ADVERTISEMENT

Week 2 Scores

All but one of the games between the two schools has been played from 2013-2021 while Folsom has been the dominant program in the region. The earliest game was in 2009 which you could argue was the beginning of the modern incarnation of Folsom football. The two schools tend to bounce around between Division 1 and Division 2, so they have missed each other in the post-season except in that first meeting.
Ok, well that would explain it somewhat, but I figured both teams have been in the same league even before 2009. Still seems kinda weird. Thanks for the explanation

Wow, that's hard to believe, GB has had some outstanding teams, and a State Championship team. Hmmmm......

I think they didn't play the year GB won a state title, but played the next year in what was likely the best matchup between the two programs.

I think they didn't play the year GB won a state title, but played the next year in what was likely the best matchup between the two programs.
You are correct. Granite Bay was in the SFL and Division 1 in 2012. Folsom was in the Delta River League and Division 2 for the SJS playoffs. They went 14-0 until losing in the Nor Cal Open playoff game vs De la Salle.

Closest GB has ever come to Folsom. Am I right that GB has never won a varsity football game against Folsom? Just don't recall that ever happened.
I think that is right. Granite Bay won the state championship game in 2012 but they and Folsom were in different divisions that year. They played each other in the playoffs of 2009 where Folsom beat GB. But in truth, Folsom was been a powerhouse team for a much shorter time than Granite Bay; really being notable since 2012. Granite Bay and Folsom have been in the same league only since 2014. Before that, Folsom was in the old Delta and Delta River leagues while Granite Bay has been in mostly the Sierra Foothill and Metro leagues. And both teams would teeter between division I and division II for playoff purposes often being opposite of each other. Before 2012, Folsom was often one and out in the playoffs if in deed that actually made the playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: remc and bella123
I think that is right. Granite Bay won the state championship game in 2012 but they and Folsom were in different divisions that year. They played each other in the playoffs of 2009 where Folsom beat GB. But in truth, Folsom was been a powerhouse team for a much shorter time than Granite Bay; really being notable since 2012. Granite Bay and Folsom have been in the same league only since 2014. Before that, Folsom was in the old Delta and Delta River leagues while Granite Bay has been in mostly the Sierra Foothill and Metro leagues. And both teams would teeter between division I and division II for playoff purposes often being opposite of each other. Before 2012, Folsom was often one and out in the playoffs if in deed that actually made the playoffs.

Wait, you can give us a great write up like that, but don’t have the 5 minutes a week to do pick-ems this year?:confused:

Good post, but I think Folsom started their run a little earlier--2009. Folsom lost in the semi-finals in 2009 (only two losses on the year by a TOTAL of two point), won a State Bowl Game in 2010 with loads of returning starters, and lost the Section Championship in 2011 after those guys graduated. In fairness to them, I'd say that the modern Folsom era started in 2009. At least 2010 with the Division 2 bowl game.

Not a big deal, really. Just nitpicking dates.

Good post, but I think Folsom started their run a little earlier--2009. Folsom lost in the semi-finals in 2009 (only two losses on the year by a TOTAL of two point), won a State Bowl Game in 2010 with loads of returning starters, and lost the Section Championship in 2011 after those guys graduated. In fairness to them, I'd say that the modern Folsom era started in 2009. At least 2010 with the Division 2 bowl game.

Not a big deal, really. Just nitpicking dates.
Yeah, I agree with you - I just realized the database on Maxpreps is not working right for 2010. I should have remembered since I was at the 2010 Folsom/Serra-Gardena Bowl game. 2009 is the notable beginning of Folsom's perennial powerhouse status.

Yeah, I agree with you - I just realized the database on Maxpreps is not working right for 2010. I should have remembered since I was at the 2010 Folsom/Serra-Gardena Bowl game. 2009 is the notable beginning of Folsom's perennial powerhouse status.
Yeah, what is the deal with that? I was trying to access 2010 on the CalPreps site and was WONKY. MaxPreps ratings are linked to CalPreps, so I'm guessing the problem is on the CalPreps side.

Reactions: FBAddict
Yeah, what is the deal with that? I was trying to access 2010 on the CalPreps site and was WONKY. MaxPreps ratings are linked to CalPreps, so I'm guessing the problem is on the CalPreps side.
I reached out to Ned (CalPreps) about this issue. He usually responds in a flash but I haven't heard back yet. Once he discovers the problem, he will fix it fast if indeed its on his side.

Reactions: MTsince2004
Granite Bay is 0-9 vs. Folsom, according to Max Preps.

That's what I thought. I can remember watching Jake Browning hitting multiple passes right over Cam Smith's head in the matchup with what was likely GB's best team during that period. Funny, now they play on the same team, right?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT