ADVERTISEMENT

Week 6 Scoreboard

SFL looks really strong this season, non league record, going 26-4. Scoring 1075 pts, to 360 allowed, outscoring opponents by 700 plus in 5 weeks. It's going to be a war. I wouldn't be surprised to see all these teams playoff bound. Folsom wih the marquee win.

Oak Ridge 5-0
Del Oro 5-0
Granite Bay 5-0
Folsom 4-1
Rocklin 4-1
Whitney 3-2

SFL looks really strong this season, non league record, going 26-4. Scoring 1075 pts, to 360 allowed, outscoring opponents by 700 plus in 5 weeks. It's going to be a war. I wouldn't be surprised to see all these teams playoff bound. Folsom wih the marquee win.

Oak Ridge 5-0
Del Oro 5-0
Granite Bay 5-0
Folsom 4-1
Rocklin 4-1
Whitney 3-2
I’ve been saying it all year. Best I’ve seen it in years. Top to bottom best league in norcal.I have to laugh because OR was ranked like 17th by sac bee in just the sac area pre season and NCP didn’t even have them in top 25. I told you after they throttled Sheldon in scrimmage don’t look past them.

Can't comapre apples to oranges. SoCal schools are operating on a whole other level and explotiong things that are severly boderline.

I like what we have in NorCal. Much more pure HSFB. Let's keep it that way.
It’s not a comparison. It’s a fact of what DLS who may never do what they have done ever again. Don’t know if you know this, but they played Oak Hill Academy two years in a row in basketball. They never turned down top notch programs. So I will say it again, and yes you are right when it comes to pure football, agree 100 percent. But can Serra and Folsom take on some out of state top 50 teams, cause a few of them are pure as well.

Rocklin is now 4 -0 since losing to Turlock 14 - 7 in the first game. Turlock is 2 -3 with the three losses to Clovis West and Central, 4th and 5th ranked in the Central section in Maxpreps, and Manteca, 2nd in the Sac-Joaquin section in Maxpreps, (the games were not close), and a road victory over Clayton Valley Charter. That first win over Rocklin was a hard-fought game but not a fluke. I still think Turlock played too difficult of a non-conference schedule, as it was easily the second hardest in the southern half of the section after Central Catholic. But, the intent was to toughen up the team for the post season, as the league will not provide that, with the exception of Downey. They are undefeated but have played no one even close to Turlock's opponents. But, you play who you're scheduled against, and if they can come to Turlock and beat them then good for them. That's why they play the games.

While I agree with what you say here, I will add that Rocklin is nowhere near the level they were last season — specifically when the team was led by QB Kenny Lueth and OL/DL Bobby Piland.

The offense is WAY down, although their Sr. RB Elias Brown is pretty good and Soph Mavrik Collins looks to be up-and-coming.

The defense is still pretty good but missing the size and physicality they had the last couple seasons.

The SFL is gonna be an interesting dogfight, I think, as there seems to be a lot of parity among all teams. Although it’s quite possible Rocklin ends up in the bottom 3.

I have always said it, in Nor Cal to be what a De La Salle was, the wins have to run off. A real streak needs to happen. With that said it is hard to compare Serra, Folsom, DLS to the South Powers. I mean hell when one team has 20 plus D1 players, it’s like if one of the three mentioned teams played a small D5 school, game wouldn’t even be close.

So what do we have, Serra, Folsom, and then a DLS team who doesn’t even come close to many DLS teams of the past. And what’s crazy to me is Serra didn’t beat or dominate either team, although they did win, and the second best team was on the ropes and had one last goal line stop happened, I find it interesting that this DLS team would be 2nd best in Nor Cal.

Let’s combine the best players from DLS, Folsom, Serra, Pitt, OR, DO, MA, etc. and field that team in the Open! ;) /s

Reactions: championcif75
Let’s combine the best players from DLS, Folsom, Serra, Pitt, OR, DO, MA, etc. and field that team in the Open! ;) /s
That’s not possible, we all know that. Would be nice, but we can’t travel kids like that. And to be honest if we did, I don’t know if that all takes down the number 1 in the nation

That’s not possible, we all know that. Would be nice, but we can’t travel kids like that. And to be honest if we did, I don’t know if that all takes down the number 1 in the nation

Eh, the talent on both sides would be on par and IMO the North has the better coaches — who always have to do more with less.

Clearly my original comment was tongue-in-cheek and marked as such, but the point was that the talent in SoCal isn’t better than NorCal — it’s just compiled better on a few all-star teams. NorCal could theoretically do the same and be just as lethal.

Hell, those SoCal team even raid our teams for their talent!

While through sheer population numbers SoCal has more players, on average, if you compiled the top 50 players from North and South on to 2 teams — that’s a competitive game.

If we compile teams from North and South from the past 25 years, I sure like our QB depth of Rodgers, Brady and Allen. ;) lol

Last edited:
MC could play with plenty of d1 programs. I have no doubt they could have beaten st Marys last night. You can’t compare too Antioch. Maybe Liberty.
Agree! This young St. Mary’s has yet to play 4 complete quarters in a game since the 47-7 win versus Central Catholic. Manteca is stacked!

Oops! Thought you were talking about Manteca. You meant Marin Catholic, right? I’ll respectfully change my opinion to a “maybe” only because St. Mary’s performance last night outside of the 1st quarter was terrible (worst this year) and their consistency of play over the last 3 games could be much better, and I’m not so sure how good Marin Catholic is this year. It’s like St. Mary’s takes their opposition lightly and stops trying. Last night’s game was, if anything an awakening. Per one of the player’s dad, his son shared that last night’s game was a wake up call and they were relieved to have come away with the win (despite the poor performance). Trust me, this St. Mary’s team is a lot better than displayed last night. But, based on that performance, MC probably would have won if St. Mary’s played like they did last night. Any given Friday! St. Mary’s only D1 because they play in a D1 league. But, they have had much success in D1 despite the size of their school (getting smaller). When my sons attended St. Mary’s, their enrollment was in the 1200 range. Tuition cost relative to affordability here in Stockton, and possibly the COVID-19 crisis, has led to a decrease in enrollment.

St. Mary’s enrollment: 821 students
Marin Catholic enrollment: 772 students
Serra enrollment: 830 students (all boys)
Jesuit enrollment: 1000 students (all boys)
De La Salle enrollment: 1040 students (all boys)

I really don’t know how good MC is but Manteca would definitely take out St. Mary’s last night. Like I said, they are stacked!

Last edited:
Reactions: RidgeRider
I’ve been saying it all year. Best I’ve seen it in years. Top to bottom best league in norcal.I have to laugh because OR was ranked like 17th by sac bee in just the sac area pre season and NCP didn’t even have them in top 25. I told you after they throttled Sheldon in scrimmage don’t look past them.
Because they haven't played anyone with a pulse and backed up against their own decent game against Bellarmine.

While I agree with what you say here, I will add that Rocklin is nowhere near the level they were last season — specifically when the team was led by QB Kenny Lueth and OL/DL Bobby Piland.

The offense is WAY down, although their Sr. RB Elias Brown is pretty good and Soph Mavrik Collins looks to be up-and-coming.

The defense is still pretty good but missing the size and physicality they had the last couple seasons.

The SFL is gonna be an interesting dogfight, I think, as there seems to be a lot of parity among all teams. Although it’s quite possible Rocklin ends up in the bottom 3.
Collins is a nice suprise, as is keeley. I totally agree that the offense is down, as evidence of points scored. They are struggling to spin the ball, it's there, just can't connect. I honestly think, as a unit the defense is a nightmare despite less talent then last season they change fronts seamlessly, so many looks, late stems and exotics tailored to opponents weekly. The dline with Patton and Keeley have impressed. The secondary is phenomenal. I can't wait to see Dhouston back this week, props to Larson in his stead.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThunderRam
Collins is a nice suprise, as is keeley. I totally agree that the offense is down, as evidence of points scored. They are struggling to spin the ball, it's there, just can't connect. I honestly think, as a unit the defense is a nightmare despite less talent then last season they change fronts seamlessly, so many looks, late stems and exotics tailored to opponents weekly. The dline with Patton and Keeley have impressed. The secondary is phenomenal. I can't wait to see Dhouston back this week, props to Larson in his stead.

Good stuff. I agree.

Yeah, I‘ve been eager to see Derek Houston back in the lineup. Last I saw him on the sidelines he was still on crutches. Glad to hear he’s returning soon. I hadn’t heard anything about that.

That should kick things up a notch for the Thunder defense and hopefully give them a good chance to compete well in the SFL.

They just need the offense to pick it up and, specifically the passing game, to get defenders off Elias Brown. Collins speed can be a huge asset if they can make the connection work more consistently.

Reactions: Santa Ball
Agree! This young St. Mary’s has yet to play 4 complete quarters in a game since the 47-7 win versus Central Catholic. Manteca is stacked!

Oops! Thought you were talking about Manteca. You meant Marin Catholic, right? I’ll respectfully change my opinion to a “maybe” only because St. Mary’s performance last night outside of the 1st quarter was terrible (worst this year) and their consistency of play over the last 3 games could be much better, and I’m not so sure how good Marin Catholic is this year. It’s like St. Mary’s takes their opposition lightly and stops trying. Last night’s game was, if anything an awakening. Per one of the player’s dad, his son shared that last night’s game was a wake up call and they were relieved to have come away with the win (despite the poor performance). Trust me, this St. Mary’s team is a lot better than displayed last night. But, based on that performance, MC probably would have won if St. Mary’s played like they did last night. Any given Friday! St. Mary’s only D1 because they play in a D1 league. But, they have had much success in D1 despite the size of their school (getting smaller). When my sons attended St. Mary’s, their enrollment was in the 1200 range. Tuition cost relative to affordability here in Stockton, and possibly the COVID-19 crisis, has led to a decrease in enrollment.

St. Mary’s enrollment: 821 students
Marin Catholic enrollment: 772 students
Serra enrollment: 830 students (all boys)
Jesuit enrollment: 1000 students (all boys)
De La Salle enrollment: 1040 students (all boys)

I really don’t know how good MC is but Manteca would definitely take out St. Mary’s last night. Like I said, they are stacked!
More on St. Mary’s-Stockton …

The Rams are good this year but maybe overrated based on the Central Catholic game, because performance vs St. Ignatius, Bishop O’Dowd, and last night vs Cardinal Newman, just wasn’t impressive at all. Each game had their moments. But football as we all know it is comprised of 4 quarters and a very good mature high school team will play well “every” single play and “every” single quarter and “every” single game. St. Mary’s is NOT a very good mature high school football team this season. They’re good. They’re young. And if they can put it altogether and play well every play and every quarter, they can potentially beat if not at least compete with “any” NorCal team, including the SFL teams and DLS. But, anything short, they are just a good team and not a very good team and could potentially lose to any other good team and get destroyed by any very good team. Now, next year, … next year, St. Mary’s has not only the potential to be a very good team, but a great team and will definitely be a force for any team in NorCal, including the SFL teams and the like of DLS and Pittsburg. In summary, low expectations this year, higher expectations next year. GO RAMS!!!

While I agree with what you say here, I will add that Rocklin is nwhere near the level they were last season — specifically when the team was led by QB Kenny Lueth and OL/DL Bobby Piland.

And I agree with what you have said. I did not see the game last year but although Turlock was missing their quarterback and other players it wouldn't have made any difference if they had played. Some teams can remain pretty steady from year to year as they basically just reload. Some lose a lot of starters and aren't up to what they had the year before. Turlock had that last year but was really hurt by key injuries and COVID. This year their league is incredibly weak, other than Downey, and both teams should steamroll the rest of the teams and hope it will give them a reasonable seeding in the playoffs. Turlock has had some success with first round games but has not made it past the second.

Reactions: ThunderRam
St. John Bosco draws from a bigger area.

So what. Doesn’t change the overarching point.

Not only that, we’re talking about a 40-50 player roster to compete with their all-star team roster — not building 4-5 separate rosters.

They could fill out more teams with the amount of talent they have. But two separate 50 players rosters?

Yeah, NorCal could easily compete. Which again was the overarching point.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT