

They do have a couple of "bruiser" types on the bench (Allard, Younger Grizelj), but they would rather run the Pinewood style. I for one would like to see the younger Grizelj get more playing time. She looks athletic and is a strong rebounder whenever she gets minutes. She can't shoot any worse than the ones that are already starting.

Hell even just by posting up hard you are going to garner attention from the D without ever having to touch the ball. On top of that you put yourself in position for off. rebs. In my mind there's 2 positive results that could occur before the post even touches the ball to work inside out like you said, or score.

And to your point about the younger grizelj, if they weren't going to play her why even bring her up as a frosh?? They left another strong athlete down on JV and they could have been a force together on that level. I haven't seen SF play enough times to gauge her PT over the course of the entire season, but sitting the bench as a frosh on varsity is wasteful. The WCAL has a good JV league, kids will get better with playing time. This isn't Los Gatos where you might be forced to hoard the limited talent onto varsity....

You can't just throw it into the post because you have a 6'3 post. If that 6'3 post hasn't been taught how to play from low post to high post and their footwork isn't sound. If they are more comfortable playing 19 feet from the basket than they feel playing 5 feet from the basket there are some deeper issues. There aren't a lot of coaches teaching proper offensive and defensive footwork in the post any more. All you have to do is go watch HS games and you can see that right away. So, if you don't go to Pete Newell's camp every year or have a coach that teaches proper post footwork then you get what you get. Everyone wanting to run to the 3 point line. Guards that don't know how to make post entry passes is also a problem. College coaches hate it because they are having to teach it at their level.

Reactions: colhenrylives
You can't just throw it into the post because you have a 6'3 post. If that 6'3 post hasn't been taught how to play from low post to high post and their footwork isn't sound. If they are more comfortable playing 19 feet from the basket than they feel playing 5 feet from the basket there are some deeper issues. There aren't a lot of coaches teaching proper offensive and defensive footwork in the post any more. All you have to do is go watch HS games and you can see that right away. So, if you don't go to Pete Newell's camp every year or have a coach that teaches proper post footwork then you get what you get. Everyone wanting to run to the 3 point line. Guards that don't know how to make post entry passes is also a problem. College coaches hate it because they are having to teach it at their level.
All your points are very valid and I completely agree. Specific to this particular post player, she proved to be at least serviceable and effective in the high and low post positions in her early years under a different coach. While you can't play the game of "what-ifs", I think its safe to say that building on what she had done as a sohp, she would be getting a heck of a lot more paint touches with him at the helm. I'm sure coach Thomas sees the potential in that aspect at the next level, including her passing ability like WIF touched upon, rather than being a perimeter ball handler.

Very good points.

Fridays Results:
AM 80 - SF 23
SI 54 - Pres 41
SHC 62 - VC 58

The (Almost) Final Standings:
AM 10-0
VC 5-5
SHC 4-5*
Pres 4-6
SI 4-6
SF 2-7*

SF @ SHC: Do we have an answer about the auto-bid thing that was brought up? Is this do or die for the Irish? Do the Lancers even want to win? Do they have a chance being put in D2 for CCS with a loss, or are they destined for another AM matchup as the 8 seed? With a big win on the road at VC, I have to imagine SHC takes care of business against SF. The last win for the Lancers was against the Irish 7 games ago but I see SHC getting better since Jan and I don't really see that from SF. SHC by 10

Fridays Results:
AM 80 - SF 23
SI 54 - Pres 41
SHC 62 - VC 58

The (Almost) Final Standings:
AM 10-0
VC 5-5
SHC 4-5*
Pres 4-6
SI 4-6
SF 2-7*

SF @ SHC: Do we have an answer about the auto-bid thing that was brought up? Is this do or die for the Irish? Do the Lancers even want to win? Do they have a chance being put in D2 for CCS with a loss, or are they destined for another AM matchup as the 8 seed? With a big win on the road at VC, I have to imagine SHC takes care of business against SF. The last win for the Lancers was against the Irish 7 games ago but I see SHC getting better since Jan and I don't really see that from SF. SHC by 10

There is no auto-bid. They are below .500 in the pre-season and need to win to be .500 in league to qualify. This is do or die for the Irish. It seems as if that post game championship celebration for the Lancers against SHC was actually the championship for them being their last win lol. With Milan Tuttle back for the Irish I don't see them losing this one. SHC by 15

Reactions: OnBall8
I think shc will win as well. Big game for them. Sfhs is in a big slump. Do you think they still get in open if they lose? Hard to see that.

I think shc will win as well. Big game for them. Sfhs is in a big slump. Do you think they still get in open if they lose? Hard to see that.

Hard to tell. What is looks like to me in the CCS Open is Mitty, Pinewood, VC, Palo Alto, Menlo, Presentation, SI, winner of SHC SFHS. This game has a lot riding on it. For SFHS a win means heading to the CCS Open but also an at large Nor Cal bid. Otherwise going into their diving and having to win that to qualify for Nor Cal

All wcal schools will be in the open.
No wbal teams other than pinewood has a win over a wcal school. No wbal team should get seeded higher than the lst place wcal team. Pinewood is the execption at #2 seed. No public schools should be in the open discussion. 3rd place wbal escp shouldn't be in the discussion.

No wbal teams other than pinewood has a win over a wcal school. No wbal team should get seeded higher than the lst place wcal team. Pinewood is the execption at #2 seed. No public schools should be in the open discussion. 3rd place wbal escp shouldn't be in the discussion.
So menlo is completely out of the discussion at 20-3 with the 3 losses coming to Pinewood twice and SI? I get they lack a quality win, but I would think they have to be in the discussion whether they want to be or not...

If SF loses tomorrow they are out of the Open. I don't think they will put the last place team in who has lost 8 in a row. For them only to play Mitty the first round. We will see after tomorrow. It will be a very interesting game

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT